Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby bruce3404 » Fri May 25, 2012 7:47 pm

j-a-m wrote:She ran a season-best 2:04... today at the West prelims.


Maybe the Hytek results are incorrect, but they show she only ran a 2:07.47. Nevertheless, she raced with great control and did only what she had to to ensure a trip to Des Moines, while saving herself for the 4x400 tomorrow.
bruce3404
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:00 am
Location: Track Town, USA

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby j-a-m » Fri May 25, 2012 7:54 pm

bruce3404 wrote:
j-a-m wrote:She ran a season-best 2:04... today at the West prelims.


Maybe the Hytek results are incorrect, but they show she only ran a 2:07.47. Nevertheless, she raced with great control and did only what she had to to ensure a trip to Des Moines, while saving herself for the 4x400 tomorrow.


The Hytek website's not working properly, still showing results from yesterday's first round instead of today's second round, not even working with reload.

Mackie ran 2:02 from the front; Roesler stayed in third for a while, then moved to second. Was the fastent of the three heats. I believe Roesler had the second fastest time overall, not sure about that, though.
j-a-m
 
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby bruce3404 » Fri May 25, 2012 8:40 pm

j-a-m wrote:
The Hytek website's not working properly, still showing results from yesterday's first round instead of today's second round, not even working with reload.

Mackie ran 2:02 from the front; Roesler stayed in third for a while, then moved to second. Was the fastent of the three heats. I believe Roesler had the second fastest time overall, not sure about that, though.


That certainly explains what seemed to be workout times for most of the competitors. The West regional has been very difficult to watch, with the audio, video and Hytek problems. The East has been very easy to follow. Maybe the West crew is spending too much time down on 6th Street.
bruce3404
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:00 am
Location: Track Town, USA

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby Master Po » Fri May 25, 2012 8:48 pm

As suggested above, Roesler's 2:04.48 was 2nd fastest Q. Not an impressively fast time, I suppose, but she did exactly what she needed to do in this event in this meet, which is what matters, imo.
Master Po
 
Posts: 2633
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: north coast USA

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby bruce3404 » Sat May 26, 2012 7:08 pm

Hytek's not giving us splits, but Roessler ran an amazing 3rd leg today in Austin in part of a 3:29+ clocking for the Ducks.
bruce3404
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:00 am
Location: Track Town, USA

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby gm » Sat May 26, 2012 7:11 pm

For the love of Pete, Bruce, Hy-Tek is a software product!

AllTrax Timing is the company timing the West meet. Cite them for not providing splits, if you must.

/esotericrant
gm
 
Posts: 4560
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: "What's the pre-cooked weight on that lab?"

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby bruce3404 » Sat May 26, 2012 9:58 pm

gm wrote:For the love of Pete, Bruce, Hy-Tek is a software product!

AllTrax Timing is the company timing the West meet. Cite them for not providing splits, if you must.

/esotericrant


All I know is that I see Hy-Tek's name all over the results page and nothing about AllTrax. Does the Hy-Tek program offer the ability to post splits? Whatever they used in the East was labeled Flash Results and it was much more user-friendly. According to their website, they also use Hy-Tek software, so maybe I've answered my question. Funny that AllTrax only has the name Hy-Tek on their results page and Flash Results gives no credit to the meet manager program. Confusing for some of us and thanks for clarifying.
bruce3404
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:00 am
Location: Track Town, USA

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby gm » Sat May 26, 2012 10:10 pm

I didn't mean to come off as shouting at you Bruce. Here's what's at the top of every page on the "live" results --

AllTrax Timing - Contractor License
NCAA Division I 2012 Outdoor
Track & Field Championships -West Preliminary
University of Texas -Austin - 5/24/2012 to 5/26/2012
gm
 
Posts: 4560
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: "What's the pre-cooked weight on that lab?"

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby bruce3404 » Sat May 26, 2012 10:54 pm

gm wrote:I didn't mean to come off as shouting at you Bruce. Here's what's at the top of every page on the "live" results --

AllTrax Timing - Contractor License
NCAA Division I 2012 Outdoor
Track & Field Championships -West Preliminary
University of Texas -Austin - 5/24/2012 to 5/26/2012


Thanks for pointing that out. You'd think after three days of staring at those results I might have caught that :D Alltrax needs to look at the Flash Results model and steal all they can from it.
bruce3404
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:00 am
Location: Track Town, USA

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby Chris Kuykendall » Sun May 27, 2012 4:40 am

Does anybody have the splits for the Oregon women, or at least the third and anchor legs by Roesler and Francis, in the NCAA West 4x400?
Chris Kuykendall
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby j-a-m » Sun May 27, 2012 6:34 am

Chris Kuykendall wrote:Does anybody have the splits for the Oregon women, or at least the third and anchor legs by Roesler and Francis, in the NCAA West 4x400?


No, the splits are neither on the live results website nor on Oregon's website (Aggies website, on the other hand, lists all 4x400 splits). Roesler led them from second into first, and Francis held on to the lead.
j-a-m
 
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby Chris Kuykendall » Sun May 27, 2012 12:02 pm

Chris Kuykendall wrote:Does anybody have the splits for the Oregon women, or at least the third and anchor legs by Roesler and Francis, in the NCAA West 4x400?


The West Regional results page now has more splits posted, with the answer to my previous question. Laura Roesler 52.60 third leg and Phyllis Francis 50.87 anchor to the 50.50 anchor of Ashley Spencer from runnerup Illinois in the same third heat. Arkansas closed 52.89. On the third leg, Arkansas 54.31 and Illinois 53.13. Diamond Dixon for Kansas anchored 51.54 in the second heat.
Chris Kuykendall
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby bruce3404 » Sun May 27, 2012 12:08 pm

Thanks for the info, Chris. You oughta come up to Des Moines; we'll make room for you in the Duck section :D Roesler's leg seemed much faster, but it had everything to do with the very slow 3rd leg by the Arkansas runner.
bruce3404
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:00 am
Location: Track Town, USA

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby ATK » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:46 pm

Roesler just ran 2:02.09 in the prelim at NCAA's. Is that her PR?
ATK
 
Posts: 3807
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby gh » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:48 pm

yes, but not nearly as good as her 400 potential :twisted:
gh
 
Posts: 46327
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby j-a-m » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:49 pm

On the final straightaway Roesler ran away from Kendra Chambers, who used to run the 400 until last season, and just started running the 800 this season (Chambers just missed the final with a huge PR).
j-a-m
 
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby j-a-m » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:46 pm

ATK wrote:Roesler just ran 2:02.09 in the prelim at NCAA's. Is that her PR?

I believe almost one second better than her old PR.
j-a-m
 
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby preston » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:15 am

gh wrote:yes, but not nearly as good as her 400 potential :twisted:

First, she is my stealth pick to break your Olympic formchart, so keep cheering;

second, congratulations, Roesler just set a new PB after 4 years, 2:02.09...and I still think had she been TRAINING for the 400m that she would have run at least the B-standard by now if not the A (Of course, we'll never know now). But more to the point: she still doesn't have the B-standard. That's telling.

400m: A-standard 51.55 B-standard 52.35
800m: A-standard 1:59.90 B-standard 2:01.30
preston
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby CookyMonzta » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:22 am

preston wrote:
gh wrote:yes, but not nearly as good as her 400 potential :twisted:

First, she is my stealth pick to break your Olympic formchart, so keep cheering;

second, congratulations, Roesler just set a new PB after 4 years, 2:02.09...and I still think had she been TRAINING for the 400m that she would have run at least the B-standard by now if not the A (Of course, we'll never know now). But more to the point: she still doesn't have the B-standard. That's telling.

400m: A-standard 51.55 B-standard 52.35
800m: A-standard 1:59.90 B-standard 2:01.30

Her PR before this was 2:03.02, as a HS junior, if I recall. A little faster, and she might make the B-standard. It'll get really interesting if she goes 50.x on the relay. Last year's 51.4 split almost certainly gives her the B-standard in an open 400.
CookyMonzta
 
Posts: 2392
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby Master Po » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:34 am

Actually, this is her progression of annual bests so far:

2007 2:07.83
2008 2:03.08 (Jim Bush Classic, 3rd)
2009 2:06.2
2010 2:04.34 (WJC sf, 4th)
2011 2:03.12 (NCAA W Regional, 4th)
2012 2:02.09 NCAA Ch prelim, 2nd)


IAAF bio:
http://www.iaaf.org/athletes/biographie ... index.html
Last edited by Master Po on Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Master Po
 
Posts: 2633
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: north coast USA

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby CookyMonzta » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:40 am

Okay, my bad; sophomore year. Too long between PRs at this stage. If it's tactical, she won't get another PR. if someone pushes the pace, she might just sneak in under 2:00.00.
CookyMonzta
 
Posts: 2392
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby Ernest Lee » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:02 am

preston wrote:..and I still think had she been TRAINING for the 400m that she would have run at least the B-standard by now if not the A (Of course, we'll never know now).


According to the article from the front page:

"Roesler trains under Johnson, who works with Oregon's sprinters. "

Does that mean that she has been training for the 400 all along?
Ernest Lee
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:44 am

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby Master Po » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:26 am

History isn't destiny, but as for what sort of times one might reasonably expect in the final, the recent history of the event suggests that a winning time of 2:00.xx or even sub-2:00 is unlikely:

In the past 20 years (1992-2011) at NCAA, the event has been won 12 times in 2:01-2:02; 5 times it has been won in 2:03-2:04; and just 3 times has it been won in sub-2:01 (2009 -- Geena Gall @ 2:00.80; 2007 -- Alysia Johnson @1:59.29; 1995 -- Inez Turner @ 2:00.27).

But who knows? Maybe this year will be one of the really fast ones.
Master Po
 
Posts: 2633
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: north coast USA

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby preston » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:37 am

Ernest Lee wrote:
preston wrote:..and I still think had she been TRAINING for the 400m that she would have run at least the B-standard by now if not the A (Of course, we'll never know now).


According to the article from the front page:

"Roesler trains under Johnson, who works with Oregon's sprinters. "

Does that mean that she has been training for the 400 all along?

If she was training for the 400 all along then how come she's run virtually no 400's since arriving at Oregon? Who recruits and trains a "400m runner" like a 400m runner and then tells them to run the 800m and the 1500? If that article is 100% accurate then I will gladly say that I've been wrong and that she has no business in the 400m; however, if that article is wrong, or even slightly inaccurate -believe it or not that happens from time to time- then my point still holds.

To answer your question: it is my belief that the article is inaccurate in that it implies that she is being trained like a sprinter when she clearly isn't.
preston
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby Master Po » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:49 am

As for the question of this thread - Is it possible she is being trained in a way that is well-suited to her, & is neither exactly "sprint" or "distance"?

I assume that none of us posting to this thread knows the answer to the question of how she is actually being trained, but look at her UO competition history -- there is a benefit to focusing here, because we can can look at what she actually does, rather than speculate about how she may or may not be trained.

In fact she competes at 400 frequently -- as much as she competes at 800. If you go through her competition history, & tally the number of 400s (including 4x4 and open 400), you get 23 competitions at 400m. If you tally the number of 800s (including 4x8 & DMR), you get 25 competitions at 800m so far. (Note - on the TFRRS site to which TFN links for collegiate lists, one DMR listed for Roesler - NCAA Indoor 2011 - meet results show she did not run.)

She has only 3 competitions at 1500m (and one each at 600m and 200m). So, we're not being accurate to her competition record to think of her as a "1500 runner" really any more than we would think of her as a "200 runner" (which we don't consider her).

So, she actually competes across the range from 200m-1500m, but as the stats show, she's competing almost entirely & equally at 400 & 800.

More important, we are not being accurate to her actual competition record by trying to argue each other into seeing her as either sprint or distance runner. If we pay attention to her actual competition record, it shows what she is at this point in her career: a 400/800 runner.

However she was trained in HS, these are the two events at which she showed the most promise. So perhaps she knows & her coaches at UO know what they're doing. She seems to be doing well, as of this writing, and she is contributing to the success of her teams.
Master Po
 
Posts: 2633
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: north coast USA

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby gh » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:00 am

my GUESS is that she's being trained for exactly what Oregon wants her to do: score points in both the 4x4 and 800. Whatever event may be in her future remains just that... in the future. (so one way or another, she and Wariner are ending up in the same event :mrgreen: )
gh
 
Posts: 46327
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby kuha » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:07 am

So Wariner's moving up to the 1500!!?? Cool! (Jeremy: It's only the last kilo that really hurts.)
kuha
 
Posts: 9017
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 3rd row, on the finish line

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby preston » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:02 am

Master Po, this can't be made more clear: sprinters and 400m runners do not run in season 1500m! That's not sprint training and Johnson would know better. It may be some hybrid training to make an ATTEMPT to retain some of her natural speed so that she can excel at 800m - her chosen event, but it is NOT sprint training!

Also, no one is going to count 4x4's against 800's and 1500's and say that equates to sprint training. You distance runners need to recognize that "speedwork" is not SPRINT TRAINING. It's not the same, stop equating it as such. YOU DON'T GET FASTER RUNNING SLOWER. IF SHE IS RUNNING AS MANY 800's AS 400's THEN SHE IS NOT GOING TO GET FASTER AS A 400 RUNNER!!! Especially, if she's going up to the 1500 on occasion.

You're assessment is one of the reason why one of the definitions for academic is not relevant or pertinent. Are you serious? Name another 400m runner, who was concentrating on running the 400m, from the last 20 years who is running in season 1500's? NAME ONE! Don't include me in that "we're not being accurate..."...you're not being sensible. You're wrong to dismiss 1500m racing and not realize that it inhibits speed development for a 400m runner and THEN TO EXPECT THAT SHE SHOULD SOMEHOW BE RUNNING the 50-49!

Lastly, her training in high school is central to why she probably excelled at 800m, but I have no real argument with her running the 800m and have said as much. I've also believed that IF she would have trained as a sprinter that she could have been a pretty good sprinter and POSSIBLY better than she currently is at the 800. The problem I have is when posters here say that she is being trained as a sprinter when she clearly is NOT being trained like a sprinter. It's insulting to have to read someone write that she is as if she is giving herself equal chance to be equally good at either. It's bullshit!
preston
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby Master Po » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:10 am

Um, all I was doing was posting some data of what she actually is doing in competition, because that is data that I have access to. Not arguing at all about what she should be doing or what would be best for her, as I am not in a position to know that. I note the intensity with which you state your position, and am not interested in arguing with you.
Master Po
 
Posts: 2633
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: north coast USA

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby preston » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:16 am

Master Po wrote:Um, all I was doing was posting some data of what she actually is doing in competition, because that is data that I have access to. Not arguing at all about what she should be doing or what would be best for her, as I am not in a position to know that. I note the intensity with which you state your position, and am not interested in arguing with you.

My apologies. We've been arguing this for months so your post just seemed to bring up something that has been repeated many times before.
preston
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:11 pm

Running one 1500m race is going to ruin a sprinter[?]; give me a break. Given that she does sprint training, the 1500 is for the endurance side of the 800, it does not tell you anything about whether she is training for longer middle distance unless she is doing that at a championship meet.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16323
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby j-a-m » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:28 pm

51.76 split in the 4x400 semis.
j-a-m
 
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby Jacksf » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:54 pm

Only 6 girls split faster than Laura. :twisted:
As reference, please note that Diamond Dixon, the projected winner of the 400m by T&FN, split 51.57.
Last edited by Jacksf on Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jacksf
 
Posts: 1684
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby CookyMonzta » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:41 pm

CookyMonzta wrote:...It'll get really interesting if she goes 50.x on the relay. Last year's 51.4 split almost certainly gives her the B-standard in an open 400.


j-a-m wrote:51.76 split in the 4x400 semis.


Tick...tick...tick... :mrgreen:
CookyMonzta
 
Posts: 2392
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby Blues » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:08 pm

Jacksf wrote:Only 6 girls split faster than Laura. :twisted:
As reference, please note that Diamond Dixon, the projected winner of the 400m by T&FN, split 51.57.


Don't even think about it... :wink:

Did you find the first and second leg splits, or did you mean that only 6 girls on the 3rd and 4th legs ran faster?

And Diamond Dixon wasn't pushed. Obviously that's a huge difference.. Laura and anchor Francis had to go all out to play catch up and their times showed it... The first 5 qualifiers in the open 400 prelims all ran faster than Laura's split from a standing start, and more might go faster in the final. An occasional split equivalent to an open 52 mid is impressive, but it isn't enough to warrant a switch to the 4 for an elite 800 runner, especially when you already have another 400 runner on the team running about 1.6 seconds faster. I think it's a good bet that she'll score more points for Oregon if she sticks to the 8 and the 4x4.
Blues
 
Posts: 1090
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:58 am

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby Jacksf » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:00 am

Ok, the first 5 qualifiers in the open 400m ran faster than Roesler's relay split.
But they are also not training for the 800m, which Laura is.
My point is, that Laura could well be running the 400m final IF she trained for it.
Just as she is running the 800m final.
She could be as good at the 400m as she is at the 800m.
And I wouldn't say Laura is an elite 800m runner - yet. Let's see how she goes in the final.
Jacksf
 
Posts: 1684
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby 26mi235 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:06 am

Jacksf wrote:Only 6 girls split faster than Laura. :twisted:
As reference, please note that Diamond Dixon, the projected winner of the 400m by T&FN, split 51.57.


And the inference that you draw from that is that LR is about as fast? Really? Why in the world didn't Dixon, with plenty to spare for qualifying, use up a supreme effort to get a better split in the 4x400 heat..... She is one of three that could split 49.x, and while the US has a number of good 800 runners now, compared to the talent that is continually coming through in the 400 (Spencer is a frosh, running 51.02 on a weekend where she had 200 H/F [22.99], 400 H/F 51.99/51.02, 4x400 anchor for come-from-behind win, not sure about H/F 4x100), LR would be a footnote, I think.

Has she ever run a 51 under any conditions? She is good for 52.5 and that is just not very promising for a US 400 runner, and more dedicated 400 running might make her faster, but the 800 running made her fade less on the straight, which is where she made up ground at the end.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16323
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby preston » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:15 am

26mi235 wrote:Running one 1500m race is going to ruin a sprinter[?]; give me a break. Given that she does sprint training, the 1500 is for the endurance side of the 800, it does not tell you anything about whether she is training for longer middle distance unless she is doing that at a championship meet.

26, you are now trolling this thread. The things that you are posting are either patently untrue or insulting to even respond to. First, Roesler has run MORE than "one" 1500. I'm not gonna tell you how many because you have no interest in posting the facts. Just because she works with the sprint coach doesn't mean she does sprint training, for the last time. Name another sprinter or even 400m runner who actually races the 400m who runs in-season 1500's? You can't because they don't exist. Roesler is an 800/1500 runner who also runs on the relay. And, her racing tells us EXACTLY what she is and what type of training she is doing.
Blues wrote:...An occasional split equivalent to an open 52 mid is impressive, but it isn't enough to warrant a switch to the 4 for an elite 800 runner, especially when you already have another 400 runner on the team running about 1.6 seconds faster...

Blues, I get what you're trying to say but ... you're going to have to define elite. If by elite 800m runner you mean collegiately, then Roesler is elite, but we're arguing that she has the ability, IF TRAINED LIKE THE WOMEN WHO ARE RUNNING THE 400M AT NCAA's THIS WEEKEND (which means NOT racing at 800/1500), to be an elite collegiate runner at 400m. If by elite you mean internationally, then Roesler is NOT elite (yet!).
preston
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby Blues » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:23 am

preston wrote:
26mi235 wrote:Running one 1500m race is going to ruin a sprinter[?]; give me a break. Given that she does sprint training, the 1500 is for the endurance side of the 800, it does not tell you anything about whether she is training for longer middle distance unless she is doing that at a championship meet.

26, you are now trolling this thread. The things that you are posting are either patently untrue or insulting to even respond to. First, Roesler has run MORE than "one" 1500. I'm not gonna tell you how many because you have no interest in posting the facts. Just because she works with the sprint coach doesn't mean she does sprint training, for the last time. Name another sprinter or even 400m runner who actually races the 400m who runs in-season 1500's? You can't because they don't exist. Roesler is an 800/1500 runner who also runs on the relay.

Preston, in my experiences I've seen other 800m runners open the outdoor season with a 1500 or two for a little extra endurance base.. That doesn't mean they're 1500m runners. Laura was entered in a 1500 in the very first meet of last outdoor season (as was Phyllis Francis), and in 2 meets during the very first week of this outdoor season. That's it. After the first week of both of her collegiate outdoor seasons, Laura only ran the 800, the 4x4, and this season a 200. Maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't see the evidence that supports your assertion that she's also a 1500m runner, at least not at this time.
Blues
 
Posts: 1090
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:58 am

Re: Which event for Laura Roesler? [split]

Postby preston » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:01 am

Blues wrote: Preston, in my experiences I've seen other 800m runners open the outdoor season with a 1500 or two for a little extra endurance base.. That doesn't mean they're 1500m runners. Laura was entered in a 1500 in the very first meet of last outdoor season (as was Phyllis Francis), and in 2 meets during the very first week of this outdoor season. That's it. After the first week of both of her collegiate outdoor seasons, Laura only ran the 800, the 4x4, and this season a 200. Maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't see the evidence that supports your assertion that she's also a 1500m runner, at least not at this time.

A big part of the argument here is "how" someone is being trained. I see Roesler as being trained as a 8/15 girl (4:30-2012) who happens to be fast enough to run on the 4x4. I would agree that early season races doesn't mean that that is your event; however, through this thread it has been said, by those who think she's a mid-distance runner, that the 1500 may be her final destination (some even mentioned the 5k) so that is what I'm allowing. But, my point is that there is NO WAY that someone who is being trained as a "sprinter" (as some posters continue to erroneously state) is going to run a 1500. So, though you imply by saying "that's it" as if "only one" 1500 is insignificant, it is extraordinarily telling that she ran "off season" 15's instead of a 4. And that's why I have no problem calling her an 800m/1500 runner, because she ran ZERO races at 400m this year. I also have no poroblem stating that she is NOT doing sprint training; she may be doing speed work or speed development, but she is NOT being trained like a sprinter. She's being trained like an 800m runner (I'll concede that she isn't seriously COMPETING at 1500m).
preston
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:09 pm

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests