US Champs Predictions

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

US Champs Predictions

Postby Donley » Thu May 29, 2003 2:45 pm

Any chance we will see some US champs predictions in the next few days. It is only a week after NCAA's.
Donley

Re: US Champs Predictions

Postby gh » Thu May 29, 2003 3:10 pm

T&FN set will go up in the week after the Regionals are finished. Concentrate, ADD boy! :-)
gh

Postby Donley » Sat Jun 07, 2003 2:47 pm

Since ever so witty GH slammed me with "ADD boy" I feel compelled to point out that the week after regionals is pretty much over. (:
Donley

Postby gh » Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:31 pm

Sorry if you feel "slammed." No offense intended. We decided to wait until we had the Oracle results out of the way, and the USATF formcharts will go up Monday morning.
gh

Postby bhall » Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:44 am

They're on the website now. Go to the front page and see The Latest section.
bhall

Postby tafnut » Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:09 pm

It's time for T&FN to bring back the Prediction contests - NCAA - USATF - WC's. Top three in each and combined. C'mon boys, pony up sumpin for us prodigious prognosticators.
tafnut

Postby Trinity » Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:55 pm

Well here are my predictions for the sprints/hurdles:

100m:
Montgomery, Gatlin, Miller
White, Gaines, Edwards

200m:
Gatlin, Johnson, Capel
White, Colander-Richardson, Lee

400m:
Washington, Brew, Harrison
Miles-Clark, Richards, Washington

HH:
Johnson, Trammell, Wade
Devers, McKelvy, Adams

IH:
Taylor, Harris, Jackson
Glover, Demus, Taylor
Trinity

Postby Bergman » Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:24 am

The womens 400 looks as thin as it has in years. We've got an 18 year old as a likely winner. What happeaned to Michelle Collins? Is she still injured from indoor worlds? Why is Collander Richardson only running the 200? Our 4 by 4 is going to have a hard time even medaling in Paris
Bergman

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:23 am

Colander-Richardson is running the shorter sprints from now on. She will be running the 100m and 200m. Those are the events that she will definitely excel in. The 400m will definitely take a hit in the US this year.

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:15 pm

and so will our chances of winning the relay in the worlds

Postby Bergman » Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:12 am

With the womens sprints so deep and the 400 so thin right now, why would a 49. runner like Collender Richardson move down. It seems to me some of the other ladies should start thinking about moving up if they want to get to Athens. (at least on a relay)
Bergman

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:56 am

I am her husband. She moved down because she was NEVER a 400m runner in high school or college. She only ran the 400m because she had a quad injury coming out of college and she could not build up for the sprints properly. She has a lot of talent in the 400m, but it mentally drains her to run it. She's good at it, but doesn't like it and will not run it. I feel she has finally found her events in the 100m and 200m. She will do well, and of course she may run a 400m every now and then and then run on the relay. With Michelle coming back next year, Jearl, Sanya and a few others, we should be ok for Athens.

Postby blacklily » Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:23 pm

>Well here are my predictions for the
>sprints/hurdles:

100m:
Montgomery, Gatlin,
>Miller
White, Gaines, Edwards

200m:
Gatlin,
>Johnson, Capel
White, Colander-Richardson,
>Lee

No Allyson Felix in the 2? World leader, has done 22.11A/22.51/22.52? Will be well rested, meanwhile Lee will be fatigued from a ton of races at NCAA champs just days prior. I'll go out on a limb here, Felix wins the title. Won't be easy as White is rounding into shape & we're tempted to discount Felix's age, but if White doesn't start very well she won't beat Felix on that straight. Colander-Richardson is a wild card, since she hasn't run an outdoor 2 yet.

White will strongly challenge for the 100 title, but I don't see her beating Gaines on her old school's track. I'd put her 2nd. Gatlin is a wild card, but hasn't raced so he'll be too rusty to make the 100 team IMO.
blacklily

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:08 am

men 200m we keep dissing Doc Patton

Postby Bergman » Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:45 am

If any race at nationals is deeper or more excting then the womens 200, it'll be the Mens 200. The women have, as I see it, five athletes who could be medal threats at Paris (White, Felix, Jenkins, Collender Richardson and Miller). The men are so deep that a possible Paris Medalist could end up in lane 1 at trials.
Let's hope for a warm day, a 1.9 breeze and great times.
Bergman

Postby blacklily » Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:07 pm

I haven't been this excited about the 200 -- for once, more than the 100 -- at nationals in a few years. Should be hot races!
blacklily

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:11 pm

<No Allyson Felix in the 2? World leader, has done 22.11A/22.51/22.52? Will be well rested, meanwhile Lee will be fatigued from a ton of races at NCAA champs just days prior. I'll go out on a limb here, Felix wins the title. Won't be easy as White is rounding into shape & we're tempted to discount Felix's age, but if White doesn't start very well she won't beat Felix on that straight. Colander-Richardson is a wild card, since she hasn't run an outdoor 2 yet.>

felix is not rested at all. prior to the home depot meet she competed in a high school meet less than 356 hrs before. i dont think lee will make the team, the lsu coaches run her to the ground and got what they wanted the team title.
i think white has the most experience and will win. latasha jenkins, colander richarsdon and miller (if she runs) are strong contenders. felix will compete well, but when was the last time a high schooler made the team in an individual sprint event...

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:12 pm

<felix is not rested at all. prior to the home depot meet she competed in a high school meet less than 356 hrs before>

i meant 36 hrs, neverthelss she is not rested at all

Postby blacklily » Sun Jun 15, 2003 5:11 pm

>felix is not rested at all. prior to the
>home depot meet she competed in a high school
>meet less than 356 hrs before. i dont think lee
>will make the team, the lsu coaches run her to
>the ground and got what they wanted the team
>title.
i think white has the most experience
>and will win. latasha jenkins, colander
>richarsdon and miller (if she runs) are strong
>contenders. felix will compete well, but when was
>the last time a high schooler made the team in an
>individual sprint event...

Felix last raced on June 7. By rest, I mostly meant Felix will only focus on 200 at USA champs. Meanwhile, White & Lee will also run the 100. Not to mention Lee's ton of races at the recent NCAA champs, when USA champs is just days from now.

White's experience sure didn't help her when Felix jammed her up twice, first at USA Indoor Champs -- the last time a high schooler made the team in an individual sprint event -- & then in Mexico City...
blacklily