Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby Jacksf » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:41 am

Well Laura Roesler continues to stagnate in the 800m.
I see she ran 2:10.62 in the heats of the NCAA indoor championships, and didn't make the finals.

Meanwhile, she had the fastest relay split (53.02) for Oregon's relay team in the finals of the 4x400 the next day. And that time comes while she is training as an 800m runner.

If the Oregon coaches could just overlook the fact that she's white, and move her down to the 400m, they might have a Jeremy Lin on their hands.

Meanwhile no news about California HS sprint and LJ champ, Jenna Prandini.
But rumor has it that the Oregon coaches think a white girl with her incredible speed and jumping ability will make a great Pole Vaulter ;p
Jacksf
 
Posts: 1684
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby preston » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:09 am

Interesting article on Fawn Dorr. It shows how a distance runner became a sprinter. http://spikesandheels.com/pro-focus-fawn-dorr

A few take aways...
Back in the day, I dreamed of being the best woman miler. in high school I read Allen Webb’s Sub 4min Mile book, competed in State championships numerous times in the 1500m, steeple and cross country. Those were the years I fell in love with running, but I had a series of very serious head injuries in high school and started having seizures when I ran long distances. The longer the distance, the worse the seizure. I was an OK hurdler, because of steeple, so my high school coach Nancy Bennett decided to start trying me in the 400hurdles and I started having fewer seizures


My junior year at indoor NCAA’s (National Collegiate Athletic Association) I raced the 400 and got dead last. My senior year I ended up getting 4th with a 52.5.
preston
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby Jacksf » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:14 pm

That's a very interesting and unusual story. It took a serious medical condition to move a white girl down to the sprints! And yet, she was quite successful.
Meanwhile, Laura who is a natural sprinter, continues to be moved further away from the sprints.
At the Oregon preview meet last week, the coaches had her run the 1600m. Her time - 4:41.62.

I think it's telling that Laura's best 800m time is STILL from high school, when she was basically a sprinter.
What the Oregon coaches think is that she is a middle distance runner with good speed. But in fact, she is a sprinter with good endurance. There's a big difference there.
Unfortunately, Oregon coaches are unable to recognize the difference because of Laura's skin color.
Jacksf
 
Posts: 1684
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby gm » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:26 pm

oregontf@uoregon.edu

Send them an e-mail and tell them they are wrong. Obviously they are not reading this message board since you have posted the same complaint many times.
gm
 
Posts: 4555
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: "What's the pre-cooked weight on that lab?"

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby gh » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:16 pm

Jacksf wrote:....
Unfortunately, Oregon coaches are unable to recognize the difference because of Laura's skin color.


If you have personal knowledge of this, please tell us more. If you're just speculating, this is not a charge you should be leveling and you should move away from this topic with all possible speed.
gh
 
Posts: 46313
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:27 am

It is common on LetsRun to have people continually carping about how obvious it is that the athlete and the coach are so clueless and do not know such things as: 1) what is the right event for the athlete; 2) what is the right racing strategy (usually, that they should be front-running the race; and 3) training is screwed up.

Of course, virtually none of these posters have the depth of experience or expertise --- funny that they are not coaching top-level athletes (not).
26mi235
 
Posts: 16315
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby preston » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:06 am

jacksf could have been a bit more diplomatic in his language, as inartful as it was, and it might not fully apply to Roessler, but going through this entire thread and reading the comments, it would seem that Roessler is stuck - if not regressing. Is she in the right event? Who knows. Is her training wrong (assuming she's in the right event)? Hard to doubt Lanana, he's worked wonders with many. Is her event choice race based? Could be, but that would have to do more with her upbringing and the events that were chosen for her in high school - her mother was her coach- than with UO (the UO sprint coach is African American, not that blacks are not or can not suffer the same racial bias' of everyone else).

However, she has enough speed to be a collegiate sprinter at 400m and she has enough speed -which can also be developed - to run at an elite level, too; the fact that she has been able to split 51's off of distance training is something close to remarkable. What is strange is that she hasn't progressed over 800m. I'm sure it's a mystery to her and her coaches but I just don't get where some of you feel that she is a 5K/10K woman.
preston
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:31 pm

Jacksf wrote:What the Oregon coaches think is that she is a middle distance runner with good speed. But in fact, she is a sprinter with good endurance. There's a big difference there.
Unfortunately, Oregon coaches are unable to recognize the difference because of Laura's skin color.

How do you know the coaches haven't been trying to persuade her to move down to the sprints, but she still believes that she can be a middle distance runner? The college coaches I know won't outright demand that an athlete change events when they believe that the athlete has more potential in another event. They will suggest and cajole, but the final decision is made by the athlete.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10857
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby Pego » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:52 pm

I'll repeat my old mantra. Few child prodigies make it big among adults. It is far from a sure thing. Sad, but true.
Pego
 
Posts: 10196
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby Master Po » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:03 pm

SInce we are speculating about Roesler's career progressions with great interest, but absent much detail (perhaps most of us have it memorized, but I know I don't), here is some data, at least to remind us of what she's done so far in one of her primary events :

Progression at 800m
8th gr/HS
2006 2:11.62
2007 2:07.83 (I also recall a 2:07.59 being reported that year)
2008 2:03.08 (07 June)
2009 2:06.2
2010 2:04.34 (21 July)
collegiate
2011 2:03.12 (27 May) [indoor 2:04.93]
2012 ------------- [indoor 2:05.07]

I don't have dates for the 06, 07, and 09 times, but I'm reasonably certain they were run in late May. Thus, it seems to me to be premature to say that she is regressing, or stuck. I think this depends on what progression one thinks an athlete should have. Last year, as a freshman at Oregon, she came within .04 of her HS best (which, as it was not run in her senior year, I supposed could be construed as stagnating in HS -- I don't take it as that). Her outdoor progression isn't a pattern of each year faster than the previous. I don't know how common that is -- I don't really expect one to progress like that. I'll be interested to see what she does this spring. Her indoor times this year were slightly slower, but not far off 2011. What to make of that? I don't know -- hard to do much with two data points in her indoor record, but I don't take that at this point as indicative of what she'll do outdoors.

And what of the 1500m time at the Oregon Preview, as was noted above? A few days ago she ran 4:41.69 at the Oregon Preview. In that race she finished first in the second section. But it's also worth noting that last year, she also ran the 1500 at the Oregon Preview. Note that it was the only 1500 she ran all last season, where she ran 4:42.29 (finishing 4th in the second section). Thus, she's slightly faster at 1500m this year. What to make of that? Nothing, for me. It's two data points. However, at this point, I don't take her participation in the 1500 at the Oregon Preview to be evidence that anyone is moving her up in distance beyond this one race. Of course, I don't know this -- none of us does. But as of now, this looks like the same competition pattern she fulfilled last year, when she continued to compete at 400/800 through the outdoor season.

She does seem to have great potential at 400/800. I don't have any opinion about which of those events she will ultimately excel at. In reviewing this thread, I see one post that suggested 5k/10k for her, so that seems not a big part of the discussion as of now. A couple of us (gh and me) suggested that long term she might excel at 1500. But of course -- for me, at least, that's speculation. Right now, she seems to be where she belongs, both in distances and as for the team she's participating with. But that's just my opinion.

Roesler is an interesting athlete with an interesting history, and thus a good topic for discussion. I hope this can continue without insult among the posters. (But that's just my opinion, too, not being very good at the insult dimension of some discussions. :) )
Master Po
 
Posts: 2630
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: north coast USA

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby kuha » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:26 pm

I don't have any stats here in front of me, but was fascinated by her HS performances. It's my memory that she was state X-C champ at least once or twice, and also won state titles at from the 100 to the 800 (or was it 200 to 800?). Granted, the quality of this range was skewed by the very small pool of compeition, but--still--this is/was exceptional and she was very obviously a top national talent at the 800. I have no idea what the overall story is, but wonder if its not something very simple--like physically maturing and gaining 15 pounds...or something like that....?
kuha
 
Posts: 9014
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 3rd row, on the finish line

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby gh » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:26 pm

To me, the bottom line on Roesler is simple: she was good enough as a high schooler to make the OT in the 800; she wasn't remotely on the radar in the 400. Why would anybody think of her as a sprinter of any sort?

The fact that she has now run a 51.45 anchor on a 4x4 tells me only one thing: her training is being done absolutely perfectly, because if she's to be a figure on the national/world stage in the 800, she has to have that kind of speed.
gh
 
Posts: 46313
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby mcgato » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:45 pm

It was my impression that she put a lot into her 2008 season with a thought of competing in the Olympic trials. After that year, she backed off of the training a bit fearing burn out. Still ran well, and has transitioned fairly well to college. I think that things are going in the right direction for her. I'll be patient and see what the rest of this year brings.
mcgato
 
Posts: 1605
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Hoboken

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:56 pm

gh wrote:To me, the bottom line on Roesler is simple: she was good enough as a high schooler to make the OT in the 800; she wasn't remotely on the radar in the 400. Why would anybody think of her as a sprinter of any sort?

Unless she's ever trained like a quartermiler, the fact that she wasn't on the 400 radar is meaningless. Deedee Trotter wasn't on the 400 radar coming out of high school either, but that's because her commitment was to the short sprints until the coaches at Tennessee finally convinced her to move up to the 400 her junior year.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10857
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby gh » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:09 pm

as the Oregon pressbook cites her prep career << Dominated the North Dakota prep running scene for Fargo South High School. Won six straight state titles at 400 meters, five straight at 200 and 800 meters, four at 100 meters and also claimed a pair of cross country titles.>>

Setting aside the lack of competition in that low-population state, the fact that she was able to win at everything from 100 through cross country suggests to me that her training (and like everybody else here, I'm talking through my hat if I say actually know anyhting about the specifics of how she trained then or now) was more "general" than anything else and her natural abilities were shining through, making it clear that the 800 is her event.
gh
 
Posts: 46313
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby CookyMonzta » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:43 pm

Which remains to be seen. A low-to-mid-50 in a relay will surely be the game-changer in this discussion and probably for Laura as well. I'll bet my horse money on it! 8-)
CookyMonzta
 
Posts: 2392
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby gh » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:05 pm

for me, a mid/low relay 50 means Roesler might have an outside chance at making the OT 400 final, whereas it almost guarantees (casting tactical flaws aside for the moment) an 800 spot.
gh
 
Posts: 46313
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby CookyMonzta » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:48 pm

With Jearl Miles-Clark (49.40/1:56.40) as her pro coach, perhaps?
CookyMonzta
 
Posts: 2392
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby Jacksf » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:37 pm

gh wrote:To me, the bottom line on Roesler is simple: she was good enough as a high schooler to make the OT in the 800; she wasn't remotely on the radar in the 400. Why would anybody think of her as a sprinter of any sort?

Not true.
In 2010 at World Junior Championships, she ran on the gold medal 4x400 relay team as a high schooler.
"The team of Texas prep Diamond Dixon (54.3), Stacey-Ann Smith (52.1) of Texas, North Dakota high schooler Laura Roesler (52.3) and Regina George (52.5) of Arkansas zipped to a 3:31.20, the fastest junior time in the world this year."

And Laura's split was as good as any of her teammates, some of them collegians.

Regarding her training, if her high school training was 'general', and her university training is specific for the 800m, and yet her best 800m time is from almost 4 yrs ago as a high schooler; then I would certainly conclude that the 800m is NOT her best event.

One last point - as I've said on countless different threads - 400m speed does not make an 800m runner.
Jacksf
 
Posts: 1684
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:56 pm

Look at the post above yours.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16315
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby Jacksf » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:19 pm

400m speed does not necessarily/usually translate to 800m speed.
We've been over this so many times. There are a few exceptions, but really just a few.
Let's not re-hash that.

Laura probably runs the 400m faster than any other collegiate 800m runner in the country.
But she is not even the fastest 800m at Oregon, let alone the country! And she is not getting faster at the 800m even though her 400m speed is improving.
On the other hand, she seems to be the fastest 400m runner at Oregon, even though she is training for the 800m!
See how backwards that is!?
Jacksf
 
Posts: 1684
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby duckedup » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:33 pm

^i lean to his side.
duckedup
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 9:26 am

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby preston » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:03 am

Wow, I don't think that I've ever disagreed with gh more.
gh wrote: the fact that she was able to win at everything from 100 through cross country suggests to me that her training (and like everybody else here, I'm talking through my hat if I say actually know anyhting about the specifics of how she trained then or now) was more "general" than anything else and her natural abilities were shining through, making it clear that the 800 is her event.


In the article it SPECIFICALLY states that she was trying to qualify for the trials at 800m; the sprinting was only her speedwork (from what I could gather, which like you, is because I can't possibly know more). Did you even read the training that she did? It was anything but general; it wasn't even unconventional. What it wasn't was sprint work. And, sprinting is NOT developed by running distance. That is the part that gh and all the other "next Mary Decker" types keep conveniently dismissing: she was being trained to be the next Mary Decker.

gh wrote:for me, a mid/low relay 50 means Roesler might have an outside chance at making the OT 400 final, whereas it almost guarantees (casting tactical flaws aside for the moment) an 800 spot.


Thoughout this thread examples have been given of "sprinters" who had less than Roessler like speed at 16, in high school, and in some cases in college; yet, they made US Teams, or made global finals, and in at least one case won a global championships. But, for Roessler, if she were to embark on the sprint path she only has a chance at an OT final? Why? And if her speed guarantees an 800 spot then how come she didn't make the NCAA finals?
gh wrote:... because if she's to be a figure on the national/world stage in the 800, she has to have that kind of speed.

But, what you miss, again, is THAT kind of speed -the speed she exibited as a SOPHOMORE in high school- is the SAME kind of speed that sprinters use to become international sprint stars!! And, not because she won a state title in North Dakota; her times would have made her a top 16 year old nearly anywhere in the world, including Jamaica. In fact, she was as fast as the defending Olympic champion, Fraser-Pryce, at 16, and faster than Kaleise Spencer.

I have no idea if she's an 800m runner; she could be, but it's nearly criminal to say that an 11.9/53.25 sprinter from North Dakota couldn't have been a top 400m prospect.
preston
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby gh » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:07 am

Mary Decker? When did her name jump into the conversation? You convince me of nothing by putting words in my mouth.

There's no comparing the two. And if I were paint them as alike, I'd be projecting Roesler as a future 5K star, a pure distance runner.
gh
 
Posts: 46313
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby preston » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:04 am

gh wrote:Mary Decker? When did her name jump into the conversation? You convince me of nothing by putting words in my mouth.

gh, I didn't put words in your mouth. You managed to spit these gems out all by yourself on the first page of this split thread...
gh wrote:If she can't make the step up to the mile in Eugene, unlikely she'll do it anywhere. But she does have the Decker-like wheels to move on up to international class.

She is also compared to Mary Decker in the following article that also addresses her training. http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=13711
gh wrote:...There's no comparing the two. And if I were paint them as alike, I'd be projecting Roesler as a future 5K star, a pure distance runner.

OK, throwing aside the fact that you already found SOME similarity, now you say that she is a PURE distance runner? :shock: How many pure distance runners exhibit 11.9/53.25/52r speed as sophomore's in high school, gh? And, how many of them are running the 5k now? I'm going to ignore the entire energy systems for training these vastly different events and the physiology...5k? Your knowledge database is far deeper than mine so please, show me another athlete who fits this criteria why you would even include her. There must be a predecessor.

failing that, here are a list of other pure distance runners, from this thread (which some of you conveniently omit from your posts), who Roessler was either faster than or as fast as in high school or at the age of 16.

Jearl Miles, Monica Hargrove, Mary Wineberg, Jana Rawlinson-Pittman AUS, Monique Hennagan, Alison Peter ISV, Sheniqua Furguson BAH, Jura Levy JAM, Jeneba Tarmoh, Kaleise Spencer JAM, Shelly-Ann Frase JAM

please look at the 2004 Jamaica girls champs results below from their equivalent sophomore, junior and senior class results (3,2,1) and tell me which one is the pure distance runner.

Class 3 (Sophomore)
1 Wilkins, Bobbygaye Holmwood Technical 55.57 9 (ran on JAM 4x4)
2 Cole, Shakeeri EDA 56.15 7
3 Griffiths, Shelleen Vere Technical High 56.21 6
4 McDERMOT, Latoya St. Andrew High 56.23 5
5 Reid, Kenesha Pemboke Hall High 57.07 4
6 Williams, Nadishe Vere Technical High 58.12 3
7 Blair, Taneisha Holmwood Technical 58.56 2
8 Haye, Yanique St.Jago High 1:01.26 1

Class 2 (Juniors)
1 Sutherland, Sonita Holmwood Technical 52.41M 9
2 Pinnock, Sherene EDA 53.60 7
3 Stewart, Sharnetter Vere Technical High 53.73 6
4 Bolt, Jeraine Holmwood Technical 55.15 5
5 Spencer, Kaliese Mannings High 55.92 4 (Daegu 4th)
6 Simpson, Stephanie Manchester High 56.86 3
7 Sutherland, Andrea EDA 56.97 2
8 Wilson, Crystal Queens High School 58.40 1

Class 1 (Seniors)
1 McLAUGHLIN, Anneisha Holmwood Technical 52.80 9
2 Wisdom, Maris Vere Technical High 53.31 7
3 Williams, Shericka St.Elizabeth Tech. 53.52 6
4 Cole, Nyoka Holmwood Technical 53.95 5
5 Anderson, Nickesha HERB 54.54 4
6 Page, Kashain St.Jago High 56.61 3
7 McKENZIE, Arusha St. Andrew High 57.25 2
8 Wilson, Nickiesha Convent OF Mercy 58.10 1 Osaka finalist
preston
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby 26mi235 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:09 am

preston wrote:I have no idea if she's an 800m runner; she could be, but it's nearly criminal to say that an 11.9/53.25 sprinter from North Dakota couldn't have been a top 400m prospect.


Well, if this is the best evidence then you need to consider: 53.25 -> 49.25 (47.60) = 4.00 5.65) seconds, is as 2:03.05 is to 1:53.80 (1:49.99).

This comparison says that to get to top-level 400 running takes a bigger reduction in her marks than top-level 800 running requires. It clearly is not obvious that the 400 is best . As for sprint training, was that in reference to the push for the Trials? If so, it leaves out up to 90% of her career to that point (note she won and placed in the State Meet as a 7th and 8th grader) and had been working on the sprints since an early age. The State XC crown came in the second half of high school, if I recall correctly.

What seems to be lost here is that some people have a very narrow range of (relative) excellence and other people's range is broad. LR's is as broad as they get, having ranged by a factor of 40 in her state blue ribbons.

I continue to think that her best chance of being world-class is in the 800 where her 400 speed continues than in the 400 where her speed is relatively ordinary.

[As for comparison with what other runners ran at the same age, that is misleading in more cases than not because these are atypical athletes and they push hard and naturally get better at different ages, and LR was winning state championships before high school (Six straight titles...).
26mi235
 
Posts: 16315
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby preston » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:48 am

26mi235 wrote:Well, if this is the best evidence then you need to consider: 53.25 -> 49.25 (47.60) = 4.00 5.65) seconds, is as 2:03.05 is to 1:53.80 (1:49.99).

This comparison says that to get to top-level 400 running takes a bigger reduction in her marks than top-level 800 running requires. It clearly is not obvious that the 400 is best .

You're missing the point. So forgive me for spacing this out because I've written it previously and I really want you to understand: SHE....WAS...NOT...BEING...TRAINED...AS...A...SPRINTER. HAD...SHE...BEEN...THE...53.25...MIGHT...BE...MUCH...FASTER. You're not making like:like comparisons. It's not as if she was training to be a great 4/8 girl - she wasn't; she wanted to run a great 8 and the 4 just happened to be part of her racing.

Let me make this argument differently so that the distance side (because from where I sit this seems to be a "jets" and "sharks" battle) can put down their arms for a second: Quincy Watts ran 43.50 in Barcelona to win at the age of 22. His PB at 100 and 200 of 10.30 and 20.50 go back to age 17. Now, most sprinters, if they wanted to could run a decent 400m, but would you say that Watts at 17 was a 100/200m runner or a 400m runner (remember that aside from Bolt and his promise, these two events are nearly mutually exclusive on the men's side; Herb McKenley notwithstanding)? In case you're not sure, 10.30/20.50 is about as good as it gets for age 17. It's probably top-10 ever and certainly was when he did it.

The point that I'm trying to make is that Roessler SHOWED the ability to be a sprinter (like Watts showed the ability to be a 100m sprinter) but she was never allowed to hone that skill. She might have run sub-50 by now or she might have still ended up at 800m, but DO NOT SAY THAT SHE DIDN'T HAVE THE ABILITY TO BE A SPRINTER BASED UPON WHAT SHE DID AS A SOPHOMORE; it doesn't make sense when/if you do because she fit the profile, just as Watts fit the profile MORE for the 100m than for the 400m. Unless of course Watts is a pure distance runner who never found his true calling. :lol:
preston
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby 26mi235 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:32 pm

Do you know for sure that during her entire high school career she was not being trained as a sprinter? Please tell me how you know.


It's not as if she was training to be a great 4/8 girl - she wasn't; she wanted to run a great 8 and the 4 just happened to be part of her racing.

If you are referring to the period when she hit her high school 800 PR, that does not mean that at other times she was not being trained as a sprinter, especially as a long sprinter, because 6 straight titles in the 400 gives some indication that she was being trained that way. I tend to think it semi-irrelevant to the point that you are making (she has not been trained as a sprinter) that in that specific period where she was pushing for the trials that she was not being trained as a sprinter. [Besides, being trained for the 800 and the 400 are different, but it is not quite like the difference between a middle-distance training regime and that for a short sprinter.]
26mi235
 
Posts: 16315
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby Jacksf » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:45 pm

26mi235 wrote:I continue to think that her best chance of being world-class is in the 800 where her 400 speed continues than in the 400 where her speed is relatively ordinary.


I really can't understand why you continue to be so dismissive of Laura's speed ("relatively ordinary")

Her HS time of 53.25 was 9th fastest in the country that year.
Her 200m time of 24.01 puts her in the Calif State finals.
She ran on the gold medal WJrC 4x400m relay (beating the favored Jamaicans), with collegians, and had the 2nd fastest split.
All this while:
1/ also training for the 800m
2/ running in ND, where the weather is much colder than Calif or Florida, the home of most top HS sprinters
3/ running against much weaker competition
If she had been training exclusively as a sprinter in a warm weather state, we could have reasonably expected even faster times from her.

I also don't understand why you continue to believe that her best chance of being world class is in the 800m, when
1/ her 800m times are not improving, even though she is specifically training for the 800m at one of the strongest middle distance programs in the country.
2/ her 400m relay times continue to improve despite the fact that she is training for a middle distance
3/ she is the fastest 400m runner at Oregon, despite not being a 400m runner.

That all adds up to: Laura Roesler should be running the 400m.
Last edited by Jacksf on Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jacksf
 
Posts: 1684
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby Jacksf » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:45 pm

Jacksf wrote:
gh wrote:To me, the bottom line on Roesler is simple: she was good enough as a high schooler to make the OT in the 800; she wasn't remotely on the radar in the 400. Why would anybody think of her as a sprinter of any sort?

Not true.
In 2010 at World Junior Championships, she ran on the gold medal 4x400 relay team as a high schooler.
"The team of Texas prep Diamond Dixon (54.3), Stacey-Ann Smith (52.1) of Texas, North Dakota high schooler Laura Roesler (52.3) and Regina George (52.5) of Arkansas zipped to a 3:31.20, the fastest junior time in the world this year."
.


Interesting note -
Diamond Dixon from the same WJC relay team as Laura, won the NCAA indoors 400m this year for Univ. of Kansas.
I'm not saying Laura would have won; but I am saying they were at the same level at the 400m as HSers, so it is certainly a reasonable possibility that Laura could have been in this final if she were training for the 400m.
As it was, she didn't qualify for the 800m final.
Jacksf
 
Posts: 1684
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby kuha » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:00 pm

I think, in part, that she's just gotten bigger--stronger, probably, but definitely bigger.
kuha
 
Posts: 9014
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 3rd row, on the finish line

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby 8aldP|23 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:27 am

Laura ran a 4:30.41 1500m this morning
8aldP|23
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 2:51 pm
Location: Corvallis O-STATE

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby Jacksf » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:13 pm

Laura ran 2:05.83 for 2nd place in the 800m at the Pepsi meet in Oregon today.
She also anchored the 4x400m relay to tight win over Texas A&M.
Her split was 52.8, and she held off Kamaria Brown of A&M, who is the Big 12 indoor 200m champ (22.86 meet record), and 400m 2nd placer (52.60)
It still seems to me that Laura has more 400m talent than 800m talent; and that the lack of sprint speed argument is completely bogus.
Jacksf
 
Posts: 1684
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby tandfman » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:12 pm

The fact that she has demonstrated sprint speed does not, to me, mean that her best distance isn't 800m.
tandfman
 
Posts: 15041
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby CookyMonzta » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:55 am

Maybe, maybe not. But the 400 is looking more and more like the better deal for her every day. Have you noticed that she's not even picked for the top 10 on the NCAA 800 formchart? I'll bet good horse money that 10th in the 400 will be in the mid-to-high-52s.
CookyMonzta
 
Posts: 2392
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby Master Po » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:54 pm

Roesler provides something for everyone at Penn Relays today:

2:04.5 (2nd leg of winning 4x800) start time 4:10 pm
http://pennrelaysonline.com/Results/results.aspx?en=487
Roesler's split 2nd fastest in the race (Chanelle Price 2:04.2).

53.0 (3rd leg of 2nd place 4x400) start time 5:50 pm
http://pennrelaysonline.com/Results/results.aspx?en=498
Roesler's split 5th fastest in the race.

Seems like a pretty good double in less than 2hrs time.
Master Po
 
Posts: 2630
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: north coast USA

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby tandfman » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:21 pm

Having seen both of those races at Penn, I still have the feeling that her better event is the 800.
tandfman
 
Posts: 15041
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby gh » Sun May 13, 2012 1:40 pm

bad day for the boo-birds on the board; first Hasay kicks to Pac-12 1500 win, now Roesler runs a masterful 800 to win.
gh
 
Posts: 46313
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby Master Po » Sun May 13, 2012 1:53 pm

smart running by Roesler.
:)
Master Po
 
Posts: 2630
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: north coast USA

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby guru » Sun May 13, 2012 2:00 pm

gh wrote:bad day for the boo-birds on the board; first Hasay kicks to Pac-12 1500 win..



Yes, well Hasay also "kicked" to a 1500(and 5K) win at PAC-12's last year.

Also, if noting facts makes me a boobird, I gleefully(to use your terminology) plead guilty.
guru
 
Posts: 10266
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Strava, racking KOMs https://tinyurl.com/qf2ntch

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aaronk, Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], meatball and 11 guests