No US relay pool announcement yet...Why?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: No US relay pool announcement yet...Why?

Postby gm » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:36 pm

From USATF:

Initial Team USA relay pools announced
The following athletes have been chosen for Team USA's initial relay pools leading up to the 2011 IAAF World Outdoor Track & Field Championships in Daegu, South Korea. Per IAAF rules, the pools must include the top four finishers in the men's and women's 100 and 400 meters at the 2011 USA Outdoor Track & Field Championships. Additional athletes were chosen by Team USA’s head coaches for the 2011 World Championships, Vin Lananna and Connie Price-Smith; USATF Relay Coach Jon Drummond; and 2011 Team USA World Championships sprint coaches Thomas Johnson and Danny Williams, with oversight by USATF Chief of Sport Performance Benita Fitzgerald Mosley.

The U.S. 4x100 meter relay teams will train and compete in Lignano, Italy, on July 19. On August 8, USATF will formally submit to the IAAF its full roster for Daegu, including relays pools of 6 athletes for the 4x100 and 4x400m relays - the top four finishers from the USA Outdoor Championships, plus two additional athletes not already on the Team USA roster in other events. Any athlete already on Team USA’s roster in Daegu also is eligible to compete on the relays.

Team USA Relay Pools
Women 4x100 - Miki Barber, Allyson Felix, Marshevet Myers, Carmelita Jeter, La Shauntea Moore, Alexandria Anderson, Jeneba Tarmoh, Shalonda Solomon, Bianca Knight, Jessica Young

Women 4x400 - Lashinda Demus, Francena McCory, Debbie Dunn, Allyson Felix, Sanya Richards-Ross, Jessica Beard, Dee Dee Trotter, Natasha Hastings

Men 4x100 - Trell Kimmons, Mike Rodgers, Justin Gatlin, Walter Dix, Darvis Patton, Ivory Williams, Travis Padgett, Jeffrey Demps, Maurice Mitchell, Jeremy Dodson

Men 4x400 - Tony McQuay, Jeremy Wariner, Angelo Taylor, Bershawn Jackson, Greg Nixon, Jamaal Torrance, Michael Berry, Kerron Clement, Jeshua Anderson
gm

Postby Marlow » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:59 pm

gm wrote:Team USA Relay Pools
Women 4x100 - Miki Barber, Allyson Felix, Marshevet Myers, Carmelita Jeter, La Shauntea Moore, Alexandria Anderson, Jeneba Tarmoh, Shalonda Solomon, Bianca Knight, Jessica Young

Women 4x400 - Lashinda Demus, Francena McCory, Debbie Dunn, Allyson Felix, Sanya Richards-Ross, Jessica Beard, Dee Dee Trotter, Natasha Hastings

Men 4x100 - Trell Kimmons, Mike Rodgers, Justin Gatlin, Walter Dix, Darvis Patton, Ivory Williams, Travis Padgett, Jeffrey Demps, Maurice Mitchell, Jeremy Dodson

Men 4x400 - Tony McQuay, Jeremy Wariner, Angelo Taylor, Bershawn Jackson, Greg Nixon, Jamaal Torrance, Michael Berry, Kerron Clement, Jeshua Anderson

I'm likin' it. Any of the underscored are A-1 World Elite.

I'm feeling

37.50, 2:57.0
41.60, 3:18.0

I see Gold everywhere except m4x1, who will NOT drop the stick, but lose to Jam's 37.30.
Marlow

Postby 26mi235 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:08 pm

gm wrote:From USATF:

The following athletes have been chosen for Team USA's initial relay pools leading up to the 2011 IAAF World Outdoor Track & Field Championships in Daegu, South Korea. Per IAAF rules, the pools must include the top four finishers in the men's and women's 100 and 400 meters at the 2011 USA Outdoor Track & Field Championships.

Is this actually true as written or only true in effect. That is, does the IAAF require these four or do they require that they be the USA team and alternate for the WCs and the USATF has deemed that the top 4 will go. Furthermore, taken literally by itself, Merritt is NOT allowed to run on the relay, although there may be other clauses that add in WC defenders. Also taken literally it might require the pool to include no runners for that four if they do not have the A standard or to take those four regardless who the team is.
26mi235

Postby dincary » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:29 pm

Hey 26: "taken literally by itself, Mr. Merritt IS allowed to run on the relay" Why? Because: "Any athlete already on Team USA’s roster in Daegu also is eligible to compete on the relays."
dincary

Postby vip » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:44 pm

So ... who will be sent home (meaning, didn't make the cut) after the training session in Italy? On the mens and women's side?

And this is a bigger question: Will tweet-happy Bianca be confronted by certain relay pool-mates in Italy? Will her tweets, post-trials, spell doom for her chances of making the 4 x 100 team?
vip

Postby Pego » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:46 pm

I am sure, somebody will ask the powers-that-be for the justification of Merritt's exclusion.
Pego

Postby tandfman » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:54 pm

I'm not sure what the significance of the exclusion is. As has been pointed out, if he's on the team (and USATF has already announced that he will be), he can run on the relay whether he's designated as a member of the pool or not. But of course the same is true of Sanya Richards-Ross, and they did name her as part of the pool. There may be a message there, but it's a bit unclear.
tandfman

Postby GDAWG » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:46 pm

Team USA Relay Pools

No way does Allyson Felix do both the Women's Relays. She'll drop out of either one or both, giving another an opportunity. I don't think Demus does the 4 x 400 either. I'd be surprised if Felix does both relays (she's going to be dead tired by the 4 x 400 relays) and the 200 and 400.

Also, how's Jeshua Anderson's flat 400 rank?

Here's how I see it:

Women's 4 X 100: Jeter, Myers, Solomon, Anderson/Moore/Barber/Tarmoh (one of the four replaces Felix)

Women's 4 x 400: McCorory/Trotter/Hastings (replaces Demus), Dunn, Felix, Richards-Ross

Men's 4 x 100: Rodgers, Gatlin, Dix and Patton

Men's 4 x 400: Wariner, Merritt, Taylor, McQuay, Nixon (if no Merritt)
GDAWG

Postby 26mi235 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:57 pm

dincary wrote:Hey 26: "taken literally by itself, Mr. Merritt IS allowed to run on the relay" Why? Because: "Any athlete already on Team USA’s roster in Daegu also is eligible to compete on the relays."

But does that count as one of the two extra slots -- that is the question in this case.
26mi235

Postby richxx87 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:23 pm

Okay... so what's up with Tyson Gay? Is he still injured, done for the season?
richxx87

Postby ChuiTai » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:56 pm

GDAWG wrote:No way does Allyson Felix do both the Women's Relays. She'll drop out of either one or both, giving another an opportunity. I don't think Demus does the 4 x 400 either. I'd be surprised if Felix does both relays (she's going to be dead tired by the 4 x 400 relays) and the 200 and 400.

Here's how I see it:

Women's 4 X 100: Jeter, Myers, Solomon, Anderson/Moore/Barber/Tarmoh (one of the four replaces Felix)

Women's 4 x 400: McCorory/Trotter/Hastings (replaces Demus), Dunn, Felix, Richards-Ross

Men's 4 x 100: Rodgers, Gatlin, Dix and Patton

Men's 4 x 400: Wariner, Merritt, Taylor, McQuay, Nixon (if no Merritt)

Point taken re. Felix. She will certainly have a few items to consider for this meet. The switch in schedule for the relays didn't help IMO. Of course that could be a mental issue as well (given past comments on event order).

In addition I'd probably consider utilizing Beard before Trotter in either round if necessary.
ChuiTai

Postby gh » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:17 pm

26mi235 wrote:
dincary wrote:Hey 26: "taken literally by itself, Mr. Merritt IS allowed to run on the relay" Why? Because: "Any athlete already on Team USA’s roster in Daegu also is eligible to compete on the relays."

But does that count as one of the two extra slots -- that is the question in this case.

I believe the situation is that you have your relay pool, and anybody else who is in town on the team is also eligible. they're just trying to keep extra bodies away.
gh

Postby Avante » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:36 pm

Gotta go with...

lead off...Rodgers
second...Gatlin
third...Patton
anchor...Dix

Dix being the only one with any chance at all of holding off Powell. Obviously talking about some shabby stick work from the Jama gang.
Avante

Postby westcoasttiger » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:13 pm

Jeff Demps???

Anyone know the story here? Has he decided to skip his senior year of football? Gators won't allow him to skip pre-season practice and 1st game to run as an alternate or even as a guy on the relay. Is this just a way to get him relay experience in Europe in case he chooses track a year from now? Does he know that one year in NFL will exceed his entire career in track if he chooses track over football?
westcoasttiger

Postby GDAWG » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:25 pm

Interesting that all four Men's 400 Meter Hurdlers are in the 4 x 400 relay pool, especially Jeshua Anderson. What exactly is his flat 40 time? Because usually, hurdlers don't run in the relays unless they have a decent flat surface time. Also don't see any of the short hurdlers in any of the relay pools either (although that's not much of a surprise), although had he made the National team, Terrence Trammel would have been in the 4 x 100 relay pool.

I wonder if any hurdlers were in the relay pool during the 2008 Summer Olympics and 2009 World Championships other then the male hurdlers of Jackson, Taylor and Clement. Would Sheena Tosta or Tiffany Ross Williams been options during the 2008 Olympics if one of the other 4 x 400 relay members went down? I recall that the 4 x 400 relay squad had already lost DeeDee Trotter to injury during the semi-finals of the 400 meters. I know that Natasha Hastings ran the preliminaries, but would she have been chosen over Tosta and Ross-Williams had there been another injury?
Last edited by GDAWG on Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
GDAWG

Postby GDAWG » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:28 pm

westcoasttiger wrote:Jeff Demps???

Anyone know the story here? Has he decided to skip his senior year of football? Gators won't allow him to skip pre-season practice and 1st game to run as an alternate or even as a guy on the relay. Is this just a way to get him relay experience in Europe in case he chooses track a year from now? Does he know that one year in NFL will exceed his entire career in track if he chooses track over football?

I'm thinking he will choose track if the NFL tells him he has no future in the NFL.

And speaking of former USA National team members, I think we'll see Trindon Holliday back on the track next year.
GDAWG

Postby Avante » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:54 pm

GDAWG wrote:
westcoasttiger wrote:Jeff Demps???

I'm thinking he will choose track if the NFL tells him he has no future in the NFL.

And speaking of former USA National team members, I think we'll see Trindon Holliday back on the track next year.

The NFL (Raiders especially) loves speed. Demps has the speed to score from anywhere and the scouts see that. He'll get a look from somebody.
Avante

Postby ChuiTai » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:17 pm

GDAWG wrote:Interesting that all four Men's 400 Meter Hurdlers are in the 4 x 400 relay pool, especially Jeshua Anderson. What exactly is his flat 40 time?...

A few low -to-mid 45s anchoring his school's 4x4. Perhaps sufficient for early round coverage in the event.
ChuiTai

Postby Speedster » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:04 am

Team USA Relay Pools

Miki Barber, Shalonda Solomon, Marshevet Myers, Carmelita Jeter

This is the best possible team in this order to take on JAM. If the passes are slick, I think the US could take it. The form of SAFP, KS, SS is still up in the air and VCB versus Jeter on the anchor is going to be tight.
Speedster

Postby gh » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:21 am

ChuiTai wrote:
GDAWG wrote:Interesting that all four Men's 400 Meter Hurdlers are in the 4 x 400 relay pool, especially Jeshua Anderson. What exactly is his flat 40 time?...

A few low -to-mid 45s anchoring his school's 4x4. Perhaps sufficient for early round coverage in the event.

46.08 best flat 400. He's not a topflight sprinter.
gh

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:12 am

Avante wrote:Gotta go with...

lead off...Rodgers
second...Gatlin
third...Patton
anchor...Dix

I must point out that Patton was partly the blame for the 2009 screw-up and 100% the blame for the 2008 debacle.
jazzcyclist

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:17 am

Speedster wrote:Miki Barber, Shalonda Solomon, Marshevet Myers, Carmelita Jeter

This is the best possible team in this order to take on JAM. If the passes are slick, I think the US could take it.

That might be a good team footspeed wise, but I would have to be comfortable with each members stick work before I put them on the team, especially the second and third legs who must handle the baton twice.
jazzcyclist

Postby ATK » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:26 am

Speedster wrote:

Team USA Relay Pools

This is the best possible team in this order to take on JAM. If the passes are slick, I think the US could take it. The form of SAFP, KS, SS is still up in the air and VCB versus Jeter on the anchor is going to be tight.

So you would put Barber over Felix when Felix Myers and Jeter have already run together, and Felix has already proved herself many times as a great relay runner.
I dont think there is anything to be said about those 3 on the relay.
ATK

Postby t_monk » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:45 am

ATK wrote:
Speedster wrote:

Team USA Relay Pools

So you would put Barber over Felix when Felix Myers and Jeter have already run together, and Felix has already proved herself many times as a great relay runner.

I believe the contention is really the amount of work Felix has to do. The 4x100 finals is the last race she would run I believe and if she doubles she might be a bit tired to say the least. 3 rounds of 200, 3 rounds of 400, 4x400 and 4x100....
t_monk

Postby Avante » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:55 am

jazzcyclist wrote:

lead off...Rodgers
second...Gatlin
third...Patton
anchor...Dix

I must point out that Patton was partly the blame for the 2009 screw-up and 100% the blame for the 2008 debacle.

He's only there because of the Tyson Gay situation. When it comes to taking the stick, dealing with a curve and handing off, you want an experienced guy doing that. Who else do we have with experience and can run the curve?
Avante

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:10 am

Avante wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:

lead off...Rodgers
second...Gatlin
third...Patton
anchor...Dix

When it comes to taking the stick, dealing with a curve and handing off, you want an experienced guy doing that. Who else do we have with experience and can run the curve?

Not all experience is good experience. I would want someone who has proven that they can execute under the brightest lights and on the biggest stages, and recently Patton has failed under those circumstances. Patton had been a good runner for a long time and I like hom, but it's time to go with some new blood.
jazzcyclist

Postby GDAWG » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:22 am

ATK wrote:
Speedster wrote:

Team USA Relay Pools

I don't think Allyson will be in the 4 x 100 Meters, because her legs will be dead tired by the time she even runs this relay, having run both the 200 and 400 and not to mention that she's also in the 4 x 400 meter relay pool. I mentioned earlier that she's likely to withdraw from either one of the relays or even from both relays. It is why I have Miki Barber as one of four possible replacements for Allyson. I picked this earlier:

GDAWG

Postby Riff80 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:07 am

Does anyone know if the US will run two men's and women's 4 x 100 teams in Italy and London? I would like to see them do this and have them in lanes next to each other. The meet directors would probably comply with that request. Put as much pressure as you can on the two teams.
Riff80

Postby GDAWG » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:06 am

Riff80 wrote:Does anyone know if the US will run two men's and women's 4 x 100 teams in Italy and London? I would like to see them do this and have them in lanes next to each other. The meet directors would probably comply with that request. Put as much pressure as you can on the two teams.

Isn't Italy mainly a training camp to fix the 4 x 100 relay woes?
GDAWG

Postby Riff80 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:38 am

GDAWG wrote:
Riff80 wrote:Does anyone know if the US will run two men's and women's 4 x 100 teams in Italy and London? I would like to see them do this and have them in lanes next to each other. The meet directors would probably comply with that request. Put as much pressure as you can on the two teams.

Taken from 2011 IAAF World Championships USATF Relay Team Statement of Conditions on USATF site.

3. I will participate in all required international relay competitions and training camps prior to the World Championships, as listed below, except in emergency situations where a waiver based on medical or exceptional circumstances may be given by USATF, at its discretion:
a. 4x100m Relay Team Training Camp – August 2‐4, 2011, London, England
b. 4x100m Relays @ London Gran Prix – August 5‐6, 2011, London, England
c. 4x100m Relay Team Training Camp – July 15‐18, 2011, Lignano, Italy
d. 4x100m Relays @ Lignano Meet – July 19, 2011, Lignano, Italy
e. 4x100m & 4x400m Relay Team Training Camp– August 18‐23, Daegu, Korea
Riff80

Postby GDAWG » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:42 am

Riff80 wrote:
GDAWG wrote:

Taken from 2011 IAAF World Championships USATF Relay Team Statement of Conditions on USATF site.

3. I will participate in all required international relay competitions and training camps prior to the World Championships, as listed below, except in emergency situations where a waiver based on medical or exceptional circumstances may be given by USATF, at its discretion:

It'll be interesting to see if Allyson Felix shows up for any of the training camps.
GDAWG

Postby 7-sided » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:01 pm

How is it possible that Dwain Chambers can't run in London but Justin Gatlin can? Will UKA/Fast Track tell the US to leave Chambers out of the relay? That could get messy.
7-sided

Postby Riff80 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:16 pm

GDAWG wrote:
Riff80 wrote:
GDAWG wrote:

It'll be interesting to see if Allyson Felix shows up for any of the training camps.

Why wouldn't she show up to the training camps? You know something...spill it.
Riff80

Postby tandfman » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:33 pm

7-sided wrote:How is it possible that Dwain Chambers can't run in London but Justin Gatlin can? Will UKA/Fast Track tell the US to leave Chambers out of the relay? That could get messy.

You mean Gatlin, I assume.
tandfman

Postby GDAWG » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:48 pm

Riff80 wrote:Why wouldn't she show up to the training camps? You know something...spill it.

Well, Felix is going to compete in the 200 and 400 meters and is in the pool for both relays. Like I said earlier, she's going to be dead tired by the time the relays start. Either she does one of the relays or none of the relays. No way does she do both relays while also doing the 400 meters and trying to defend her 200 meter gold medal. It would not make any sense for her to compete in any of the relays at this point, especially when she is trying to double up. I would also think that the relays would want fresh legs to increase their chances of winning gold medals in both relays. Allyson would not have fresh legs heading into either relay. Other than running into another lane or a dropped baton, a tired Allyson Felix would decrease the chances that both women's teams come away with the gold in both relays.

Not going to have that problem with Sanya Richards. She's only competing in the 400 meters, so she will be less tired than Felix coming into the 4 x 400 relay.
GDAWG

Postby gh » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:48 pm

7-sided wrote:How is it possible that Dwain Chambers can't run in London but Justin Gatlin can? Will UKA/Fast Track tell the US to leave Chambers out of the relay? That could get messy.

They can probably "justify" it by noting that the 4x1 isn't part of the Diamond League. It's an "added event" that's part of the London GP.
gh

Postby ATK » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:18 pm

GDAWG wrote:
Riff80 wrote:Why wouldn't she show up to the training camps? You know something...spill it.

Well, Felix is going to compete in the 200 and 400 meters and is in the pool for both relays. Like I said earlier, she's going to be dead tired by the time the relays start. Either she does one of the relays or none of the relays. No way does she do both relays while also doing the 400 meters and trying to defend her 200 meter gold medal. It would not make any sense for her to compete in any of the relays at this point, especially when she is trying to double up. I would also think that the relays would want fresh legs to increase their chances of winning gold medals in both relays. Allyson would not have fresh legs heading into either relay. Other than running into another lane or a dropped baton, a tired Allyson Felix would decrease the chances that both women's teams come away with the gold in both relays.

Not going to have that problem with Sanya Richards. She's only competing in the 400 meters, so she will be less tired than Felix coming into the 4 x 400 relay.

Im almost certain that if she does double, she will still do both relays, because she is Allyson Felix. If she is smart she will stick with the 200 and have a potential Osaka repeat, instead of possibly no golds.
ATK

Postby ILoveTrack » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:46 pm

He or she knows nothing at all about what Felix will do. This individual is dealing in fiction and not facts!
ILoveTrack

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:02 pm

GDAWG wrote:Well, Felix is going to compete in the 200 and 400 meters and is in the pool for both relays. Like I said earlier, she's going to be dead tired by the time the relays start. Either she does one of the relays or none of the relays. No way does she do both relays while also doing the 400 meters and trying to defend her 200 meter gold medal. It would not make any sense for her to compete in any of the relays at this point, especially when she is trying to double up.

People have been talking as like there is no question that VCB will run the 100 and 200 and the relay as well, and yet she races much more seldom than AF and when she has douubled she has not won the 200. Sure, the 400 takes more, but you can titrate your effort because you can observe the other runners for longer. In the 100 especially, the stress on the muscles is higher and the competition is tougher.
26mi235

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:26 pm

Initial Team USA relay pools announced Per IAAF rules, the pools must include the top four finishers in the men's and women's 100 and 400 meters at the 2011 USA Outdoor Track & Field Championships.

Despite it being written this way, that is not what the IAAF rules read. They read:

In the Relays, Member Federations can enter up to 6 athletes; these must include all athletes (up to the 4th reserve) eventually entered in the respective individual events (100m and 400m). [italics added]

As I suspected the requirement is for those 'eventually entered', not the top four from the US Trials; that is only an implication (that is NOT actually correct) that was put in without thinking that the US situation would not actually fit that statement.
26mi235

PreviousNext