analysis of the London stadium?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: analysis of the London stadium?

Postby chuku69 » Thu May 10, 2012 11:53 am

I thought the wrap around the stadium was supposed to be completed already.
chuku69

Postby John G » Fri May 11, 2012 4:17 am

I went to Atlanta (appalling transport, long queues, terrible food, ignorant spectators and horrible temporary seating) and Sydney (long journeys to and from stadium and seats a mile from the action). None of that mattered one little bit. I was actually watching the friggin Olympics. With my own eyes. As it happened. I was pinching myself during every session - hardly able to believe my good fortune.

I've got tickets this time again courtesy of TFN Tours. I'm like a kid waiting for the ultimate Christmas and dont care how long the queues are or how hard the seats are or what crap fast food I need to eat or how far away I am from the action. I'll be there and I'll cherish every moment.

My Dad's also going (he got tickets through the BASC). He's just the sort of cynical old git who, in the past would have been writing all the stuff in the previous posts. He would have certainly been telling anyone who'd listen that the tickets were overpriced, the view was going to be crap and he'd rather watch at home without all those annoying people around him who didn't know anything about athletics. However, he's got terminal cancer and that focusses the mind on what's really important. Sadly he won't be around for very much longer but on his death bed we'll be able to talk about the atmosphere when Mo did his victory lap. The fact he saw the finish from 100m away and it was raining won't matter one little bit.
John G

Postby Daisy » Fri May 11, 2012 7:20 am

John G wrote:I've got tickets this time again courtesy of TFN Tours.

Did you have to buy the whole package for them? I was thinking of going that route but didn't need the hotel or the plane.
Daisy

Postby gh » Fri May 11, 2012 10:18 am

analysis from an American friend who was there:

<<Lower deck seating is shallow and far away from the track on the straights, with lousy perspective for athletics. I’m told these are A and AA category tickets [which means that once again, they've had a moron in charge of figuring where the best track views are; the good news is that if you you didn't splurge on the high-end tix you were probably better off].

Most surprising was the number of seats not covered by the stadium roof. In the lower deck, the first 20 of about 24 rows are not under cover. In the upper deck, the first 5-6 rows will also get wet in the rain. Upper deck seats have better sightlines, but are far away as well.

The stadium looked to be about 70% full for the test event. Security lines were a breeze. I walked right through, no waiting. Queues for concessions, though, were extremely long.

On the plus side, access is easy and there is a huge Westfield shopping mall attached to the Stratford tube station, with tons of shopping, restaurants, fast food outlets, coffee shops, etc. The restaurants and food court were open past 10:30 pm on the night of the test event, so I’d assume they’ll have late hours during the Games as well. It’s an easy 10-minute walk from the tube station to the Olympic Park entrance and another 10 minutes to the Olympic stadium (assuming no waiting in security). >>
gh

Postby Conor Dary » Fri May 11, 2012 11:00 am

Amazing analysis. Sounds like a spectator disaster. Did Coe even get involved in the planning? Does he care?

No wonder Ovett moved to Australia.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby gh » Thu May 17, 2012 3:27 pm

the Londonist isn't impressed

http://londonist.com/2012/05/olympic-st ... -guide.php

<<...t looks like anybody in the stadium come Games time will have a vibrant, if potentially chilly, time, especially if they remember to bring their binoculars with them. Maybe that’s why they’re sometimes called “field glasses”?..>>

<<....the sandpit might as well have been on the moon for all we could see of any triple or long jumpers using it. In particular, the distance measuring panels, so useful to the television viewer, completely obscured the seated landings of the competitors....>>
gh

Postby mump boy » Fri May 18, 2012 12:03 am

that review is spot on and the observations about the seating categories are exactly why i didn't even bother trying to buy any tickets. Even now people who'e spent 100's of pounds have no idea where they are seated and from what i've seen many of them are going to be disappointed
mump boy

Postby Daisy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:27 am

What is the redux on the stadium. Did it turn out OK?

The modifications required to make it a multipurpose stadium look pretty good too. If it works.
The drawings, published on the club's official site, show how the Stadium will be able to function as both an athletics arena - with seating withdrawn - and a football ground with the four sides of the lower bowl pushed towards the pitch by automated motors.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/ ... d-publicly
Daisy

Next