Take notice of Schippers-7.18s in WIC /7.14s PB


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Take notice of dafne schippers-13.31s/0.0 100H in NC hea

Postby nianchengyu » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:34 am

Alfter running her 2nd best 100mH,dafne did not finish her final in NC,that is her second fall this year,and her 100mH run last Oly almost fell,too.Considering her speed,her hurdles techniques are a bit awful.
100 meter horden vrouwen finale Time :16:24
Heat:1 Wind : 1.3
1 214 HODDE Rosina 83 HGAT 13.02
2 333 WILLIAMS Suzanne 93 NEAV 13.37
3 532 BROERSEN Nadine 90 SPRN 13.52
4 91 PETERSEN Nancy van 92 AV34 13.67
5 388 KROONENBURG Nicole 89 PHNS 13.67
6 539 MEIJ Femke van der 85 SPRN 13.76
7 573 SPILJARD Amanda 89 UNTS 14.43
252 SCHIPPERS Dafne 92 HLLS DNF
nianchengyu
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Take notice of dafne schippers-13.31s/0.0 100H in NC hea

Postby Daisy » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:01 am

nianchengyu wrote:Considering her speed,her hurdles techniques are a bit awful.

I don't remember her technique but I would have expected her below 13 based on her speed alone.
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Take notice of dafne schippers-13.31s/0.0 100H NC and fe

Postby weia » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:06 am

In the final she fell at hurdle 7 or 8...
weia
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:07 am

Re: Take notice of dafne schippers-13.31s/0.0 100H NC and fe

Postby Daisy » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:26 am

What is her PR for the 100H? I assume she was not full out when she ran 13.31 in the heat.

edit: Wikipedia has her at 13.27 (+0.3) from Tallinn 2011. It seems like a winter of hurdling technique could bring that down a lot. What is her technical flaw?
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Take notice of dafne schippers-13.31s/0.0 100H NC and fe

Postby weia » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:44 am

She is quite tall and very fast, so she has difficulties in fitting those three steps in between the hurdles. In my opinion she is going to high over the hurdles, leaving even less space for three steps, which would need a very high frequency. She ran in second position but just very short before the third athlete, at hurdle 7 something happened, but I cannot see what, in the high speed video I've made today. And then at hurdle 8 everything goes wrong and her knee touches the hurdle hard.
weia
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:07 am

Re: Take notice of dafne schippers-13.31s/0.0 100H NC and fe

Postby batonless relay » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:44 am

Based upon many of the comments attributed to Schippers or her coach in this thread, it's unlikely that she will run the 100m in Moscow, but I can still hope - even though the schedule makes it impossible to do both.

100m Heats SUNDAY 11 AUGUST 2013 11:55
100m Semi-Final MONDAY 12 AUGUST 2013 19:35
100m Final MONDAY 12 AUGUST 2013 21:50

Heptathlon:
100 Metres Hurdles MONDAY 12 AUGUST 2013 09:30
High Jump MONDAY 12 AUGUST 2013 10:35
Shot Put MONDAY 12 AUGUST 2013 18:45
200 Metres MONDAY 12 AUGUST 2013 20:35
Long Jump TUESDAY 13 AUGUST 2013 09:30
Javelin Throw TUESDAY 13 AUGUST 2013 11:10
Javelin Throw TUESDAY 13 AUGUST 2013 12:25
800 Metres TUESDAY 13 AUGUST 2013 20:10
batonless relay
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:40 am

Re: Take notice of dafne schippers-13.31s/0.0 100H NC and fe

Postby nianchengyu » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:12 am

batonless relay wrote:Based upon many of the comments attributed to Schippers or her coach in this thread, it's unlikely that she will run the 100m in Moscow, but I can still hope - even though the schedule makes it impossible to do both.

100m Heats SUNDAY 11 AUGUST 2013 11:55
100m Semi-Final MONDAY 12 AUGUST 2013 19:35
100m Final MONDAY 12 AUGUST 2013 21:50

Heptathlon:
100 Metres Hurdles MONDAY 12 AUGUST 2013 09:30
High Jump MONDAY 12 AUGUST 2013 10:35
Shot Put MONDAY 12 AUGUST 2013 18:45
200 Metres MONDAY 12 AUGUST 2013 20:35
Long Jump TUESDAY 13 AUGUST 2013 09:30
Javelin Throw TUESDAY 13 AUGUST 2013 11:10
Javelin Throw TUESDAY 13 AUGUST 2013 12:25
800 Metres TUESDAY 13 AUGUST 2013 20:10

She won't join in 100m,I think she will participate in heptathlon and 200m which is unlikely to run considering her knee problems and 4 by 100m later.But she did not join in any throwing events outdoors,her SP did not match her strong and tall built and her JV only stood at 37.72m.
nianchengyu
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Take notice of dafne schippers-13.31s/0.0 100H NC and fe

Postby weia » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:37 am

She is on the list for the 100 in London Dimond League.

Some quotes from an interview with Dafne in a Dutch athletics magazine: "It has no sense to ask me about heptathlon or sprints. After 2014 I'll have a look at it with my trainer Bart, but the multi events are just very nice to do."

"Sprinting is quite simple you know. With small changes you can see progression." That's about this years sprints.
weia
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:07 am

Re: Take notice of dafne schippers-13.31s/0.0 100H NC and fe

Postby nianchengyu » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:10 am

weia wrote:She is on the list for the 100 in London Dimond League.

Some quotes from an interview with Dafne in a Dutch athletics magazine: "It has no sense to ask me about heptathlon or sprints. After 2014 I'll have a look at it with my trainer Bart, but the multi events are just very nice to do."

"Sprinting is quite simple you know. With small changes you can see progression." That's about this years sprints.

Just now I look at 100m startlist after communication with Delano,which is a bit surprised for me,I think joining in 200m is better,but in such strong 100m competions will also be a big choice.BTW,she did not take any throwing individual events since January this year.Neverthless, :D thanks a lot for providing such great information about her future plan.
nianchengyu
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Take notice of dafne schippers-join in London DL 100m

Postby ZELLGADISS » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:20 am

I told it.
Dafne should to run only sprint soon.
She is a prodigy.
She could to get easily sub11 and perhaps 10.8 in few years 8-)
And it means some medals probably :D
ZELLGADISS
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:13 am

Re: Take notice of dafne schippers-join in London DL 100m

Postby eldanielfire » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:57 am

ZELLGADISS wrote:I told it.
Dafne should to run only sprint soon.
She is a prodigy.
She could to get easily sub11 and perhaps 10.8 in few years 8-)
And it means some medals probably :D



This might be true, but it's a tough call given multiple Jamaicans and Americans have hit 10.7 at some point. She is also an excellent hepatathlete who can medal there as well, at this point I only think her Javelin is a serious weakness.
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: Take notice of dafne schippers-join in London DL 100m

Postby batonless relay » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:14 am

Multiple Jamaicans? Doubtful. The sport is about what you're able to do now and that would exclude all but Fraser-Pryce; every other Jamaican woman is a big wish at this point. Also, Jeter's current form notwithstanding, there are no other Americans who are sub-10.97 threats either, imo. Okagbare and Ahoure have to be in the medal group along with maybe Baptiste. That's it, off the top of my head.

As for her heptathlon prospects...she MAY win a medal one day, but I don't think it will be this year in Moscow, if ever. In almost all of the events where you would expect her speed to help her...she's only average (hair above average): hurdles, Long Jump, High Jump.

Would she be a bigger star in Europe if she became a consistent 10.9/10.8 runner or if she were consistent over 6700 points?
batonless relay
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:40 am

Re: Take notice of dafne schippers-join in London DL 100m

Postby eldanielfire » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:45 am

batonless relay wrote:Multiple Jamaicans? Doubtful. The sport is about what you're able to do now and that would exclude all but Fraser-Pryce; every other Jamaican woman is a big wish at this point. Also, Jeter's current form notwithstanding, there are no other Americans who are sub-10.97 threats either, imo. Okagbare and Ahoure have to be in the medal group along with maybe Baptiste. That's it, off the top of my head.


Then right now Schippers isn't looking like breaking sub-11 let alone 10.80s.


As for her heptathlon prospects...she MAY win a medal one day, but I don't think it will be this year in Moscow, if ever. In almost all of the events where you would expect her speed to help her...she's only average (hair above average): hurdles, Long Jump, High Jump.


Didn't she have a great long jump this year in the European U23? She's gone from average to possibly among the best long jumpers in the Heptathlon. There is no reason why her hurdles won't improve, her is faster than Jessica Ennis' at the same age. That is not to say she won't get better, but she will get good. That just leaves her high jump and none of the main contenders or up and coming rivals are that much better than her. Ennis is happy with 1.86 these days and Schippers is on 1.80 and likely to improve.


Would she be a bigger star in Europe if she became a consistent 10.9/10.8 runner or if she were consistent over 6700 points?


If she isn't a medal prospect in the Moscow Heptathlon then she is far further back in the 100m. Winning medals makes you a star, not valiant last places in a global final or going out in a semi that has an American and a Jamaican in it.
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: Take notice of dafne schippers-join in London DL 100m

Postby batonless relay » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:06 am

I never said Schippers was poised to break 11, though if she did it wouldn't surprise me. I was only saying that the Jamaican women are not as good as they were and after you factored for SAFP and Jeter the competition looked almost identical. 10.9-high/11.0x range.

I also agree that she is "better" in the heptathlon, and she should be, the 100m is her part-time event. That said, there really is no indication that though closer to a medal that she's one of the favorites to actually win one at heptathlon.

last year Schippers barely made the top-20 for performances in the hep; this year she hasn't made the top-10 yet. Right now that "valiant last place" (top 8) is looking assured in the hep if history is our guide. However, a non former-Eastern Bloc country woman running sub-11 even in a global final will get her MORE DL lanes than she ever would as a hep medallist. The income potential for a finalist European 100m woman who was also sub-11 (if she could do that, of course) is greater imo.
batonless relay
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:40 am

Re: Take notice of dafne schippers-join in London DL 100m

Postby eldanielfire » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:16 pm

batonless relay wrote:I never said Schippers was poised to break 11, though if she did it wouldn't surprise me. I was only saying that the Jamaican women are not as good as they were and after you factored for SAFP and Jeter the competition looked almost identical. 10.9-high/11.0x range.

I also agree that she is "better" in the heptathlon, and she should be, the 100m is her part-time event. That said, there really is no indication that though closer to a medal that she's one of the favorites to actually win one at heptathlon.

last year Schippers barely made the top-20 for performances in the hep; this year she hasn't made the top-10 yet. Right now that "valiant last place" (top 8) is looking assured in the hep if history is our guide. However, a non former-Eastern Bloc country woman running sub-11 even in a global final will get her MORE DL lanes than she ever would as a hep medallist. The income potential for a finalist European 100m woman who was also sub-11 (if she could do that, of course) is greater imo.


Income potential is far great from being a potential global medallist or on the top 3 in a country with few Athletic medal potentials than a regular on the European DL circuit winning very little. Sponsorship and exposure earns you far more than regular DL losses. The dinner circuit, the hotel corporate circuit the ambassador for various companies/organisations etc will earn you more and keep your earnings going superbly long after you have retired too.
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: Take notice of dafne schippers-join in London DL 100m

Postby weia » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:41 pm

About the javelin: it looks weaker than it is. In 2010 she already threw 38 meters and at that time she did 11.56 on 100 meters. As soon as she gets some technical things in order, 45 meters will be her normal level. Good enough for a fast heptathlete.

And long jump: she had two jumps over 6.70 in Tampere, with only 1 cm over the board.
weia
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:07 am

Re: Take notice of dafne schippers-join in London DL 100m

Postby batonless relay » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:15 pm

eldanielfire wrote:
batonless relay wrote:I never said Schippers was poised to break 11, though if she did it wouldn't surprise me. I was only saying that the Jamaican women are not as good as they were and after you factored for SAFP and Jeter the competition looked almost identical. 10.9-high/11.0x range.

I also agree that she is "better" in the heptathlon, and she should be, the 100m is her part-time event. That said, there really is no indication that though closer to a medal that she's one of the favorites to actually win one at heptathlon.

last year Schippers barely made the top-20 for performances in the hep; this year she hasn't made the top-10 yet. Right now that "valiant last place" (top 8) is looking assured in the hep if history is our guide. However, a non former-Eastern Bloc country woman running sub-11 even in a global final will get her MORE DL lanes than she ever would as a hep medallist. The income potential for a finalist European 100m woman who was also sub-11 (if she could do that, of course) is greater imo.


Income potential is far great from being a potential global medallist or on the top 3 in a country with few Athletic medal potentials than a regular on the European DL circuit winning very little. Sponsorship and exposure earns you far more than regular DL losses. The dinner circuit, the hotel corporate circuit the ambassador for various companies/organisations etc will earn you more and keep your earnings going superbly long after you have retired too.

That's laughable. She's easily the top sprinter in her country today and closing in on Cooman's Dutch National Record versus being, what, the 3rd best heptathlete in her country? An event she can do, what, twice, 3x a year? I don't think if you take Schippers best 3 events against her competition if she could stay in the top-5. 200m, LJ, ??? = probably no better than 5th and maybe not in the top-8.

Anyway, I'm moving on; hopefully, there will be more to say after her race in London.
batonless relay
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:40 am

Re: Take notice of dafne schippers-join in London DL 100m

Postby eldanielfire » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:31 pm

batonless relay wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
batonless relay wrote:I never said Schippers was poised to break 11, though if she did it wouldn't surprise me. I was only saying that the Jamaican women are not as good as they were and after you factored for SAFP and Jeter the competition looked almost identical. 10.9-high/11.0x range.

I also agree that she is "better" in the heptathlon, and she should be, the 100m is her part-time event. That said, there really is no indication that though closer to a medal that she's one of the favorites to actually win one at heptathlon.

last year Schippers barely made the top-20 for performances in the hep; this year she hasn't made the top-10 yet. Right now that "valiant last place" (top 8) is looking assured in the hep if history is our guide. However, a non former-Eastern Bloc country woman running sub-11 even in a global final will get her MORE DL lanes than she ever would as a hep medallist. The income potential for a finalist European 100m woman who was also sub-11 (if she could do that, of course) is greater imo.


Income potential is far great from being a potential global medallist or on the top 3 in a country with few Athletic medal potentials than a regular on the European DL circuit winning very little. Sponsorship and exposure earns you far more than regular DL losses. The dinner circuit, the hotel corporate circuit the ambassador for various companies/organisations etc will earn you more and keep your earnings going superbly long after you have retired too.

That's laughable. She's easily the top sprinter in her country today and closing in on Cooman's Dutch National Record versus being, what, the 3rd best heptathlete in her country? An event she can do, what, twice, 3x a year? I don't think if you take Schippers best 3 events against her competition if she could stay in the top-5. 200m, LJ, ??? = probably no better than 5th and maybe not in the top-8.

Anyway, I'm moving on; hopefully, there will be more to say after her race in London.


Loads of athletes have various national records. They nice bits of credit in the sport but do you honestly Montell Douglas will ever earn more than one time Olympic Bronze Medallist's Cathy Merry and Kelly Sotherton because she has the British 100m record?

Do you think a corporate weekend away cares above a British record holder than an Olympic medallist when they want to pay thousands for a motivational speaker for their management?

A major medal is decades on the gravey train of dinners, openings, media appearances and corporate jobs. A national record is probably some diamond league appearances and not much more. A good book to see it documented is the Secret Olympian which goe sinto some detail of how this works. Schippers has a relatively low chance of ever getting a global medal but a good chance of a Heptathlon one.
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: Take notice of dafne schippers-join in London DL 100m

Postby dustoff » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:03 pm

If she can get to sub 11 with any consistency, she can be a potential medal threat at any major championship and would be a perennial finalist. Considering her recent results with little focus on sprinting, I find it hard to believe she couldn't make substantial improvement over the next couple years.

With all of the focus on the hept and her raw speed, she can't even hurdle as well as an elite heptathlete, let alone compete in half of the other events. She might have great potential, but somewhere else it is lacking. She seems at least as talented in the sprints as she may be in the hepathlon.
dustoff
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:58 pm

Re: Take notice of dafne schippers-join in London DL 100m

Postby nianchengyu » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:48 am

Race 2
Lane Athlete Nation PB SB

2 PHILIP Asha GBR 11.20 11.20
3 SCHIPPERS Dafne NED 11.09 11.09
4 BAPTISTE Kelly-Ann TRI 10.83 10.83
5 AHOURE Murielle CIV 10.91 10.91
6 OKAGBARE Blessing NGR 10.92 10.93
7 PIERRE Barbara USA 10.85 10.85
8 SAILER Verena GER 11.05 11.09
9 LEWIS Annabelle GBR 11.36 11.36
Dafne drew into second group which is might even stronger than WC semi-final,peforming good for herself is OK.
nianchengyu
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Take notice of dafne schippers-11.18s/0.1 in London 100m

Postby nianchengyu » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:55 am

Wind:+0.1 Rank Athlete Nation Result Reaction time
1 OKAGBARE Blessing NGR 10.86 AR 0.169
2 PIERRE Barbara USA 10.90 0.174
3 AHOURE Murielle CIV 10.98 0.161
4 BAPTISTE Kelly-Ann TRI 10.99 0.150
5 SAILER Verena GER 11.15 0.167
6 SCHIPPERS Dafne NED 11.18 0.172
7 PHILIP Asha GBR 11.33 0.155
8 LEWIS Annabelle GBR 11.44
nianchengyu
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Take notice of dafne schippers-11.18s/0.1 in London 100m

Postby nianchengyu » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:13 am

This is dafne first run after failing to hold Madiea Ghafoor baton in relay yesterday,not bad run for her,hoping she can stay healthy to join in heptathlon and 200m as well.
nianchengyu
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Take notice of dafne schippers-will join in hep,relay in

Postby nianchengyu » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:52 pm

I wonder why she cannot choose 200m as well because nobody else can reach the standard.200m is well behind heptathlon and a bit more chances than 100m.If she is tired after heptathlon,she can withdraw from it.If some accident happens,200m can make up to it.
Here is Dutch team:
http://www.atletiekunie.nl/index.php?page=109&nieuwsitem=8519
nianchengyu
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Take notice of dafne schippers-will join in hep,relay in

Postby Gabriella » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:03 pm

Remember Schippers has only just turned 21! She has plenty of time to learn how to improve her JT. In the events where an athlete can score big (100mh, 200m, LJ) she is better than most of her contemporaries (KJT, Ikauniece, Biesenbach..) and her SP is better than theirs too. Her HJ, another key scoring event, is mixed but she seems to have improved significantly to reach 1.8, the height she needs to be competitive. I've no doubt her JT will improve if she has the desire to put the work in. Her problem appears to be persistent knee problems which is a worry at her age. It's also of note that she hasn't had a big jump in points yet like a lot of heptathletes do. If she desires it she can reach over 6700 points in the next couple of years for sure and has the potential for a big score. But as I said she needs to want this , as it's going to take a lot of hard work. But the talent is there. 
Gabriella
 
Posts: 1687
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:59 am

Re: Take notice of dafne schippers-will join in hep,relay in

Postby batonless relay » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:02 am

Gabriella wrote:Remember Schippers has only just turned 21! She has plenty of time to learn how to improve her JT. In the events where an athlete can score big (100mh, 200m, LJ) she is better than most of her contemporaries (KJT, Ikauniece, Biesenbach..) and her SP is better than theirs too. Her HJ, another key scoring event, is mixed but she seems to have improved significantly to reach 1.8, the height she needs to be competitive. I've no doubt her JT will improve if she has the desire to put the work in. Her problem appears to be persistent knee problems which is a worry at her age. It's also of note that she hasn't had a big jump in points yet like a lot of heptathletes do. If she desires it she can reach over 6700 points in the next couple of years for sure and has the potential for a big score. But as I said she needs to want this , as it's going to take a lot of hard work. But the talent is there. 

Yes, the talent is there, but the hesitation to make that "jump" you write about could be due to a slower learning curve or just less proprioceptive coordination. Both would be problems for this "big score". That persistent knee problem doesn't give me great confidence either. Since in the near term I won't get my wish for her to become a 100m sprinter and Europe loses one of it's most talented sprinters -if not it's MOST talented sprinter- I'll just hope that she becomes the multi athlete on the level of an Ashton Eaton.
batonless relay
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:40 am

Re: Take notice of dafne schippers-will join in hep,relay in

Postby MDelano » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:15 am

Gabriella wrote:Remember Schippers has only just turned 21! She has plenty of time to learn how to improve her JT. In the events where an athlete can score big (100mh, 200m, LJ) she is better than most of her contemporaries (KJT, Ikauniece, Biesenbach..) and her SP is better than theirs too. Her HJ, another key scoring event, is mixed but she seems to have improved significantly to reach 1.8, the height she needs to be competitive. I've no doubt her JT will improve if she has the desire to put the work in. Her problem appears to be persistent knee problems which is a worry at her age. It's also of note that she hasn't had a big jump in points yet like a lot of heptathletes do. If she desires it she can reach over 6700 points in the next couple of years for sure and has the potential for a big score. But as I said she needs to want this , as it's going to take a lot of hard work. But the talent is there. 


The thing is when she finally jumped 1.80 (PB) in London at the OG she complained of severe knee and foot pain afterwards and she said it really caused her problems with the long jump and the javelin the next day. So I do wonder if her body will ever allow her to reach her evident potential in the heptathlon. To have a persistent complaint at such a young age does not bode well for the rest of her career.
MDelano
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:57 am

Re: Take notice of dafne schippers-will join in hep,relay in

Postby nianchengyu » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:25 am

MDelano wrote:
Gabriella wrote:Remember Schippers has only just turned 21! She has plenty of time to learn how to improve her JT. In the events where an athlete can score big (100mh, 200m, LJ) she is better than most of her contemporaries (KJT, Ikauniece, Biesenbach..) and her SP is better than theirs too. Her HJ, another key scoring event, is mixed but she seems to have improved significantly to reach 1.8, the height she needs to be competitive. I've no doubt her JT will improve if she has the desire to put the work in. Her problem appears to be persistent knee problems which is a worry at her age. It's also of note that she hasn't had a big jump in points yet like a lot of heptathletes do. If she desires it she can reach over 6700 points in the next couple of years for sure and has the potential for a big score. But as I said she needs to want this , as it's going to take a lot of hard work. But the talent is there. 


The thing is when she finally jumped 1.80 (PB) in London at the OG she complained of severe knee and foot pain afterwards and she said it really caused her problems with the long jump and the javelin the next day. So I do wonder if her body will ever allow her to reach her evident potential in the heptathlon. To have a persistent complaint at such a young age does not bode well for the rest of her career.

That is the truth,dafne often complains about her knee problems after heptathlon,last year she also withdraw from 200m afterwards,too.She is young enough but often says quite tired after heptathlon.BTW,she took only two heptathlons each year and no individual JV compe titon at all.Of course,this WC is her best chance to get a good positon after Chernova also withdrew.Let us hope that she will peform well.
nianchengyu
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Take notice of dafne schippers-will join in hep,relay in

Postby nianchengyu » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:31 am

Wow,Ennis withdraw from WC along with Chernova,what a wide contender for the rest field,hoping dafne can well in her own standard.
nianchengyu
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Take notice of dafne schippers-will join in hep,relay in

Postby eldanielfire » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:42 am

Well well well!

Dafne Schippers absolutely killed herself in the 800m to take the Bronze medal in the world championships in the Heptathlon. She knocked off 7 SECONDS OFF HER PB TO DO IT!
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: Take notice of dafne schippers-will join in hep,relay in

Postby lonewolf » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:15 am

This is the first opportunity I have had to take notice of Dafne Schippers since nianchengo began extolling her virtues.
I now understand his enthusiasm... a very noticeable young woman..a really gutsy 800m.
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8816
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: Take notice of dafne schippers-will join in hep,relay in

Postby weia » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:03 pm

The 800 is extraordinary!! She comes from far away with the 800. When I saw her for the first time she was 10 or 11 and doing a multi with other kids of our club. In the high jump it was immediately clear she had explosive muscles, but after that she had to run a 600 and she didn't want it al all, crying, wheeping, angry and her mother had to push her to do it. And now...!
The rest of the heptathlon wasn't very special, just good enough. But in the end a PB and a NR.
weia
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:07 am

Re: Take notice of dafne schippers

Postby weia » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:14 pm

weia wrote:Early 2011 I predicted that Dafne should improve the national record on 200 in 2011, the 100 in 2012, the heptathlon in 2013 and the long jump in 2014. The first step has been done.


The year of the 100 was not a good prediction, but the hep she has improved in the predicted year!
weia
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:07 am

Re: Take notice of dafne schippers-will join in hep,relay in

Postby Gabriella » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:22 am

Does anyone know whether Schippers had a reaction to anything recently? Her face, shoulders and upper arms were covered in acne and welts. I'm not suggetsing anything, just genuinely curious as I haven't noticed the shoulders/arms before (though she has always been a bit pimply faced)
Gabriella
 
Posts: 1687
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:59 am

Re: Take notice of dafne schippers-will join in hep,relay in

Postby Marlow » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:20 am

I have been following this thread for its near year and a half life and have been bemused by nianchengyu's enamorment of Ms. Schippers, thinking all along that it was an aaronesque infatuation (not unlike my adoration of Stacy), but after the Hep, I am a True Believer! Good on ya, mate!! :D
Marlow
 
Posts: 21125
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Take notice of dafne schippers-will join in hep,relay in

Postby nianchengyu » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:21 am

Gabriella wrote:Does anyone know whether Schippers had a reaction to anything recently? Her face, shoulders and upper arms were covered in acne and welts. I'm not suggetsing anything, just genuinely curious as I haven't noticed the shoulders/arms before (though she has always been a bit pimply faced)

I thought she is like that before,maybe you looked too far from her,and her bronze medalist much liklely stops her sprint alone,at this meeting she definately up and down from an early SP,or she can score 6600p around,and her 200m and SP upset me much,5 times under 11.20s 100m this year but cannot break her own NR,hoping she could do it after WC.As for SP,powerful muscles and figure do not put her as a great SPer currently,PB dates back to 2011.I think she should lose some weight even in heptathlon,her HJ looked terrible still and heavily on bar.
nianchengyu
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Take notice of dafne schippers-won bronze in heptathlon

Postby weia » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:27 am

Her own comments: knee problem in the high jump, also in the shot put and the start of the 200. She expected to run faster than 22.84. Second day: I heard no complaint about the knee.
weia
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:07 am

Re: Take notice of dafne schippers-won bronze in heptathlon

Postby Wilmar » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:28 pm

've followed Dafne (professionally) for years and years now. This (both combined events and sprints) is all more or less in line with optimistic expectations raised about her from a pretty young age
(fun detail: www.atletiektoto.nl organizer Ronald van Weele was her coach for a while; she has now been with former Decathlete Bart Bennema for five years).

Schippers reportedly focused on speed this year (which was also a EC U23 year), and it showed. The main 'debate' in The Netherlands is in fact between people urging her to quit heptathlon and focus on sprints. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me, but more importantly, if you ask her.
* First of all, she prefers the heptathlon. Which means case closed right there.
* Secondly, as she pointed out herself, she would never have gotten a sprint medal at these Worlds. And even if you start the 'what if' argument re: Ennis, Chernova, Schwartzkopf absences, Heptathlon was clearly her best shot this year (even assuming she'd have improved herself over 100/200 again, and not counting like absences of VCB, Baptiste, and others).
* Either way, over several years now Schippers has booked more progression in the sprints while training for the Heptathlon than just about all other 'specialists'. So even if it is all-round training, why would you ever change what you're doing? It's obviously working - for both sprints and heptathlon.
The argument is of course that she might do even better otherwise. But I personally doubt that. More sprinting just as easily makes her more susceptible to associated injuries. Especially since one of the arguments is about a vulnerable knee. Which joint nevertheless is, I believe, Schippers' 'achilles heel' in terms of Heptathlon.
Otherwise, at 21 and already this fast, she has incredible growth potential in just about all Heptathlon events. 13 dead hurdles, 14.50 shot, consistent 1.80 HJ, 22.50 sprints, 6.70 LJ, 45 javelin and consistent sub-2.10 all (or say about 5-6 of them) seem pretty achievable in about 2-4 years. And if Schippers gets only about 3-4 of those marks in addition to her current bests, she will be a force to be reckoned with in Rio - even with the likes of Ennis/Chernova and others.

BTW, Schippers is scheduled to run the Dutch 4x100 meters later this week in Moscow. Read that she's come out of the Heptathlon reasonably well, and she's bounced back for the relay a number of years already (OG London, among others). It was also reported she might run a 100 meters in Brussels (but not until after she's gone on a brief holiday).
Wilmar
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Take notice of dafne schippers-won bronze in heptathlon

Postby dustoff » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:32 pm

Perhaps she wouldn't have gotten a sprint medal, but I don't necessarily believe it. 10.9 got a medal and she is practically an 11.0 runner while training for the heptathlon. She might already be that fast with more race experience.

Additionally, she got a bronze because of many athletes not being there. If the same leaders (by rank) were gone from the sprints, she would have had a similar chance for a medal.

Finally, she could be the best European sprinter, which alone will afford her many area titles and a perennial finalist as long as the US/Jamaica can only send 3 athletes.

I'm convinced she could be a 10.7-10.8 sprinter by the end of her career if she focuses on it. Judging by her lack of substantial progress in key events in the hept, I am not convinced she has a chance of ever winning a title, considering this was her best case scenario, ran out of her skin, ad took home a bronze.

Her hurdles and jumps are far too weak for her speed and size.
dustoff
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:58 pm

Re: Take notice of dafne schippers-won bronze in heptathlon

Postby MDelano » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:34 am

Wilmar, however those predictions could have been made just as easily 2 years ago when she was a junior and her PBs were 13.27 - 1.70 - 14.19 - 22.69 - 6.47 - 41.80 - 2.15.74 (and 11.19 in the 100).
Apart from that extraordinary effort in the 800m this week (which she didn't have to run all out to win the hep as a junior), there hasn't been the kind of progression one would have expected at her age and her knee problem surely has something to do with that.
MDelano
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:57 am

Re: Take notice of dafne schippers-won bronze in heptathlon

Postby Wilmar » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:21 am

And indeed, dustoff, Mdelano, those are exactly the same discussions going around in The Netherlands.
Frankly, more fun speculating about this kind of stuff than about doping cases (a magazine article featuring alleged doping use of a prominent Dutch athlete attracted a lot of attention this week, detracting quite a bit from the Worlds).

re: dustoff - I think I agree Dafne may very well go well under 11.00. But looking at her progression in the last 4-5 years, does not seem Heptathlon training has hurt her too, too much in that quest. And it's not like she does not sprint competitively, it's way more than everything else combined, including the EC indoors and the EC U23 Champs.
Don't think I agree she had as much change in the 100 or 200 meters as she had in the Heptathlon (her last sprints, including Birmingham and indeed the World's Heptathlon 200) actually hinted she may have sprint-peaked, although that's a very, very dangerous suggestion especialy with athletes as competitive as Schippers ;-)). Either way, we'll never know.
re: Mdelano - impressive list of 2011 pb's indeed. Unfortunately, the same list can also be used to negate the sprint-switch, because her progression there is in line with the other events (minor correction needed re: javelin). My theory: a number of those 2011 performances were 'peaks'/outliers. Her 'lack' of progression may in part be misleading - Schippers is a lot more consistent these days ('base level' has gone up). And I think she may indeed actually be at a higher level in a few events, if only she'd have (done) more competitions. However, not the case, as she's done so much sprinting... ;-).

Anyway, we'll see. And I guess we definitely do agree it will be fun to do so :-)
Wilmar
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aaronk, georgebi, Google [Bot], jazzcyclist, KDFINE, norunner, Sasuke and 12 guests