Jamaicans to rule sprints for long time, says Blake

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Jamaicans to rule sprints for long time, says Blake

Postby jamboy » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:12 pm

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sns-rt-at ... 3231.story

"It's going to be really hard for anybody who comes up against me, because I'll be stronger and I'll be much fitter and much faster," he said.
jamboy

Re: Jamaicans to rule sprints for long time, says Blake

Postby shivfan » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:35 am

"Because with the calibre of athletes we have right now and given everything the athletes are doing and the JAAA (Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association) and the government. Taking everything into consideration and doing what is necessary for the younger generation coming up with the wonderful talent at the (boys and girls high school) championships and keeping the athletes back in Jamaica, with different training camps and all of that." He said Jamaica's dominance has frustrated the Americans. "We don't really have a relationship," Blake said. "We say 'hi' and 'bye', because they hated us, they totally hated us because of our exploits and because we can run and we can have fun and because of our dominance."
shivfan

Postby doctor sprint » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:06 am

shivfan wrote:"Because with the calibre of athletes we have right now and given everything the athletes are doing and the JAAA (Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association) and the government. Taking everything into consideration and doing what is necessary for the younger generation coming up with the wonderful talent at the (boys and girls high school) championships and keeping the athletes back in Jamaica, with different training camps and all of that." He said Jamaica's dominance has frustrated the Americans. "We don't really have a relationship," Blake said. "We say 'hi' and 'bye', because they hated us, they totally hated us because of our exploits and because we can run and we can have fun and because of our dominance."

i believe it's depend on athletes : for ex Spearmon is a friend of Bolt ,and he usually go to jamaaica to catch with him !!! but guys like Dix or L.wILLIAMS haven't that kind of attitudes...what about C.lewis ...i won't comment on him....
doctor sprint

Postby jamboy » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:51 am

doctor sprint wrote:
shivfan wrote:"Because with the calibre of athletes we have right now and given everything the athletes are doing and the JAAA (Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association) and the government. Taking everything into consideration and doing what is necessary for the younger generation coming up with the wonderful talent at the (boys and girls high school) championships and keeping the athletes back in Jamaica, with different training camps and all of that." He said Jamaica's dominance has frustrated the Americans. "We don't really have a relationship," Blake said. "We say 'hi' and 'bye', because they hated us, they totally hated us because of our exploits and because we can run and we can have fun and because of our dominance."

i believe it's depend on athletes : for ex Spearmon is a friend of Bolt ,and he usually go to jamaaica to catch with him !!! but guys like Dix or L.wILLIAMS haven't that kind of attitudes...what about C.lewis ...i won't comment on him....

Tyson is also good friends with Asafa.
jamboy

Postby Tuariki » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:32 am

shivfan wrote:"We don't really have a relationship," Blake said. "We say 'hi' and 'bye', because they hated us, they totally hated us because of our exploits and because we can run and we can have fun and because of our dominance."

Bolt is friends with Americans.
Powell is friends with Americans.

But with comments like that it is easy to see why Americans are not interested in being friends with Blake. Maybe this is one of the reasons that Stewart had better things to do than pay Blake what Blake thinks he is worth. Who needs to have a relationship with a person who makes stupid comments like that. Doesn't matter how fast Blake runs he will never have the marketability of Bolt.
Tuariki

Postby jamboy » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:41 am

Tuariki wrote:
shivfan wrote:"We don't really have a relationship," Blake said. "We say 'hi' and 'bye', because they hated us, they totally hated us because of our exploits and because we can run and we can have fun and because of our dominance."

Bolt is friends with Americans.
Powell is friends with Americans.

But with comments like that it is easy to see why Americans are not interested in being friends with Blake. Maybe this is one of the reasons that Stewart had better things to do than pay Blake what Blake thinks he is worth. Who needs to have a relationship with a person who makes stupid comments like that. Doesn't matter how fast Blake runs he will never have the marketability of Bolt.

You obviously missed the point. The point isn't about Blake being friends with Americans. He is pointing out about Americans athletes not liking(or being friends) Jamaican athletes in general. A general statement with exceptions of course.

I can see the point he is making. You need to reread the entire article. In the "old days' when the playing field wasn't level, Jamaican sprinters were "second rate" to the top American sprinters. Now that the playing field is level, the Jamaican talent is now showing and we are now on top in sprinting and the American athletes are not liking that because they think they have lost something they think they deserve.

I believe that is the whole gist of what he is trying to say. Hate is a strong word and I don't believe he meant it as negatively as it came across. It is just a fierce rivalry between a big 300 million superpower and a country of only 3 million people the size of Connecticut.

Blake will be fine. He is an extremely fierce athlete and he will surely prevent Bolt from getting lazy. Both him and Bolt and the other upcoming Jamaican sprinters will dominate for years to come.
jamboy

Postby TrakFan » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:08 am

The comments within the article as well as some of the responses about "who likes who" sounds like a conversation you hear among kindergarteners. :roll:
TrakFan

Postby toyracer » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:52 pm

TrakFan wrote:The comments within the article as well as some of the responses about "who likes who" sounds like a conversation you hear among kindergarteners. :roll:

With our high school system, the overall education level isn't much above that, if you pardon an exaggeration. Young Blake doesn't come across as the most eloquent of speakers.
toyracer

Postby t_monk » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:15 pm

toyracer wrote:
TrakFan wrote:The comments within the article as well as some of the responses about "who likes who" sounds like a conversation you hear among kindergarteners. :roll:

With our high school system, the overall education level isn't much above that, if you pardon an exaggeration. Young Blake doesn't come across as the most eloquent of speakers.

Sad to say.... I agree.... That doesn't take away from his clear talent and dedication though. He works hard and he performs well when it counts as a Sr athlete (his Jr career less than immaculate).
t_monk

Postby The Klingon » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:04 am

So Jamaicans will rule the sprints for a long time, huh???? Well, I don't agree with that, but only time will tell I guess.
The Klingon

Postby toyracer » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:03 am

t_monk wrote:
toyracer wrote:

Sad to say.... I agree.... That doesn't take away from his clear talent and dedication though. He works hard and he performs well when it counts as a Sr athlete (his Jr career less than immaculate).

I hope I didn't come across as questioning his talent or dedication, because that was certainly not my intent. Nothing can be taken away from him in that regard.

I do however cringe whenever he is at a press conference or being interviewed post-race, for one never knows what he may attempt to say and how it would sound.

For instance, this gem in today's Observer: "If a next man wants a shoes I don't say he must steal it, but if he sees it and he likes it I have a lot of them and sometimes some don't have any."

He trains on a University campus every day, can we ask the powers that be at Racers, or his agent, to arrange some instruction in the English language? Please?
toyracer

Postby t_monk » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:35 am

toyracer wrote:
t_monk wrote:
toyracer wrote:

I hope I didn't come across as questioning his talent or dedication, because that was certainly not my intent. Nothing can be taken away from him in that regard.

I do however cringe whenever he is at a press conference or being interviewed post-race, for one never knows what he may attempt to say and how it would sound.

For instance, this gem in today's Observer: "If a next man wants a shoes I don't say he must steal it, but if he sees it and he likes it I have a lot of them and sometimes some don't have any."

He trains on a University campus every day, can we ask the powers that be at Racers, or his agent, to arrange some instruction in the English language? Please?

wow..... :?
#faceplant
t_monk