Indoor 400 Hurdles


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Indoor 400 Hurdles

Postby RichC » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:33 am

Last year in some of the European indoor meets they started to run the indoor 400 Hurdles. Would anyone know where the specifics of hurdle placement are for the race?

Thanks,
Rich
RichC
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:18 pm

Re: Indoor 400 Hurdles

Postby guru » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:45 am

guru
 
Posts: 10265
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Strava, racking KOMs https://tinyurl.com/qf2ntch

Re: Indoor 400 Hurdles

Postby dunedine » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:15 pm

A British international hurdler was asking me recently whether there is a chance that the 400mh could be included in major indoor events in future. Does anyone know if there is?
dunedine
 
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:46 am

Re: Indoor 400 Hurdles

Postby gh » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:37 am

The IAAF quit staging the 200 as a championship event because it's basically impossible to run a fair race indoors. Same problem would apply to the 400H.
gh
 
Posts: 46295
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Indoor 400 Hurdles

Postby Marlow » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:44 am

gh wrote:The IAAF quit staging the 200 as a championship event because it's basically impossible to run a fair race indoors. Same problem would apply to the 400H.

Zackly. The guy in the outside lane doesn't have to run uphill at the start and has a much wider turn to negotiate. Lane 1 is a HUGE disadvantage.
Marlow
 
Posts: 21076
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Indoor 400 Hurdles

Postby dj » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:03 am

Marlow wrote:
gh wrote:The IAAF quit staging the 200 as a championship event because it's basically impossible to run a fair race indoors. Same problem would apply to the 400H.

Zackly. The guy in the outside lane doesn't have to run uphill at the start and has a much wider turn to negotiate. Lane 1 is a HUGE disadvantage.


I'm not certain there's an advantage for lane 1 in an indoor 400m hurdles race. Lane 1 is relatively flat. But how would you like to go over the 9th or 10th hurdle while running uphill?!
dj
 
Posts: 6198
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: Indoor 400 Hurdles

Postby Marlow » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:13 am

dj wrote:how would you like to go over the 9th or 10th hurdle while running uphill?!

That's just in the outdoor race. The last two hurdles are indeed uphill, and what really made me mad was that the the 9th hurdle is 42" and the 10th is 48"!! :evil:
Marlow
 
Posts: 21076
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bushop, georgebi, MSNbot Media and 15 guests