what's up with the sleazy ads?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: what's up with the sleazy ads?

Postby 26mi235 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:52 pm

gh wrote:
tandfman wrote:The latest is an AT&T ad that shows up as a small box on the left side of the home page when I open it. It blocks most of the headline section. It disappears after 10 seconds or so, but in the meanwhile, there's nothing I can do about it--no way to x out of it before it's ready to go.

A new way to teach me patience, I suppose.

Yeah, we're well aware of it, and trying to effect a fix. Nothing is simple with website displays.

I just did "ctlr -" [control key and hit the "-" key]; that n=knocks the font size down and it no longer covers anything. :)
26mi235

Postby toyracer » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:52 am

Cooter Brown wrote:Firefox + Ad Blocker is the way to go. I didn't even realize there were ads on this site until I checked it on someone else's PC a few years ago.

I concur, although even without ad blocker plus I didn't have pop ups, just the asics ad. Now that's gone too.
toyracer

Postby wineturtle » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:12 pm

cladthin wrote:I've seen them too. I've definitely seen the Phillipines ad.

Poster ponoyathletics posts links to a Philippine base blog site that might drive the mailorderbride ads.
wineturtle

Postby lonewolf » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:49 pm

I get loud intrusive audio at random times..don't know what they are pitching..
lonewolf

Postby aaronk » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:04 pm

Fuck this!!!

For the past two days, I've gotten those intrusive "XBox" ads with their obnoxious bullshit BLARING into my headphones while I'm trying to read something on the front page....or checking out the results of the 5th Avenue mile!!

Why all of a sudden?? We went months without this crap!!!
I'm outta here until this SHIT ENDS!!!!!
aaronk

Postby EPelle » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:47 pm

The FlashBlock Chrome extension can kill the flash adverts. No more annoying sounds, videos or other movable flash-based objects.
EPelle

Postby tandfman » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:35 am

aaronk wrote:Fuck this!!!

For the past two days, I've gotten those intrusive "XBox" ads with their obnoxious bullshit BLARING into my headphones while I'm trying to read something on the front page....or checking out the results of the 5th Avenue mile!!

Doesn't your computer have a mute button? That's what it's for.
tandfman

Postby Blues » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:04 pm

That EA Sports/X Box ad is definitely annoying, and I'm surprised it repeatedly pops up automatically like that on a legitimate website like this one.. I had to deal with the ad blaring repeatedly every couple minutes as I tried to listen to the online radio broadcast of my team's NFL game, since I was also trying to browse the T&FN site simultaneously.. I couldn't even find a prompt to close the ad to stop it from drowning out the NFL broadcasters in the middle of a play every few minutes.. And to make matters worse, I not only had my game broadcast interrupted by the ad repeatedly, but I had to deal with my team getting completely and utterly spanked by the Cardinals at the same time... :evil:
Blues

Postby gh » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:01 pm

it appears there's a glitch in the programming. It's supposed to boot in mute mode (as are all ads on our site), and if you look in the middle of the Ad you'll see a button to turn the sound on, except it's already on. You need to turn the sound on (even though it already is), which then gives you the mute button, which works then when you click it.

Helluva way to run a railroad I know.
gh

Postby bushop » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:04 pm

gh wrote:Helluva way to run a railroad I know.

As long as there is enough revenue generated to keep T&F News rolling I don't care what pops-up on my screen. I can hit mute and scroll past adds.
bushop

Postby bushop » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:08 pm

Never fix it.
bushop

Postby TrakFan » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:12 pm

Blues wrote: I couldn't even find a prompt to close the ad to stop it from drowning out the NFL broadcasters in the middle of a play every few minutes..

THAT is the pain in the butt aspect of that ad. It does initiate in mute mode, but it plops in the middle of the healines and I can't close it/get around it :evil:
TrakFan

Postby aaronk » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:07 am

bushop wrote:

Never fix it.

My one-person fan club!! :P

Seriously, things have improved.
The ad blocks the news page for just a few seconds.
And the audio crap has disappeared!!
aaronk

Postby uakari » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:11 am

interesting. no ads today!
uakari

Postby tandfman » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:08 am

uakari wrote:interesting. no ads today!

No ads today on my front page, but to the left and right of the message board are Asics ads that include flashing that might cause some epileptics to have a problem.
tandfman

Postby uakari » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:07 am

interesting. this is from another website, not here, but obviously my computer's cookies are telling google or whoever what my proclivities are...

today i got an ad advertising "meet muslim women"!!!! now i've seen everything...

incidentally, no ads on these boards lately.
uakari

Postby tandfman » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:16 am

uakari wrote:interesting. this is from another website, not here, but obviously my computer's cookies are telling google or whoever what my proclivities are...

today i got an ad advertising "meet muslim women"!!!! now i've seen everything...

incidentally, no ads on these boards lately.

I'm looking at ads to the left and right of what I'm typing right now. The one on the right has pictures of 8 young ladies that I could meet if I clicked there (and presumably paid something--I'm not going to find out). The ad does not mention their religion, but none of them have any kind of headdress.
tandfman

Postby uakari » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:55 am

what have you been surfing lately?
uakari

Postby tandfman » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:23 pm

I haven't been surfing any sites that would remotely lead a marketer to think I was interested in meeting young women (or young men, for that matter).
tandfman

Postby uakari » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:02 am

me neither... i mean, this is why i don't understand google, it's supposed to be so smart and everything... but they keep pushing products i don't want and women on me... what a waste. (when i check my hotmail account, i used to get "date women over 50" ads...).

on the other hand, when i surf yahoo news, they know i'm a secret muslim fag commie abortionist 'cause i keep getting obama 2012 ads...
uakari

Postby uakari » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:45 pm

today i got an ad for "meet afghani women" (on another site, not TFN).

the google ads people are getting desperate, i guess... i have gotten before ads to meet african women, muslim, ukrainian, chinese, russian, filipino, dominican, brazilian, colombian etc.

on FB, i get suggestions to like all sorts of rightwing and tea party wacko organizations... i guess the google ads, fb and other internet giant companies are not very good at figuring out my interests! LOL.
uakari

Next