If it is Gods willing which athletes will we see in Rio ?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: If it is Gods willing which athletes will we see in Rio

Postby TN1965 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:34 am

Yohan Blake.
Kirani James.
Ashton Eaton.
Nijel Amos.
Christian Taylor.
Allyson Felix.
Valerie Adams.
Francine Niyonsaba.
Elena Lashmanova.
Genzebe Dibaba.
TN1965

Postby Tuariki » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:15 pm

gh wrote:OK, "contest" time (although I have no idea which of us will actually remember it 4 years hence!).

As long as you are still operating this message board in 2016 it will not be an issue.

I look forward to boasting about my 10 for 10 in 4 years time with New Zealand being the dominant shot put nation in the world as we win both women's and men's shot. Because of Jamaica we had to choose some other area of athletics besides the sprints.
Tuariki

Postby Fortius19 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:18 pm

At first I thought the rules were you had to pick from the recent Oly medalists. Now I see that that wasn't a requirement. Don't know if that would change my picks anyway.

Adams (I agree she is the biggest lock, I can see her getting two more Oly golds)
Blake
K James
Rudisha
Gebremeskel
Storl
Eaton
Semenya
Lashmanova
B. Reese

Lots of similar picks so far, but I just don't see C. Taylor in the TJ. Maybe because I remember how Tamagho seemed poised to rule for years. And then didn't.
Fortius19

Postby lionelp1 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:15 am

nevetsllim wrote:Fun game (or futile, not sure which :wink: ) although we will have forgotten about it in 4y (or more likely 4wks)

Adams
Perkovic
Rudisha
Lashmanova
Storl
Ruh
Blake
James
Niyonsaba
Felix

No need to remember.... if you can keep certain documents for life for christ sake... put your list on a little piece of paper some where safe... no problem. :)
lionelp1

Postby Tuariki » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:35 am

Fortius19 wrote:Lots of similar picks so far, but I just don't see C. Taylor in the TJ. Maybe because I remember how Tamagho seemed poised to rule for years. And then didn't.

But Taylor isn't a psycho
Tuariki

Postby ATK » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:52 am

Fortius19 wrote:Lots of similar picks so far, but I just don't see C. Taylor in the TJ. Maybe because I remember how Tamagho seemed poised to rule for years. And then didn't.

But Tamgho hasn't even done much besides won world indoors. Taylor has already won outdoor worlds and the Olympics
ATK

Postby berkeley » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:28 am

iain wrote:Yohan Blake
Kirani James
Kaliese Spencer
Perri Shakes-Drayton
Francine Niyonsaba
Mutaz Essa Barshim
Valerie Adams
Christian Taylor
Lawrence Okoye
Holly Bleadsedale

Do I detect a hint of Brit-bias ? PSD, Okoye and Bleasdale are definitely exciting prospects and I would not be surprised to see any of them on the podium (though Shakes-Drayton would have to share it with Spencer), but I wouldn't put any of them in the 10 most likely. In particular, PSD took her game up this year with a home Olympics, but I don't see her improving that much more.
berkeley

Postby GDAWG » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:19 am

Yohan Blake
David Rudisha
Shelley Ann Fraser-Pryce
Kalise Spencer
Brittney Reese
Christian Taylor
Sally Pearson
Kirani James
Valerie Adams
Ashton Eaton
GDAWG

Postby EPelle » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:50 am

Adele Nicoll in either the shot or discus (or both) is one whom I presume will be competitive come Rio.
EPelle

Postby iain » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:22 pm

berkeley wrote:
Kirani James
Kaliese Spencer
Perri Shakes-Drayton
Francine Niyonsaba
Mutaz Essa Barshim
Valerie Adams
Christian Taylor
Lawrence Okoye
Holly Bleadsedale

Do I detect a hint of Brit-bias ? PSD, Okoye and Bleasdale are definitely exciting prospects and I would not be surprised to see any of them on the podium (though Shakes-Drayton would have to share it with Spencer), but I wouldn't put any of them in the 10 most likely. In particular, PSD took her game up this year with a home Olympics, but I don't see her improving that much more.

I think you do :L I disagree about PSD, her hurdling technique is god awful and there is lots of room for improvement.
iain

Postby berkeley » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:35 pm

iain wrote:
berkeley wrote:
Kirani James
Kaliese Spencer
Perri Shakes-Drayton
Francine Niyonsaba
Mutaz Essa Barshim
Valerie Adams
Christian Taylor
Lawrence Okoye
Holly Bleadsedale

I think you do :L I disagree about PSD, her hurdling technique is god awful and there is lots of room for improvement.

She's certainly doing the right thing, IMO, hitching her wagon to John Smith's crew.
berkeley

Postby gh » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:35 pm

ATK wrote:

But Tamgho hasn't even done much besides won world indoors. Taylor has already won outdoor worlds and the Olympics

And Taylor didn't even turn 22 until the week before the Trials started. He's still just learning the event. (Having said that, I think Claye has more upside. He's almost exactly a year younger than Taylor. As in, he was only 20 when he won the World Indoor in March.
gh

Postby tandfman » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:43 am

I saw a report yesterday that said that Tamgho was planning a return to competition. If he's healthy, you can't count him out of the mix. He can be scary good.
tandfman

Postby 18.99s » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:11 am

My prediction:

Yohan Blake
Valerie Adams
Carmelita Jeter
Georganne Moline
Blanka Vlasic (yes, she'll be back!)
Allyson Felix
Ashton Eaton
SAFP
Javier Culson
Kirani James
18.99s

Postby nmzoo » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:04 am

I can tell you that based on recent history (since 2000) of olympic-to-olympic qualifying, only about 26.5% of 2012 team members will even qualify for 2016, and of the medalists who requalify, less than half of them will medal again,
nmzoo

Postby Olli » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:47 am

Has nobody mentioned Keshorn Walcott? He is young enough to be the first to get five consecutive golds in a single event!! (If this prediction proves right in 2028, don't forget to give me credit:-)
Olli

Postby 18.99s » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:58 am

Olli wrote:Has nobody mentioned Keshorn Walcott? He is young enough to be the first to get five consecutive golds in a single event!! (If this prediction proves right in 2028, don't forget to give me credit:-)

I thought about him, but took him off my short list after looking up some facts and figures:

1. He's never thrown beyond 85m.
2. The last time Olympic gold was won with less than 85m was 1988.
3. His winning throw in London (also his SB and PB) would not have medaled (any color medial) in 1996-2008.
4. There are 11 men with longer throws than him in 2012.

Of course, performing on the day is what counts, and when it counted he beat those 11 guys who had better SBs than him, so he deserves the gold. But when comparing him to the competition (not just in the javelin, but others "competing" to be in my top 10 list) I couldn't put him my top 10.
18.99s

Postby Olli » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:37 am

Yes, but given his age Walcott is quite promising. I think his throw is second best in the all-time list of 19-year-olds. Hence he might be one of those young surprise winners that later become steadily successful – like Thorkildsen in Athens, Udo Beyer in Montreal, Bubka in Helsinki WC 1983, etc. Of course he might also vanish from the scene as quickly as he appeared there.
Olli

Postby bushop » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:03 pm

A third goal, which he has already talked about, is to retain the Olympic title in four years' time: "No question, of course Rio is a goal," asserts Harting who will be 28 next month.
bushop

Postby Powell » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:07 am

Olli wrote:Yes, but given his age Walcott is quite promising. I think his throw is second best in the all-time list of 19-year-olds. Hence he might be one of those young surprise winners that later become steadily successful – like Thorkildsen in Athens, Udo Beyer in Montreal, Bubka in Helsinki WC 1983, etc.

Or he could be another Krymarenko or Patoulidou... The point is, he doesn't have enough track record to be in the 'most likely' category.
Powell

Postby GDAWG » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:29 am

GDAWG

Postby Olli » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:24 pm

GDAWG wrote:It probably won't be Margus Hunt:

http://www.smudailycampus.com/sports/hu ... GXPx03AeKh

Oh my, will this talent be lost to some freakish provincial ball game they confusingly call "football"?
Olli

Next