Junior Shot Put '13 [Bukowiecki 22.24 WYBi]

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Junior Male Shot Put 2012 [No Olys for Gill (for now)]

Postby bushop » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:33 am

Athletics: Olympic officials' plea to Jacko - reconsider London
By Dylan Cleaver and Dana Johannsen
5:30 AM Saturday Apr 7, 2012

"... but also for the New Zealand public who had been eagerly looking forward to seeing how Gill would go against the best in the world."
I assume he could get into a Diamond League meet or two?

"Gill had eclipsed the IAAF "B" standard of 20m and Athletics NZ's mark of 20.30m, but to guarantee his ticket to London, and be named in the first group of athletes nominated by the NZOC, he needed to meet the "A" qualifying standard of 20.50m."
Does this mean anyone below Athletics NZ's Standard (ie. 20.30m) is not invited to the Games? ... even if they've hit the Olympic "B" Standard (ie. 20.00m)?

"Newman said Athletics NZ had already started working with Gill on tailoring his programme for his title defence at the junior world championships in Barcelona in July."
Really... Athletics NZ helps Gill right his training schedule?

My comments in red.
bushop

Postby mump boy » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:24 pm

bushop wrote:
"Gill had eclipsed the IAAF "B" standard of 20m and Athletics NZ's mark of 20.30m, but to guarantee his ticket to London, and be named in the first group of athletes nominated by the NZOC, he needed to meet the "A" qualifying standard of 20.50m."
Does this mean anyone below Athletics NZ's Standard (ie. 20.30m) is not invited to the Games? ... even if they've hit the Olympic "B" Standard (ie. 20.00m)?

It is my understanding that there will be a second round of selection in June when people with B qualifiers will be considered and selected. There was every chance that Jacko would have been selected in the 2nd round along with others with B qualifiers. Apparently that wasn't good enough for him.
mump boy

Postby Tuariki » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:52 pm

mump boy wrote:
Has anyone else with 1 B standard been selected ? if not have the others with 1 B standard thrown their toys out the pram and refused selection at a later date ?

Edit: i've answered my own question

They have only selected 4 people in the first round, a reigning champion, a reigning silver medallist, a 85m Commonwealth Games silver medallist, world championship finalist Javelin thrower and a 2.25 marathon runner who holds every national record from 3k to marathon.

who all have A qualifiers

So the question remains, have any of the other athletes with B qualifiers who didn't get selected in the first round, refused to be considered in a later round of selections ?

mump- you and flumpy just don't seem to get it.

The problem is not with the selection criteria that Athletics NZ has belatedly announced when they announced the first batch of 4 athletes last week. The problem is that these selection criteria in NZ are a moveable feast.

The selection criteria were never announced until after Jacko beat the B standard of 20.00m when he threw 20.01m. Then the published selection criteria just mentioned that all an athlete had to do to qualify for London was to meet the higher NZ standard that was published. That standard was 20.30m which Jacko exceeded as a 16 year old in December when he threw 20.38m.

There was no mention in the selection criteria of a close off date or the announcing of athletes in batches at different times. There was no mention of having to wait for perhaps another athlete to meet the NZ standard in case NZ had 2 athletes that met the NZ standard but neither met the A standard set by the IAAF.

Therefore Jacko was quite justified to feel aggrieved that he wasn't named when the "team" was announced. He had met the NZ published selection criteria. However, it turns out that the real unpublished selection criteria can be summed up as follows:

1. Athletes must exceed the NZ standard of 20.30m.

2. The first batch of athletes selected will be made immediately following the NZ champs
The first batch will be only those athletes that have exceeded the IAAF A standard

3. For those athletes who have exceeded the NZ standard but not the IAAF A standard then the selection of those athletes will not be confirmed until say 1June 2012.

4. If 2 or more athletes reach the NZ standard but not the IAAF standard then the selectors will make the determination as to which athlete will be selected.

If they had published this a year or so ago then we would not be having this drama today. However, our national adminstration are simply amateur and not up to it.

NZ has a great history of wanting to cut the tall poppy back down to size. Just ask Snell, Walke, Quax, Dixon and others. Many of your adminstrators who fight their way to the top of adminstration are often "failed" athletes who love nothing better than to let the athlete know who is the boss.

And maybe Jacko should go and compete for Kiribati as suggested by Giant Panda - at least they would appreciate him.
Tuariki

Postby leoesharkey » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:58 pm

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/olympic-games ... d=10797326

I am a bit confused about the fouls at the special meet for the earthquake victims...I could not see them?
leoesharkey

Postby leoesharkey » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:19 pm

Mump boy I mean that Matson's throwing was awesome, Ok 22.80 as a junior would be an understatement for him, he equaled the WR as a junior !! so it would be like a junior throwing 23.16 today....
leoesharkey

Postby leoesharkey » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:21 pm

Long broke the senior WR as a Junior...
leoesharkey

Postby mump boy » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:34 pm

Tuariki wrote:
mump boy wrote:
Has anyone else with 1 B standard been selected ? if not have the others with 1 B standard thrown their toys out the pram and refused selection at a later date ?

Edit: i've answered my own question

They have only selected 4 people in the first round, a reigning champion, a reigning silver medallist, a 85m Commonwealth Games silver medallist, world championship finalist Javelin thrower and a 2.25 marathon runner who holds every national record from 3k to marathon.

who all have A qualifiers

So the question remains, have any of the other athletes with B qualifiers who didn't get selected in the first round, refused to be considered in a later round of selections ?

mump- you and flumpy just don't seem to get it.

The problem is not with the selection criteria that Athletics NZ has belatedly announced when they announced the first batch of 4 athletes last week. The problem is that these selection criteria in NZ are a moveable feast.

The selection criteria were never announced until after Jacko beat the B standard of 20.00m when he threw 20.01m. Then the published selection criteria just mentioned that all an athlete had to do to qualify for London was to meet the higher NZ standard that was published. That standard was 20.30m which Jacko exceeded as a 16 year old in December when he threw 20.38m.

There was no mention in the selection criteria of a close off date or the announcing of athletes in batches at different times. There was no mention of having to wait for perhaps another athlete to meet the NZ standard in case NZ had 2 athletes that met the NZ standard but neither met the A standard set by the IAAF.

Therefore Jacko was quite justified to feel aggrieved that he wasn't named when the "team" was announced. He had met the NZ published selection criteria. However, it turns out that the real unpublished selection criteria can be summed up as follows:

1. Athletes must exceed the NZ standard of 20.30m.

2. The first batch of athletes selected will be made immediately following the NZ champs
The first batch will be only those athletes that have exceeded the IAAF A standard

3. For those athletes who have exceeded the NZ standard but not the IAAF A standard then the selection of those athletes will not be confirmed until say 1June 2012.

4. If 2 or more athletes reach the NZ standard but not the IAAF standard then the selectors will make the determination as to which athlete will be selected.

If they had published this a year or so ago then we would not be having this drama today. However, our national adminstration are simply amateur and not up to it.

NZ has a great history of wanting to cut the tall poppy back down to size. Just ask Snell, Walke, Quax, Dixon and others. Many of your adminstrators who fight their way to the top of adminstration are often "failed" athletes who love nothing better than to let the athlete know who is the boss.

And maybe Jacko should go and compete for Kiribati as suggested by Giant Panda - at least they would appreciate him.

We both understand perfectly well, what we don't understand is why it is only Jacko Gill and his supporters who have created a drama out of it. There are plenty of other athletes who also only have one B standard who will continue training and competing in the hope of getting the A standard or impressing enough to get selected in the 2nd round. They haven't arbitrarily decided to cut off their nose to spite their face.

Jacko Gill is an amazing talent but that doesn't mean that he should get special treatment. All of this drama from a teenage athlete reminds me of similar situations we had with Emily Pidgeon and Amy Spencer in the UK. All of their complains were also based around how special their children where and therefore should be treated differently (Emily's dad decided that he didn't like the training camp for the WJ therefore Emily wouldn't go !!). Emily is now a shadow of her former self, only just running faster than she did at 15 and Amy quit at the age of 17 for unknown reasons.

It's none of my business but I would prefer Jacko Gill spent his teenage years enjoying his athletics instead of being in the middle of controversy of his (his parents ?) making. I think this is the best way to insure that he is still taking part at the highest level in 17 years time

However good they are, i don't think that children should be dictating to national federations, it is not productive, a good precedent or conducive to a successful long term career.
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:38 pm

leoesharkey wrote:Long broke the senior WR as a Junior...

i take it all back, successful Jnr Shot Putters dominate the world all time list.
mump boy

Postby bushop » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:56 pm

Athletics: Why Jacko Gill quit
5:30 AM Sunday Apr 8, 2012
"At the heart of the Gill saga is said to be Athletics NZ's inability to make Gill and his family feel valued enough.... inquiries have shown that Gill's withdrawal has come after a series of incidents... added up to the family feeling... that blocks were being put in Gill's way... perhaps the strangest part of this story is the foul throws when an upset Gill confronted judges whom he felt were deliberately calling foul throws on him... the judges claiming he was touching the top of the... back of the shot put circle... he felt the judges were gunning for him..."
bushop

Postby Tuariki » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:46 pm

I am pretty confident that Brent Newdick - decathlete - is just as disappointed as Jacko. Brent, was 22nd with 8114 points in the decathlon in 2011. The NZ selection standard is 8050. The nxt best NZ athlete is on 7601 points.

I have no problem with what we now know to be the full selection criteria for London 2012. It is just that Athletics NZ needs to learn to be better at comunicating such things to its elite athletes.

I understand that the Atheltics NZ is allowing athletes up to 8 July 2012 in which to register qualifying performances for London. While I accept that this is good and generous for those athletes that are still seeking a qualifying mark it is very distracting for athletes like Gill and Newdick. In events where an athlete has already met the NZ standard but not the IAAF A standard then I think the cut-off date should be earlier for that event - say 1 June 2012. This then allows the athletes with the already proven performance history to focus their training for London and not have to be distracted by the threat of maybe havingto make a last minute change in training regime.

For example, while it is unlikley, what if Tom Walsh throws 20.40m on 8 July 2012 cut off date?

Jacko Gill would have no chance to respond with a performance and Walsh could say he should be selected because he has the longest throw. The selectors would probabvly still select Jacko but then Walsh would feel aggrieved.

Oh well, I guess at the end of the day nothing really changes. NZ (and most countries) all have these selection dilemmas going into every Olympics.
Tuariki

Postby bushop » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:07 pm

Tuariki wrote:I have no problem with what we now know to be the full selection criteria for London 2012. It is just that Athletics NZ needs to learn to be better at communicating such things to its elite athletes.
Amen

Tuariki wrote:For example, while it is unlikely, what if Tom Walsh throws 20.40m... ?
This is one of two unanswered questions.
The other is... does Athletics NZ send someone who has hit "B" Standard but not the "Athletics NZ" Standard? Do they fill all the spots they possibly can?
bushop

Postby Flumpy » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:54 am

bushop wrote:Athletics: Why Jacko Gill quit
5:30 AM Sunday Apr 8, 2012
"At the heart of the Gill saga is said to be Athletics NZ's inability to make Gill and his family feel valued enough....

I think this basically sums up the whole conflama. If it hadn't been selection they would have found something else to complain about.
Flumpy

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:15 pm

My impression is that this is way too much of a soap opera and also that Gill is semi-our of control. His training process is one that seems likely to result in unnecessary problems both from trying to ramp up very quickly rather than build over a longer period and to risk traumatic injury from doing unnecessarily dangerous training and doing so, in part, because he has an audience (that is at least implicitly cheering him on).
26mi235

Postby norunner » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:36 pm

Why doesn't Gill simply throw the A standard of 20.50m and be done with it? Many people seem to think that 21m are no problem for him, so 20.50 should be easy and then there would be no discussion. And why does he need to know now where is is going to start? He is so far ahead of the other juniors, he would win Barcelona 2-3m ahead of the competition even if he concentrated on London. David Storls coach said David will compete at the european championships a month before London, but they consider it nothing more than a regular meeting. Gill should be able to do the same for Barcelona and London.
The way i see it, currently Gill is a big talent, nothing more. So was Mykyta Nesterenko, so was Obea Moore. I wonder if people made the same fuss about Nesterenko four years ago when he threw the mens discus over 65m at the age of 17.
norunner

Postby bushop » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:04 pm

Editorial: Olympic shambles a disgrace
Grant Harding | Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:36
"In all seriousness, how could they treat this brilliant, dedicated young man so shabbily when Olympic blazers have been given to far inferior athletes through the years. Did they not remember that a young Valerie Adams went to the Athens Olympics in 2004 before her Beijing triumph four years later?"
bushop

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:02 pm

Brilliant? Where did that descriptor come from and what is the non-standard use of the term mean? He strikes me as a number of things, but brilliant is not remotely one of them.
26mi235

Postby Gabriella » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:03 am

That NZ editorial made me chuckle. Athletics NZ may have messed up, but I would hope their intention was/is to protect him and help prolong his career. If it is personal then that is a shame; if it is ineptitude then that is just plain funny.

I agree with norunner. He should win the Juniors with his eyes closed, in his sleep, backwards. He should just wait to see whether another athlete get's the qualifying or go for the A standard. And if, come to the deadline, he still isn't selected, then so be it. He's 17, this isn't like it's his last chance for Olympic Glory.

The more I read about him and his family set-up, the more I no likey. Which is wrong because I've never met the boy and shouldn't believe everything I read. But I just find the arrogance coming out of the camp nauseating. In some ways I hope that B standard Tom fella throws the A standard now, especially the way the poor guy has been put down.

Mr J Gill; please concentrate on your training; do not do silly night-time lifting sessions by yourself; take your foot off the gas a little and think about your long term career. You are extremely talented but that will count for nothing if you ruin your body at 17.
Gabriella

Postby mump boy » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:20 am

Gabriella wrote:That NZ editorial made me chuckle. Athletics NZ may have messed up, but I would hope their intention was/is to protect him and help prolong his career. If it is personal then that is a shame; if it is ineptitude then that is just plain funny.

I agree with norunner. He should win the Juniors with his eyes closed, in his sleep, backwards. He should just wait to see whether another athlete get's the qualifying or go for the A standard. And if, come to the deadline, he still isn't selected, then so be it. He's 17, this isn't like it's his last chance for Olympic Glory.

The more I read about him and his family set-up, the more I no likey. Which is wrong because I've never met the boy and shouldn't believe everything I read. But I just find the arrogance coming out of the camp nauseating. In some ways I hope that B standard Tom fella throws the A standard now, especially the way the poor guy has been put down.

Mr J Gill; please concentrate on your training; do not do silly night-time lifting sessions by yourself; take your foot off the gas a little and think about your long term career. You are extremely talented but that will count for nothing if you ruin your body at 17.

This ^

That editorial makes no sense, he has taken himself out of consideration, it's not the federation refusing to select him, he just had to wait a few more months for the nod along with everyone else with a B standard.

When Valerie got selected in 04 she was 19 and a senior, not 17 and had been ranked 14th in the world the year before. The A standard was 18.55 and she had thrown 18.96 in February, there is no comparison.
mump boy

Postby jjimbojames » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:27 am

There's a lot in that piece the doesn't make sense IMO - but there we go!

Long story short, if he doesn't go to London, it will be through his own choice, as NZ will select him closer to the time if he wants to go. That said, I can see another scenario where they don't select him based on him saying he wasn't going, and then he gets upset that they didn't select him, as he wanted to go really, and felt they should show how important and special he is by selecting him anyway, and letting him make the choice :roll:

This situation should have been handled better by all parties though
jjimbojames

Postby mal » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:04 am

Watch the whining in NZ start when he moves countries. Or looks like doing it. I am sure Quatar would love him.

And there seems to be a lot of people tangential to the event and the boy who seem to be disappointed in him more because he doesn't meet their expectations rather than his own.

He may eventually crash and burn, but I hope he sticks with his own convention.

There is a reason T&F is a failing sport. There are not enough people like Jacko Gill. And too many old farts who want to preserve the status quo. Or take the path long traveled.

It seems there are really few successful athletes who remain in T&F. Its usually the average athletes who love the sport, but may not have instinct for true ballsout achievement.

So question - how many 'nsults' my diatribe? :mrgreen:

Discuss.
mal

Postby gibson » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:58 am

many a thanks to GH for posting NZ articles relating to jacko gill.

the issue here is ...

the organization vs the purpose of the organization.

track and field fans know this. the ENEMY of the athletics associations no matter where.... is the top athlete and their coach.

it is an oxymoron to be sure, but this is the case.
from bekele, to lydiard, to prefontaine.
the non talents in the associations, the can't do people, instruct the how to do people.

the good people avoid the organization on the account that they don't like to livearound bullshit people.

the new paradigm is for the good people to speak out, just like jacko has.
get some balls, and speak out.

enough.
gibson

Postby Tuariki » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:49 am

And from TODAYS TOP HEADLINES the Jacko selection saga is put in perspective when one considers the dilemma of being one of the world's top 10k runners but unfortunate to be a Kenyan.

[b]DAILY NATION - April10, 2012 - The pre-trials for the national 10,000m men’s team for the London Olympic Games due for Tuesday next week at the Nyayo National Stadium will only feature 31 athletes with A Standard qualifying times Athletics Kenya has said.

Even though 46 athletes with A and B Standard qualifying times had been short-listed for the national camp that has been going on in Eldoret, those with A Standard times of 27:45.00 have received the green light to battle it out at the pre-trials.

Consequently, 15 athletes with B Standard times of 28:05.00 have been excluded from the pre-trials where 15 athletes will be picked for the final trials that will be held during Diamond League’s Prefontaine Classic on June 2 in Eugene, United States.[/b]

And so at the end of the day jimbojames is right - if Jacko doesn't go to London it will be because Jacko has made the conscious decision not to go. Although Athletics NZ has somewhat cocked up their selection processes it is equally clear they want to select, and intend to select, Jacko for London - if Jacko relents (backs down).

As I said earlier it is probably best that he just get on with the job of winning at Barcelona, hopefully throwing a WJR and then going out a few days later and blasting 21 with the 7.26.
Having seen him throw a legitimate 20.75m in warming upforhis eventual 20.38m I feel confident 21m is within the realms of reality.
Tuariki

Postby Grasshopper » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:49 pm

bushop wrote:
leoesharkey wrote:The all-time junior list just doesn't cover some or most of the greatest junior putters ever!
Would you agree that most of the top high school shot putters (12 pound) have not become world class shot putters with the 7kg ball?

I'd be curious to see statistics on what percentage of top (USA) high school shot putters have given up the sport (or relegated it to 2nd priority) after high school in favor of college football. I'd guess the percentage is rather high. My point being that the lack of continued success by American SP'ers after high schools is very likely more a function of culture rather than technique, training, or anything to do with the unique 12lb shot.
Grasshopper

Postby bushop » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:49 pm

Grasshopper wrote:
bushop wrote:
leoesharkey wrote:The all-time junior list just doesn't cover some or most of the greatest junior putters ever!
Would you agree that most of the top high school shot putters (12 pound) have not become world class shot putters with the 16-pound ball?
My point being that the lack of continued success by American SP'ers after high schools is very likely more a function of culture rather than technique, training, or anything to do with the unique 12lb shot.
To a certain extent the event(s) are so different. The 12-pound ball can be thrown well by smaller, quicker athletes who cannot handle the bigger ball. When one moves to the 16 pound ball you need a certain about of strength to go along with the speed.
bushop

Postby Tuariki » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:51 pm

bushop wrote:
Grasshopper wrote:
bushop wrote:
Would you agree that most of the top high school shot putters (12 pound) have not become world class shot putters with the 16-pound ball?
My point being that the lack of continued success by American SP'ers after high schools is very likely more a function of culture rather than technique, training, or anything to do with the unique 12lb shot.
To a certain extent the event(s) are so different. The 12-pound ball can be thrown well by smaller, quicker athletes who cannot handle the bigger ball. When one moves to the 16 pound ball you need a certain about of strength to go along with the speed.

While your point is no doubt correct I would have to agree that the main reason for top USA high school shot putters not progressing to the top of the senior ranks is because the majority are also football players who aspire to the fame and riches of the NFL which is something beyond what the world of international shot puting can offer.

If it wasn't for the NFL one can only imagine what Michael Carter might have achieved. Not withstanding the amazing achievements of Jacko the bench mark to chase after is still Carter's 81' 3 1/2" high school 12lb record.
Tuariki

Postby bushop » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:33 pm

Tuariki wrote:
Grasshopper wrote:
bushop wrote:
Would you agree that most of the top HS SPers have not become world class shot putters with the 16-pound ball?
...the lack of continued success by American SP'ers after HS is likely more a function of culture...
... I would have to agree that the main reason for top USA high school shot putters not progressing... is because the majority are also football players who aspire to... the NFL.
Agreed... and the NBA?
bushop

Postby Tuariki » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:38 pm

bushop wrote:Agreed... and the NBA?

Wonder how far Shaq and Wilt Chamberlain could have thrown the shot?
Tuariki

Postby Per Andersen » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:34 pm

jjimbojames wrote:

No doubt! This so called higher NZ standard of 20.30 probably just means that Athletics NZ was unaware that the IAAF "A' Standard was 20.50.

Gill should just get over it and attempt to get the A by June. Why did he need to be pre selected?
Who else on the world scene is pre selected? Not Bolt and Blake.
Per Andersen

Postby leoesharkey » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:58 am

Wilt was a keen shotputter I beleive and followed throwing as a fan..

The History Mum Boy is worth knowing, what would Matson have done with a 6kg in the early 1960's when he was a teenager? he hadn't started lifting and was a speed thrower, he might have thrown it farther than Storl has done almost fifty years later...That's talent!
leoesharkey

Postby leoesharkey » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:00 am

If throwing well, Jacko and family should reconsider and go to the Olympics.
leoesharkey

Postby bushop » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:36 pm

Per Andersen wrote:Who else on the world scene is pre selected? Not Bolt and Blake.
Four New Zealanders were pre-selected. That is what started this row... when Gill was not included in the selection when fout with the Oly "A" Standard were.
bushop

Postby gibson » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:33 pm

Per Andersen wrote:
jjimbojames wrote:

No doubt! This so called higher NZ standard of 20.30 probably just means that Athletics NZ was unaware that the IAAF "A' Standard was 20.50.

Gill should just get over it and attempt to get the A by June. Why did he need to be pre selected?
Who else on the world scene is pre selected? Not Bolt and Blake.

on the surface, this is a very good line of reasoning.

except for the fact that we are talking about the new zealand selection process...
and the fact that athletics nz has been jerking gill around at every turn...= phantom fouls, not allowed at the national senior champs, while insinuating that they're somehow part of his success.

realize that you are recommending cowarding. saying f-you to retard organizations and influencing their demise... this opine = it is much better to take a stand than any silly olympic games..... and be subservient to further bull the rest of your carear.

if i were jacko, i'd look to mac wilkins for advice, he was in the same boat and had a similar non-tolerance of knuckle heads...

see below=link the grand immortalization of mac here by the dodgy and incompetent ustaf, again using the athletes success to legitimize themselves, while getting in the way of the athlete all the way along.
http://www.usatf.org/halloffame/TF/showBio.asp?HOFIDs=182
gibson

Postby Powell » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:42 pm

gibson wrote:and the fact that athletics nz has been jerking gill around at every turn...= phantom fouls, not allowed at the national senior champs, while insinuating that they're somehow part of his success.

He WAS allowed to compete at the nat'l champs; the federation gave him an exemption. As for phantom fouls, even if they really happened (I haven't seen any videos, so I'm withholding judgment), what does it have to do with Athletics NZ? It's not the federation's chairman who calls fouls at national meets, is it?
Powell

Postby mump boy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:53 am

Why should a National Federation have to bow down to the whims of a teenager and his parents ??

He has been treated exactly the same as everyone else in his position yet somehow managed to spin the whole story so it's about how hard done by he is :roll:
mump boy

Postby Powell » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:10 am

mump boy wrote:Why should a National Federation have to bow down to the whims of a teenager and his parents ??

He has been treated exactly the same as everyone else in his position yet somehow managed to spin the whole story so it's about how hard done by he is :roll:

Exactly.

The feeling I get from all these stories is that, as huge as Gill's talent is, his ego is about 5 times as big.
Powell

Postby mump boy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:01 am

Powell wrote:
mump boy wrote:Why should a National Federation have to bow down to the whims of a teenager and his parents ??

Exactly.

The feeling I get from all these stories is that, as huge as Gill's talent is, his ego is about 5 times as big.

exactly and on that note i'm going to stop talking about him
Last edited by mump boy on Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mump boy

Postby Tuariki » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:16 pm

mump boy wrote:
Powell wrote:

Exactly.

exactly and on that note i'm going to stop tailing about him

What ego are you guys talking about? Except your own!!

Let's be clear all of the stories and talking and the rest of the blah blah blah's have been generated by the likes of all of us ancient retired TnF nutters.

Jacko has not made any public criticsms against Athletics NZ. Those criticisms have come from the likes of people like me, media reporters, former prominent NZ athletes etc. This storm in a tea cup (made into a tea pot by those of us who enjoy posting our rants on this TnF bloggers forum) was prompted by Athletics NZ failure to establish clear selection criteria for NZ; and their subsequent failure to convery those selection criteria prior to announcing the first batch of athletes.

Jacko merely stated, through his Dad, that he had decided to forgo the opportunity to compete in London. His Dad explained that his son was disillusioned with Atheltics NZ. And why wouldn't he be.
- Athletics NZ passes a rule that bans him from competing in the NZ senior nationals
- Athletics NZ announces his B standard thrown is not good enough - he must throw 20.30m
- He throws 20.30m
- 3 months later Athletics NZ announces it is not good to be selected in the first batch

I have nothing against the criteria Athletics NZ have finally decided on. The criteria are logical given the IAAF A and B standards that have to be complied with. If Athletics NZ had made their selection criteria clear a year ago we wouldn't have had the problem we now have.

Mump Boy and Powell think Jacko is too big for his boots with an over blown ego. Powell thinks Jacko has no right to be upset over the age restriction for the NZ nationals senior division because Athletics NZ said they would give him an excemption if he applied.

Why should NZ's national record holder for the senior shot, ranked 2nd in all of the Commonwealth and 30th in all of the world have to go cap in hand to ask for an exemption?

This is not an IAAF rule - it is something a bunch of dorks in NZ Athletics Admin dreamed up all by themselves. I can just see the Ethiopian Athletics Admin asking Athletics NZ for permission to plagiarize this brilliant piece of adminstrative jurisprdence so that they can impose similar restrictions on Mohammed Aman.

Athletics NZ officials say they did this at the request of the clubs in order to protect the athletes. Protect them from what? The demi-Gods of Athletics NZ sitting atop Mt Cook (Mt Aorangi for the politically correct) say that "You can compete all year long in the senior shot all through NZ, any where overseas, in the Olympics even; but my God you are at such grave risk to your health,to your future, if after all of that we allow you to compete in the NZ senior nationals. Be thankful young man that we have done this geat thing - just to protect you from your own brilliance".

And then these great visionaries, looking down on the populace from their thrones atop Mt Cook, admiring their legislative handiwork, notice that the great unwashed public think these self appointed demi-Gods are a compete bunch of idiots for passing such legislative wisdom. "Ah but wait", they tell us "There is more - we didn't really mean that this rule should apply to Jacko Gill. If he climbs up Mt Cook to the base of our godly thrones and begs us to grant him an exemption, we will probably in our collective wisdom grant him that exemption. After all we demi-Gods want to be loved by our worshippers and it appears our worshippers are having unloving thoughts about us at the moment."

And of course none of the clubs are sticking up their hands admitting to their roles in demanding this masterpiece of athletics legislation.

And of course, I also wish they had had this rule in place in 1969 when I first competed in the NZ national seniors as a 17 year old. Because I am sure I must have suffered somehow since then because of I was not protected from those dangers. The main danger being that I got my arse kicked by Dave Norris and Bob Thomas (both 26 foot long jumpers back then off grass).

And finally, Jacko says very little to the media directly (and I am not counting social media where he appears to be like all other teeen agers who seem to spill their guts on their every topic imaginable). When he has spoken to the media Jacko has always been polite and gracious.

Is he disullusioned? clearly

Is he right to be disillusioned- in my opinion it is very yes.

is he allowed to decide to forgo the Olympics- yes,of course he is.

And does this mean we who have nothing better to do can write pages and pages of comments - yes.

And what other 16/17 year old who has never been to a world senior champs or Olympics ever generated so much coverage, so much interest.
Tuariki

Postby mal » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:59 pm

mump boy wrote:
Powell wrote:

Exactly.

exactly and on that note i'm going to stop tailing about him

Thank God.

I'd had enough of your tripe.
mal

Postby Dave » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:27 pm

Quick question, are there other junior men throwing the shot this year or is Gill it?
Dave

Postby leoesharkey » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:11 pm

Good point, I wish Jacko well, and Tom Walsh well who has spoken well about jacko and the athletics people and seems a good bloke. Other Juniors, what about Kristoff in Poland and mr Brahems who has done 70 feet so far?
leoesharkey

PreviousNext