T&F Athletes To Unionize

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: T&F Athletes To Unionize

Postby rsb2 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:57 pm

The somewhat demeaning term jog-a-thon may be indicative of one of our problems. Instead of accepting and working with the local road-running communities, some look down on the road-runs and lose the chance to see them as important partners in the bigger picture of our sport.
Many of our larger road-races are not only paying good money to our elite athletes as appearance and/or prize money, but are often major supporters of elite track meets, which of course are also paying out $$$ to our best runners. Not to mention providing the public exposure that brings big money sponsors to the table, not only for the events, but also directly to the athletes.
In the bigger picture of trying to professionalize our sport, I think the road runs are a critical component towards a better funding picture for our athletes. Yes, of course I realize that the direct money goes to the distance runners, but a solid business model could also include funding of clubs, centres, meets, etc., and this is already happening in some places. As has been noted, this is where the real money in our sport is. For instance, I just read that the Vancouver Marathon, reasonably sized but not huge as big city Marathons go, brings an economic impact of 37 million dollars to the Vancouver area !
rsb2

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:19 pm

tandfman wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:Track meets need some sort of jogathon to get the big bucks. Having just top class athletes is not where the money is.

But jogathons are not track meets. You might as well say they need some sort of fast food hamburger operation or a Toyota dealership to get the big bucks.

Oh, dear. I should have put a smiley. With the Chicago Marathon coming up and their 120+ dollar entry fee, plus whatever, and 45,000 entries, I thought it was obvious I was joking.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:21 pm

rsb2 wrote:The somewhat demeaning term jog-a-thon may be indicative of one of our problems. Instead of accepting and working with the local road-running communities, some look down on the road-runs and lose the chance to see them as important partners in the bigger picture of our sport.
Many of our larger road-races are not only paying good money to our elite athletes as appearance and/or prize money, but are often major supporters of elite track meets, which of course are also paying out $$$ to our best runners. Not to mention providing the public exposure that brings big money sponsors to the table, not only for the events, but also directly to the athletes.
In the bigger picture of trying to professionalize our sport, I think the road runs are a critical component towards a better funding picture for our athletes. Yes, of course I realize that the direct money goes to the distance runners, but a solid business model could also include funding of clubs, centres, meets, etc., and this is already happening in some places. As has been noted, this is where the real money in our sport is. For instance, I just read that the Vancouver Marathon, reasonably sized but not huge as big city Marathons go, brings an economic impact of 37 million dollars to the Vancouver area !

All Great, but so what, unless you are a Kenyan. Their relevance to track and field is zero. In fact less than zero, since it is pretty obvious that the East Africans are abandoning distance races on the track for the marathon.

And 99% of the participants have zero interest in the sport.

And what is so demeaning about pointing out the obvious. Marathons these days are something for folks to finish. Or qualify for the Boston Marathon. Which I suspect has more fraud involved, as to qualifying, than anyone cares to admit.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby tandfman » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:58 pm

Conor Dary wrote:
tandfman wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:Track meets need some sort of jogathon to get the big bucks. Having just top class athletes is not where the money is.

But jogathons are not track meets. You might as well say they need some sort of fast food hamburger operation or a Toyota dealership to get the big bucks.

Oh, dear. I should have put a smiley. With the Chicago Marathon coming up and their 120+ dollar entry fee, plus whatever, and 45,000 entries, I thought it was obvious I was joking.

Sorry. I missed that. I'm delighted to know you were, indeed, joking.
tandfman

Postby bushop » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:45 pm

bushop

Previous