Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]

Postby lionelp1 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:16 am

but Bolt is not going to be AOY; either Rudisha or Merritt, for sure.
lionelp1
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:48 am

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]

Postby Flumpy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:29 pm

ATK wrote:
ZELLGADISS wrote:Well for some people will be marketing, for other people will be justice.
Nobody has universal opinion and unique.

Marketing would be if Bolt only wins 1 gold and with normal time.
And he got a lot of more that it...


I think Bolt being in the top 3 can already be considered a marketing decision


Agreed. He's my 5th and I could probably be persuaded to move him further down.
Flumpy
 
Posts: 3901
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]

Postby aaronk » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:03 pm

lionelp1 wrote:but Bolt is not going to be AOY; either Rudisha or Merritt, for sure.


Merritt # 1 for SURE!!
No contest!!

But I'd pick Rudisha for # 2 by just one half of one point over Ashton Eaton!!

And if Eaton had run 4 seconds faster in the OG 1500, and gotten the OR, he would have been a CLEAR # 2 over Rudisha!!

Just my opinion!
aaronk
 
Posts: 3366
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]

Postby gh » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:15 pm

I can't see Bolt any higher than No. 4, even if you do count his relay achievement (which I don't). And he may well be only No. 5.

Either way, an IAAF win will be because it's a popularity contest, not because of achievement.
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]

Postby ATK » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:28 pm

gh wrote:I can't see Bolt any higher than No. 4, even if you do count his relay achievement (which I don't). And he may well be only No. 5.

Either way, an IAAF win will be because it's a popularity contest, not because of achievement.

Exactly. Wasn't 2011 a great example of the popularity contest as well?
ATK
 
Posts: 3808
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]

Postby gh » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:25 pm

I hasten to add that a Felix win on the women's side would also be (IMHO) a combination of too much credit for being on a relay and winning the popularity contest.
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]

Postby Flumpy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:59 am

Let's not get started on Felix who should be world ranked about 8th :roll:
Flumpy
 
Posts: 3901
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]

Postby EME1980 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:28 pm

I think the shortlist shuld have consisted of Merritt, Rudisha and Eaton. All three have broken WRs and won Olympic gold this year and I can't see how that can be topped.
EME1980
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:15 am
Location: UK

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:00 pm

Well, historic Double Golds also have something to say for themselves, which covers Mo and Usain.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]

Postby mump boy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:53 am

26mi235 wrote:Well, historic Double Golds also have something to say for themselves, which covers Mo and Usain.


I agree with the WR breakers being nominated for me doubles are great but similar to relays there are only a few athetes who have a realsitic chance of achieving them.

It is Robert Harting and Renauld Levellenie who are hard done by in these polls and i assume will be ranked highly on the T&FN one
mump boy
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]

Postby 26mi235 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:36 pm

mump boy wrote:
26mi235 wrote:Well, historic Double Golds also have something to say for themselves, which covers Mo and Usain.


I agree with the WR breakers being nominated for me doubles are great but similar to relays there are only a few athetes who have a realsitic chance of achieving them.

It is Robert Harting and Renauld Levellenie who are hard done by in these polls and i assume will be ranked highly on the T&FN one


While doubles are dependent on the discipline, it is really not at all like the relays; you still have to do it on your own, not with the help of others. As for doubles, I have tended to think that distance doubles are harder, but the 10,000/5000 double has a direct Final for the 10,000, easing the burden. Otherwise, the notion that a heat or semi of the 100 takes as much out of you as one in the 1500, 3000SC, or 5000 is bordering on the absurd. (Caveat, there are fewer rounds at the longest distances, but that difference has narrowed with only three in the sprints.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]

Postby ZELLGADISS » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:04 pm

Very few for that Bolt gets his 4th AOY 8-)
ZELLGADISS
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:13 am

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]

Postby gh » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:24 am

Something about Eaton that I'm not sure anybody mentioned before: he's the USaTF Indoor champ in teh LJ, has two wins over Oly bronze medalist Will Claye and while T&FN doesn't rank beyond No. 10, I suspect he'd end up about No. 15 in the world in that event. Has 45.87, 13.34w and 8.23 marks outside of decathlons, so he has more than the two competitions that we see frequently cited.
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]

Postby aaronk » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:45 am

gh wrote:Something about Eaton that I'm not sure anybody mentioned before: he's the USaTF Indoor champ in teh LJ, has two wins over Oly bronze medalist Will Claye and while T&FN doesn't rank beyond No. 10, I suspect he'd end up about No. 15 in the world in that event. Has 45.87, 13.34w and 8.23 marks outside of decathlons, so he has more than the two competitions that we see frequently cited.


Using your theory, wouldn't then the same apply to Jessica Ennis, since her 12.54 surely would rank her pretty high on the World list for 100H?

Not to mention her 7.87 60H this year is the 3rd best indoors, and she has the 2nd best Pent. score as well!!
aaronk
 
Posts: 3366
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]

Postby lionelp1 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:45 pm

Merritt won Gold and set a WR but DQed twice this year and got beaten, twice in DL meets..His season was great from the Trials onwards, but he dqed in Lausanne ?.

Rudisha,Eaton, Merritt,Bolt would be as reasonable as any number of other subjective judgments.
lionelp1
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:48 am

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]

Postby gh » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:30 pm

aaronk wrote:
gh wrote:Something about Eaton that I'm not sure anybody mentioned before: he's the USaTF Indoor champ in teh LJ, has two wins over Oly bronze medalist Will Claye and while T&FN doesn't rank beyond No. 10, I suspect he'd end up about No. 15 in the world in that event. Has 45.87, 13.34w and 8.23 marks outside of decathlons, so he has more than the two competitions that we see frequently cited.


Using your theory, wouldn't then the same apply to Jessica Ennis, since her 12.54 surely would rank her pretty high on the World list for 100H?

Not to mention her 7.87 60H this year is the 3rd best indoors, and she has the 2nd best Pent. score as well!!


If this weren't the men's AOY thread, I might respond.
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]

Postby aaronk » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:32 pm

gh wrote:
aaronk wrote:
gh wrote:Something about Eaton that I'm not sure anybody mentioned before: he's the USaTF Indoor champ in teh LJ, has two wins over Oly bronze medalist Will Claye and while T&FN doesn't rank beyond No. 10, I suspect he'd end up about No. 15 in the world in that event. Has 45.87, 13.34w and 8.23 marks outside of decathlons, so he has more than the two competitions that we see frequently cited.


Using your theory, wouldn't then the same apply to Jessica Ennis, since her 12.54 surely would rank her pretty high on the World list for 100H?

Not to mention her 7.87 60H this year is the 3rd best indoors, and she has the 2nd best Pent. score as well!!


If this weren't the men's AOY thread, I might respond.


Sorry, gh!!
I'm REALLY computer-semi-literate!!
I put it here, because I don't know how to place a quote from one thread onto another, only onto the SAME thread!!
Otherwise, I would have done what you said!!
If you want to, feel free to transfer the above to the women's AOY thread, and respond.
Thanks!!
aaronk
 
Posts: 3366
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]

Postby Dave » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:08 am

Three Olympic champions setting a WR in a given year seems like higher quality than other years. Is this par for the course for an Olympic year or was this a better year than usual?
Dave
 
Posts: 2125
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]

Postby ZELLGADISS » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:21 pm

Only 1 day for that Bolt makes history again, 4th AOY in his great career 8-)
ZELLGADISS
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:13 am

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]

Postby Flumpy » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:49 am

AOY

Merritt?
Rudisha?
Eaton?

Don't be ridiculous. Can't believe Aries and David actually turned up just to be insulted.

It's embarrassing.
Last edited by Flumpy on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flumpy
 
Posts: 3901
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]

Postby ZELLGADISS » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:59 am

hehehe Bolt won AOY, i was totally sure.
The experts know it perfectly.
His performances were amazing, and yes for them 4x100 counts too 8-)
His times in points IAAF are a lot of better that WRS for merrit or rudisha, it is the reality.

RECORD 4TH TIME AOY for the genious USAIN BOLT¡¡¡

Now the haters were very angry :lol:

Next year if Bolt wins again 100,200 and 4x100 with WRs or wonderful times, he will get again this award.

Regards to everybody :wink:
ZELLGADISS
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:13 am

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]

Postby Flumpy » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:17 am

You're weird.
Flumpy
 
Posts: 3901
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]

Postby zidan » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:23 am

I am not shocked that Bolt got it. His three-peat repeat was too historic to ignore.
IMO, he shouldn't have won it last year. Rudisha's WR trumps Merritt's for performance of the year, 'cause of course the scene of his 'crime' (Olympics) was that much bigger. I think the IAAF may have gotten it right this time (IMHO).
zidan
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:54 pm

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]

Postby bushop » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:37 am

No wonder our sport struggles.
Idiotic decision after idiotic decision... this is just one more in a long list.
bushop
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]

Postby t_monk » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:50 am

Rudisha should have won....
t_monk
 
Posts: 4338
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:03 pm
Location: New Haven, CT + Kgn, JA

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]

Postby ZELLGADISS » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:53 am

I admit that in 2011 was polemic decission, but this year is normal that he wins.
Wonderful year, historic triple victory in OG by 2nd consecutive time, and with wonderful times in each event.

Bolt is the GOAT
ZELLGADISS
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:13 am

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]

Postby t_monk » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:18 am

ZELLGADISS wrote:I admit that in 2011 was polemic decission, but this year is normal that he wins.
Wonderful year, historic triple victory in OG by 2nd consecutive time, and with wonderful times in each event.

Bolt is the GOAT


KMT.... His season leading up to the Olympics was underwhelming at best... >_> He showed up for the Olympics (as most of us assumed that he would) but up to that point his season was substandard by far to Rudisha's. Rudisha then went to the Olympics and ran BAR NONE the most AMAZING 800m EVER ran in ANY condition/setting (the mere fact that he did it AT the Olympics would have emphasized how great a run this was). The only fault in the whole thing was Rudisha's final race of the season.

Rudisha deserved to win... this year.... again.
t_monk
 
Posts: 4338
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:03 pm
Location: New Haven, CT + Kgn, JA

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]

Postby ZELLGADISS » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:23 am

t_monk wrote:
ZELLGADISS wrote:I admit that in 2011 was polemic decission, but this year is normal that he wins.
Wonderful year, historic triple victory in OG by 2nd consecutive time, and with wonderful times in each event.

Bolt is the GOAT


KMT.... His season leading up to the Olympics was underwhelming at best... >_> He showed up for the Olympics (as most of us assumed that he would) but up to that point his season was substandard by far to Rudisha's. Rudisha then went to the Olympics and ran BAR NONE the most AMAZING 800m EVER ran in ANY condition/setting (the mere fact that he did it AT the Olympics would have emphasized how great a run this was). The only fault in the whole thing was Rudisha's final race of the season.

Rudisha deserved to win... this year.... again.



It is YOUR opinion.
For me won Bolt with justice.
To win 3 differents events by 2nd consecutive time(historic) with wonderful times is for me greater that WR.
ZELLGADISS
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:13 am

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]

Postby t_monk » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:35 am

ZELLGADISS wrote:
t_monk wrote:
ZELLGADISS wrote:I admit that in 2011 was polemic decission, but this year is normal that he wins.
Wonderful year, historic triple victory in OG by 2nd consecutive time, and with wonderful times in each event.

Bolt is the GOAT


KMT.... His season leading up to the Olympics was underwhelming at best... >_> He showed up for the Olympics (as most of us assumed that he would) but up to that point his season was substandard by far to Rudisha's. Rudisha then went to the Olympics and ran BAR NONE the most AMAZING 800m EVER ran in ANY condition/setting (the mere fact that he did it AT the Olympics would have emphasized how great a run this was). The only fault in the whole thing was Rudisha's final race of the season.

Rudisha deserved to win... this year.... again.



It is YOUR opinion.
For me won Bolt with justice.
To win 3 differents events by 2nd consecutive time(historic) with wonderful times is for me greater that WR.


Yup... My opinion and the opinion from most unbiased persons who follow track and field.
t_monk
 
Posts: 4338
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:03 pm
Location: New Haven, CT + Kgn, JA

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]

Postby ZELLGADISS » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:58 am

NO, it is your opinion and opinions of other pople that write in this forum.
But i heard coaches,athletes and journalists to tell that Bolt is winner with justice too.

So are opinions, and your opinion is not better that mine, is different.
And the votes in IAAF give AOY to Bolt.

Sorry by it :wink:
ZELLGADISS
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:13 am

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]

Postby t_monk » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:17 am

ZELLGADISS wrote:NO, it is your opinion and opinions of other pople that write in this forum.
But i heard coaches,athletes and journalists to tell that Bolt is winner with justice too.

So are opinions, and your opinion is not better that mine, is different.
And the votes in IAAF give AOY to Bolt.

Sorry by it :wink:


Ok. Such is life anyways. No use complaining about these things.
t_monk
 
Posts: 4338
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:03 pm
Location: New Haven, CT + Kgn, JA

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]

Postby lionelp1 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:25 am

Bolt and Felix :( ... weird decision but good for the PR stuff. Who the twerps are who voted for these decisions .......
lionelp1
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:48 am

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]

Postby mump boy » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:26 am

Flumpy wrote:AOY

Merritt?
Rudisha?
Eaton?

Don't be ridiculous. Can't believ Aries and David actually turned up just to be insulted.

It's embarrassing.


Aries wasn't insulted he won "Inspiration of the Year" award :lol: :lol:
mump boy
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]

Postby Ned Ryerson » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:27 am

ZELLGADISS wrote:NO, it is your opinion and opinions of other pople that write in this forum.
But i heard coaches,athletes and journalists to tell that Bolt is winner with justice too.


And last year, too?
Ned Ryerson
 
Posts: 698
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:54 pm

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]

Postby t_monk » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:31 am

mump boy wrote:
Flumpy wrote:AOY

Merritt?
Rudisha?
Eaton?

Don't be ridiculous. Can't believ Aries and David actually turned up just to be insulted.

It's embarrassing.


Aries wasn't insulted he won "Inspiration of the Year" award :lol: :lol:


>_< Better they said there were giving them certificates of participation.... That being said though that is more than Adams or Ennis got....
t_monk
 
Posts: 4338
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:03 pm
Location: New Haven, CT + Kgn, JA

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]

Postby Dave » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:38 am

The IAAF had an embarrassment of riches this year and chose to honor none of them.

While in the greater scheme of things, this is not terribly important, Bolt winning is a minor farce.
Dave
 
Posts: 2125
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]

Postby ZELLGADISS » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:30 am

Ned Ryerson wrote:
ZELLGADISS wrote:NO, it is your opinion and opinions of other pople that write in this forum.
But i heard coaches,athletes and journalists to tell that Bolt is winner with justice too.


And last year, too?



In my opinion the last year is not sure by Bolt, but this year for me Bolt won with justice.
ZELLGADISS
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:13 am

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]

Postby 26mi235 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:46 am

ZELLGADISS wrote:I admit that in 2011 was polemic decission, but this year is normal that he wins.
Wonderful year, historic triple victory in OG by 2nd consecutive time, and with wonderful times in each event.

Bolt is the GOAT


It is an award for this year; he already got awards for before, so this is double dipping if that is the criteria (the only time it should enter is if it wasn't given the prior year and should have been...DR). Not undefeated in either event, two golds and a quarter one, one less world record than DR (and Merritt) and two less than Eaton.

Obviously, this is my opinion and you have yours; we heard yours often now...
26mi235
 
Posts: 16335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]

Postby ATK » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:55 am

ZELLGADISS wrote:NO, it is your opinion and opinions of other pople that write in this forum.
But i heard coaches,athletes and journalists to tell that Bolt is winner with justice too.

So are opinions, and your opinion is not better that mine, is different.
And the votes in IAAF give AOY to Bolt.

Sorry by it :wink:

I'm confused why you keep saying facts are opinions. I said before this isn't Gymnastics or Synchronized Swimming. We have absolute times and marks. Its impossible to not see how Bolt winning was a marketing decision...
ATK
 
Posts: 3808
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]

Postby ZELLGADISS » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:02 am

Yes exactly, everyone give our opinion, but is not universal.
Indoor season for most people is not very important, so outdoor is a lot of more important.

Bolt was without doubt the biggest star in the OG with 3 incredible Golds, with 3 great times:
-2nd best time in the history in 100, in cold conditions(around 15 degrees)and with bad start, in adittion he had injury only 1 month before.
-In 200m he had wonderful time too, jogging last 10m in adittion, and only him got better time in a bing championship in all history 200m before.
-In 4x100m he got WR, and in adittion his relay was 8.70 information PJ Vazel, the fastest time for relay tied with Powell in Beijing i think.

Someone tells here that relays does not count. why?who tells it?
http://www.iaaf.org/news/news/bolt-and- ... tes-of-the
In the official website of IAAF, they COUNT 4x100 too, so i tell it too.

He got triple gold in sprint by 2nd consecutive time, never made by nobody before.

I understand that someone thinks different and prefer Rudisha or Merrit, big runners of course, but Bolt without doubt made wonderful performances too and i think that he won this award with justice.

Regards to everybody :wink:
Last edited by ZELLGADISS on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZELLGADISS
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:13 am

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bruce Kritzler, Per Andersen and 11 guests