wAOY - Felix, SRR, Adams, Perković

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: wAOY - Felix, SRR, Adams, Perkovic

Postby lionelp1 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:48 pm

mump boy wrote:IAAF finalists are announced .........

Valerie Adams
Jessica Ennis
Allyson Felix

http://www.iaaf.org/news/press-release/ ... -womens-fi

Certainly not Felix; Adams, then Jess and Felix.
lionelp1

Postby Tuariki » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:08 pm

Daisy wrote:I'd go for Ennis as the pressure for her was immense.

Is that a new judging criterion?

Does that mean in Olympic year the AOY should be the local host country favourite who comes through and wins gold? Should Farah then be men's AOY?
Tuariki

Postby Daisy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:26 am

Tuariki wrote:Should Farah then be men's AOY?

Great idea! ;)
Daisy

Postby nianchengyu » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:57 pm

Ennis is fabulous this year despite losing WIC title to dobynska,two times over 6900p which even kluft did not reach plus world top-class 7.87s 60mH and 12.54s 100mH,if she can win the AOY,it would be good for this season,as for Adams ,she is great and I support her to win AOY last year,but her oly performance did not good at all adding no PB this year,her chances is minor.If she want to be more competive in the titles,please toss the shot over 21.70m first because experts did not much in favor of throwers,thinking about 10 times over 22m in 1980 of slupianek, even in current times adams has more works to do in a single season.Not forget Felix,that she did not even ranked top3 in 2007 was quite surprise to me,in this season she performed fantastically but too few competions in her main events,so you know what I tend someone to win the trophy specifically, :D
nianchengyu

Postby eldanielfire » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:49 pm

Tuariki wrote:

Does that mean in Olympic year the AOY should be the local host country favourite who comes through and wins gold? Should Farah then be men's AOY?

Maybe. All achievements do require context and the Face of the games pressure is unique and forever will be brought up with Ennis' Gold Medal achievement and as prehaps the great performance moment in T&F during the Olympic games. Farah didn't quite have that pressure but his double distance gold certainly deserves seriosu consideration.
eldanielfire

Postby shivfan » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:34 am

eldanielfire wrote:
Tuariki wrote:

Maybe. All achievements do require context and the Face of the games pressure is unique and forever will be brought up with Ennis' Gold Medal achievement and as prehaps the great performance moment in T&F during the Olympic games. Farah didn't quite have that pressure but his double distance gold certainly deserves seriosu consideration.

On the other side of the coin, running in front of a loud crowd cheering for you can give you a huge boost. I was in the stadium when Farah got his second gold, and the volume of the cheering was something I had never experienced before....

Maybe they should be disqualified for the uplifting support they received!
:D
shivfan

Postby eldanielfire » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:07 pm

That may be true...for Farah. But Ennis was talked up as the Track gold London must get to be a vintage Olympics. Since the World gold in 2009 Freeman comparisions were made, it basically was brought up in every interview Jess Ennis has had for 3 years and as it drew closer, giant billboards, advertising of all kinds, the giant picture draw in the fields to be seen by planes coming into Heathrow. That pressure is immense and worst of all singular, it's not spread among a team or other competitors, Ennis was to be the British moment of the games. You could see it in her face, Johnson-Thompson might have enjoyed it and been spured on, Ennis had to win no matter what. All after a year in 2011 where she showed she could be beaten and the competition was dangerous.
eldanielfire

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:00 pm

What seems to be missing here is that the last two years in particular, Farah has been at the forefront of a paradigm shift -- the European and American athletes can compete at the highest level successfully in the long distances. None of the other athletes has nearly that sea-change implicit in their accomplishments.

There was a sea-change in 2008 with Bolt but there was no comparable change in 2012. In fact, the most widely predicted WR at this Olympics was the 4x100 Men's Relay (even more than the 800). Nothing Ennis did results in any different assessment of the state of our sport. In fact, I do not think that there was much change due to any of them, with the exception of Rudisha when you combine 2011 with 2012, and similarly for Eaton. After the Olympics, the hurdle WR was so stunningly good that even though breaking it in the best hurdle season was not a big surprise, doing that much was (and now it is close to where something else has to be worked out).
26mi235

Postby Flumpy » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:00 pm

26mi235 wrote:None of the other athletes has nearly that sea-change implicit in their accomplishments.

Because none of the other athletes compete in events where Europe and the USA have been so shit for so long (Only on the mens side by the way).

You shouldn't get extra credit just because historically your peers have been piss poor.
Flumpy

Postby 26mi235 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:53 pm

Flumpy wrote:
26mi235 wrote:None of the other athletes has nearly that sea-change implicit in their accomplishments.

Because none of the other athletes compete in events where Europe and the USA have been so shit for so long (Only on the mens side by the way).

You shouldn't get extra credit just because historically your peers have been piss poor.

Call it what you want, it will likely have more impact on the sport than any of those other athletes. THAT is a big deal, whether you like it or not, and it seems that you do not really like it that much for some reason.

I cannot remember what your opinion of Ennis is, but since she is vastly behind the frontier, why were you ever excited about her.
26mi235

Postby mump boy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:51 am

So now were supposed to give extra credit to athletes if they make countries, mainly populated by white people, feel better about themselves :?
Last edited by mump boy on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mump boy

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:00 am

mump boy wrote:So now were supposed to give extra credit to athletes if they make countries mainly populated by white people, feel better about themselves :?

No, for keeping the sport viable.
26mi235

Postby mump boy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:04 pm

26mi235 wrote:
mump boy wrote:So now were supposed to give extra credit to athletes if they make countries mainly populated by white people, feel better about themselves :?

You're joking, right ? :?
mump boy

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:17 pm

No
26mi235

Postby bushop » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:17 pm

gh wrote:Something about Eaton that I'm not sure anybody mentioned before: he's the USATF Indoor champ in the LJ, has two wins over Oly bronze medalist Will Claye and while T&FN doesn't rank beyond No. 10, I suspect he'd end up about No. 15 in the world in that event. Has 45.87, 13.34w and 8.23 marks outside of decathlons, so he has more than the two competitions that we see frequently cited.
aaronk wrote:Using your theory, wouldn't then the same apply to Jessica Ennis, since her 12.54 surely would rank her pretty high on the World list for 100H? Not to mention her 7.87 60H this year is the 3rd best indoors, and she has the 2nd best pent. score as well.
bushop

Postby Gabriella » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:10 am

26mi235
Dieter Baumann won Olympic gold over 5000m in 1992 (shock horror a white man winning a long distance race! :shock: :roll: ) Craig Mottram won World bronze over 5000m in 2005 (another white man!) and there have been numerous Arab & Berber men (neither 'white' nor 'black'!) that have medalled over 5000m and 10000m, most notably a certain Hicham El Guerrouj over 5000m. So, it really isn't that significant IMHO, that a (black) Englishman or a (white) American medalled in London.

On the other hand, one could argue that, as the first woman to score over 6900 pts twice in the same season since 1988, Ennis's achievements were more significant historically. But, I guess that would be a foolish argument, as who cares what happens in the heptathlon? :roll:

Sarcasm aside, the argument about 'keeping the sport viable' could therefore be extended to the sprints, which are dominated by (black) American and Carribean athletes. What about the poor white sprinters?

Anyway, AOY....if it goes to Felix it will be a terribly unfair and biased result.
Gabriella

Postby TrackFan4Ever » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:40 am

Gabriella wrote:Anyway, AOY....if it goes to Felix it will be a terribly unfair and biased result.

Just like your comment is terribly unfair and biased!
TrackFan4Ever

Postby mump boy » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:26 pm

TrackFan4Ever wrote:
Gabriella wrote:Anyway, AOY....if it goes to Felix it will be a terribly unfair and biased result.

Just like your comment is terribly unfair and biased!

Towards who ??
mump boy

Postby Flumpy » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:49 am

I have a feeling Allyson is the only one of the nominees here in Barcelona.

I'm predicting a win.
Flumpy

Postby Flumpy » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:44 am

The results have leaked and they are as idiotic as expected :roll:
Flumpy

Postby t_monk » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:33 am

Felix winning over those other girls..... travesty.... And I don't even dislike Felix >_>
t_monk

Postby bushop » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:37 am

No wonder our sport struggles.
Idiotic decision after idiotic decision... this is just one more in a long list.
bushop

Postby t_monk » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:49 am

26mi235 wrote:

Sorry.... but this is a ludicrous... Even if she won.... 10x's over this still won't revitalize the sport.

BTW.... She won and I am still yet to see one television news report focusing on her winning. In fact I haven't seen one American based television news report mentioning that she won the damn thing. If I weren't watching BBC America I wouldn't even have know that she was the one that won the damn thing.

These guys clearly have no standard whatsoever in choosing who wins these AOY awards. The mere fact that Bolt won last year over Rudisha and Felix won over the likes of Adams, Ennis, SAFP, Pearson and Perkovic this year is a farce. This has nothing to do with skill and completely everything to do with likeability.
t_monk

Postby TrackFan4Ever » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:24 am

Congrats to AF!
TrackFan4Ever

Postby 26mi235 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:22 pm

Congrats to AF,I really like her, but she should not even be second. I am guessing that the most unbiased panel will put her in about 5th (i.e., T&FN). They know more than I do and I almost always trust their opinions over those of individuals.
26mi235

Postby ATK » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:10 pm

Felix winning is slightly ridiculous if you think about it. In theory, that means if someone has a pretty decent season, then only runs the relays at the Olympics/WC, they can achieve athlete of the year.
Not saying Felix only had a decent season, but I don't see it as AOY worthy.
ATK

Postby TrackFan4Ever » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:54 pm

What's ridiculous is the theory that is being suggested.

The most unbiased panel is always the one that agrees with "my" decision. This is the same panel that selected SRR as AOD over Veronica Campbell. Yeah, that was real unbiased!
TrackFan4Ever

Postby jamal00005 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:38 pm

TrackFan4Ever wrote:What's ridiculous is the theory that is being suggested.

The most unbiased panel is always the one that agrees with "my" decision. This is the same panel that selected SRR as AOD over Veronica Campbell. Yeah, that was real unbiased!

This is the one that always gets me going SRR over VCB as AOD LMAO .........YOU COULDNT MAKE IT UP. What exactly has she done to be worthy of this ? For me VCB deserves this but then again with the kind of biased selection panel making these decisions it is expected
jamal00005

Postby j-a-m » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:49 am

I don't really get the uproar in this thread. In the other one, okay, you had all the guys with their WRs, and Bolt gets picked ahead of them. Here, I would've picked SAFP and Ennis ahead of Felix, but still, it doesn't seem that unreasonable.
j-a-m

Postby mump boy » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:10 pm

j-a-m wrote:I don't really get the uproar in this thread. In the other one, okay, you had all the guys with their WRs, and Bolt gets picked ahead of them. Here, I would've picked SAFP and Ennis ahead of Felix, but still, it doesn't seem that unreasonable.

Not Valerie who was unbeaten all season ? or Sandra Perkovic who was prolific and totally dominant ? :?
mump boy

Postby bushop » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:33 pm

mump boy wrote:Not Valerie who was unbeaten all season ? or Sandra Perkovic who was prolific and totally dominant ? :?

Amen.
bushop

Postby aaronk » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:42 pm

My TOTALLY bad!!
All this time, from my first comment onward (Mine was the first to comment on this thread!!), I've thought this to be about the TRACK AND FIELD NEWS AOY.......NOT any other, whether it's IAAF, ESPN, or whatever!!

Sorry, I guess I should have read the initial post a bit more carefully!

But as to the IAAF awards, I not only disagree with their choice, but I have NO or LITTLE respect for the award itself!!

To me, it's not much different than the Oscar's, the Emmy's, the Grammy's, the National Book Award's, even the Nobel's!!

They're all either totally political, or they play to sentimental favorites, or they lean to who's more currently popular!!

All of which have NOTHING to do with who's BEST!!

Which is what AOY should be all about!!

In the T&FN sense of the term, I still choose Jessica Ennis!!
aaronk

Postby GMH454 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:01 pm

mump boy wrote:
j-a-m wrote:I don't really get the uproar in this thread. In the other one, okay, you had all the guys with their WRs, and Bolt gets picked ahead of them. Here, I would've picked SAFP and Ennis ahead of Felix, but still, it doesn't seem that unreasonable.

Not Valerie who was unbeaten all season ? or Sandra Perkovic who was prolific and totally dominant ? :?

agreed, these girls got out voted on the "female athlete with more sex appeal "
funny how female athlete awards come down to who has greater sex appeal sometimes rather than true merit

Val .... you rule, girl..

makes the T F N award even more meaningful
GMH454

Postby j-a-m » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:04 pm

The events in which SAFP, Felix, Ennis compete have tougher competition and/or are a better measure of athletic ability than the events in which Adams, Perkovic compete. That's why SAFP, Felix, Ennis should be ahead of those others.
j-a-m

Postby mump boy » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:44 pm

j-a-m wrote:The events in which SAFP, Felix, Ennis compete have tougher competition and/or are a better measure of athletic ability than the events in which Adams, Perkovic compete. That's why SAFP, Felix, Ennis should be ahead of those others.

Unquantifiable, biased and TOTALLY irrelevant
mump boy

Postby 26mi235 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:31 pm

[quote="aaronk"
To me, it's not much different than the Oscar's, the Emmy's, the Grammy's, the National Book Award's, even the Nobel's!!

They're all either totally political, or they play to sentimental favorites, or they lean to who's more currently popular!!
[/quote]

A lot of that politics over quality in those Nobel Prizes (you might leave aside the Peace, as it is done in a different manner).
26mi235

Postby ATK » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:00 pm

j-a-m wrote:The events in which SAFP, Felix, Ennis compete have tougher competition and/or are a better measure of athletic ability than the events in which Adams, Perkovic compete. That's why SAFP, Felix, Ennis should be ahead of those others.

If thats the case then the top heptathlete should be the AOY every year....

If someone like Adams dominates her event, regardless if event is not as good of a measure of complete athleticism as Ennis, or no one was throwing as far as in the past, if she was able to be above and beyond the competition THIS YEAR, then she is deserving.
ATK

Postby t_monk » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:26 pm

ATK wrote:

If thats the case then the top heptathlete should be the AOY every year....

If someone like Adams dominates her event, regardless if event is not as good of a measure of complete athleticism as Ennis, or no one was throwing as far as in the past, if she was able to be above and beyond the competition THIS YEAR, then she is deserving.

Co-Sign!
t_monk

Postby Tuariki » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:44 am

What a a load of total tripe. Speed is not the only measure of athletic ability (SAFP and Felix).

And while Ennis is an awesome athlete and an awesome looking athlete, she is, as with nearly all multi-eventers, not able to cut it in an individual event - although she may prove me wrong in the 100H if she focuses on that event alone. I find it difficult to rate as AOY an athlete who can only throw the javelin 47.49 when the WR is just a little bit further.

By j-a-m's moronic logic then the AOY would have to be awarded to the best marathoner every year, given there are a hell of a lot more people running marathons than the 100m or 200m or any other event.

Also by j-a-m's stupid logic then perhaps Bolt shouldn't be AOY because when he is on song and not injured he does not have any competition either. How pathetic that because an athlete completely dominates her event (a la Adams and Perkovic) that some idiot thinks this devalues their performances.
Tuariki

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:18 pm

When the rewards are greatest in an area that they draw the greatest competition. It happens everywhere and always. Why the implications of this are so indigestible to some is always a surprise, but it often leads to them drawing the wrong conclusions (or at least failing to draw the sometimes obvious ones).
26mi235

PreviousNext