IAAF 'World Series Events' in Peril


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

IAAF 'World Series Events' in Peril

Postby Marlow » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:19 am

From home-page-linked Kenyan article:

Events like World Half Marathon, World Cross Country, the Continental Cup (formerly World Cup) and World Youth championships are getting no bidders and are almost dying.
Television is also becoming a problem since they do not want to cover some events because they are not attractive and they do not get sponsors

If they can't be self-sustaining, then they should indeed cease to exist. That's easy for me to say since I'm not particularly interested in any of them, but I am worried about the collateral damage to other fixtures I do want to be retained (or initiated, like the Relays Championship).
Marlow
 
Posts: 21080
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: IAAF 'World Series Events' in Peril

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:27 am

Of course the problem is the Half Marathon and the WC became dual meets. Which is of course too bad. The WCCC were the best in their heydays. Just racing without worrying about time.

Maybe they could add a swimming portion. Or they could sell the Nazi house in Monaco and use the proceeds to support these events.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: IAAF 'World Series Events' in Peril

Postby Halfmiler2 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:33 pm

I'd hate to see WCCC (or is it WXC?) eliminated completely. Could they not limit the number of teams/athletes via regional competition to reduce the cost? Likewise some of the other events.
Halfmiler2
 
Posts: 1637
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: IAAF 'World Series Events' in Peril

Postby Ned Ryerson » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:55 pm

Halfmiler2 wrote:I'd hate to see WCCC (or is it WXC?) eliminated completely. Could they not limit the number of teams/athletes via regional competition to reduce the cost? Likewise some of the other events.


If you're a potential bidder, you have to ask: why do I want to lose money on this?
Ned Ryerson
 
Posts: 698
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:54 pm

Re: IAAF 'World Series Events' in Peril

Postby gh » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:32 pm

Halfmiler2 wrote:I'd hate to see WCCC (or is it WXC?) eliminated completely. Could they not limit the number of teams/athletes via regional competition to reduce the cost? Likewise some of the other events.


The adding of athletes to any major affair is a very small incremental cost and I suspect even halving the number wouldn't change the bottom line much.

All the heavy lifting still needs to be done, which if you're a bidder means finding a suitable site, arranging for whatever public/private lands need to be closed for a significant part of a day, arranging a TV contract, and setting up a volunteer organization to handle housing, transportation, hospitality, etc., etc.

Need to remember that the IAAF model is that bid cities pretty much have to be self-sustaining in these endeavors.
gh
 
Posts: 46319
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: IAAF 'World Series Events' in Peril

Postby Powell » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:54 am

gh wrote:Need to remember that the IAAF model is that bid cities pretty much have to be self-sustaining in these endeavors.


But from what I understand, the cities hosting these money-losing championship events do get financing from the IAAF.
Powell
 
Posts: 9063
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Vanuatu

Re: IAAF 'World Series Events' in Peril

Postby gh » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:41 am

Whatever they pay, it's obviously not enough.
gh
 
Posts: 46319
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: IAAF 'World Series Events' in Peril

Postby KevinM » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:29 pm

The alarming part of this to me is that it seems that the IAAF is in triage mode, lopping off limbs (World XC, peripheral outdoor meets) to save...what, one meet?
KevinM
 
Posts: 2645
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: IAAF 'World Series Events' in Peril

Postby Conor Dary » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:03 pm

KevinM wrote:The alarming part of this to me is that it seems that the IAAF is in triage mode, lopping off limbs (World XC, peripheral outdoor meets) to save...what, one meet?


Who knows, but interest in the W XC has definitely tanked, so saying goodbye isn't too surprising.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: IAAF 'World Series Events' in Peril

Postby gh » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:21 pm

Not sure what you find so alarming. The IAAF is lopping off unproductive properties. Just a normal part of any big company's housecleaning efforts. It's when companies don't take a needed axe to something that I worry.
gh
 
Posts: 46319
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: IAAF 'World Series Events' in Peril

Postby KevinM » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:06 pm

gh wrote:Not sure what you find so alarming. The IAAF is lopping off unproductive properties. Just a normal part of any big company's housecleaning efforts. It's when companies don't take a needed axe to something that I worry.


I'm talking about a general health of the sport alarm - not health of the governing body.
KevinM
 
Posts: 2645
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: IAAF 'World Series Events' in Peril

Postby gh » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:48 am

the "general health alarm" has been going off for decades :(
gh
 
Posts: 46319
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: IAAF 'World Series Events' in Peril

Postby Powell » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:27 am

gh wrote:Whatever they pay, it's obviously not enough.


Then maybe they should make Bydgoszcz the permament host of these events :P From what I heard, they were happy enough with the deals they got from the IAAF (they hosted the WYC in '99, WJC in '08, WXC in '10 and will do so again in '13).
Powell
 
Posts: 9063
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Vanuatu

Re: IAAF 'World Series Events' in Peril

Postby doug5321 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:11 am

Conor Dary wrote:Of course the problem is the Half Marathon and the WC became dual meets. Which is of course too bad. The WCCC were the best in their heydays. Just racing without worrying about time.

Maybe they could add a swimming portion. Or they could sell the Nazi house in Monaco and use the proceeds to support these events.



the world xc and half marathon will be at least tri meets soon, with rupp, ritz, solinsky when he gets healthy, if lagat would run xc or a half marathon, up and comers like chris derrick, vets still holding on like teg, and also the talented jager, and more the USA can be a factor.

lagat 7:29 for 3000 and 12:53 for 5000
solinsky 12:55 for 5000 and 26:59 for 10000
ritz 12:56 for 5000 and 60:00 even for the half marathon
teg 12 58 for 5000 and 27:28 for 10000
rupp 12:58 for 5000 and 26:48 for 10000
chris derrick 27:30 for 10000 just finished college.
jager 8:06 for steeple and 7:35 for steeple

USA can definetly be a factor with these and new finds seemingly every year,

also i am thinking maybe uganda can have a good team with the country inspired by winning the olympic marathon and they have had other good runners kipsiro, boniface kirui, kisorio, some good young steeplers.

also tanzania has produced a lot of good distance runners though not lately, not sure why the dropoff but the talent is probably still there just not developed.

one thing i would do for example to keep the world xc going is have it also be other continental championships WITHIN THE WORLD XC, if european countries dont thinink they can compete with the kenyans, americans, ethiopians etc. since the race would also be the european championships the top european team in the race could be 10th overall, but would be the european champs, by doing this the europe teams would come even if being a top 3-5 team is extremely unlikely.
doug5321
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:08 pm

Re: IAAF 'World Series Events' in Peril

Postby dj » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:46 am

doug5321 wrote:one thing i would do for example to keep the world xc going is have it also be other continental championships WITHIN THE WORLD XC, if european countries dont thinink they can compete with the kenyans, americans, ethiopians etc. since the race would also be the european championships the top european team in the race could be 10th overall, but would be the european champs, by doing this the europe teams would come even if being a top 3-5 team is extremely unlikely.


I doubt the EAA or any other continental association that sponsors their own CC championship would relinquish control of that to the IAAF. As for those continents that don't already contest a CC champs, they probably wouldn't care.
dj
 
Posts: 6199
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: IAAF 'World Series Events' in Peril

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:50 am

Not only that, but what would be the point? Just to get pummeled by the East Africans? Hey, look, we are the best in Europe and still suck!
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: IAAF 'World Series Events' in Peril

Postby dj » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:06 am

doug5321 wrote:the world xc and half marathon will be at least tri meets soon, with rupp, ritz, solinsky when he gets healthy, if lagat would run xc or a half marathon, up and comers like chris derrick, vets still holding on like teg, and also the talented jager, and more the USA can be a factor.


That's a lot of iffing.

Over the last five years, here are the years each of the people you mention have run the USATF cross nationals:
lagat none
solinsky none
ritz 2008, 2010
teg 2011
rupp none
chris derrick none (granted, too young to have been likely to compete)
jager none

Somehow you're going to have to dream up a scheme to make these guys be interested in running a serious cross country race.
dj
 
Posts: 6199
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alucard, Google Feedfetcher, KDFINE, nbonaddio, norunner, nztrackfan, smc and 14 guests