Pregnant athletes who have made comebacks

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Pregnant athletes who have made comebacks

Postby Gabriella » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:40 am

berkeley wrote:Brisco-Hooks has to be once of the most notable in terms of improvement after childbirth. I don't remember exactly what her PRs were before, but they were nothing special, and afterward she won triple Olympic gold and ran 21.8/48.8.

So many women have had children and come back strong, it would take forever to list them. But the interesting point is when in their career they had a child and whether it appeared to affect them, good or bad. If an athlete has had a successful career since a junior they may wish to have a child at 'peak sporting age' because they are already successful, but for the later developers it may be better to have a child earlier or later.

But I guess the thing about having a child is it's not always planned and it's far more important then any athletics achievement, so it's down to the individual :D
Gabriella

Postby Flumpy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:29 pm

berkeley wrote:Brisco-Hooks has to be once of the most notable in terms of improvement after childbirth. I don't remember exactly what her PRs were before, but they were nothing special, and afterward she won triple Olympic gold and ran 21.8/48.8.

WOW!!!

Who'd have thought childbirth could have such an effect!!! :shock: :lol:
Flumpy

Postby skiboo » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:46 pm

Powell wrote:HERE, for instance, her coach is quoted as saying she was pregnant at the time.

A couple of points. First, related to the link Powell provided. Charlie Francis compared Evelyn's 10.97 (wind -1.2) in the 84 Olympics in LA, to her 10.76 (wind +1.7) in Zurich same year, and implies that the improvement was 0.21, to lend weight to his argument. Actually, you can use at least one online conversion machine - http://myweb.lmu.edu/jmureika/track/wind/index.html - to see that the 2 times come out virtually identical, after factoring in wind and altitude - 10.87 for Zurich 84 and 10.88 for the Olympic win same year in LA. Sorry , just had to get that out of my system.

Back to the thread at hand, Wilma Rudolph won her Olympic golds after giving birth.
skiboo

Postby Powell » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:27 am

skiboo wrote:Back to the thread at hand, Wilma Rudolph won her Olympic golds after giving birth.

And Fanny Blankers-Koen was a mother of two when she won 4 golds in London '48.
Powell

Postby skiboo » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:05 am

Flumpy wrote:

WOW!!!

Who'd have thought childbirth could have such an effect!!! :shock: :lol:

Plainly, nobody - pardon me for answering your rhetorical question. :wink:
skiboo

Postby PZhelev » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:07 am

Indeed, the list is endless. We coild shorten it asking about the female athletes that won big campionships after giving a birth to a child.
In my mind appears Stefka Kostadinova – she was the best in women’s high jump in the late 1980-s but lost to Louise Ritter at 1988 Olympics (I believe, mostly due to psychological reasons). She won World Champs in 1995 and Olympics in 1996 after giving birth to his son in the early 1995.
PZhelev

Postby PZhelev » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:09 am

Sorry, to HER son. We are so much occupied by male ahletes :-)
PZhelev

Postby tandfman » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:16 pm

polevaultpower wrote:
Powell wrote:But obviously not all women react the same way. Evelyn Ashford set a WR at 100 while pregnant. I also remember Trine Hattestad competing at world-class level right up to five months pregnant in 1995.

I highly doubt that Evelyn Ashford was pregnant when she set the WR. She set it August 22, 1984 and had her baby May 30. If you plug the dates into a pregnancy calculator, a LMP of August 22 would give her a due date of May 29.

For the uninformed :shock:, pregnancy dating begins at the start of your last period. That is assuming a woman ovulates two weeks later. The egg can't be fertilized until ovulation, and it then takes a few more days to make it's way into the uterus and implant. It can take a few weeks for the hormone levels to be high enough for most women to start to feel a difference. In other words, no one is actually pregnant before ~ 3w, and most women won't have any symptoms until 4-6w.

In other words, it's extremely unlikely that Ashford was pregnant when she set the WR . . .

According to her coach, Evelyn Ashford set a World Indoor Record after having a miscarriage earlier in the day.
tandfman

Postby JayIsMe » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:46 pm

We are an unchivalrous lot. This is 28 posts too late in this thread, but congratulations PVP- health and happiness to both you and kiddo #2.
JayIsMe

Postby polevaultpower » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:35 am

Thanks!
polevaultpower

Postby catson52 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:08 am

Up there with any of the names mentioned so far - Irena Szewinska. After the birth of her son (1971?) she repeatedly whipped double Oly Champ (100/200) Renate Stecher in 1974 - probably as great a season as Bolt in 2008/2009 in the sprints. And in the ensuing years she set completely new standards for the women's 400m. Still the only man or woman to be top ranked in the 100/200/400 (in one season - 1974?). Not sure about the 400m in 1974, but she should have been ranked #1, even if on one race, a true barrier breaker.
catson52

Postby catson52 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:37 am

Just looked at a clip of the 1968 Oly 200m final. Szewinska appears to be in about seventh place with 80-90 m to go. Two or more metres down on the young Raelene Boyle, some 5 m down on Tyus. Comes through especially in the last 30-40 m to win by 2m. I guess this was the true tip off about her greatness (to come) in the 400m.
catson52

Postby Powell » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:43 am

catson52 wrote:Up there with any of the names mentioned so far - Irena Szewinska. After the birth of her son (1971?) she repeatedly whipped double Oly Champ (100/200) Renate Stecher in 1974 - probably as great a season as Bolt in 2008/2009 in the sprints.

But the thing about Szewińska is that it took her a long time to get back to the top after childbirth. The child was actually born in early 1970, and she didn't gain another no. 1 ranking until 1974.

A bit of trivia: her son Andrzej Szewiński went on to become a pro volleyball player and is now a member of the Polish Senate.
Powell

Postby polevaultpower » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:04 am

I think it would be interesting to compare how much support various elite athletes had after they gave birth. An uncomplicated pregnancy and delivery can be recovered from fairly quickly, but it's raising an infant that can be pretty killer.

If an athlete had a family member or nanny that was helping out a lot (especially with nighttime feedings!), it's less impressive to me than if you had an athlete who breastfed the first year, did the nighttime feedings, and had to take the baby everywhere with them. It's certainly doable, and I am sure many of these athletes did!

We all know sleep is an important part of recovery. What happens when an athlete does not get more than 4 hours of sleep in a row for a year? Maybe that's just my life, good thing I am not an athlete :lol:
polevaultpower

Postby eldanielfire » Mon May 06, 2013 5:28 am

This thread forgets the greatest performance post childbirth of Fanny Blankers-Koen. 4 Gold medals.

A bit of research it appears a ton of Russians have Children prior to big performances, Anna Chicherova have a kid in 2010 before coming back to be world and Olympic Champion. Yuliya Zaripova had a kid before dominating the steeplechase, Tatyana Lebedeva, Svetlana Masterkova.

It seems much more common to have children in your early 20's as an athlete at least than almost everywhere else.
eldanielfire

Postby norunner » Mon May 06, 2013 5:40 am

eldanielfire wrote:It seems much more common to have children in your early 20's as an athlete at least than almost everywhere else.
Well, we (Germany) got someone who couldn't wait. Desiree Singh (born 94), PV youth world champion in 2011 at the age of 16, gave birth to a daughter last year at the age of 17 and jumped over 4 meters a few months after giving birth.
norunner

Previous