Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby sprintzfan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:18 pm

Here is how I'd like to have men on this message board, reading this thread, think about this overall issue.

Consider this hypothetical.

Several of my black American female friends, find Ryan Bailey to be a very attractive man.

So with this in mind, say if instead of mostly white men covering Olympic Track and Field, it was predominately black women doing it. And in races like the 100 meters, instead of paying attention to Tyson Gay or Justin Gatlin, the lion's share of the media attention this Olympics had been on Ryan Bailey.

Now if this had happened, I don't think you nor I are gonna pick up signs, and start picketing NBC studios. But at the same time I do think we would find it odd and very stupid. And probably get irrated by it. Many of us in the very least would point out the absurdity of NBC focusing on the third best American 100 meter man over the other two. And we'd probably talk some about how the black women at NBC were letting their hormones, drive their coverage. Not focusing on the athletes based on their athletic merits.

See my point?

We as men are so used to sex and physical attactiveness being a big part of how women's sports are marketed to us, we just accept it as a given. We don't give one second of thought to whether it's fair or healthy. Whether a great "ugly" female athlete deserves to be as respected and marketed just much as Charles Barkley's fat ugly azz. :wink: In my opinion Lebron and Kobe aren't exactly male model material either. lol But they both get plenty of media attention, and endorsement commericals etc.. because they are very good at what they do.

I don't look for a society where women enjoy every advantage that we men enjoy, or vice versa. I understand that it is not a perfect world. But the world can be made better, and fairer, even if not perfect.

While I do not think people should take cheap shots at Lo Lo in the media. I nonetheless think "the Lo Lo phenonmenon" can teach us all a lesson, about the inherent unfairness of how female athletes are treated amd marketed.

We can never change how all of this works. But we can start with ourown individual selves, and make a decision to not be a silent co-conspirator to this problem. To this form of unfairness.
sprintzfan
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:17 am

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby sprintzfan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:23 pm

You guys please feel free to help me tweak my Ryan Bailey analogy to best illustrate the point I'm tring to make there. Maybe he isn't the best Lo Lo type male equivalent in terms of his story and accomplishment level, but I hope you still get the point I'm driving at there, even if Ryan Bailey isn't the best male athlete I could have chosen to serve as my example.

If there is a better case of a "very good looking" male athlete who just is not as good as a couple of his closest competitors, I'll gladly replace his name and chosen even with Bailey and the Men's 100m.
sprintzfan
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:17 am

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:23 pm

sprintzfan wrote:When I compared Lo Lo to AK yesterday, I wasn't aruging that the two are identical in their respective sport achievement level. I was making the point that in both cases, the bulk of the attention they received is due to certain things about their looks, NOT due to anything in particular about their "game."

While both Lolo and Kourikova get attention for their looks, I think in Kournikova's case it was only because of her looks, while in Lolo's case, it's looks, along with an interesting life story and an outgoing, charismatic personality that makes for a good interview subject. On the other hand, I've heard a couple of sports journalists complain about what a terrible interviewee Kournikova is and I think her life story is pretty ordinary. Over the years, I've seen hundreds of female athletes who were at least as attractive as Lolo that never got the attention that Lolo's has gotten, and I think it's probably because they had ordinary personalities and/or ordinary life stories.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10857
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:29 pm

gh wrote:I don't think Longman has ever liked track, and his ongoing coverage of the sport through the years shows it. He's one of the i-only-like-to-write-dirt bunch.


Of all of the NYTimes sports writers he is definitely my least favorite. The guy is complete crap.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby sprintzfan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:30 pm

jazzcyclist wrote: While both Lolo and Kourikova get attention for their looks, I think in Kournikova's case it was only because of her looks, while in Lolo's case, it's looks, along with an interesting life story and an outgoing, charismatic personality that makes for a good interview subject. On the other hand, I've heard a couple of sports journalists complain about what a terrible interviewee Kournikova is and I think her life story is pretty ordinary. Over the years, I've seen hundreds of female athletes who were at least as attractive as Lolo that never got the attention that Lolo's has gotten, and I think it's probably because they had ordinary personalities and/or ordinary life stories.



AK had some early success that I think journalists have tried to point to, as the reason she got so much attention. Like I think she made it to the Semis at Wimbledon at a very young age.

But that said, I think you make a good distinction about the difference in their lives. I don't know a lot about AK's upbringing, but I don't recall ever hearing any of the types of hardship I have heard about with Lo Lo. So you very well might have a strong point there jazz.

So you think the comparison to AK is unfair right? And people shouldn't make it. Am I interpresting your position right there?
sprintzfan
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:17 am

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby sprintzfan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:38 pm

Tell me if you agree with the following jazzcyclist:

Yesterday over on the 100meter hurdle thread, we were discussing the Lo Lo phenomenon from more of a colorism type perspective? From the perspecive of how as I put it there, the very light skinned black woman is always considered better looking than the very dark skinned one in our mass media culture.

But today on this thread, and in the NYT article, we are more looking at the possible sexist aspects of Lo Lo's treatment than the "colorist" aspect. We are looking at how women athletes in general are treated. Not just black one. Or light skinned black ones. Female athletes in general.

And in general if they think you are cute, that alone can get you lots of media attention. While the same is NEVER true in male sports.

I'm sure more women found Rick Fox handsome in Laker days than Kobe or Shaq. But our sports media was never silly enough to even try to give Rick Fox more ink than the best Lakers. More press than Kobe, Shaq, Derek Fisher, Robert Horry etc..

If I had noticed Rick Fox getting a lot of attention before an NBA Finals started, I would have thought they had lost their minds at NBC or ABC. I would have asked, "Why all the focus on this scrub." lol
sprintzfan
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:17 am

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby tracknut2012 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:43 pm

Lolo is slowing learning that the same media build you up to tear you down.
tracknut2012
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:25 pm

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:53 pm

sprintzfan wrote:AK had some early success that I think journalists have tried to point to, as the reason she got so much attention. Like I think she made it to the Semis at Wimbledon at a very young age.

But that said, I think you make a good distinction about the difference in their lives. I don't know a lot about AK's upbringing, but I don't recall ever hearing any of the types of hardship I have heard about with Lo Lo. So you very well might have a strong point there jazz.

So you think the comparison to AK is unfair right? And people shouldn't make it. Am I interpresting your position right there?

I think female athletes in general hate being compared to AK, because they see her as a loser who wasn't serious about her craft and was more interested in being a celebrity. I once saw someone interviewing Maria Sharipova and the AK comparison was brought up and she got so mad that I thought she would strangle the reporter. I don't think Lolo would have gotten upset if someone had compared her to someone considered glamorous and attractive as long as that person was also recognized as being accomplished.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10857
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:57 pm

sprintzfan wrote:Tell me if you agree with the following jazzcyclist:

Yesterday over on the 100meter hurdle thread, we were discussing the Lo Lo phenomenon from more of a colorism type perspective? From the perspecive of how as I put it there, the very light skinned black woman is always considered better looking than the very dark skinned one in our mass media culture.

But today on this thread, and in the NYT article, we are more looking at the possible sexist aspects of Lo Lo's treatment than the "colorist" aspect. We are looking at how women athletes in general are treated. Not just black one. Or light skinned black ones. Female athletes in general.

And in general if they think you are cute, that alone can get you lots of media attention. While the same is NEVER true in male sports.

I'm sure more women found Rick Fox handsome in Laker days than Kobe or Shaq. But our sports media was never silly enough to even try to give Rick Fox more ink than the best Lakers. More press than Kobe, Shaq, Derek Fisher, Robert Horry etc..

If I had noticed Rick Fox getting a lot of attention before an NBA Finals started, I would have thought they had lost their minds at NBC or ABC. I would have asked, "Why all the focus on this scrub." lol

I agree that male athletes never get media attention because of their looks but they do get attention because of their personalities and life stories (eg. Dennis Rodman, Charles Barkley, Jeremy Lin, Oscar Pistorious).
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10857
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby Marlow » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:10 pm

Yahoo Sports wrote:it is not the job of the media to support athletes. It is the job of the media to cover the sport, both good and bad.

Oh REALLY? It is the job of the media to cover the sport for BAD?!
Edward R Murrow just spun OUT of his grave.
Can I please get a job in a profession (sic) where I am supposed to do bad!
[and yes, in this context, that's exactly what 'bad' refers to]
Marlow
 
Posts: 21075
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby Pelpa » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:32 pm

Adriana S wrote:On The New York Times calling her the "Anna Kournikova of track":

"They didn't even do their research, calling me the Anna Kournikova of track. I have the American record. I am the American record holder indoors, I have two world indoor titles. Just because I don't boast about these things, I don't think I should be ripped apart by media."

She continued:

"I think it was crazy just because it was two days before I competed, and then the fact that it was from a U.S. media, they should be supporting our U.S. Olympic athletes and instead they just ripped me to shreds."


This is a disservice to Anna Kournikouva. Kournikouva was chosen by TVland and did go banging at the doors then the windows, she was chosen. She aint lo'williwinki.
Pelpa
 
Posts: 1613
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:18 pm

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby bekayne » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:59 pm

Just for the record, it wasn't the writer that made the comparison; he just quoted the professor at Western Ontario.
bekayne
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:40 am
Location: Kelowna, B.C., Canada

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby sprintzfan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:23 pm

jazzcyclist wrote: I think female athletes in general hate being compared to AK, because they see her as a loser who wasn't serious about her craft and was more interested in being a celebrity. I once saw someone interviewing Maria Sharipova and the AK comparison was brought up and she got so mad that I thought she would strangle the reporter. I don't think Lolo would have gotten upset if someone had compared her to someone considered glamorous and attractive as long as that person was also recognized as being accomplished.


I agree with you. I can see how female athletes wouldn't like this.

But I think for some of them it is partially true. And it true for some women in other areas such as music, and broadcasting etc..

The truth hurts sometimes. Including the partial truth.

Speaking of Sharapova, I watch a program on ESPN called "Around the Horn" as often as I can. And one of the regulars on the show is a sports writer named Tim Cowlishaw. And he cleary has a crush on Sharapova.

Now I don't mind men including male sports journalists to have crushes on female athletes. I've got PLENTY of them myself. I adore athletic women. Heck, lust for many of them to be completely honest. lol

But I think it's stupid to confuse a female athlete you like or are attracted to, for one who is good.

Cowlishaw is always bringing up Sharapova's name, as though she is one of the very best in the game. If she is still in a tournament he talks about how good the tournament is going to be, because of her presence. Frankly. He talks about her as though she is as good as Serena. And every time I have seen Serena play her since '04 Wimbledon, Serena has totally whipped her ass. Including this past weekend in the Olympics.

So at least a little bit, I see some Kournakova in Sharapova too. I see men in the media like Cowlishaw pretending like she is much better than she really is. Just because he thinks she is hot.

Now I know a lot of black men who are attracted to Serena's body. (Not me, not my type.) But I have never noticed a male member of the media doing for Serena, what I think Cowlishaw does for Sharapova.

So yes, I do see a little "Kournakova effect" in the media handling of Sharapova. I honestly have never noticed Serena ever getting any of that. I see people acknowledge Serena's greatest as a tennis player. But I've never noticed any media member seeming to me to exaggerate her skills, because he things she is hot, or has a "bangin'" body, or a big butt.

If Serena's number of Grand Slam events was Sharapova's current number, and Sharapova's was Serena's current number, I don't think I'd hear Cowlishaw or most other media folks would bring up Serena's name that often. Not as often, as I see and hear things about Sharapova.

So althought without a doubt Sharapova is a FAR more accomplished tennis player than AK ever was, I nonetheless see a little "AK effect" in Sharapova's media treatment.
sprintzfan
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:17 am

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby sprintzfan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:33 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
I agree that male athletes never get media attention because of their looks but they do get attention because of their personalities and life stories (eg. Dennis Rodman, Charles Barkley, Jeremy Lin, Oscar Pistorious).


Agreed.Totally agree with you on that.

Although I did think Lin's buzz was due to his being Asian. Which by the way never bothered me. I think when an athlete is completely different race than the vast majority who play that sport in that league, it is a legitimate interest or curiousity to notice the "unique" person.

I myself kinda felt that way about Jeremy Wariner. His apparent race interested me, and even added to how hard I rooted for him I think. I like seeing stereotypes disproved. To me Wariner was doing that some. Then I just liked the way that young guy carried himself. He was cool and had swag imo. I kinda miss him.
sprintzfan
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:17 am

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby tracknut2012 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:50 pm

Lolo gave a tear jerker interview regarding the whole issue. Saw it on nbcbolympics.com
tracknut2012
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:25 pm

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby Daisy » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:35 pm

bekayne wrote:Just for the record, it wasn't the writer that made the comparison; he just quoted the professor at Western Ontario.

Thanks for the correction. As you can see I didn't even bother reading the piece. I will now though.
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby sprintzfan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:45 pm

Somebody please give me some feedback if you would, on my "Ryan Bailey to Lo Lo" analogy on page one of this thread. The portion I put in red font.

Does that hypothetical situation hit home for other men here? Do you agree with me that if the tables were turned, and a bunch of NBC network women started giving Bailey more attention than Gay or Gatlin, that we'd all find that to be incrediblly ridiculous?

That to some degree is how I see the Lo Lo thing. Maybe it's also part of the hardship life story aspect that jazzcyclist brought to my attention. But Kellie Wells has a hard luck life story too, right? And that doesn't seem to have been enough to garner her Lo Lo treatment.

So in light of all this, I'm thinking my Ryan Bailey analogy still holds water. At least a little bit. lol

Good night folks. Chat with you tomorrow. :)
sprintzfan
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:17 am

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby no one » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:53 pm

apparently this deal has some roots, according to some of the things said in the following article. Pretty interesting read for me:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/815 ... ly-pearson
no one
 
Posts: 1611
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby Grazerism » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:32 pm

tracknut2012 wrote:Lolo is slowing learning that the same media build you up to tear you down.


Joni Mitchell:
Just when you're getting a taste for worship
They start bringing out the hammers
And the boards
And the nails
Grazerism
 
Posts: 1046
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Augsburg

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby Adriana S » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:34 pm

The only thing Lolo can be blamed for is the whole "virginity" thing.

I think if she had kept that one to herself, then the media downfall wouldn't be as harsh.
Adriana S
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:50 pm

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby j-a-m » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:40 am

jazzcyclist wrote:I agree that male athletes never get media attention because of their looks but they do get attention because of their personalities and life stories (eg. Dennis Rodman, Charles Barkley, Jeremy Lin, Oscar Pistorious).

What about David Beckham; he seems rather overrated as a soccer player, and yet he's in the news all the time; and I guess getting married to a pop singer is not what you'd consider a compelling life story.
j-a-m
 
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby j-a-m » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:47 am

bekayne wrote:Just for the record, it wasn't the writer that made the comparison; he just quoted the professor at Western Ontario.

That's a valid point. There are plenty of annoying statements in the article that the author makes himself, but the AK comparison isn't one of them.
j-a-m
 
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby j-a-m » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:57 am

sprintzfan wrote:Somebody please give me some feedback if you would, on my "Ryan Bailey to Lo Lo" analogy on page one of this thread. The portion I put in red font.

One difference between Bailey and Lolo is that Lolo has been a world class hurdler for several years, while Bailey hasn't been world class until this year.
j-a-m
 
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby j-a-m » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:59 am

sprintzfan wrote:Somebody please give me some feedback if you would, on my "Ryan Bailey to Lo Lo" analogy on page one of this thread. The portion I put in red font.

Another aspect of the specific Bailey example is that he's tall, I believe about the same size as Bolt. And there used to be that perception out there that that's too tall for a world class sprinter, so a tall athlete was more likely to play basketball or something else.

Now it's been a few years since Bolt has proven that perception wrong, and it should be a question of time until there are more tall world class sprinters. And that's something that makes Ryan Bailey's story compelling, so I'd actually like to see more coverage.
j-a-m
 
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby sprintzfan » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:04 am

Thanks for the feedback j-a-m. :)
sprintzfan
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:17 am

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:22 am

bekayne wrote:Just for the record, it wasn't the writer that made the comparison; he just quoted the professor at Western Ontario.

But the writer decided who he wanted to interview and what parts of the interview he wanted to print. Surely you don't believe there was any chance that the writer would have quoted any praise that the professor gave Lolo, do you? For all we know, the professor's interview could have been 90% pro Lolo, and the writer just cherry-picked the bad stuff.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10857
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:46 am

j-a-m wrote:
What about David Beckham; he seems rather overrated as a soccer player, and yet he's in the news all the time; and I guess getting married to a pop singer is not what you'd consider a compelling life story.


Not if you saw Beckham during his Man U days. Back in the 1990's he was something. But also a bit petulant. His antics against the Argies in the WC 1998 probably cost England's best hopes in the last 20 years.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby lapsus » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:18 am

Adriana S wrote:The only thing Lolo can be blamed for is the whole "virginity" thing.

I think if she had kept that one to herself, then the media downfall wouldn't be as harsh.

For some reason or another, that particular information really brought out the Internet haters. The backlash was both interesting and chilling to see.

Except for sometimes using it to project some kind of aura of immaturity on her, the attacks were not concentrated on the "virginity" thing, but on finding fault on anything and everything about her (the definition of a "hater", I guess). Was it just about holding on to their weird social norms (virgin = loser, Lolo = virgin, therefore Lolo must be a loser -> hate when she gets more attention than her "betters")?

But, in any case, I don't see how Lolo can be blamed for other peoples prejudices and sexual hangups.

Hating on her media coverage is a bit different. Luckily, I am not in a position to comment whether or not that was annoying enough to be a reason to hate the subject as well :wink:
Last edited by lapsus on Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
lapsus
 
Posts: 881
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:36 am

lapsus wrote:
Adriana S wrote:The only thing Lolo can be blamed for is the whole "virginity" thing.

I think if she had kept that one to herself, then the media downfall wouldn't be as harsh.

For some reason or another, that particular information really brought out the Internet haters. The backlash was both interesting and chilling to see.

Except for sometimes using it to project some kind of aura of immaturity on her, the attacks were not concentrated on the "virginity" thing, but on finding fault on anything and everything about her (the definition of a "hater", I guess). Was it just about holding on to their weird social norms (virgin = loser, Lolo = virgin, therefore Lolo must be a loser -> hate when she gets more attention than her "betters")?

But, in any case, I don't see how Lolo can be blamed for other peoples prejudices and sexual hangups.


Not that I care at all about this silly story, but it probably reminded everyone of what annoyed them about Tebow. Without Tebowism setting the scene this tale probably would never had gone far.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby lapsus » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:43 am

Conor Dary wrote:Not that I care at all about this silly story, but it probably reminded everyone of what annoyed them about Tebow. Without Tebowism setting the scene this tale probably would never had gone far.

Sounds like a reasonable explanation too. I was spared any excess Tebowism, too, here in Europe - just saw some news and clips about some surprise victory and thought to myself "that would probably have been very interesting to see live... perhaps I should try watching some NFL matches next year to see what is so interesting about it" - so I couldn't associate it with Lolo.
lapsus
 
Posts: 881
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:44 am

Conor Dary wrote:Not that I care at all about this silly story, but it probably reminded everyone of what annoyed them about Tebow. Without Tebowism setting the scene this tale probably would never had gone far.

Whay annoyed me about Tebow is the fact that he wore his religion on his sleeve. The virginity thing didn't bother me just like it didn't with AC Green.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10857
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby tracknut2012 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:54 am

Lolo had some crocodile tears on her interview on NBC.Fake, phony. Damm I hate it. Your 5 minutes of viginity fame is up Lolo.
tracknut2012
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:25 pm

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:12 am

tracknut2012 wrote:Lolo had some crocodile tears on her interview on NBC.Fake, phony. Damm I hate it. Your 5 minutes of viginity fame is up Lolo.

Actually she didn't shed any tears. Look at the video in 1080p if you don't believe me.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10857
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby Daisy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:18 am

Conor Dary wrote:His antics against the Argies in the WC 1998 probably cost England's best hopes in the last 20 years.

I'm no Beckham fan but I don't blame him too much for that red card. Simione had just finished kneeing him in the back, when the ref was not looking, and Beckham's retaliatory flick was trivial in comparison (but stupid), and probably some what instinctive as he was trying to get rid of the Argentine.
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby tracknut2012 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:31 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
tracknut2012 wrote:Lolo had some crocodile tears on her interview on NBC.Fake, phony. Damm I hate it. Your 5 minutes of viginity fame is up Lolo.

Actually she didn't shed any tears. Look at the video in 1080p if you don't believe me.


She wanted to and you could hear it in her voice. She just needs to go away.
tracknut2012
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:25 pm

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:32 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
tracknut2012 wrote:Lolo had some crocodile tears on her interview on NBC.Fake, phony. Damm I hate it. Your 5 minutes of viginity fame is up Lolo.

Actually she didn't shed any tears. Look at the video in 1080p if you don't believe me.


Is this the Zapruder film equivalent? :lol:
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby lapsus » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:35 am

tracknut2012 wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:
tracknut2012 wrote:Lolo had some crocodile tears on her interview on NBC.Fake, phony. Damm I hate it. Your 5 minutes of viginity fame is up Lolo.

Actually she didn't shed any tears. Look at the video in 1080p if you don't believe me.


She wanted to and you could hear it in her voice. She just needs to go away.

You heard in her voice that she wanted to cry fake crocodile tears? :?
lapsus
 
Posts: 881
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:43 am

lapsus wrote:
tracknut2012 wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:
tracknut2012 wrote:Lolo had some crocodile tears on her interview on NBC.Fake, phony. Damm I hate it. Your 5 minutes of viginity fame is up Lolo.

Actually she didn't shed any tears. Look at the video in 1080p if you don't believe me.


She wanted to and you could hear it in her voice. She just needs to go away.

You heard in her voice that she wanted to cry fake crocodile tears? :?

When the biggest and most pretigious newspaper in the country publishes an article that sounds like it was written by your bitterest enemy, I don't think it's necessary for most of us to fake being shaken up a bit. My voice would probably be quivering a bit if that happened to me. Who wouldn't be rattled under those circumstances? And how do you know "she wanted to cry fake crocodile tears", but couldn't? Are you a mind reader?
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10857
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:04 am

I finally got around to reading the piece. Yes, it is over the top. Frankly, he should have gone after NBC for promoting LJ so heavily. After seeing so many preview ads, and I don't watch that much TV, that I kept wondering if NBC realized she lost in 2008 and was unlikely to do much better this time around.

And I see Tebow is mentioned! Without Tebow setting the pathway I really doubt there would have been much of a LJ story.

And did she really send a silly twitter with the gun story?
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Lolo Jones Fires Back At Media For AK Analogy

Postby lapsus » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:15 am

jazzcyclist wrote:When the biggest and most pretigious newspaper in the country publishes an article that sounds like it was written by your bitterest enemy, I don't think it's necessary for most of us to fake being shaken up a bit. My voice would probably be quivering a bit if that happened to me. Who wouldn't be rattled under those circumstances? And how do you know "she wanted to cry fake crocodile tears", but couldn't? Are you a mind reader?

I think we are in violent agreement.
lapsus
 
Posts: 881
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: americantrackfan, Bing [Bot] and 8 guests