IAAF Transfer of Allegiance rule(s)


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

IAAF Transfer of Allegiance rule(s)

Postby bushop » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:18 pm

Is this how we want our sport to go?

Rodhe Ruled Out for Indoor Worlds
Posted Monday, March 5, 2012 1:10 PM ET
Dean Campbell, CTVOlympics.ca Staff

"First and foremost Athletics Canada feels terrible for Justin, he's done all the right things and followed all of the appropriate processes since his move to Canada in 2008," said Rob Guy, Athletics Canada CEO. "We've supported him through the whole process and thought the battle was won once he finally received full Canadian Citizenship on November 1, 2011."

Kamloops shot putter Rodhe shut out of World Champs
By Terry Bell, The Province March 6, 2012 6:01 PM
"An American who got his Canadian citizenship on Nov. 1, 2011, the 27-year-old Rodhe was ruled ineligible to compete in Turkey because of a new IAAF rule that requires athletes to be a citizen of a country for two years to be eligible to compete. That means he wouldn’t be eligible to compete for Canada until Oct. 31, 2013, well after the 2012 Olympics in London."

Rodhe went to Kamloops with a one-off 18m PB as a NCAA DIII putter... a mark beaten regularly by U20 athletes. He moves across the continent and busts his hump to get to 20.90m and then this.
bushop
 
Posts: 1866
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: IAAF Transfer of Allegiance rule(s)

Postby Daisy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:43 pm

bushop wrote:Is this how we want our sport to go?


The two that drove me nuts were Kipketer missing the olympics in 96 and then Lagat being forced into a tough decision in 2004. The whole thing appears to be a farce, why is the rule in place?
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: IAAF Transfer of Allegiance rule(s)

Postby Jnathletics » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:12 pm

Daisy wrote:
bushop wrote:Is this how we want our sport to go?


The two that drove me nuts were Kipketer missing the olympics in 96 and then Lagat being forced into a tough decision in 2004. The whole thing appears to be a farce, why is the rule in place?


I disagree, I think it's a good rule. No one should be able to switch nationality in a given year and then rep their new country. Switching nationality should not be about sports.

I believe most here were not happy with Qatar buy Kenyians to improve their Olympic team. And if I'm not mistaken Qatar also bought the entire Bulgarian weight lifting team right before the 2000 Olympics, when their home country couldn't afford to send them to Sydney?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaber_Saeed_Salem

Which is a good reason for these rules.
Jnathletics
 
Posts: 2213
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Cross Country Mudville

Re: IAAF Transfer of Allegiance rule(s)

Postby bushop » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:17 pm

BTW. I searched for a similar thread to no avail. Please let me know if this a repeated topic and I can repost there.
bushop
 
Posts: 1866
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: IAAF Transfer of Allegiance rule(s)

Postby Daisy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:50 pm

Jnathletics wrote:Switching nationality should not be about sports.

I agree, so why were Lagat and Kipketer caught up in this rule?
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: IAAF Transfer of Allegiance rule(s)

Postby Per Andersen » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:25 pm

Daisy wrote:I agree, so why were Lagat and Kipketer caught up in this rule?

Kipketer could not compete in Atlanta because Denmark required 7 years of residence for citizenship. Kipketer was about 5 months shy of that and Denmark was not willing to make an exception.

While I'm at it. In '96 Kipketer was indeed the best 800 runner in the world and he would certainly have been favored in Atlanta. However, Rodal had been close a few times and in Atlanta after heats and semi finals, Rodal ran 1.42.58 in the final.
This was a time that Kipketer, prior to the Games, had only marginally bettered, once, in Nice with his 1.42.51. I think a victory for Kipketer in Atlanta would not necessarily been a slam dunk. This was, of course, the race of Rodal's life.
Per Andersen
 
Posts: 3736
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: IAAF Transfer of Allegiance rule(s)

Postby DentyCracker » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:31 pm

And I say Kip goes 1:41 easy on that very fast track
DentyCracker
 
Posts: 1646
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Jamaica

Re: IAAF Transfer of Allegiance rule(s)

Postby jlt » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:31 pm

DentyCracker wrote:And I say Kip goes 1:41 easy on that very fast track

Agreed. No doubt whatsoever.
jlt
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: IAAF Transfer of Allegiance rule(s)

Postby pakillo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:47 am

International Olympic Committee rule says (if they haven't changed something...) that athletes may not compete in international events aka Ol.Games for a period of three years subsequent to competing in an international event for a different country.
At least that's why Saif Saaeed Shaheen couldn't compete in Athens '04 although he won World title in Paris '03.
pakillo
 
Posts: 689
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:05 pm

Re: IAAF Transfer of Allegiance rule(s)

Postby andyjgt » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:21 am

According to the IAAF website, Ilham Tanui Ozbilen is not eligible to compete for Turkey until 20 June 2013, but he is in the team for Istanbul! Can anyone explain this?

It's a shame Guliyev hasn't had his eligibility brought forward, he is after all 'Turkic' (Azerbaijani is similar to Turkish) unlike the Kenyans/Ethiopians/other ex-Soviets.
andyjgt
 
Posts: 832
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Deepest Polynesia

Re: IAAF Transfer of Allegiance rule(s)

Postby Gabriella » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:36 am

[quote="pakillo"]International Olympic Committee rule says (if they haven't changed something...) that athletes may not compete in international events aka Ol.Games for a period of three years subsequent to competing in an international event for a different country. quote]

If an athlete has a legitimate reason for transferring (marriage..family etc) then I dont see why they should wait so long. Are the IOC trying to ruin the careers of athletes that transfer? 3 yrs is ridiculous, that's a huge time in athletics.
Gabriella
 
Posts: 1677
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:59 am

Re: IAAF Transfer of Allegiance rule(s)

Postby Pego » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:06 am

How hard is it to arrange sham marriage? I feel for athletes like Kipketer or Lagat who changed nationalities for legitimate reasons, but all those that go either to a higher bidder or where they have a better chance to represent or break records are far more numerous. I like the rule.
Pego
 
Posts: 10196
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Re: IAAF Transfer of Allegiance rule(s)

Postby preston » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:40 am

Jnathletics wrote:
Daisy wrote:
bushop wrote:Is this how we want our sport to go?


The two that drove me nuts were Kipketer missing the olympics in 96 and then Lagat being forced into a tough decision in 2004. The whole thing appears to be a farce, why is the rule in place?


I disagree, I think it's a good rule. No one should be able to switch nationality in a given year and then rep their new country. Switching nationality should not be about sports.

I believe most here were not happy with Qatar buy Kenyians to improve their Olympic team.

Here we go again with this board "groupthink" crap! "Most here"? Most here?! Who gives a crap about the insular thinking of "most here"? The decision to change one's citizenship is a personal one and the only body that should have a say in who gets to represent that country is the one that issues the passports! Not the IOC, FIFA, IAAF or the federations!

To even write the nonsense that "switching nationality should not be about sports" is to be naive enough NOT to realize that this is ALL ABOUT POLITICS!!! This is about the artificial medal counts and the jingoism and "power" it emits. And, if it's not about sports then what's the big deal if a Kenyan wins a medal for Qatar? Does that lessen the quality of the race? And, why should desk/lap-top jockeys determine how/when/where an athlete with a truly abysmally incompetent federation should run? Athletes should be able to move as easily to further their careers as one of my favorite posters, Pego, can move to further/enjoy his.

Then we have the issue of a Guliyev and other athletes whose "punishment" for not staying with the country of their birth/choice is LONGER than if they had tested positive or missed multiple tests due to early onset dementia...WTF!!! Is changing citizenship more dangerous to the sport than cheating? Is the argument of "earning a living" more relevant for a drug cheat than someone who just wants MORE OPPORTUNITY? Whatever that opportunity is!! Yet, we have posters here thinking that's fair? F*****' Amazing!

But there is another aspect to this, too! When athletes go to Muslim countries with money then it's the worst thing ever because it upsets the Judao-christian/western civ sport hegemony; but when AMERICAN, or European athletes go compete for Israel (Averbukh competed the year after changing) there is nary a peep, or when Australia's Pole Vault became relevant the only question being asked was whether Grigorieva should model or PV!!! But, the idea that some Africans or Asians with corrosively corrupt and incompetent federations can't have the opportunity to further their careers while the US and the UK and other richer western countries load up on talent for the exact same reason is the worst thing in the world? B*llshit!

The decision to change one's citizenship is personal and none of your damn business and we should be picketing the IOC, FIFA and IAAF to annul their "allegiance" rules! It furthers the montrosity of medal counts and deprives of us of having a real World Championship where all of the best compete. Shame on all of you who think allegiance rules are good for the sport!
preston
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: IAAF Transfer of Allegiance rule(s)

Postby Pego » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:36 am

preston wrote:Athletes should be able to move as easily to further there careers as one of my favorite posters, Pego, can move to further/enjoy his.


Fine, let's be personal on this :D .

1. I waited for the US citizenship 8 years. The only border crossing I could do before the citizenship was to Nogales, which was good, as I could get a liter of Jamaican rum there for $1.25 :wink: , but that was it.

2. Athletes in question can continue to make a living uninterrupted. All meets are open to them. The only thing they would be prohibited from is pretty much a WC/EC/OG.

This rule prevents farce, such as an Italian Olympic hockey team (in the 90's IIRC) that naturalized a bunch of Canadians of some Italian extractions, just for the duration of the Games.
Pego
 
Posts: 10196
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Re: IAAF Transfer of Allegiance rule(s)

Postby bushop » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:38 am

pakillo wrote:International Olympic Committee rule says (if they haven't changed something...) that athletes may not compete in international events aka Ol.Games for a period of three years subsequent to competing in an international event for a different country.
At least that's why Saif Saaeed Shaheen couldn't compete in Athens '04 although he won World title in Paris '03.
It seems as though the rules have recently changed.

Pego wrote:How hard is it to arrange sham marriage? I feel for athletes like Kipketeror Lagat who changed nationalities for legitimate reasons, but all those that go either to a higher bidder or where they have a better chance to represent or break records are far more numerous. I like the rule.
Marriage does not cut it. Justin Rodhe is married to a Canadian-born hammer thrower, Megann (VanderVliet) Rodhe.

Pego wrote:
preston wrote:2. Athletes in question can continue to make a living uninterrupted. All meets are open to them. The only thing they would be prohibited from is pretty much a WC/EC/OG.
Who are these "Athletes in question"?
bushop
 
Posts: 1866
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: IAAF Transfer of Allegiance rule(s)

Postby Pego » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:43 am

bushop wrote:Who are these "Athletes in question"?


I gave the hockey example. There are many that never even visit their "adopted countries," only carry the passport. Sham citizenship, that is all I am saying.
Pego
 
Posts: 10196
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Re: IAAF Transfer of Allegiance rule(s)

Postby Mighty Favog » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:06 am

Hmmm...

Justin Rodhe: American, married Canadian, lives in Kamloops. Nationality switch is on hold.
Clubmate Kibwe Johnson: American, married Canadian, lives in Kamloops. Never attempted to switch nationality.

The IAAF and other international governing bodies want athletes like Rodhe to be like Johnson and maintain their long-standing affiliation. I'm not going to consider why Rodhe wanted to switch allegiances; as likely as not, he "feels" Canadian and wants to represent his adopted country. In his situation I would do the same. But it's hard to ignore the fact that a 20.91m putter is going to make the Canadian team, and is not going to make the US team.
Mighty Favog
 
Posts: 1786
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: IAAF Transfer of Allegiance rule(s)

Postby Daisy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:52 am

Mighty Favog wrote:It's hard to ignore the fact that a 20.91m putter is going to make the Canadian team, and is not going to make the US team.

But I assume this is not a sham marriage?

Per Andersen wrote:
Daisy wrote:I agree, so why were Lagat and Kipketer caught up in this rule?

Kipketer could not compete in Atlanta because Denmark required 7 years of residence for citizenship. Kipketer was about 5 months shy of that and Denmark was not willing to make an exception.

Thanks Per, I didn't know the restriction came from the Danish side. So was he still a Kenyan at the time? What was stopping him from running for Kenya? Would that have jeopardized his naturalization? Or was it the Kenyans blocking that option?
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: IAAF Transfer of Allegiance rule(s)

Postby bushop » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:17 pm

Pego wrote:
bushop wrote:Who are these "Athletes in question"?
I gave the hockey example. There are many that never even visit their "adopted countries," only carry the passport. Sham citizenship, that is all I am saying.
Agreed.

Mighty Favog wrote:Hmmm...
Justin Rodhe: American, married Canadian, lives in Kamloops. Nationality switch is on hold.
Clubmate Kibwe Johnson: American, married Canadian, lives in Kamloops. Never attempted to switch nationality.

The IAAF and other international governing bodies want athletes like Rodhe to be like Johnson and maintain their long-standing affiliation.
Please define long-standing affiliation (my bold).

Mighty Favog wrote:Hmmm...
I'm not going to consider why Rodhe wanted to switch allegiances; as likely as not, he "feels" Canadian and wants to represent his adopted country. In his situation I would do the same. But it's hard to ignore the fact that a 20.91m putter is going to make the Canadian team, and is not going to make the US team.
The important fact here is that if Rodhe does not move to Canada and become a Canadian citizen and train in the Canadian system he does not put over 17m again... let alone 20.95m.... and so true... 21m is not sniffing a US national team.
Also:
Kibwé Johnson's USA Championship performances...
2003: hammer 16th
2004: discus 8th, hammer 19th
2005: weight 3rd, hammer NM
2006: weight 2nd, hammer 4th
2007: hammer 2nd, Worlds NM
2008: weight 1st, hammer NM
2010: hammer 2nd
2011: hammer 1st
Justin Rodhe's USA Championship performances...
0000: never been there

Daisy wrote:But I assume this is not a sham marriage?
Not by any stretch of the imagination.
Last edited by bushop on Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bushop
 
Posts: 1866
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: IAAF Transfer of Allegiance rule(s)

Postby Jnathletics » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:45 pm

preston wrote:
Jnathletics wrote:
Daisy wrote:
bushop wrote:Is this how we want our sport to go?


The two that drove me nuts were Kipketer missing the olympics in 96 and then Lagat being forced into a tough decision in 2004. The whole thing appears to be a farce, why is the rule in place?


I disagree, I think it's a good rule. No one should be able to switch nationality in a given year and then rep their new country. Switching nationality should not be about sports.

I believe most here were not happy with Qatar buy Kenyians to improve their Olympic team.

Here we go again with this board "groupthink" crap! "Most here"? Most here?! Who gives a crap about the insular thinking of "most here"? The decision to change one's citizenship is a personal one and the only body that should have a say in who gets to represent that country is the one that issues the passports! Not the IOC, FIFA, IAAF or the federations!


Sorry Preston but your little tantrum doesn't have any basis in a constructive conversation. I maybe naive, but at least I can understand why the rule was put into affect.

First off its an attempt to keep a little of the original premise to the Olympics. It's first and foremost a competition to bring countries together to further peaceful competition. limited country's entries, allows more countries to be involved. Creating a wider culture of peaceful competition. There is nothing in the premise of earning a professional living through the Olympics or wc's. I hardly think it possible for a meet held once every 4 yrs or 2, can sustain someone.

Second, the rule is to help those less fortunate countries from having their best athletes purchased from them. Money should not rule the world. And money doesn't make one right.

Third, if athletes are allowed to leave at will. It undermines countries self governing abilty to create rules and inforce them. What is stoping the athlete to go from country to country this year until they find one willing to send them and rules that are to their advantage? Why can't HJ'ers and LJ'ers jump off two feet? In a modern world should it matter on technique or how far or high one can jump under their own power? The rule helps countries keep some order to their federations, which maybe the most important reason.

I feel the rule was necessary based on what happened I'm the late 90's and early 00's. The idea of the Olympics or wc's having free agency is just appalling. If your all about the money just compete on the circuit. But if you have a global appreciation ( something that was help created by the Olympics and wc's) you can fully understand placing eligilbilty requirements to entrance. As far as I read the rule it only affects those who have already competed for a country. So, if you really hate your country, you just need to avoid competing for them. Or like Lagat plan your change accordingly, not because you can't make the team in your country.
Jnathletics
 
Posts: 2213
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Cross Country Mudville

Re: IAAF Transfer of Allegiance rule(s)

Postby Per Andersen » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:34 pm

Daisy wrote:

Thanks Per, I didn't know the restriction came from the Danish side. So was he still a Kenyan at the time? What was stopping him from running for Kenya? Would that have jeopardized his naturalization? Or was it the Kenyans blocking that option?

Kipketer competed for Denmark at the World Championship in Sweden in '95.
TF&N top ranked Kipketer as a Dane in '95.

I checked some Danish sources. It seems both Denmark and Kenya can be blamed for '96.
The Danes were stubborn and insisted on the full 7 years for citizenship. Couldn't give an inch!
Kipketer could still have run for Denmark in Atlanta IF the Kenyans had okayed it. They instead wanted Kipketer to run for Kenya, something Kipketer refused to do.
Per Andersen
 
Posts: 3736
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: IAAF Transfer of Allegiance rule(s)

Postby preston » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:29 am

Jnathletics wrote:Sorry Preston but your little tantrum doesn't have any basis in a constructive conversation. I maybe naive, but at least I can understand why the rule was put into affect.

First off its an attempt to keep a little of the original premise to the Olympics. It's first and foremost a competition to bring countries together to further peaceful competition. limited country's entries, allows more countries to be involved. Creating a wider culture of peaceful competition. There is nothing in the premise of earning a professional living through the Olympics or wc's. I hardly think it possible for a meet held once every 4 yrs or 2, can sustain someone.

Second, the rule is to help those less fortunate countries from having their best athletes purchased from them. Money should not rule the world. And money doesn't make one right.

Third, if athletes are allowed to leave at will. It undermines countries self governing abilty to create rules and inforce them. What is stoping the athlete to go from country to country this year until they find one willing to send them and rules that are to their advantage? Why can't HJ'ers and LJ'ers jump off two feet? In a modern world should it matter on technique or how far or high one can jump under their own power? The rule helps countries keep some order to their federations, which maybe the most important reason.

I feel the rule was necessary based on what happened I'm the late 90's and early 00's. The idea of the Olympics or wc's having free agency is just appalling. If your all about the money just compete on the circuit. But if you have a global appreciation ( something that was help created by the Olympics and wc's) you can fully understand placing eligilbilty requirements to entrance. As far as I read the rule it only affects those who have already competed for a country. So, if you really hate your country, you just need to avoid competing for them. Or like Lagat plan your change accordingly, not because you can't make the team in your country.

So in addition to being naive you also clearly don't understand why the rule was put in place (I suggest you add "Politics of the Olympic Games" by Richard Espy to your reading list). The rule was put into place for politics. Period.

"First off its an attempt to keep a little of the original premise to the Olympics."? Surely, you're joking. deCoubertain has rolled over enough times in his grave to not even recognize the current Olympic movement and it can't be lost on us that it was set up as a POLITICAL BODY from the beginnning.

Countries don't "purchase" athletes, athletes become citizens of other countries. I fully recognize the naturalization process, some of you apparently don't.

Ok, you're getting a bit ridiculous with your 2 foot jump thing and it only lessens an already weak argument...this is about allegiance. That said, athletes SHOULD be allowed to leave at will, and if another country wants to take them that's that country's business. What's crazy, is you preaching a very diluted version of self-determination...as long as the countries do what you would like them to (which is probably no different than mine :lol: ). Should the UN be able to tell countries of the world that there must be a mechanism to allow heads of states be born in another country? That would exclude the United States. Or should it require that heads of state MUST be born in that country? That would exclude Peru. The UN has no business in certain instances and neither should the IOC, IAAF, FIFA, et.al.

For those of us who want a real WC a rule like this is a setback because some countries dont' deserve to compete at the World Champs or the Olympics! Yes, I said it. If your athletes are competing for the first time at the Olympics or World Championships then they don't deserve to take a spot from someone who actually trained to be an Olympian or potential world champ! Call me a snob... Ok, I'll beat you to it, I'm a snob!
preston
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: IAAF Transfer of Allegiance rule(s)

Postby LopenUupunut » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:26 am

andyjgt wrote:According to the IAAF website, Ilham Tanui Ozbilen is not eligible to compete for Turkey until 20 June 2013, but he is in the team for Istanbul! Can anyone explain this?
Both Özbilen and Polat Kemboi Arıkan have been given the green light by IAAF, no idea why though.
LopenUupunut
 
Posts: 2510
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:20 pm
Location: Sleeping in Finland

Re: IAAF Transfer of Allegiance rule(s)

Postby tm71 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:58 pm

i think the original nation can give its permission something kenya refused to do with kipketer and lagat.
tm71
 
Posts: 2297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: IAAF Transfer of Allegiance rule(s)

Postby bushop » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:43 am

The thorny issue of athletes changing nationality
Neil Wilson March 16th 2012
"May I suggest to the IOC that they show their distaste for those who move countries by making it next to impossible.
Those who enjoy dual nationality, such as American Tiffany Porter... should be made to choose which country they represent by their eighteenth birthday. Further change should not be allowed."

This is sickening.

At some point in time, if people in power think like this, our sport will become the biggest joke on the planet. It is already so hard to find a way to train in our sport... to have to do it when things are so much harder than other professional sports is stupid.

Apparently Mr. Wilson had his entire life laid out as a 17-year old.
bushop
 
Posts: 1866
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: IAAF Transfer of Allegiance rule(s)

Postby bushop » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:07 am

Jnathletics wrote:
Daisy wrote:
bushop wrote:Is this how we want our sport to go?
The two that drove me nuts were Kipketer missing the olympics in 96 and then Lagat being forced into a tough decision in 2004.
I disagree, I think it's a good rule. No one should be able to switch nationality in a given year and then rep their new country. Switching nationality should not be about sports.
Real sport is not about nationality... it's about people v. people and seeing what one can get done. We do not give the athlete the option to op out of the World Championships or Olympics and still be able to compete at the highest level.
The Olympics are driven by putting billions of dollars into the IOC... at some point it time it would be nice if people were allowed to focus on training for their sport instead of survival in their sport.
bushop
 
Posts: 1866
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: IAAF Transfer of Allegiance rule(s)

Postby pakillo » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:56 pm

I find it interesting to have countries like Qatar or Bahrain on track and field map but CAN'T
say I like more and more Ethiopians competing for Turkey or Azerbaijan... at the European Championships, then I see I don't really like it. It was never such obvious and massive like it was in Barcelona two years ago...
On the other hand, if Xavier Carter doesn't make the team for London I would suggest a new passport.
pakillo
 
Posts: 689
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:05 pm

Re: IAAF Transfer of Allegiance rule(s)

Postby GDAWG » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:13 pm

So, which sport has more nationality transfers? Football (soccer for us Americans/Canadians) or Track and Field? Many African footballers played on junior national squads of their birth nations (usually Europe) before switching to Africa (usually through parentage)
GDAWG
 
Posts: 785
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:53 pm

Re: IAAF Transfer of Allegiance rule(s)

Postby Fielding Melish » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:16 pm

From Wikipedia:

"In March 2005, [Bernard] Lagat announced that he had become a naturalized citizen of the United States since May 7, 2004, despite competing for Kenya in the 2004 Summer Olympics. Since Kenya does not allow dual citizenship his silver medal in the 1500 m was at stake, but in the end he was allowed to retain it. Because of this switch of nationality, Lagat served a ban from international championship events. For this reason he missed the IAAF World Championships in Helsinki."
Fielding Melish
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: IAAF Transfer of Allegiance rule(s)

Postby bushop » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:43 pm

GDAWG wrote:So, which sport has more nationality transfers? Football (soccer for us Americans/Canadians) or Track & Field? Many African footballers played on junior national squads of their birth nations (usually Europe) before switching to Africa (usually through parentage)

In the same vain... who is the best footballer to not play in the World Cup due to nationality transfer rules?
bushop
 
Posts: 1866
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: IAAF Transfer of Allegiance rule(s)

Postby GDAWG » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:06 pm

bushop wrote:
GDAWG wrote:So, which sport has more nationality transfers? Football (soccer for us Americans/Canadians) or Track & Field? Many African footballers played on junior national squads of their birth nations (usually Europe) before switching to Africa (usually through parentage)

In the same vain... who is the best footballer to not play in the World Cup due to nationality transfer rules?


I have no idea.
GDAWG
 
Posts: 785
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:53 pm

Re: IAAF Transfer of Allegiance rule(s)

Postby Daisy » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:36 pm

George Best never played in a world cup, but that was because his team did not qualify, so not really in the same category. Same with Ryan Giggs.
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: IAAF Transfer of Allegiance rule(s)

Postby 18.99s » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:10 pm

While I agree with the spirit of the rule, the rule itself is too broad and blunt.

Lopez Lomong literally ran away from his original country fearing for his life and became a US citizen barely 1 year before competing in Beijing. It would have been an injustice for him to be left off the Olympic team because of holding US citizenship for less than 2 years.

For athletes who have held their latest citizenship for less than 2 years, it should be sufficient if they had provided 2 years advance notice to the IAAF of their intention to acquire a new citizenship and represent the specified country.

That should be a simple task for those who have established a bona fide connection to the new country; surely Lomong and Lagat and Obikwelu and Kipketer and Rodhe knew of their intentions to represent their adopted country more than 2 years in advance of getting their citizenship papers, and would have been able to provide the 2-year advance notification. That's less likely to be the case for those competing for Bahrain and Qatar if they never lived there before (or after!) acquiring citizenship.
18.99s
 
Posts: 704
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:28 am

Re: IAAF Transfer of Allegiance rule(s)

Postby bambam » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:58 pm

bushop wrote:
pakillo wrote:International Olympic Committee rule says (if they haven't changed something...) that athletes may not compete in international events aka Ol.Games for a period of three years subsequent to competing in an international event for a different country.
At least that's why Saif Saaeed Shaheen couldn't compete in Athens '04 although he won World title in Paris '03.
It seems as though the rules have recently changed.

No the rules haven't changed - the IOC rule is 3 years, but it has an out that says if the original country gives permission to the new country the athlete may compete earlier than that. Basically what that allows is the accepting nation "buys" the athletes by paying off his/her previous country to allow them to compete. A few recent stories about the IOC not being happy with this, quoting Rogge, and a pretty good column from Neil Allen of the Daily Mail on it.
bambam
 
Posts: 3847
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Durham, NC

Re: IAAF Transfer of Allegiance rule(s)

Postby preston » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:42 am

"Allegiance Rules" force countries to create special classes of citizenship and it shouldn't be allowed! In any circumstance! This is the reason the United States has the 14th amendment. Allegiance Rules are sports version of "Dred Scott v. Sandford" - the worst US Supreme court decision in the history of the United States.

This is sport. Who gives a shit that a few extra "other people" get to compete at European championships, pakillo? Are you serious?

One of my favorite posters, Pego, took years to get his citizenship like most of the other naturalized citizens; and the same process that guarantees him all the rights of US citizenship allowed RUPERT MURDOCH to get citizenship in MONTHS!!! Murdoch didn't have to wait! His ability to own certain sectors of US Industry that were off limits the day before he became a citizen became instant (some of which concern NATIONAL SECURITY)! The day you get citizenship within the United States you are entitled to all benefits and protections of any other citizen. You can vote, you can't become the president - that's pretty much it in a nutshell.

I hope Americans and other citizens around the world begin to "Butch Reynolds" their respective Olympic Trials arguing that as a citizen they have a right to compete for their country - because they DON'T HAVE TO BE A CITIZEN TO DIE FOR IT (non-US citizens serve in the US armed forces). And, that not being allowed to be an Olympian runs counter to the rights of citizenship of 90% of the countries on the planet.

F*** the IOC, IAAF, FINA, et.al; allegiance rules are wrong.
preston
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: IAAF Transfer of Allegiance rule(s)

Postby Daisy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:23 am

preston wrote:The day you get citizenship within the United States you are entitled to all benefits and protections of any other citizen. You can vote, you can't become the president - that's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Pego can't be president? Damn, there goes my write-in**.

** If I had a vote ;)
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: IAAF Transfer of Allegiance rule(s)

Postby bushop » Sat May 12, 2012 5:36 pm

Justin Rodhe ruled eligible by IAAF for Olympic Games
May 4, 2012
"Athlétisme Canada is pleased to announce that shot putter Justin Rodhe has been ruled eligible by the IAAF to represent Canada at the Olympic Games."
bushop
 
Posts: 1866
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: IAAF Transfer of Allegiance rule(s)

Postby 26mi235 » Sat May 12, 2012 7:15 pm

:D
26mi235
 
Posts: 16313
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: IAAF Transfer of Allegiance rule(s)

Postby batonless relay » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:04 am

Ramil Guliyev, because he decided to run for Turkey instead of Azerbaijan, hasn't run in any global championships since 2009 and he won't be eligible for Moscow; however, Jackie Areson will be running for Australia even though she ran for the United States as recently as the 2012 Indoor Worlds. http://www.insideathletics.com.au/dista ... -lose-some

Areson has dual citizenship and despite representing USA at the 2012 World Indoors has been fast tracked for Australian representation. At the Paris Diamond League the 25-year-old University of Tennesee graduate ran an A-qualifier and new personal best of 15:12.09.

Areson was ecstatic at her performance and the prospect of representing Australia at the world championships in Moscow.


The rules need to be changed. No more transfer restrictions.
batonless relay
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:40 am

Re: IAAF Transfer of Allegiance rule(s)

Postby Blues » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:30 am

batonless relay wrote:Ramil Guliyev, because he decided to run for Turkey instead of Azerbaijan, hasn't run in any global championships since 2009 and he won't be eligible for Moscow; however, Jackie Areson will be running for Australia even though she ran for the United States as recently as the 2012 Indoor Worlds. http://www.insideathletics.com.au/dista ... -lose-some

Areson has dual citizenship and despite representing USA at the 2012 World Indoors has been fast tracked for Australian representation. At the Paris Diamond League the 25-year-old University of Tennesee graduate ran an A-qualifier and new personal best of 15:12.09.

Areson was ecstatic at her performance and the prospect of representing Australia at the world championships in Moscow.


The rules need to be changed. No more transfer restrictions.


I'm not taking issue with your argument, but what's the reason that Guliyev won't be eligible for Moscow?
Blues
 
Posts: 1088
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:58 am

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 10 guests