Elite HS shotputters and how they faired with the 16 pounder


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Elite HS shotputters and how they faired with the 16 pounder

Postby Rye Catcher » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:16 pm

With all the hoopala over Gill, Crouser and Vena, this old and anal X thrower decided to take a look at how well elite HS throwers who graduated from HS between 1999 and 2009 did with the big ball. I had 3 groups, HS throwers over 68', those between 66' and 68' and those between 64' and 66'. To qualify, they had to reach 60' with the 16 pound shot. The results were interesting.


Group A over 68': 10 achieved it and 30% hit 60'+.
Group B 66' to 68': 20 achieved it and 40% hit 60'+.
Group C 64' to 66': 28 achieved it and 39% hit 60'+.

I would have expected the percentage figures to be more like 60%, 40% and 20%. Have the top HS throwers matured faster and peaked? Did the bottom group have more motivation? Also, none from group A reached the same distance with the 16 pounder that they achieved with the 12, but 4 from group B did and 4 from group C did, which is not surprising.

Also, Cantwell threw the 16 pounder 52' in HS and has improved an impressive 22 feet.

I hope Vena gets a good education, because he will not make a nickel as a pro thrower. Crouser and Gill could break the mold, only time will tell. We can hope.
Rye Catcher
 
Posts: 740
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:00 pm

Re: Elite HS shotputters and how they faired with the 16 pou

Postby Dave » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:14 am

At least Crouser, who was class valedictorian, is studying engineering so he will be ok.
Dave
 
Posts: 2119
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: Elite HS shotputters and how they faired with the 16 pou

Postby highjumpfan » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:02 pm

Why is there such a rush to write the epitaph of Nick Vena? He was arguably the greatest high school shot putter of all time and while he may not have gotten off to the start that Crouser has, he threw 18.45 this weekend which is 60'6"1/2
let him at least finish at least his freshman season before he is dismissed as a future shot put superstar. An 18/19 year old boy who throws 60+ in February is pretty impressive.
Throw Nick Throw!
highjumpfan
 
Posts: 329
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: right where I'm supposed to be.

Re: Elite HS shotputters and how they faired with the 16 pou

Postby Rye Catcher » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:53 pm

Nick reminds me of Kevin Bookout, who also did very well in 4 years of high school shot, only to go poof with the 16 pound ball.
Rye Catcher
 
Posts: 740
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:00 pm

Re: Elite HS shotputters and how they faired with the 16 pou

Postby bushop » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:32 pm

On the other end of this spectrum is recent Canadian convert Justin Rodhe. As an Ohio schoolboy (2003) he putt the 12-pound shot 14m (46'2"). In 2007 he hit a 2' PB with a 18m (59') on his last collegiate throw (7.26k ball) at the NCAA D3 championships.

After spending few years in Canada training and getting married he threw 20.95m (68'9") at Tyson this weekend.
bushop
 
Posts: 1865
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: Elite HS shotputters and how they faired with the 16 pou

Postby Rye Catcher » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:48 am

bushop wrote:On the other end of this spectrum is recent Canadian convert Justin Rodhe. As an Ohio schoolboy (2003) he putt the 12-pound shot 14m (46'2"). In 2007 he hit a 2' PB with a 18m (59') on his last collegiate throw (7.26k ball) at the NCAA D3 championships.

After spending few years in Canada training and getting married he threw 20.95m (68'9") at Tyson this weekend.


That's even greater improvement than Cantwell enjoyed.
Rye Catcher
 
Posts: 740
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:00 pm

Re: Elite HS shotputters and how they faired with the 16 pou

Postby dukehjsteve » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:03 am

Now I'm going strictly from memory on this so I might be off a little, but I recall Dallas Long, who in 1958 got out into New Ground with the HS shot to 69', then went to the AAU and flipped the 16'er out to 61' and got 2nd behind O'Brien. From then on for 7 years his career speaks for itself.
He never matched his HS 69 with a 16'er 69, but I don't think he needs to apologize for that !
dukehjsteve
 
Posts: 6054
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Fishers, IN

Re: Elite HS shotputters and how they faired with the 16 pou

Postby Rye Catcher » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:32 am

dukehjsteve wrote:Now I'm going strictly from memory on this so I might be off a little, but I recall Dallas Long, who in 1958 got out into New Ground with the HS shot to 69', then went to the AAU and flipped the 16'er out to 61' and got 2nd behind O'Brien. From then on for 7 years his career speaks for itself.
He never matched his HS 69 with a 16'er 69, but I don't think he needs to apologize for that !


Actually he did the 61 at the Compton Invitational and still as a prep. What was really great at that meet was that his throw was right after Dave Davis threw 60-6 as a soph at USC to set a new NCAA record. So for a time the prep record exceeded the college record with the 16 pound shot.

I was in the stands that night and it was an exciting evening.
Rye Catcher
 
Posts: 740
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:00 pm

Re: Elite HS shotputters and how they faired with the 16 pou

Postby dukehjsteve » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:47 am

Rye Catcher wrote:
dukehjsteve wrote:Now I'm going strictly from memory on this so I might be off a little, but I recall Dallas Long, who in 1958 got out into New Ground with the HS shot to 69', then went to the AAU and flipped the 16'er out to 61' and got 2nd behind O'Brien. From then on for 7 years his career speaks for itself.
He never matched his HS 69 with a 16'er 69, but I don't think he needs to apologize for that !


Actually he did the 61 at the Compton Invitational and still as a prep. What was really great at that meet was that his throw was right after Dave Davis threw 60-6 as a soph at USC to set a new NCAA record. So for a time the prep record exceeded the college record with the 16 pound shot.

I was in the stands that night and it was an exciting evening.



Thanks Rye Catcher for your fine tuning... I was pretty close !
dukehjsteve
 
Posts: 6054
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Fishers, IN

Re: Elite HS shotputters and how they faired with the 16 pou

Postby leoesharkey » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:13 pm

Great stuff, but i wouldn't write Vena off, he's a young guy, plenty of talent, if he really wants it he will blossom.

Wow you watched Long back in the day, what a talent!!!!
leoesharkey
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:36 pm
Location: England

Re: Elite HS shotputters and how they faired with the 16 pou

Postby Rye Catcher » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:42 pm

leoesharkey wrote:Great stuff, but i wouldn't write Vena off, he's a young guy, plenty of talent, if he really wants it he will blossom.

Wow you watched Long back in the day, what a talent!!!!


Threw against him in '58. He got 66+ and I got 59-5. He was impressive. At least my girlfriend's dad was impressed with me.
Rye Catcher
 
Posts: 740
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:00 pm

Re: Elite HS shotputters and how they faired with the 16 pou

Postby leoesharkey » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:16 pm

Cool, 59 feet back in the day was like 70 feet today!
leoesharkey
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:36 pm
Location: England

Re: Elite HS shotputters and how they faired with the 16 pou

Postby Bigblue86 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:50 pm

leoesharkey wrote:Cool, 59 feet back in the day was like 70 feet today!


Back in the day? Is that what they call a backhanded compliment? :wink:
Bigblue86
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Elite HS shotputters and how they faired with the 16 pou

Postby johnclevohio » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:32 am

Whatever happened to Jimmie Pacifico, who threw 70+ in high school a few years ago. I know he went to JC for a couple of years, but have not heard anything since.
johnclevohio
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Elite HS shotputters and how they faired with the 16 pou

Postby GHM » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:28 am

At the age of 16 and about 60kg I threw the big ball about 11 meters back in 1975 and never attempted again. I am wondering if there is a stat on the lightest man/woman over 20m?
GHM
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Elite HS shotputters and how they faired with the 16 pou

Postby bushop » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:11 pm

johnclevohio wrote:Whatever happened to Jimmie Pacifico, who threw 70+ in high school a few years ago. I know he went to JC for a couple of years, but have not heard anything since.
Jimmie Pacifico via Facebook wrote:Jimmie Pacifico Feb 21
VIDEO OF ME GETTING PEPPER SPRAYED BY THE HIGHEST GRADE SPRAY ON MARKET UP ON MY WALL!!! CHECK IT OUT!!!
JPacificoPower's channel on YouTube
bushop
 
Posts: 1865
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: Elite HS shotputters and how they faired with the 16 pou

Postby oldvaulter » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:04 am

deleted
oldvaulter
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: rural Northern California


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], f/f and 4 guests