About That London US Women's 4x100


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby JumboElliott » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:32 am

Tyson Gay and Wallace Spearmon didn't anchor at Arkansas. Also, last season's anchor for Florida State was Brandon Byram, who was probably the weak link on the chain even thought they had the individual champions in both the 100 and 200 and another finalist in the 100. They still won despite the fact that Kemar Hyman made a poor pass to Makusha.

Jamaica would be best off keeping it from being settled by Campbell trying to chase down Jeter, because that's a tall order.
JumboElliott
 
Posts: 2123
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:46 am

Re: About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:53 am

JumboElliott wrote:Tyson Gay and Wallace Spearmon didn't anchor at Arkansas. Also, last season's anchor for Florida State was Brandon Byram, who was probably the weak link on the chain even thought they had the individual champions in both the 100 and 200 and another finalist in the 100. They still won despite the fact that Kemar Hyman made a poor pass to Makusha.

Jamaica would be best off keeping it from being settled by Campbell trying to chase down Jeter, because that's a tall order.

Good points. Spearmon ran second leg, Gay ran third leg and Makusha ran second leg for Florida State last year. Not much has mentioned about baton handling abilitry on this thread, but many, if not most, of the best coaches consider this just as much as footspeed. If your fastest runner also has the best hands, it's a waste to put him/her on anchor.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10858
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby Speedster » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:37 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
Speedster wrote:
notorious wrote:As long as KS is in her 2008/2009 shape, I don't have a problem with that lineup. VC wouldn't like it however. She knows nothing but anchoring.


Which is why I don't see it happening, when was the last time VCB ran third? From what I can remember she's always run anchor, she did run second 12 years ago in Sydney. I assume she would have anchored in JC and at Arkansas?

Why would you assume this? A lot of college coaches put there studs on second leg. FYI, Walter Dix, Justin Gatlin, Xavier Carter and Richard Thompson never anchored in college.


My assumption was based on a lack of specific knowledge on VCB at Arkansas, not that you couldn't put your best athlete second, it does happen eg: Devers in 96, Cuthbert in 92. I did the research and VCB did run once on the second leg, but it appears she ran last twice in 2004.
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ViewA ... =205359271, but she has anchor the JAM senior team more, all the way back to the Penn Relays in 2000.

I guess my point is the team has run a NR in 2011 with this order and an Olympic year might not be the time to tinker with it, with athletes learning new changes without a lot of practice.
Speedster
 
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: London

Re: About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby gh » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:37 pm

In the '60 Olympics, Germany ran 100 winner (and WR holder) Armin Hary on second leg.
gh
 
Posts: 46321
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:58 pm

Ato Boldon ran second leg for Trinidad's national team.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10858
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby DJG » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:37 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
Speedster wrote:
notorious wrote:As long as KS is in her 2008/2009 shape, I don't have a problem with that lineup. VC wouldn't like it however. She knows nothing but anchoring.


Which is why I don't see it happening, when was the last time VCB ran third? From what I can remember she's always run anchor, she did run second 12 years ago in Sydney. I assume she would have anchored in JC and at Arkansas?

Why would you assume this? A lot of college coaches put there studs on second leg. FYI, Walter Dix, Justin Gatlin, Xavier Carter and Richard Thompson never anchored in college.

Speedster wrote:I would love to see Sanya on the US 4x100 team, off a fly she's probably one of the fastest in the US, but she would take Felix backstraight and I don't see that happening. Its first and third up from grabs in the US team at the moment.


If Allyson doesn't abandon the two-point stance that she used in Daegu, I would take her off the team. She looked like she was running an 800, and as a result, gave up a lot of ground to Kerron Stewart in the first 20-30 meters.


Hope you are sitting down JC, I fear I am about to shock you again.
A two-point stance is fine with me - better sight lines to the go-mark.
High Schools allowed several marks, half-tennis balls with some height and depth in some cases.
Colleges allowed two tape marks.
But the IAAF allows only one tape mark which is not easy to see with your head down
twisting sideways or looking through your legs as some do.
I'll take a slight loss in acceleration (very slight as it is) in exchange for good line-of-sight sight
and leaving on time. Any day or night (lighting) and twice on Sundays.
[and incoming runners will see you better and not run into you!!! Just had to throw that in]
DJG
 
Posts: 559
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:33 am

Re: About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:54 pm

DJG wrote:Hope you are sitting down JC, I fear I am about to shock you again.
A two-point stance is fine with me - better sight lines to the go-mark.
High Schools allowed several marks, half-tennis balls with some height and depth in some cases.
Colleges allowed two tape marks.
But the IAAF allows only one tape mark which is not easy to see with your head down
twisting sideways or looking through your legs as some do.
I'll take a slight loss in acceleration (very slight as it is) in exchange for good line-of-sight sight
and leaving on time. Any day or night (lighting) and twice on Sundays.
[and incoming runners will see you better and not run into you!!! Just had to throw that in]

You make a good point about less depth perception from the three-point stance. If an athlete is having trouble seeing from the three-point stance in practice, I guess the two-point stance should be used, but make no mistake, the two-point stance is slower. By the way, Walter Dix used black tape at the world championships. Have you ever seen anyone else use black tape before?
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10858
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby lonewolf » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:07 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:[. Have you ever seen anyone else use black tape before?

We sometimes offer LJers choice of colored tape for runway markers..black, red, blue, gray, green, pink, yellow and white..inventory varies...it is not athletic tape..it is slicker, stickier and more durable.. dunno where it comes from.. just appears in the equipment box
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8814
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby DJG » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:33 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
DJG wrote:Hope you are sitting down JC, I fear I am about to shock you again.
A two-point stance is fine with me - better sight lines to the go-mark.
High Schools allowed several marks, half-tennis balls with some height and depth in some cases.
Colleges allowed two tape marks.
But the IAAF allows only one tape mark which is not easy to see with your head down
twisting sideways or looking through your legs as some do.
I'll take a slight loss in acceleration (very slight as it is) in exchange for good line-of-sight sight
and leaving on time. Any day or night (lighting) and twice on Sundays.
[and incoming runners will see you better and not run into you!!! Just had to throw that in]

You make a good point about less depth perception from the three-point stance. If an athlete is having trouble seeing from the three-point stance in practice, I guess the two-point stance should be used, but make no mistake, the two-point stance is slower. By the way, Walter Dix used black tape at the world championships. Have you ever seen anyone else use black tape before?


Quick response...the lenghth and width (38cmx5cm???) is much smaller than what the NCAA allows for marks, the color is not specified as I recall but it should be of a different color
from the other track markings. Will have to double check unless someone else can answer your question. WIll be at Princeton this week, Penn Relays next.
{2-pt slightly slower, yes...but the mark is adjusted (back) to compensate.}
DJG
 
Posts: 559
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:33 am

Re: About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby DJG » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:35 am

And USATF should give eye-exams to all the members of the relay pool. :D
DJG
 
Posts: 559
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:33 am

Re: About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby jjk4ever » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:30 am

DJG wrote:And USATF should give eye-exams to all the members of the relay pool. :D


This is funny but you might be on to something! Just cause your body is in world class shape doesnt necessarily mean your eyesight is 20/20. Lots of examples in sports of people reaching the professional ranks who benefited by Laskik or contacts etc.
jjk4ever
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:04 am

Re: About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby DJG » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:15 am

jjk4ever wrote:
DJG wrote:And USATF should give eye-exams to all the members of the relay pool. :D


This is funny but you might be on to something! Just cause your body is in world class shape doesnt necessarily mean your eyesight is 20/20. Lots of examples in sports of people reaching the professional ranks who benefited by Laskik or contacts etc.


And the athlete is not likely to say "hey coach, I can't see that mark like I used to."

Everything about the US 4x1 relays is funny, in one way or another. You just have to look at
it the right way.
DJG
 
Posts: 559
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:33 am

Re: About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby Megas15 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:01 pm

Who ...logically gets pregnant in an Olympic year...after a great breakthru/comeback year?
Megas15
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:43 am
Location: The Great North East

Re: About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby notorious » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:28 pm

Megas15 wrote:Who ...logically gets pregnant in an Olympic year...after a great breakthru/comeback year?


In her interview, she said she was "surprised" when she found out she was pregnant so obviously, it wasn't "planned".

We are still happy for her however and us trackfans wish her the best.
notorious
 
Posts: 2011
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:34 pm

Re: About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:03 am

notorious wrote:
Megas15 wrote:Who ...logically gets pregnant in an Olympic year...after a great breakthru/comeback year?


In her interview, she said she was "surprised" when she found out she was pregnant so obviously, it wasn't "planned".

We are still happy for her however and us trackfans wish her the best.

Who's pregnant?
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10858
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby jjk4ever » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:19 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
notorious wrote:
Megas15 wrote:Who ...logically gets pregnant in an Olympic year...after a great breakthru/comeback year?


In her interview, she said she was "surprised" when she found out she was pregnant so obviously, it wasn't "planned".

We are still happy for her however and us trackfans wish her the best.

Who's pregnant?



Marshavet Hooker (Myers??--thought I heard she got a divorce? :? :? :?
jjk4ever
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:04 am

Re: About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby beebee » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:59 am

depth boys and girls...depth. Mrs. Meyers out for the season, in steps Ms. Madison. Saturday's Penn Relays was proof...it was cold and nasty, two of the lady's hand offs were horrible and yet they destroyed the Jamaicans and ran the world's fastest time 42.19.

The U.S. Women's 4x100 will break the world record this year.
beebee
 
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:30 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby t_monk » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:02 am

beebee wrote:depth boys and girls...depth. Mrs. Meyers out for the season, in steps Ms. Madison. Saturday's Penn Relays was proof...it was cold and nasty, two of the lady's hand offs were horrible and yet they destroyed the Jamaicans and ran the world's fastest time 42.19.

The U.S. Women's 4x100 will break the world record this year.


That's a lie....
t_monk
 
Posts: 4329
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:03 pm
Location: New Haven, CT + Kgn, JA

Re: About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby ATK » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:08 am

beebee wrote:depth boys and girls...depth. Mrs. Meyers out for the season, in steps Ms. Madison. Saturday's Penn Relays was proof...it was cold and nasty, two of the lady's hand offs were horrible and yet they destroyed the Jamaicans and ran the world's fastest time 42.19.

The U.S. Women's 4x100 will break the world record this year.


Only 1 hand off was messy. It was chilly and sightly windy not nasty.
But yes there is tons of depth, and they are capable of getting close to the WR.
ATK
 
Posts: 3804
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby t_monk » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:23 am

ATK wrote:
beebee wrote:depth boys and girls...depth. Mrs. Meyers out for the season, in steps Ms. Madison. Saturday's Penn Relays was proof...it was cold and nasty, two of the lady's hand offs were horrible and yet they destroyed the Jamaicans and ran the world's fastest time 42.19.

The U.S. Women's 4x100 will break the world record this year.


Only 1 hand off was messy. It was chilly and sightly windy not nasty.
But yes there is tons of depth, and they are capable of getting close to the WR.


Now this I can agree with. And I can further postulate that that one 'bad' handoff would be seem dream like in perfection for the Jamaicans on Saturday.

I don't think that third leg is particularly plugged up btw... The first, second and anchor legs should be though.
t_monk
 
Posts: 4329
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:03 pm
Location: New Haven, CT + Kgn, JA

Re: About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby guru » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:26 am

beebee wrote: Mrs. Meyers out for the season


Said already, but not Mrs Myers, and hasnt been for almost a year

The U.S. Women's 4x100 will break the world record this year.



With Hooker, and clean through the handoffs, I'd have bet on it, especially with Madison now leading off. But of course Bianca Knight is no Marshevet Hooker.
guru
 
Posts: 10266
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Strava, racking KOMs https://tinyurl.com/qf2ntch

Re: About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby guru » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:29 am

t_monk wrote:I don't think that third leg is particularly plugged up btw...



Would love to see Richards-Ross put up a legal 10.8, and take some scalps in the process. Then the discussion gets real.
guru
 
Posts: 10266
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Strava, racking KOMs https://tinyurl.com/qf2ntch

Re: About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby preston » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:30 am

beebee wrote:The U.S. Women's 4x100 will break the world record this year.

They may just break the record this year but there is absolutely nothing that was being exhibited at Penn that might indicate that. The USA has had "faster" teams than you saw on Saturday who weren't able to break that WR. In fact, that WR, is one of the most resilient for a reason. It's hard!

2008 the USA ran 42.57 in Philly and 42.40 and 42.49 in preparation for Beijing. 2009 the USA ran 42.40 in Philly and ran 41.58 in Berlin - .21 off of the WR. 2011 USA ran 42.28 and ran 41.56 in Daegu. And here because the USA runs 42.19 at Penn we're supposed to believe the WR will fall? How will this team be better than previous teams USA teams over the last 4 years? Better than the teams of the 80's and '90s?

Relays are about teamwork! And, the USA has been using basically the same women over the last 4 years on the relay. Add in the fact that this is an Olympic year and the USA women HAVE to be more prepared to make their national teams than the Jamaican women do. But, before I begin jumping up and down about a 42.19 I think of the 42.29 in 2009 by the Bahamas where the athletes and there SB's far underclassed the result that "better" teams from USA and Jamaica had failed to achieve in other years (33-year old 10.97, a 37-year old 10.99, a 19-year old 11.38 and a 400m runner who had a PB of 11.58).

42.19 is a great time, but it's not much better than the 42.40 in 2009 or the 42.28 last year. It tells us NOTHING about how much better these athletes will be in London, or if they will be better at all. Why? Because each year the USA runs some of the fastest times of the year in Philly.

They might break the record this year but I wouldn't be at all surprised if neither the USA or Jamaica does.
preston
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:28 am

preston wrote:But, before I begin jumping up and down about a 42.19 I think of the 42.29 in 2009 by the Bahamas where the athletes and there SB's far underclassed the result that "better" teams from USA and Jamaica had failed to achieve in other years (33-year old 10.97, a 37-year old 10.99, a 19-year old 11.38 and a 400m runner who had a PB of 11.58).

Even more impressive in 2009 was the Texas A&M women who ran 42.36 with 11.12-11.13-11.50-11.60 leg speed.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10858
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby Speedster » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:39 am

guru wrote:Would love to see Richards-Ross put up a legal 10.8, and take some scalps in the process. Then the discussion gets real.


Same here but would that put her third as Felix and Jeter probably have their legs sewn up at this stage.
Speedster
 
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: London

Re: About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby Gabriella » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:52 am

jazzcyclist wrote:Even more impressive in 2009 was the Texas A&M women who ran 42.36 with 11.12-11.13-11.50-11.60 leg speed.


Similar to the German team in 2001, their season bests were average but they won World gold in 42.32 due to some great exchanges, especially from Paschke to Gabi Rockmeier.

Melanie Paschke 11.23
Gabi Rockmeier 11.17
Birgit Rockmeier 11.44
Marion Wagner 11.33
Gabriella
 
Posts: 1682
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:59 am

Re: About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:07 pm

Speedster wrote:
guru wrote:Would love to see Richards-Ross put up a legal 10.8, and take some scalps in the process. Then the discussion gets real.


Same here but would that put her third as Felix and Jeter probably have their legs sewn up at this stage.


Third leg is probably where she belongs, because she is a curve runner (400/200).
26mi235
 
Posts: 16318
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby TrackDaddy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:35 pm

Speedster wrote:
guru wrote:Would love to see Richards-Ross put up a legal 10.8, and take some scalps in the process. Then the discussion gets real.


Same here but would that put her third as Felix and Jeter probably have their legs sewn up at this stage.


Obviously I would love to see it too and have no doubt she can run it.

But politics may hamper her from getting due consideration no matter how fast she runs. :?
TrackDaddy
 
Posts: 4785
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:06 pm
Location: The Command Post

Re: About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby ATK » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:43 pm

TrackDaddy wrote:
Speedster wrote:
guru wrote:Would love to see Richards-Ross put up a legal 10.8, and take some scalps in the process. Then the discussion gets real.


Same here but would that put her third as Felix and Jeter probably have their legs sewn up at this stage.


Obviously I would love to see it too and have no doubt she can run it.

But politics may hamper her from getting due consideration no matter how fast she runs. :?

I doubt politics would keep her out, opportunity to prove her ability in time might.
ATK
 
Posts: 3804
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:07 pm

TrackDaddy wrote:
Speedster wrote:
guru wrote:Would love to see Richards-Ross put up a legal 10.8, and take some scalps in the process. Then the discussion gets real.


Same here but would that put her third as Felix and Jeter probably have their legs sewn up at this stage.


Obviously I would love to see it too and have no doubt she can run it.

But politics may hamper her from getting due consideration no matter how fast she runs. :?

I think if she made the team in the 200, she would likely given serious 4x100 consideration. She still wouldn't have to run the 200 in London, but at least it would put the ball in the Jon Drummond's court.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10858
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby guru » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:12 pm

As I've noted elsewhere, only two US women(aside from Jeter) have broken 10.90, all-conditions, since 2010. One of them is pregnant, the other is SRR.

That being said, I have no idea if Richards-Ross even wants to be considered for the 4x1 in London. I suspect, though, she would happily accept the assignment if asked.
guru
 
Posts: 10266
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Strava, racking KOMs https://tinyurl.com/qf2ntch

Re: About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby TrackDaddy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:52 pm

I can't speak to her wishes for London. I also don't believe her 100 at TR was any type of audition for a 4x1 spot. However, it would be irresponsible to ignore the results.

I do know she's been interested in the past at a time when the field seemed to be much more crowded. Things also appeared more political within the US camp at that time (nike/adidas, relays, coaching, etc,). I'm sure Nike would love to see it.

Sanya and Felix on both relays helping the US to victory in both! The world don't want to see it because I've seen Sanya roll into a full sprint from a running start on a 4x1 :shock:

Throw her 100m out the window and feel the breeze.
TrackDaddy
 
Posts: 4785
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:06 pm
Location: The Command Post

Re: About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby DJG » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:13 pm

The US women's 4x1 for London is not yet ready to be set in stone.
Many other potential candidates are still out there - Anderson, Lee, L. Williams and a handful
of collegiate sprinters.

I don't see SRR on the 4x1. Her remarks after Penn about winning 2 Gold medals in London
seem to indicate that her goal is the open 400 and the 4x4.

I love Felix, but if her decision is to double in the 400/200, then I would like to see someone else on the second leg, someone committed to running both the prelim and the final.
(and the two practice meets leading up to London).
Until the OlyTrials are concluded and the relay pools are named, no one is locked in the 4x1.

One thing is a lock and that is the US will use two substitutes in the prelims and will most likely have three new exchanges in the final. And one of those X-Ch will probably be for the first time in a competition.
DJG
 
Posts: 559
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:33 am

Re: About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:43 pm

DJG wrote:One thing is a lock and that is the US will use two substitutes in the prelims and will most likely have three new exchanges in the final. And one of those X-Ch will probably be for the first time in a competition.

Unfortunately, I think you're right. I wish USATF would adopt the USA Basketball blueprint which is to pick a coach whose credentials are beyond reproach and give him total autonomy. I believe the reason why Drummond got the job is because none of the folks on the top of the list would accept the job with so many strings attached.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10858
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby beebee » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:13 pm

preston wrote:
beebee wrote:The U.S. Women's 4x100 will break the world record this year.

They may just break the record this year but there is absolutely nothing that was being exhibited at Penn that might indicate that. The USA has had "faster" teams than you saw on Saturday who weren't able to break that WR. In fact, that WR, is one of the most resilient for a reason. It's hard!

2008 the USA ran 42.57 in Philly and 42.40 and 42.49 in preparation for Beijing. 2009 the USA ran 42.40 in Philly and ran 41.58 in Berlin - .21 off of the WR. 2011 USA ran 42.28 and ran 41.56 in Daegu. And here because the USA runs 42.19 at Penn we're supposed to believe the WR will fall? How will this team be better than previous teams USA teams over the last 4 years? Better than the teams of the 80's and '90s?

Relays are about teamwork! And, the USA has been using basically the same women over the last 4 years on the relay. Add in the fact that this is an Olympic year and the USA women HAVE to be more prepared to make their national teams than the Jamaican women do. But, before I begin jumping up and down about a 42.19 I think of the 42.29 in 2009 by the Bahamas where the athletes and there SB's far underclassed the result that "better" teams from USA and Jamaica had failed to achieve in other years (33-year old 10.97, a 37-year old 10.99, a 19-year old 11.38 and a 400m runner who had a PB of 11.58).

42.19 is a great time, but it's not much better than the 42.40 in 2009 or the 42.28 last year. It tells us NOTHING about how much better these athletes will be in London, or if they will be better at all. Why? Because each year the USA runs some of the fastest times of the year in Philly.

They might break the record this year but I wouldn't be at all surprised if neither the USA or Jamaica does.

"Nothing to indicate"? How about the margin of victory this early in the season against the world's second best team on a cold day with a relative nubie leading off? Btw mr. condescension, the reason that woman's 4x100 wr is so "hard" is because the then East German girls(?) were doped like race horses. You believe whatever you wish.
beebee
 
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:30 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby t_monk » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:25 pm

beebee wrote:
preston wrote:
beebee wrote:The U.S. Women's 4x100 will break the world record this year.

They may just break the record this year but there is absolutely nothing that was being exhibited at Penn that might indicate that. The USA has had "faster" teams than you saw on Saturday who weren't able to break that WR. In fact, that WR, is one of the most resilient for a reason. It's hard!

2008 the USA ran 42.57 in Philly and 42.40 and 42.49 in preparation for Beijing. 2009 the USA ran 42.40 in Philly and ran 41.58 in Berlin - .21 off of the WR. 2011 USA ran 42.28 and ran 41.56 in Daegu. And here because the USA runs 42.19 at Penn we're supposed to believe the WR will fall? How will this team be better than previous teams USA teams over the last 4 years? Better than the teams of the 80's and '90s?

Relays are about teamwork! And, the USA has been using basically the same women over the last 4 years on the relay. Add in the fact that this is an Olympic year and the USA women HAVE to be more prepared to make their national teams than the Jamaican women do. But, before I begin jumping up and down about a 42.19 I think of the 42.29 in 2009 by the Bahamas where the athletes and there SB's far underclassed the result that "better" teams from USA and Jamaica had failed to achieve in other years (33-year old 10.97, a 37-year old 10.99, a 19-year old 11.38 and a 400m runner who had a PB of 11.58).

42.19 is a great time, but it's not much better than the 42.40 in 2009 or the 42.28 last year. It tells us NOTHING about how much better these athletes will be in London, or if they will be better at all. Why? Because each year the USA runs some of the fastest times of the year in Philly.

They might break the record this year but I wouldn't be at all surprised if neither the USA or Jamaica does.

"Nothing to indicate"? How about the margin of victory this early in the season against the world's second best team on a cold day with a relative nubie leading off? Btw mr. condescension, the reason that woman's 4x100 wr is so "hard" is because the then East German girls(?) were doped like race horses. You believe whatever you wish.

So by your comment it would then mean that if the US team breaks the record it's because they are doped up like race horses too right?
t_monk
 
Posts: 4329
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:03 pm
Location: New Haven, CT + Kgn, JA

Re: About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby Gabriella » Tue May 01, 2012 12:47 am

beebee wrote: "Nothing to indicate"? How about the margin of victory this early in the season against the world's second best team on a cold day with a relative nubie leading off? Btw mr. condescension, the reason that woman's 4x100 wr is so "hard" is because the then East German girls(?) were doped like race horses. You believe whatever you wish.


beebee, you need to be careful what you write; other posters have been banned for far less.

The WR is nothing to do with being doped; it has all to do with practice. Only Gohr and Gladish-Moller were sub 11 women that season; Gohr 10.86 with a +2.0 and 10.92 with a +1.2 and Gladisch-Moller 10.99. Sabine Gunther had set her PB that year but it was just 11.19.

We've been over this many times before, but the GDR women practised exchanges everyday. In a 1997 interview Auerswald said of her and Gohr "baton exchanges were part of our every day training; we could do them in our sleep". It is this, and not steroids, that made the WR. Many, many teams have had 4 faster women in a relay but none have put in the practice like the GDR girls did.

They also had the 'luxury' of selecting who they wanted, so with a far smaller pool of women than the US, they selected a small core and they were sent on relay training camps throughout the year.
But they also followed a strict technical model that the teams today just do not do:
-the 2nd leg was reserved for their 200m runners, or those stronger over 120m - Koch, Drechsler, Gunther (and Krabbe when the wall came down)
- They all started from a sprint start, not standing start
- They took on average 12-13 steps before they exchanged the baton. Most teams today do around 8 steps
- They did the upward exchange rather than downward/placing in the palm exchange

Until the US and Jamaican teams do something similar they will find it very difficult to break the WR.
Gabriella
 
Posts: 1682
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:59 am

Re: About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby ATK » Tue May 01, 2012 5:41 am

DJG wrote:Until the OlyTrials are concluded and the relay pools are named, no one is locked in the 4x1.


I would bet that if Jeter somehow didn't make the US team, she would still be anchor on the relay.
ATK
 
Posts: 3804
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby DJG » Tue May 01, 2012 6:13 am

ATK wrote:
DJG wrote:Until the OlyTrials are concluded and the relay pools are named, no one is locked in the 4x1.


I would bet that if Jeter somehow didn't make the US team, she would still be anchor on the relay.


If Jeter is not in the top four in the 100 or 200 (And this goes for Tyson Gay as well), she will not be anchoring the 4x1. I realize that USATF has trouble following their own protocols and procedures, especially when the 4x1 is involved, but this would be most unlikely.

I will take that bet, if Jeter fails to make the team.
DJG
 
Posts: 559
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:33 am

Re: About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby preston » Tue May 01, 2012 6:22 am

beebee wrote:"Nothing to indicate"? How about the margin of victory this early in the season against the world's second best team on a cold day with a relative nubie leading off? Btw mr. condescension, the reason that woman's 4x100 wr is so "hard" is because the then East German girls(?) were doped like race horses. You believe whatever you wish.

Condescension isn't necessary, because you obviously see things from a child's point of view, or a hard-headed newbie with little historical context for track and field, Penn Relays or USA v. Jamaica rivalry. I mean who actually talks about "margin of victory" in an April race? :lol: And, who can cite "drugs" when its impossible to know who HAS and who HASN'T taken drugs? Because certainly every team since the GDR was absolute clean of PED's or any other illicit substances, no? :lol: Or maybe you're just not that informed. Maybe you weren't paying attention to previous years when Jamaican's did just enough not to get hurt - which probably would have been their intention on a cold Saturday in April. Or, maybe you weren't paying attention earlier this year when Jamaicans actually pulled out of a meet in Kingston, because...wait for it...it was too cool (google: Gibson Relays, Feb '12).

Penn Relays means nothing to professional Jamaicans; it's "home turf" for the USA and they defend it with a sense of purpose. Nothing wrong with either, imo, and it tells us absolutely NOTHING about what will happen in August. This would be informative if you wanted to learn, but...you'll believe whatever you wish. :wink:
preston
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:09 pm

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AirCanada15, Bing [Bot] and 15 guests