What A Finish: Three within 0.15!

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

What A Finish: Three within 0.15!

Postby Guest » Sat May 31, 2003 5:23 am

Nah, just kidding. Referring to Sara Bei apparently outkicking more highly touted teammates Lauren Fleshman and Alicia Craig in the West Regional 5K. It was just a walkover by the Stanford trio, Bei happening to get there first.

Re: What A Finish: Three within 0.15!

Postby Guest » Sat May 31, 2003 9:48 am

The astounding thing isnt what Stanford does
with the best distance talent, but how horribly
the rest of the region is doing. C'mon! scholarships to hand out and still only a handful of women under 1640? Well coached walk-ons can hit those times. How do these
distance coaches keep their jobs?

Postby gh » Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:02 am

Wow! Talk about unclear on the concept! The race had nothing to do with running fast and everything to do with finishing high. With the first three places all but guaranteed to go to the Stanford trio, no matter what the pace, the other runners knew they were running for 4th and 5th and thus had to be careful not to do anything stupid.

You can bet that most of the runners in the field qualified for the Regional by being part of a train in some set up race like the Stanford Invitational or Mt. SAC. Something that requires no racing skills whatsoever.

When the Stanford runners upped the ante from 80-second pace to 75 in the middle of the race, suddenly the rest of the field was left to fend for itself. Hats off to those who handled it well enough to advance to the Nationals. I'd rather see somebody who ran 16:25 for 4th at Regionals make it to the big show than somebody who ran 16:00 for 10th in a paced race, which is what would have happened in the old days.
gh

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:44 pm

gary
I understand the concept of regional qualifying. I was commenting on the fact that so few runners in the race managed 16:40. across the board these coaches get 5' milers to work with for four years. where are the big progressions?

drew