¶2012 OG: m400H–Felix Sanchez (DomR) 47.63

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: 2012 OG: m400H–Sanchez (DomR) leads semis at 47.76

Postby Jacksf » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:31 pm

bruce3404 wrote:Not sure why some don't like Taylor unless it had to do with his indiscretion many years ago. He's been a real warrior, always volunteering for 4x400 duty, even when he was hurting last year in Daegu. I've met him and he's a really nice guy.

I think indiscretion (and that should be plural) is being very polite.
Jacksf

Re: 2012 OG: m400H–Culson (PR) leads round 1 at 48.33

Postby Grasshopper » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:32 pm

Grasshopper wrote:Sanchez has been my sentimental favorite all along. The only guy still around that I can say I ran against head-to-head. Hope for old men :D .

I just did a cross-reference and found that Sanchez actually competed against Kevin Young back in '99 (well, kind of - they were in separate prelim heats at the '99 USA nationals, before Sanchez switched allegiance to DR). How many current Olympians, let alone GOLD MEDALISTS(!), can say they competed against the holder of a now 20-year old WR (and the champion in their event from 5 Olympics past)!?

This is now my favorite Olympic moment of all-time. So pumped!
Grasshopper

Postby tgs3 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:12 pm

Grasshopper wrote:
Grasshopper wrote:Sanchez has been my sentimental favorite all along. The only guy still around that I can say I ran against head-to-head. Hope for old men :D .

I just did a cross-reference and found that Sanchez actually competed against Kevin Young back in '99 (well, kind of - they were in separate prelim heats at the '99 USA nationals, before Sanchez switched allegiance to DR). How many current Olympians, let alone GOLD MEDALISTS(!), can say they competed against the holder of a now 20-year old WR (and the champion in their event from 5 Olympics past)!?

It appears to be at least somewhat common in the field events:

In the discus, Alekna competed against Jurgen Schult a bunch of times. The WR is only 16 years old, but Schult won his gold the Olympics before Young.

The javelin WR is also 16 years old. I assume a bunch of current throwers have competed against Zelezný since he retired relatively recently. Like Young, he also won the gold in 1992.

In the shot put, I assume Adam Nelson competed against Randy Barnes in the 1996 or 1997 US championships. Barnes' record is 22 years old, but his gold is more recent, in 1996. Barnes did win the silver in 1988.

The hammer WR is now 26 years old and Sedykh won his first gold in 1976. He was active until at least 1994 and some of the current hammer guys are pretty old, so I'm fairly certain some of them probably competed against him when they were young.
tgs3

Postby ATK » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:18 pm

Grasshopper wrote:

Was Taylor not there in 99?
ATK

Postby Grasshopper » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:20 pm

tgs3 wrote:
Grasshopper wrote:

It appears to be at least somewhat common in the field events:

In the discus, Alekna competed against Jurgen Schult a bunch of times. The WR is only 16 years old, but Schult won his gold the Olympics before Young.

The javelin WR is also 16 years old. I assume a bunch of current throwers have competed against Zelezný since he retired relatively recently. Like Young, he also won the gold in 1992.

In the shot put, I assume Adam Nelson competed against Randy Barnes in the 1996 or 1997 US championships. Barnes' record is 22 years old, but his gold is more recent, in 1996. Barnes did win the silver in 1988.

The hammer WR is now 26 years old and Sedykh won his first gold in 1976. He was active until at least 1994 and some of the current hammer guys are pretty old, so I'm fairly certain some of them probably competed against him when they were young.

Aw, party-pooper :x ! (j/k) Yes, I suppose that makes sense because throwers are able to compete at a high level munch longer into their 30's (and even 40's) than runners and jumpers can. But again, how many of those throwers who might've competed against Zelezny or Schultz are in the hunt for the GOLD MEDAL(!) that Sanchez just won?
Grasshopper

Postby berkeley » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:26 pm

Grasshopper wrote:

Dragutin Topic competed many times against Sotomayor, who set his first WR 24 years ago ... mind you, he didn't get close to a gold medal, failing to clear the opening height in qualifying.
berkeley

Postby Grasshopper » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:30 pm

ATK wrote:
Grasshopper wrote:

Was Taylor not there in 99?

Yep, Taylor was in Eugene against Young (didn't compete head-to-head either) in '99, as well. He's actually an even greater model of longevity, as he'd achieved an elite level of hurdler a few years before Sanchez did (Taylor competed at the WJC way back in '96). As a matter of fact, I see that Taylor raced head-to-head with Young March of '98, beating him 49.65 to 49.80 at the Coca-Cola Inv. in Gainsville, FL. I suppose the longevity award should go to Taylor, afterall. Regardless, Sanchez is the 34-year old with the GOLD MEDAL! :D
Grasshopper

Postby Grasshopper » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:34 pm

berkeley wrote:
Grasshopper wrote:

Dragutin Topic competed many times against Sotomayor, who set his first WR 24 years ago ... mind you, he didn't get close to a gold medal, failing to clear the opening height in qualifying.

You read my mind (soon after I made that last post), remembering that Topic had qualified for these games - which I thought was an awesome achievement for the "old" guys. Didn't quite have the success of Sanchez this year though (nor even back when Topic was Sanchez's age). Hopefully these guys (Sanchez, Taylor, Topic, etc.) will inspire more sprinters and jumpers to stick with the sport past their early 30's.
Grasshopper

Re: ¶2012 OG: m400H–Felix Sanchez (DomR) 47.63

Postby Grazerism » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:52 pm

The US obviously has a huge problem now with the flat 400--and Kerron Clement has always had a problem with the hurdles. Despite Clement's golds, I have felt for many years that he should switch to the flat 400. Getting him to switch would be killing 2 birds with one stone.

(That said, he was running well in London until the last curve. His inevitable stutter-step just came earlier than usual.)
Grazerism

Postby Weights&Shoes » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:19 pm

j-a-m wrote:
Athletics wrote:Also very touching when he took a photo out of his running outfit (must have had it inside the outfit when running the race); it was a picture of his family I believe.

Picture of his late grandmother.

Who passed in 2008, during the Beijing Games I believe.
Weights&Shoes

Postby Grasshopper » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:33 pm

Weights&Shoes wrote:
j-a-m wrote:
Athletics wrote:Also very touching when he took a photo out of his running outfit (must have had it inside the outfit when running the race); it was a picture of his family I believe.

Picture of his late grandmother.

Who passed in 2008, during the Beijing Games I believe.

A good write-up here (http://www.ocregister.com/sports/sanchez-367567-years-four.html) on Sanchez's victory and the story behind his his dedication of the race to his grandmother. I didn't know that he learned of her death the morning of his 1st-round race in Beijing (in which he understandably ran horribly).
Last edited by Grasshopper on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grasshopper

Postby fourjz » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:36 pm

MightyBurner wrote:Wait. Harvard-Westlake has Joanna Hayes AND Felix Sanchez on their coaching staff.. How much are they paying these people?

Alot. :mrgreen:
fourjz

Postby TrakFan » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:48 pm

jjimbojames wrote:
MightyBurner wrote:
t_monk wrote:
MightyBurner wrote:US Citizens finish 1-4 :D

Clinging on as much as you can huh? lol

Fixed it. Thought Dai Greene was pipped by Angelo. A silver is still better than the wooden medal that shit talker extraordinaire Dai Greene won.

Keep up - that was the press stirring, not Dai - this was buried a long time ago

I suppose his opinion on athletes and drugs varies by nationality?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympi ... Games.html

Greene on Merrit:
I’ve never spoken to him before in my life. All I know is that I’ll probably see him around the competition, but I’m not concerned about anything he has to say. He got banned, and it seems to me that the ban was pretty soft....It’s just disappointing that if I am running the relay, I will have to run against somebody who has taken drugs in the past. And I know that he has. He purposely did it.”

Greene on Chambers:
I’ve spoken to Dwain and he’s such a nice guy, a genuine guy. I’ve nothing but praise for the way he is conducting himself...."Dwain was very young when he did it, and he has gone a long way to help combat drugs cheats since then. And yet he has come off much worse.”
TrakFan

Postby 110hedgeNYC » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:10 pm

Congratulations to Felix Sanchez.

that was a great, great performance and comeback.

fantastic.

Hat's off to Tinsley as well. he stepped up big time.
110hedgeNYC

Postby Randy Treadway » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:04 pm

TrakFan wrote:I suppose his opinion on athletes and drugs varies by nationality?

Greene on Merrit:
I’ve never spoken to him before in my life. All I know is that I’ll probably see him around the competition, but I’m not concerned about anything he has to say. He got banned, and it seems to me that the ban was pretty soft....It’s just disappointing that if I am running the relay, I will have to run against somebody who has taken drugs in the past. And I know that he has. He purposely did it.”

Greene on Chambers:
I’ve spoken to Dwain and he’s such a nice guy, a genuine guy. I’ve nothing but praise for the way he is conducting himself...."Dwain was very young when he did it, and he has gone a long way to help combat drugs cheats since then. And yet he has come off much worse.”

I'm beginning to conclude that most Brits are brainwashed into thinking that, because British penalties are much harsher than the IAAF, that anybody penalized in any way by the IAAF who is *not* British, particularly those who receive a penalty *less* than what the British penalty would be for the same type of finding, is to be branded as evil incarnate for the rest of their life. Doesn't that about sum it up?
I hate to paint so many British friends with such a broad brush... but it seems like that's all we're hearing around here.
Randy Treadway

Postby jjimbojames » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:44 pm

That article is clearly a set up that, sadly, reinforces, Randy's idea.

However, the truth is a lot of Brit athletes have said Dwian is a nice guy but they don't think he should be competing at an OG

There are also just as many posters on here who support Dwain and other returning offenders as they do those who have no black marks against their name
jjimbojames

Postby Flumpy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:58 am

Grazerism wrote:The US obviously has a huge problem now with the flat 400--and Kerron Clement has always had a problem with the hurdles. Despite Clement's golds, I have felt for many years that he should switch to the flat 400. Getting him to switch would be killing 2 birds with one stone.

Completely agree.

Kerron Clement is what is known in my house as a 'constant clean' which is basically someone who is is their own worst enemy but doesn't even know it.

If you still can't hurdle after all these years it's time to make some changes.
Flumpy

Postby iain » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:29 am

Randy Treadway wrote:
TrakFan wrote:I suppose his opinion on athletes and drugs varies by nationality?

Greene on Merrit:

Greene on Chambers:

I'm beginning to conclude that most Brits are brainwashed into thinking that, because British penalties are much harsher than the IAAF, that anybody penalized in any way by the IAAF who is *not* British, particularly those who receive a penalty *less* than what the British penalty would be for the same type of finding, is to be branded as evil incarnate for the rest of their life. Doesn't that about sum it up?
I hate to paint so many British friends with such a broad brush... but it seems like that's all we're hearing around here.

Not at all, but people are much more likely to forgive people from their own nation, it's only natural. I am more inclined to forgive Dwain because he has admitted he took drugs, which is a lot more than most cheats do. I also forgive people from nations without much strength or depth as I can empathise with their decision more. The nation whose athletes I forgive least is USA because they always seem to win :roll: My least favourite athlete is Justin Gatlin :evil:
iain

Postby bruce3404 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:33 am

Jacksf wrote:
bruce3404 wrote:Not sure why some don't like Taylor unless it had to do with his indiscretion many years ago. He's been a real warrior, always volunteering for 4x400 duty, even when he was hurting last year in Daegu. I've met him and he's a really nice guy.

I think indiscretion (and that should be plural) is being very polite.

Well, it is a time to emulate the British way :D
bruce3404

Postby bruce3404 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:36 am

Grasshopper wrote: I suppose the longevity award should go to Taylor, afterall. Regardless, Sanchez is the 34-year old with the GOLD MEDAL! :D

I'm thinking Taylor is just a few days away from another gold as part of the 4x400, though the loss of Merritt makes the race a lot more difficult for the US team.
bruce3404

Postby lionelp1 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:24 am

Great performance by Sanchez, a guy wearing the Dominican Republican top so thats the country he was representing.

Just about everyone got it wrong and it was a worthy step up by the unexpected Silver medallist.

Such a great thing in the OG that the previous WC performances and DL races count for little when the OG comes round ., as Greene and Culson will tell you.

Greene will probably not medal again at the OG/WC until he improves his flat speed. GB's last OG medallist was Akabusi with a bronze and he was a sub 45 sec flat man.
lionelp1

Postby Diego Sahagún » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:52 am

And the gold medal for sobbing on the podium goes to... Emotional hurdler Felix Sanchez lets it all go after winning Olympic title in memory of his grandmother

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z22sctJzzB :roll:
Diego Sahagún

Postby Alan Shank » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:00 am

lionelp1 wrote:Such a great thing in the OG that the previous WC performances and DL races count for little when the OG comes round ., as Greene and Culson will tell you.

Just as previous (i.e., these) OG performances will count for little next year in MoskvA.
Cheers,
Alan Shank
Alan Shank

Postby notlef70 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:21 am

bruce3404 wrote:
Grasshopper wrote: I suppose the longevity award should go to Taylor, afterall. Regardless, Sanchez is the 34-year old with the GOLD MEDAL! :D

I'm thinking Taylor is just a few days away from another gold as part of the 4x400, though the loss of Merritt makes the race a lot more difficult for the US team.

Do you think that the US can still win the gold? I'm not so sure. We need at least 1-2 people who are capable of a 43 second split... I don't see any in our lineup...
notlef70

Postby Jacksf » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:16 pm

Your friend just lost the relay gold.
That makes him a double loser at this Olympics. :wink:
Jacksf

Postby eldanielfire » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:58 am

I thought it would seem right to post in here that this gold led on to Felix winning the for comeback of the year :)
eldanielfire

Postby unclezadok » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:23 am

I wonder how many Americans represented other countries at the last Olympics. I'll bet that the number is over 100. In fact, Americans representing other countries may be one of the stronger "teams" at the Games. I may look into this and make a thread for the topic.
unclezadok

Postby Marlow » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:27 am

unclezadok wrote:I wonder how many Americans represented other countries at the last Olympics. I'll bet that the number is over 100. In fact, Americans representing other countries may be one of the stronger "teams" at the Games. I may look into this and make a thread for the topic.

Won't we then have to have a thread about how many foreigners scored for our team (e.g., SRR)?
Marlow

Postby gh » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:34 am

Everybody but Billy Mills was a foreigner. (oh yeah, and Lewis Tewanima)
gh

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:47 am

How about the guy that said "Thanks, King"?
26mi235

Postby Marlow » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:16 pm

gh wrote:Everybody but Billy Mills was a foreigner. (oh yeah, and Lewis Tewanima)

Millennially speaking perhaps, but I think that being born and raised here counts for SUMPIN. I'm only a 12th generation Murkan, but I feel pretty good about THAT! :D
Marlow

Postby user4 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:24 pm

26mi235 wrote:How about the guy that said "Thanks, King"?

he was on the same track team at Carlisle as Lewis Tewanima . Two poverty stricken kids from the same marginal school end up with OG medals, simply amazing.
user4

PreviousNext