Stick to hardware stores

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Stick to hardware stores

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 01, 2003 2:16 pm

The Home Depot meet has set a new low for meet websites. Incredibly lacking in information, and some of what they have is just pathetic. The meet is over, but there are no results on the web. I hope the meet and the telecast were better than the website. Couldn't be much worse.

Re: Stick to hardware stores

Postby tafnut » Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:00 pm

I was pleasantly surprised by the telecast. Rawson is still stuck on his "go down to your high school track" routine, and Carol still makes absurdly obvious and gratuitous remarks, but all in all better than the Pre meet. Of course the best part is that it was LIVE!
tafnut

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:11 pm

Could you please post the results of this meeting. I cannot find them anywhere. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:22 pm

Yeah it's a pretty sad day when I feel like it's 1974 again.... and I will have to wait for tomorrow's newspaper and hope that maybe there will be partial results of, oh, I dunno, 2 or 3 events buried in the "Scoreboard" page along with lacrosse and ping-pong. Couldn't watch the event on tv here in Toronto, which wants to host a Summer Olympics, and where the local papers treat athletics worse than lacrosse and ping-pong. Seriously. This town needs to smarten up and show that it DESERVES to host the major showpiece of the world's second biggest sport after soccer.

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:34 pm

Could somebody please post re: women's 100? How did Allyson Felix do? Time? Who won? Would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:38 pm

equally annoying about Rawson is his Yoda-speak: "she has the best time in the world this year, by far, does Ana Guevera."

But props to Carol Lewis for calling out US track meets for not using the new IAAF false start rule, saying, quite correctly I feel, that American sprinters and hurdlers will be at a disadvantage on the European circuit and at the world champs.

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:39 pm

Kelli White won the 100 in 10.79 with something like 2.3 mps wind. Torri Edwards was second in 10.96. Felix ran in the 11.30s

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:49 pm

What's really sickening about that website is that with all those graphics, someone must have paid good money to put it up--money that could have used to bring in a few more athletes. These people have no clue about what a meet website should have. Some of that crap was written by a moron who doesn't know anything about track. Couldn't USATF have helped them out in the info department? Couldn't someone have tapped them on the shoulder and told them that they were making fools of themselves?

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:53 pm

thanks for the results. that's quite a surprisingly slow result for Felix and makes me wonder if the media has put a monkey on her back by calling her "the future of sprinting, now" blah blah blah. Give the girl a break, she's 17. Besides, she's going to discover soon enough, hopefully sooner than later, that she is a born 200/400 sprinter. Too many great 400 talents waste their time in the 100 (Raelene Boyle would have been incredible at 1 lap, likewise Gwen Torrence and Evelyn Ashford), because the 100 is way overrated.

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 01, 2003 4:08 pm

their website sucks and that is putting mildly.
anyway, mo greene won the 100 in 9.94 (AL), kelli white the women's 100 in 10.79 w: 2.3 with Felix well back. guevara won the women's 400 in 49.63, second was miles back, calvin harrison won the men;s in 45 flat. lunn outkicked krummenaker in the men's 1500 and jacobs outkicked hamilton in the women's 1500. allen johnson won the men's hurdles in 13.2 slightly wind aided and mckelvy the women's hurdles in 12.58 (windy also). dragila won the vault in 14-9 only and toth the shot in 71-2. espn did not do a bad job broadcasting the meet plus it was live.

Postby bubba » Sun Jun 01, 2003 4:17 pm

don't get too down on Home Depot. Would you rather have them sponsoring a meet or not?
bubba

Postby blacklily » Sun Jun 01, 2003 4:17 pm

>thanks for the results. that's quite a
>surprisingly slow result for Felix and makes me
>wonder if the media has put a monkey on her back
>by calling her "the future of sprinting, now"
>blah blah blah. Give the girl a break, she's 17.
>Besides, she's going to discover soon enough,
>hopefully sooner than later, that she is a born
>200/400 sprinter. Too many great 400 talents
>waste their time in the 100 (Raelene Boyle would
>have been incredible at 1 lap, likewise Gwen
>Torrence and Evelyn Ashford), because the 100 is
>way overrated.

You're late. On several occasions, Felix has told the media that she eventually plans to move up to the 400. She was doing this race mostly as speedwork for USA champs, & to take a crack at Angela Williams' 11.11 high school record. Not that Felix regularly nails her start -- her top end speed is her main strength -- but her start was notably slower than usual. Nevertheless, 11.35w at age 17 is very good! Her personal best is 11.37.

The 100 is not overrated, it's simply where the biggest payday & fame lies for the sprints. If anything is "way overrated," it is America's underwhelming distance runners...save for a few exceptions.
blacklily

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 01, 2003 4:24 pm

i agree she is better at 200 plus she had competed in a high school meet friday night. she is learning about world class competition early.

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 01, 2003 4:26 pm

>don't get too down on Home Depot. Would you
rather have them sponsoring a meet or not?<

The economics of their sponsoring the meet are not going to be affected by what some nut posts on a message board. But maybe someone close to the meet or USATF who reads this stuff will see it as a wake-up call to pay some attention to a part of the product that is important to track fans. If they don't think track fans matter, then screw them--people who think that way shouldn't sponsor track meets.

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:02 pm

"The 100 is not overrated, it's simply where the biggest payday & fame lies for the sprints"

Like I said, and thanks for explaining why, it is way overrated. When people who could be winning Olympic 400 gold and setting 400 records, national or world, are finishing second or fourth or not even making Olympic finals in the 100, then the 100 is overrated. Gwen Torrence ran the opening leg of the 4x400 in the '93 Worlds in Stuttgart in 49.0, off of 100/200 training!! Jearl Miles-Clark has been telling Marion Jones for several years that she could break the world 400 record if she seriously put her mind to it. Instead, Marion will most likely continue the pattern that has gone on for decades, and will end her career having chased FloJo's records, in vain.

Postby vaulter83 » Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:06 pm

I thought the worst part of the telecast was when Dwight Stones was interviewing the guy in charge of the meet and he referred to track as an amateur sport. I would bet thats how much of America still thinks. Especially b/c track only gets coverage every 4 years.
vaulter83

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:53 pm

Felix didn't just have a bad start, she had a HORRIBLE start. This came after a false start was called on the field, plus her meet earlier this weekend, so no worries. She'll learn.

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:52 pm

nobody is getting down on home depot, i am sure we are happy they sponsored a world class meet in the us, we are saying that they could have had somebody help out with their website. instead of saying "check after june 1st for results", they could have had virtually live results like most meet websites do nowdays. i think the meet will get better and better in the years to come. hey it was standing room only in the first year, it could be like pre classic south with proper meet promotion by officials and athletes alike.

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:53 pm

Felix ran 11.12w on Friday night, her advisors were wrong in allowing her to run this afternoon. Dwight compromised himself hyping Dragila's first jump...it was technically horrible and it was obvious she wouldn't go very high. The coverage was way better than the Pre meet. What on earth is going on with the new false start rule? Drummond obviously false started and should have been kicked out. However, by far the biggest farce was the unknown shot guy. How far have we sunk to have to resort to this? If you want somekind of gimmick at least use a halfway smart one...that was pathetic. Glad to see Maurice still has it and White looked awesome.

Home Depot...Thank you, T&F needs all the help it can get in the US. I'll go and buy something there tomorrow!

Postby KEL » Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:57 am

I watched Dragila at the Prefontaine and she was carrying some extra body fat, as well as her time was not too sharp. She took three attempts to clear her second height but than seemed to pull things together and she cleared the next three heights in good form. Had she not won the competition with the 15' 1", I suspect she would have cleared 4 - 5" more. She seems to be running and vaulting with more power but timing is not solid, yet.
I think she changed coaches and I'm sure they are aiming for August.
KEL

Postby tafnut » Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:20 am

I videotape-analyzed her form because Dwight said she was working on something new. Her form was either totally new and unorthodox - she was way under - her top arm was behind her - her top elbow was bent - she got snatched at take-off - or she just had a really bad day. Think what she will do when she gets these things ironed out.
tafnut

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:58 am

I agree with the contention Marion Jones best shot at individual WR is at 400 meters...

at some point, maybe a year like 2006, I'd like to see her dedicate herself to be a 200/400 spinter...

Postby vaulter83 » Mon Jun 02, 2003 1:18 pm

Being way under on her takeoff is not some new technique Dragila is trying out. That is how she usually vaults. For some reason she has not been able to fix even though it would add tons of height on to her jump.
vaulter83

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 02, 2003 1:33 pm

>we are saying that they could have had
somebody help out with their website. instead of
saying "check after june 1st for results", they
could have had virtually live results like most
meet websites do nowdays.<

Hey, guess what? Today is June 2nd which, last time I looked, was after June 1st. The results are still not up on the meet's website.

Postby dl » Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:09 pm

I attended the Home Depot meet and was pleasantly pleased to see a large crowd (10,000+). Not bad for a first time. Of course, the presence of Ana Guevara and Allyson Felix definitely helped.

Anytime a big name sponsor helps create a new meet where our country's best can compete, we should be very happy. Remember several years ago when track fans complained about not having the opportunity to see our own best compete here in the U.S.?

Well, now we have that chance at least 4 weekends in a row: Portland, Pre, Home Depot and Oracle.
dl

Postby jhc68 » Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:38 pm

It wasn't perfect and we can all point to areas that need improvement, but, hey, it was a new major meet with world class performances at a new facility with a reasonable crowd and TV coverage. That cannot be too bad a thing!
jhc68