World's Wildcard(s)•Diamond Champ•Olympic gold•Regionals

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

World's Wildcard(s)•Diamond Champ•Olympic gold•Regionals

Postby bushop » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:27 pm

What do you think about expanding the 'wildcard' entry into the World Championships to include the last Olympic Champion?

- Olympic champion (2008)
• World champion (2009)

women
100 metres
-• Shelly-Ann Fraser Image
200 metres
- Veronica Campbell-Brown Image
Allyson Felix Image
400 metres
- Christine Ohuruogu Image
Sanya Richards Image
800 metres
- Pamela Jelimo Image
Caster Semenya Image
1500 metres
- Nancy Jebet Lagat Image
Maryam Yusuf Jamal Image
5000 metres
- Tirunesh Dibaba Image
Vivian Cheruiyot Image
10,000 metres
- Tirunesh Dibaba Image
Linet Chepkwemoi Masai Image
100 metres hurdles
- Dawn Harper Image
Brigitte Foster-Hylton Image
400 metres hurdles
-• Melaine Walker Image
3000 metres steeplechase
- Gulnara Galkina-Samitova Image
Marta Domínguez Image
20 kilometres walk
-• Olga Kaniskina Image
high jump
- Tia Hellebaut Image
Blanka Vlašić Image
pole vault
- Yelena Isinbayeva Image
Anna Rogowska Image
long jump
- Maurren Maggi Image
Brittney Reese Image
triple jump
- Françoise Mbango Etone Image
Yargelis Savigne Image
shot put
-• Valerie Adams Image
discus
- Stephanie Brown Trafton Image
Dani Samuels Image
javelin
- Aksana Miankova Image
Steffi Nerius Image
hammer
- Barbora Špotáková Image
Anita Włodarczyk Image
heptathlon
- Natalya Dobrynska Image
Jessica Ennis Image

men
100 metres
-• Usain Bolt Image
200 metres
-• Usain Bolt Image
400 metres
-• LaShawn Merritt Image
800 metres
- Wilfred Bungei Image
Mbulaeni Mulaudzi Image
1500 metres
- Asbel Kipruto Kiprop Image
Yusuf Saad Kamel Image
5000 metres
-• Kenenisa Bekele Image
10,000 metres
-• Kenenisa Bekele Image
marathon
- Samuel Wanjiru Image
Abel Kirui Image
110 metres hurdles
- Dayron Robles Image
Ryan Brathwaite Image
400 metres hurdles
- Angelo Taylor Image
Kerron Clement Image
3000 metres steeplechase
- Brimin Kiprop Kipruto Image
Ezekiel Kemboi Image
20 kilometres walk
-• Valeriy Borchin Image
50 kilometres walk
- Alex Schwazer Image
Sergey Kirdyapkin Image
high jump
- Andrey Silnov Image
Yaroslav Rybakov Image
pole vault
-• Steven Hooker Image
long jump
- Irving Saladino Image PAN
Dwight Phillips Image
triple jump
- Nelson Évora Image
Phillips Idowu Image
shot put
- Tomasz Majewski Image
Christian Cantwell Image
discus
- Gerd Kanter Image
Robert Harting Image
javelin
-• Andreas Thorkildsen Image
hammer
-• Primož Kozmus Image
decathlon
- Bryan Clay Image
Trey Hardee Image
Last edited by bushop on Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.
bushop

Re: Olympic Champion given Worlds wildcard [?]

Postby Daisy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:59 pm

I am the IAAF representative from San Marino and this idea stinks. There is less chance of our athlete progressing from the preliminary rounds under this new rule. You can count on me voting against this.
Daisy

Postby Daisy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:03 pm

I am the IAAF representative from Singapore, this idea stinks.
Daisy

Postby Daisy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:04 pm

etc.
Daisy

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:05 pm

I think that the year after the Olympics is should be the OG champ, not the WC champ from two years before. The rationale is that they want the marque players in; that certainly argues for being more recent and taking the one with the bigger prize in a marque sense.
26mi235

Postby Ned Ryerson » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:13 pm

26mi235 wrote:I think that the year after the Olympics is should be the OG champ, not the WC champ from two years before.

That'll be tough break for a guy like Si Kuan Wong, should he win worlds this year but then of course isn't allowed to compete at the Olympics next year.
Ned Ryerson

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:27 pm

Or Gatlin/Merritt/Dehiba, ...?
26mi235

Postby AS » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:42 pm

Beyond an occasional USAian, Kenyan and (maybe) Russian (HJer), how many is this really gonna add into the mix?

As Daisy has pointed out (and GH multiple times before), this looks like the "big countries getting more" to most delegates (e.g. 5 Kenyans in MSteeple, USAians in M400mH, Ruskis in MHJ), as for even the small countries with wildcards they are unlikely to have more folks to bring along as extras (e.g. Australia doesn't have 4 female discus throwers or 4 male pole vaulters to bring... indeed, not even one more...likewise NZ with female SPers, Sth Africa with 800m runners etc).

Another 'pro' argument would be that the wildcards wouldn't need to chase qualifying marks, but that holds very little merit...we want/need them to be in shape...
AS

Postby lonewolf » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:46 pm

AS wrote: ..we want/need them to be in shape...

Yep, the wild cards would have to demonstrate competition fitness.
lonewolf

Postby Flumpy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:58 pm

If the reigning Olympic Champion isn't good enough to qualify by right why would anyone want to ensure their participation with a wild card.

As is mentioned above there are only about 3 countries in the world that this would benefit and if they have 3 people better qualified to compete then so be it.
Flumpy

Postby Gabriella » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:22 am

Perhaps every continental champion could get an automatic place? In principle I'm not against reigning Olympic and World Champions being invited though. They've earned it.

I agree that it's only a few countries this would actually benefit. But being the 4th ranked Russian HJer, 4th ranked American sprinter or, hell, 8th ranked Kenyan steeplechaser must be very tough, especially when the public is so against transferring nationality. What do you do? Accept that you might never reach a major championships and live on the circuit, beating lesser athletes who get to get to the final at a majors?

I don't see an issue with introducing some sort of quota, where bigger countries (population...or with many in the top 100) perhaps get to send an extra athlete. Otherwise a system where the worlds top 10 or top 20 in each event get to go, regardless of nationality. The bigger nations could still be given a higher quote (say, 5) but this is included in the top 20 invites eg, if the US has 4 in the top 20 they can select another, but if they have 7 in the top 20 that's it, they can't select anymore, they stick with that 7.

Anyway, off topic!!
Gabriella

Postby The Captain » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:18 am

There is provision for area champions:
http://www.iaaf.org/wch11/standards/index.html
The Captain

Postby gruber » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:13 am

xxx
Last edited by gruber on Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gruber

Postby Pelpa » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:26 am

Daisy wrote:I am the IAAF representative from Singapore, this idea stinks.

Daisy wrote:I am the IAAF representative from San Marino and this idea stinks. There is less chance of our athlete progressing from the preliminary rounds under this new rule. You can count on me voting against this.

I am a track fan and both your track teams stink, even worst your attention given to track stinks, as a matter of fact your voting rights should be taken away. I think both your votes should be given to the fans.

I, however, like your Badminton and Squash programmes, you give them lots of support.
Pelpa

Postby 7-sided » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:08 am

gruber wrote:It will be simplier if USA change their rules of qualifications and not the world to change just to please few americans. And it will be in vain as always someone will miss
And actually I’m not sure if having a lot of representatives from the same country in the same event is a good for the event. It’s so hard from steeplers outside Kenia to exist and to be motivated. You add another Kenian in WC and it’s the death of the steeples in 20 more

That's silly! This "rule" doesn't just affect Americans! It affects ALL of the countries that actually spend time developing athletes - something that the San Marino's, Tuvulu and Equitorial Guinea's of the world CAN'T say. Jamaica will leave sprinters, Bahamas will leave sprinters, Russia will leave all manner of throwers, jumpers, distance and sprinters, Finland will leave Javeliners, Cuba will leave triple jumpers... why? So some 30+ y/o San Marino clown can run 11.80 in the 100m? It's the F****** Olympics*! If the best in your country can only run 11.80 then you probably shouldn't have a country.

*made up example; real example is the NR for Tuvulu in Beijing 100m ... 11.45 (-1.3). And, he was a junior. Countries should NOT be able to use the Olympics or World Championships for development meets.
7-sided

Postby gh » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:09 am

Such a proposal, methinks, is suprisingly time-dependent. As in, for Berlin '09 it would have been a very good selling point for the IAAF/LOC to be able to "guarantee" that virtually every Beijing winner was there. Other than few retirees.

But now, 3 years later, in a sporting world that moves very quickly, any Beijing champion who isn't going to be on his nation's team anyway, is more likely than not not particularly worthy of getting a free pass, and isn't likely to be much of a selling point to the public.

(I could easily be proved wrong if somebody wants to crossmatch the original list against who will and won't be there, of course. Among actives, that is)
gh

Postby Powell » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:17 am

The Captain wrote:There is provision for area champions:
http://www.iaaf.org/wch11/standards/index.html

But it's not a wild card. They are considered to have achieved the A standard even if they haven't, but they still have to be selected by their national feds, and they don't increase the quota of participants per country.
Powell

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:32 am

gh wrote:Such a proposal, methinks, is suprisingly time-dependent. As in, for Berlin '09 it would have been a very good selling point for the IAAF/LOC to be able to "guarantee" that virtually every Beijing winner was there. Other than few retirees.

But now, 3 years later, in a sporting world that moves very quickly, any Beijing champion who isn't going to be on his nation's team anyway, is more likely than not not particularly worthy of getting a free pass, and isn't likely to be much of a selling point to the public.

(I could easily be proved wrong if somebody wants to crossmatch the original list against who will and won't be there, of course. Among actives, that is)

Again, I think that for the WC that follows the OGs, they should use the OG champ, not the WC champ from two years earlier. I doubt that any of the little countries would care much about that difference and it brings, in general, a higher profile.
26mi235

Postby Daisy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:37 am

Pelpa wrote:
Daisy wrote:I am the IAAF representative from Singapore, this idea stinks.

Daisy wrote:I am the IAAF representative from San Marino and this idea stinks. There is less chance of our athlete progressing from the preliminary rounds under this new rule. You can count on me voting against this.

I am a track fan and both your track teams stink, even worst your attention given to track stinks, as a matter of fact your voting rights should be taken away. I think both your votes should be given to the fans.

:P :D :mrgreen:
Daisy

Postby Gabriella » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:34 am

gh wrote:Such a proposal, methinks, is suprisingly time-dependent. As in, for Berlin '09 it would have been a very good selling point for the IAAF/LOC to be able to "guarantee" that virtually every Beijing winner was there. Other than few retirees.

bushop's list at the start is a good guide and the majority of those athletes are still active and in decent form. Most elite athletes careers span at least two Olympic Games and most athletes have a few seasons at a similar level (though of course we do get one season wonders) But the point is they should still reach at least the B qualifier mark anyway.

It is a selling point to me and I just have to think back to the women's 100m in Seoul where we saw the 1980 100m Olympic champion (Kondrateyeva), the 1984 100m Olympic champion (Ashford) the 1983 100m world chmapion (Gohr...also '86 Euro champ) and the 1987 World Champion (Gladisch-Moller) all in good form. Add to that the 1982 Commonwealth Games champion (Issajenko) the 100m WR holder (Griffith-Joyner) the 200m WR holder (Drechsler) and the world indoor champion over 60m (Cooman) and we saw 8 women with gold medals and records battling for a place in the Olympic final. Superb!!
Gabriella

Postby gruber » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:49 am

xxx
Last edited by gruber on Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
gruber

Postby az2004 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:34 am

so, some nation can get 5 guys in an event
az2004

Postby Marlow » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:49 am

gruber wrote:And actually I’m not sure if having a lot of representatives from the same country in the same event is a good for the event. It’s so hard from steeplers outside Kenia to exist and to be motivated. You add another Kenian in WC and it’s the death of the steeples in 20 more countries

This is the first argument I've read that makes sense on why we can't have expanded entries from a single country. I used to want ALL the best in the world there and if that meant 10 Kenya steeplers and a lock on the 5 and 10K from East African nations, so be it. But it would be a HUGE demotivator for up-and-comers around the world to do all the hard training necessary, if they thought their chances went from slim (4 Kenyans in the Steeple) to none (10 Kenyans in the Steeple). T&F NEEDS people from all over trying to be the best.

They are many events where the wealth is spread around the globe, and then there's others with a very small list of nations who can compete for Finals' berths.

So my new wish is that all current OG and WC medalists get byes, but that's it.
Marlow

Postby 7-sided » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:24 am

gruber wrote:
7-sided wrote:So some 30+ y/o San Marino clown can run 11.80 in the 100m? It's the F****** Olympics*! If the best in your country can only run 11.80 then you probably shouldn't have a country.

I actually prefer such country where people are wealthy or intelligent or live in egalitarian society so they don’t need to make sport in very high level (something very unnatural and unhealthy and often mind-numbing, and used more and more for Nationalist Propaganda) and run under 10 (which is also unnatural) as this is the only way to be accepted and have rights and considerations when you’re part of some minority

RIDICULOUS, arrogant and damned elitist! So wealthy, intelligent people from egalitarian countries should be allowed to pollute the competition venues with sub-standard performances because sport is "unnatural and unhealthy and often mind-numbing...and run under 10 (which is unnatural)"? Sarcasm aside we're talking about a person (shudder to call him athlete) who can't run under 11. If that's not celabrating abject failure, then nothing is.

But suppose we used...I don't know... France. Egalite? Check. Hell, it's part of the national motto or something or other. Wealthy? Check. One of the richest countries in the world. Intelligent? We can debate that but I'm gonna say yes for Notre Dame, The Louvre, and Cro-magnon man. Have athletes who unnaturally run under 10 because it is "the only way to be accepted and have rights and considerations when you're part of some minority". (must really suck to be a white guy in France :lol: )
7-sided

Postby Marlow » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:27 am

gruber wrote:I actually prefer such country where people are wealthy or intelligent or live in egalitarian society so they don’t need to make sport in very high level (something very unnatural and unhealthy and often mind-numbing, and used more and more for Nationalist Propaganda) and run under 10 (which is also unnatural) as this is the only way to be accepted and have rights and considerations when you’re part of some minority

This has got to be the weirdest post since MattMarriott left the building!!!
Marlow

Postby Pego » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:41 am

gruber wrote:I actually prefer such country where people are wealthy or intelligent or live in egalitarian society

I know of countries, where some people are wealthy - far from all. Yes, some people are intelligent in all countries - some, mind you. Egalitarian society? Never heard of one. Even Thomas More's Utopia had exclusions, right?
Pego

Postby bushop » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:11 pm

bushop wrote:What do you think about expanding the 'wildcard' entry into the World Championships to include the last Olympic Champion?
• World champion (2009)
women
men
Who are the retirees or also-rans? I can note them on the original list.
bushop

Postby NotSoOrdinary » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:17 pm

Terrible idea. A lot happens in 4 years, which is why I always say:

World Championships Medals > Olympic Games Medals
NotSoOrdinary

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:29 pm

Why not go all the way that the IOC is heading and just let folks buy their way, for 1 million US Dollars, say, into the Olympics. If Americans think Tyson Gay belongs then we could ante up and buy him a lane. If some rich guy wants to run or maybe a ringer for himself, then so be it.

If Nike wants to buy a bunch of spots, great.

If baseball wants to get back into it, fine. Buy a team, at 1 million a player. Buy all the players you want....

Just think if some town has a local hotshot. Well what to do? Have a bake sale and buy that fellow a spot.

The UK thinks Paula belongs in the Olympics? Well that shouldn't be too hard to come up with the dough.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Marlow » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:52 pm

Conor Dary wrote:The UK thinks Paula belongs in the Olympics? Well that shouldn't be too hard to come up with the dough.

Jon would raise that much in a weekend of Paula bake sales!!!
Marlow

Postby Powell » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:52 pm

az2004 wrote:so, some nation can get 5 guys in an event

No, they can't
Powell

Postby 72 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:29 pm

I cannot think of one good reason but certainly bad ones for including the principle of wild cards entry just because you were a Champion in the previous WC/Olympic Games. Athletes are professionals and get their financial rewards directly and indirectly for their winning performances in the WC.

Enough already.!!!

Postby bushop » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:56 pm

What 2008 and 2009 gold medalist were in Daegu? ... and how did they do?

• World champion (2009)

entered
not entered

gold Image
silver Image
bronze Image

women
100 metres
-• Shelly-Ann Fraser Image 4th
200 metres
- Veronica Campbell-Brown Image Image
Allyson Felix Image Image Image
400 metres
- Christine Ohuruogu Image FS
Sanya Richards Image 7th
800 metres
- Pamela Jelimo Image
Caster Semenya Image
1500 metres
- Nancy Jebet Langat Image 23rd
Maryam Yusuf Jamal Image 12th
5000 metres
- Tirunesh Dibaba Image
Vivian Cheruiyot Image Image Image
10,000 metres
- Tirunesh Dibaba Image
Linet Chepkwemoi Masai Image Image
marathon
- Constantina Diṭă-Tomescu Image
Bai Xue Image
100 metres hurdles
- Dawn Harper Image Image
Brigitte Foster-Hylton Image 10th
400 metres hurdles
-• Melaine Walker Image Image
3000 metres steeplechase
- Gulnara Galkina-Samitova Image
Marta Domínguez Image
20 kilometres walk
-• Olga Kaniskina Image Image
high jump
- Tia Hellebaut Image
Blanka Vlašić Image Image
pole vault
- Yelena Isinbayeva Image 6th
Anna Rogowska Image 10th
long jump
- Maurren Maggi Image 11th
Brittney Reese Image Image
triple jump
- Françoise Mbango Etone Image
Yargelis Savigne Image 6th
shot put
-• Valerie Adams Image Image
discus
- Stephanie Brown Trafton Image 5th
Dani Samuels Image 10th
javelin
- Aksana Miankova Image
Steffi Nerius Image
hammer
- Barbora Špotáková Image
Anita Włodarczyk Image
heptathlon
- Natalya Dobrynska Image 5th
Jessica Ennis Image Image

men
100 metres
-• Usain Bolt Image FS
200 metres
-• Usain Bolt Image Image
400 metres
-• LaShawn Merritt Image Image
800 metres
- Wilfred Bungei Image
Mbulaeni Mulaudzi Image
1500 metres
- Asbel Kiprop Image Image
Yusuf Saad Kamel Image 6th in semi
5000 metres
-• Kenenisa Bekele Image DNS
10,000 metres
-• Kenenisa Bekele Image DNF
marathon
- Samuel Wanjiru Image
Abel Kirui Image
110 metres hurdles
- Dayron Robles Image [Image] DQ
Ryan Brathwaite Image 18th
400 metres hurdles
- Angelo Taylor Image 7th
Kerron Clement Image 24th
3000 metres steeplechase
- Brimin Kiprop Kipruto Image Image
Ezekiel Kemboi Image Image
20 kilometres walk
-• Valeriy Borchin Image Image
50 kilometres walk
- Alex SchwazerImage 9th (20k)
Sergey Kirdyapkin Image DNF
high jump
- Andrey Silnov Image
Yaroslav Rybakov Image DNS
pole vault
-• Steven Hooker Image NH
long jump
- Irving Saladino Image 22nd
Dwight Phillips Image Image
triple jump
- Nelson Évora Image
Phillips Idowu Image
shot put
- Tomasz Majewski Image 9th
Christian Cantwell Image 4th
discus
- Gerd Kanter Image Image
Robert Harting Image Image
javelin
-• Andreas Thorkildsen Image Image
hammer
-• Primož Kozmus Image Image
decathlon
- Bryan Clay Image DNS
Trey Hardee Image Image
Last edited by bushop on Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bushop

Postby 26mi235 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:13 pm

Those wanting 'only the best' might not like this, but I think that if they do so, they should limit a country to four entries, although it will not arise too often where a country has winners in both and they are not the same. Interesting that all of the cases involved barriers: 400h, 3000SC, decathlon and HJ. (and all men)

Thanks for the illustrated list.

Of course, the reason is marketing by the IAAF; they want their big names in.
26mi235

Postby bushop » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:40 pm

Olympic chiefs should offer wildcard places so some of the world's best athletes don't miss out at London 2012
It was a reminder that being a potential medallist is not enough to make the British team if you happen to be part of one of the country’s most powerful Olympic sports.
bushop

Postby preston » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:46 am

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/shar ... ndon-2012/
If the International Olympic Committee want the Games to be genuinely about the best athletes in the world, then surely they should offer some extra wildcards for nations who are exceptionally strong in certain events.

Yes, the Olympics should be about involving the entire world, but competing in the greatest show on earth should be about individual ability, not geography.

So, we have here the writer who has been railing against "plastic brits" saying the Games should be about the best athletes? If his thesis for his column is great games equals best athletes and best athletes means no (less) flags, then no flags means considerably fewer Brits. So for the best Games there should be less Brits. Perfect.
preston

Postby odelltrclan » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:06 am

Perhaps the wild card entries for worlds might be better for the most recent world or Olympics, so a 2013 Worlds has the 2012 Olympians with the wild cards and not the 2011 worlds winners. That would be more relevant than allowing Olympians from possibly 3 years ago auto qualifiers.
odelltrclan

Postby bushop » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:48 pm

Free rides for Olympic champions?
Neil Wilson April 4th 2012
"Would it not lend a little romance to the Games if the last Olympic champion of each event who is still active four years later was to be given the opportunity to try again. More pertinently, perhaps, would it not be better for the champion to be challenged and, perhaps, beaten by the next generation in the Olympic pool."
bushop

Postby gh » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:47 pm

you're selectively quoting Wilson there. Note that he subsequently says

<<And just as it was wrong for Coe, so it would be for the likes of Bernard, Trickett and Ma Lin. Tens of thousands work half their young lives to achieve an ambition to be an Olympian. To give anybody a freer ride to a place, even an Olympic champion, would be to devalue the effort.>>
gh

Postby bushop » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:14 pm

gh wrote:you're selectively quoting Wilson there. Note that he subsequently says
<<And just as it was wrong for Coe, so it would be for the likes of Bernard, Trickett and Ma Lin. Tens of thousands work half their young lives to achieve an ambition to be an Olympian. To give anybody a freer ride to a place, even an Olympic champion, would be to devalue the effort.>>
For sure... I don't like to give away the ending. I usually try to share a quote that will encourage a click through from this site, not to make a point. Did (do) I err?
bushop

Next