UK's Beijing medal hopes •


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • van Commenee & Tyler out

Postby mal » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:05 am

bushop wrote:UK Sport invest £720,000 in Team GB coaches to boost 2016 Olympic hopes
25 November 2012
“UK Sport... aims to develop 12 high achieving coaches from "world class level to world leading" during the three-year period...”

Black confirms UKA performance structure
26 November 2012
“UKA employed performance coaches will work in a full time capacity from the Loughborough Institute, supporting athletes based there, supporting the event development and ensuring continuity of practice.”


Amusing. The UK is full of coaches and coaching.
They even have a quality masterclass program on the BBC.
mal
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby bushop » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:43 pm

Soooo... sidle up to Idowu and screw with Ennis' team... is this how UK improves on van Commenee? What words can be used and not be banned by gh?

Jess Ennis' coach told: 'Take a pay cut for new job'
29th January 2013
But Peter Eriksson, the new head coach of UK Athletics, insists: “It’s time for Toni to make up his mind. It’s all in Toni’s hands now. He can take it or leave it."
bushop
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby mump boy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:21 pm

Toni only coached Jess and not at a UKA base and you want them to continue to fund him individually ? :?

What if all our top athletes had individual coaches outside of the UKA frame work, should they all be individually funded as well ??

TM's job no longer exists in it's previous incarnation, he can take a job at Loughborough or act as a paid consultant but he can't pick and choose exactly what job he wants and how much it should pay

Obviously Jess should (and probably does) pay him, it's not UKA's responsibility and what has Phillips got to do with anything ??
mump boy
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby bushop » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:34 pm

mump boy wrote:Toni only coached Jess and not at a UKA base and you want them to continue to fund him individually ? :?

What if all our top athletes had individual coaches outside of the UKA frame work, should they all be individually funded as well ??

TM's job no longer exists in it's previous incarnation, he can take a job at Loughborough or act as a paid consultant but he can't pick and choose exactly what job he wants and how much it should pay

Obviously Jess should (and probably does) pay him, it's not UKA's responsibility and what has Phillips got to do with anything ??

My outsiders view is...
Ennis is a UK superstar bringing more than enough to UK Athletics to justify providing her whatever she needs. On the flip side, I've read about Eriksson making nice with a seemingly goofball Phillips. I'd give every dime the UK gives Phillips to Minichiello. But again, I'm looking from the other side of the pond.
bushop
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby eldanielfire » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:47 pm

mump boy wrote:Toni only coached Jess and not at a UKA base and you want them to continue to fund him individually ? :?

What if all our top athletes had individual coaches outside of the UKA frame work, should they all be individually funded as well ??

TM's job no longer exists in it's previous incarnation, he can take a job at Loughborough or act as a paid consultant but he can't pick and choose exactly what job he wants and how much it should pay

Obviously Jess should (and probably does) pay him, it's not UKA's responsibility and what has Phillips got to do with anything ??



Actually UKA scrapped his job, it didn't just go missing. They can create and scrap jobs at will and have done cretaing jobs to fit the people they wnat in the organisation. UKAs responsibility is achieving medals, their entire budget from the lottery is based upon achieving this and is not spending millions on doing what they want in the way they want. By directing funding away from a proven medal winning coach and likley future medalist they are not fufilling their responsibility to use their funding to get the most success which is their remit.
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby Flumpy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:49 am

bushop wrote:My outsiders view is...
Ennis is a UK superstar bringing more than enough to UK Athletics to justify providing her whatever she needs. On the flip side, I've read about Eriksson making nice with a seemingly goofball Phillips. I'd give every dime the UK gives Phillips to Minichiello. But again, I'm looking from the other side of the pond.


Because Phillips has been such a let down over the years hasn't he :roll:

The only problem Phillips had was CVC and he's now gone I should hope the new Head Coach make nice with our most bemedalled current athlete.
Flumpy
 
Posts: 3901
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby mump boy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:34 am

eldanielfire wrote:
mump boy wrote:Toni only coached Jess and not at a UKA base and you want them to continue to fund him individually ? :?

What if all our top athletes had individual coaches outside of the UKA frame work, should they all be individually funded as well ??

TM's job no longer exists in it's previous incarnation, he can take a job at Loughborough or act as a paid consultant but he can't pick and choose exactly what job he wants and how much it should pay

Obviously Jess should (and probably does) pay him, it's not UKA's responsibility and what has Phillips got to do with anything ??



Actually UKA scrapped his job, it didn't just go missing. They can create and scrap jobs at will and have done cretaing jobs to fit the people they wnat in the organisation. UKAs responsibility is achieving medals, their entire budget from the lottery is based upon achieving this and is not spending millions on doing what they want in the way they want. By directing funding away from a proven medal winning coach and likley future medalist they are not fufilling their responsibility to use their funding to get the most success which is their remit.


So if every one of our medal winning coaches wanted funding outside of the system for coaching 1 athlete you'd allow it ? :?

Funds wouldn't go very far for development, grass roots or everything else people are always complaining UKA don't invest enough in

UKA coaches are now based in Loughborough unless like Malcolm Arnold they coach more than one medallist. Toni is based in Sheffield, only coaches Jess and has been paid for the last 5 years to do so. The structure has now changed and it can't be UKA's job to indefinitely pay individual coaches to coach one person, no matter how successful, it makes no sense at all. I'm sure she already does but Jess made millions last year and will continue to do so for the rest of her career she can quite easily afford to pay him. If he wants to be paid by the governing body he'll have to find more potential medallists to train in Sheffield or move where the job is.
mump boy
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby mump boy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:12 am

bushop wrote:
mump boy wrote:Toni only coached Jess and not at a UKA base and you want them to continue to fund him individually ? :?

What if all our top athletes had individual coaches outside of the UKA frame work, should they all be individually funded as well ??

TM's job no longer exists in it's previous incarnation, he can take a job at Loughborough or act as a paid consultant but he can't pick and choose exactly what job he wants and how much it should pay

Obviously Jess should (and probably does) pay him, it's not UKA's responsibility and what has Phillips got to do with anything ??


I'd give every dime the UK gives Phillips to Minichiello.


After means testing i think it's very unlikely that Phillips gets anything but medical from UKA
mump boy
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby bushop » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:59 am

Flumpy wrote:
bushop wrote:On the flip side, I've read about Eriksson making nice with a seemingly goofball Phillips. I'd give every dime the UK gives Phillips to Minichiello. But again, I'm looking from the other side of the pond.
Because Phillips has been such a let down over the years hasn't he :roll:.

Hasn't he been a let down?
bushop
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby Flumpy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:50 am

No.

Olympic Games
Silver 2008 Beijing

World Championships
Gold 2009 Berlin
Silver 2011 Daegu

European Championships
Gold 2010 Barcelona

Commonwealth Games
Gold 2006 Melbourne
Silver 2002 Manchester

World Indoor Championships
Gold 2008 Valencia

European Indoor Championships
Gold 2007 Birmingham
Flumpy
 
Posts: 3901
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby eldanielfire » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:02 pm

mump boy wrote:
So if every one of our medal winning coaches wanted funding outside of the system for coaching 1 athlete you'd allow it ? :?

Funds wouldn't go very far for development, grass roots or everything else people are always complaining UKA don't invest enough in

UKA coaches are now based in Loughborough unless like Malcolm Arnold they coach more than one medallist. Toni is based in Sheffield, only coaches Jess and has been paid for the last 5 years to do so. The structure has now changed and it can't be UKA's job to indefinitely pay individual coaches to coach one person, no matter how successful, it makes no sense at all. I'm sure she already does but Jess made millions last year and will continue to do so for the rest of her career she can quite easily afford to pay him. If he wants to be paid by the governing body he'll have to find more potential medallists to train in Sheffield or move where the job is.



Given how much they have yes. It's not as if the Uk is saturated with medal winning coaches. Where on earth wold you wnat the funding to go to? It's not as if many British coaches have developed major medal winning athletes. He the only British coach who is currently coaching a current Olympic champion. Funds to be directed to proven success, not away from those who have provided medals will are the most likely source in the near future so they can divert resources to their experimental set-up.

You are acting like it is just unfortuant that jobs have ben lost, it's not, UKA have purposely moved the jobs around, they have been perfectly ahppy to create positions and jobs that suit the people they want and the people they want to import but clearly don't want to create a position for Minichello which is absurd considering what the aims of their funding are for.

You poinst about grassroot funding is irrevelant, Sport England are the main goal of that and Minichello coaches other athletes on the grassroots level already.
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby bushop » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:18 pm

mump boy wrote:What if all our top athletes had individual coaches outside of the UKA frame work, should they all be individually funded as well ??

From my perspective Ennis is not like the UK's other top athletes. Farah, who approaches Ennis's value to UK Athletics, has a full-time coach... and had to leave the UK to get him. Is that the model the UK wants?
bushop
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby mump boy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:16 pm

bushop wrote:
mump boy wrote:What if all our top athletes had individual coaches outside of the UKA frame work, should they all be individually funded as well ??

From my perspective Ennis is not like the UK's other top athletes. Farah, who approaches Ennis's value to UK Athletics, has a full-time coach... and had to leave the UK to get him. Is that the model the UK wants?


If it works i don't care, UKA sent Mo there.

I have no issue with TM getting paid and my argument is certainly not about him as an individual but you can't dictate the terms of what job is or isn;t on offer, there is a finite amount of money to go round and a lot of things to fund. Having some kind of centralisation makes sense and funded coaches have to contribute to that somehow, they can't all be off looking after individual athletes.

None of us know the details of negotiations between the 2 sides in this case to actually comment with any authority at all, so i'm leaving it there
mump boy
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby bushop » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:25 pm

mump boy wrote:None of us know the details of negotiations between the 2 sides in this case to actually comment with any authority at all, so i'm leaving it there

Fair enough.
bushop
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby justrunfast » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:19 am

Whats hilarious is that in a couple years when Rio is around the corner and the medal target is released TM will probably be offered a similar role as the one which now does not exist
justrunfast
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:17 pm

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby bushop » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:09 pm

Stewart leaves British athletics under a cloud after coaching Farah to gold
2 February 2013
"Ian Stewart leaves a reputation as a successful but occasionally fractious character, whose time with UKA featured a number of flare-ups."

Tough guy Stewart will be missed
February 3, 2013
"The departure of Ian Stewart from UK Athletics will be greeted with snide comments and secret celebrations. His bullish personality and powerful dual role as head of endurance and meet director at British televised events meant he was feared by many, respected by some, envied by a few and not exactly loved much."
Last edited by bushop on Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bushop
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby bushop » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:07 pm

justrunfast wrote:Whats hilarious is that in a couple years when Rio is around the corner and the medal target is released TM will probably be offered a similar role as the one which now does not exist

Rio medal goal is already released... more than London.

bushop wrote:Athletics - Team GB's Olympic heroics 'were only the beginning'
08 Sept 2012
"It [London] was the start of something better," Swede Eriksson said. "We need to go forward into 2016 and 2017 aiming to get more medals."
bushop
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby berkeley » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:35 pm

Flumpy wrote:No.

Olympic Games
Silver 2008 Beijing

World Championships
Gold 2009 Berlin
Silver 2011 Daegu

European Championships
Gold 2010 Barcelona

Commonwealth Games
Gold 2006 Melbourne
Silver 2002 Manchester

World Indoor Championships
Gold 2008 Valencia

European Indoor Championships
Gold 2007 Birmingham


And most of these were PRs or near-PRs. Idowu is a consummate competitor.
berkeley
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: London, UK

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby bushop » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:55 pm

Jessica Ennis's coach attacks British Athletics for 'lack of respect'
9 February 2013
"While Arnold [hurdles], Mahon [endurance] and Reider [sprints] have been offered full-time, lottery-funded positions, Minichiello has been penalised by a new structure that emphasises either working out of a centralised hub in Loughborough or coaching at least two world-class funded athletes to qualify for a job. Minichiello is unwilling to force Ennis to relocate from her native Sheffield... If you've only one person on the programme – regardless of the fact it's Jessica Ennis – you don't have value."

Is there a world-class, funded UK athlete looking for a coach?
bushop
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby mump boy » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:08 pm

bushop wrote:Jessica Ennis's coach attacks British Athletics for 'lack of respect'
9 February 2013
"While Arnold [hurdles], Mahon [endurance] and Reider [sprints] have been offered full-time, lottery-funded positions, Minichiello has been penalised by a new structure that emphasises either working out of a centralised hub in Loughborough or coaching at least two world-class funded athletes to qualify for a job. Minichiello is unwilling to force Ennis to relocate from her native Sheffield... If you've only one person on the programme – regardless of the fact it's Jessica Ennis – you don't have value."

Is there a world-class, funded UK athlete looking for a coach?


Exactly.
mump boy
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby bushop » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:31 pm

mump boy wrote:
bushop wrote:Jessica Ennis's coach attacks British Athletics for 'lack of respect'
9 February 2013
"While Arnold [hurdles], Mahon [endurance] and Reider [sprints] have been offered full-time, lottery-funded positions... "Is there a world-class, funded UK athlete looking for a coach?
Exactly.

Who do Arnold, Mahon and Reider coach?
bushop
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby 26mi235 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:17 pm

mump boy wrote:
So if every one of our medal winning coaches wanted funding outside of the system for coaching 1 athlete you'd allow it ? :?


He is coaching seven disciplines and probably the biggest Gold Medal of the Games -- she made the organization many millions (e.g., much more likely to get lottery funding with such performances, ..). It reminds me of JW's decision to switch coaches because of the money, penny-wise, pound foolish.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby lionelp1 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:52 am

mump boy wrote:
bushop wrote:Jessica Ennis's coach attacks British Athletics for 'lack of respect'
9 February 2013
"While Arnold [hurdles], Mahon [endurance] and Reider [sprints] have been offered full-time, lottery-funded positions, Minichiello has been penalised by a new structure that emphasises either working out of a centralised hub in Loughborough or coaching at least two world-class funded athletes to qualify for a job. Minichiello is unwilling to force Ennis to relocate from her native Sheffield... If you've only one person on the programme – regardless of the fact it's Jessica Ennis – you don't have value."

Is there a world-class, funded UK athlete looking for a coach?


Exactly.


Arnold, yes, a great coach for decades with a few top CVs under his belt. Mahon and Reider do tell us all about these imports . What endurance athletes is Mahon likely to produce when our sole outstanding distance runner is with Salazar and the only reasonably good guy in addition trains in USA and spends a large amount of his time injured.
As for Reider on the sprints... what sprints in this country?... a promising male sprinter at top level already has a coach I hear and the rest of our sprinters are second rate imo; despite predictions of what our young sprinters are going to do, they never seem to make it the top and stay there a while.
As for Minichiello, he took Ennis to the top, and I will bet a pound to a pinch of snuff that he is being offered peanuts compared to the fashionable Americans who come here expecting USA money,( just like American bankers :D ) , not the relative peanuts our coaches receive. I suppose someone is going to mention wonder coach Pfaff and his athletes; well Rutherford was a top LJer and Bleasdale was jumping 4.87 as a 19 year old before Mr Pfaff got his hands on them.

The current fashion at Brit Athletics that we MUST get American coaches will not be justified until I see a real increase in standards , with more Medals and more top ranked athletes at World level, way above the six or seven medallists that always happens at the big Champs.

Will we see improvements in Brit sprinting and our mediocre middle and long distance performances over the next few years . I am not holding my breath.
lionelp1
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:48 am

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby John G » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:33 am

lionelp1 wrote:What endurance athletes is Mahon likely to produce when our sole outstanding distance runner is with Salazar and the only reasonably good guy in addition trains in USA and spends a large amount of his time injured.
Will we see improvements in Brit sprinting and our mediocre middle and long distance performances over the next few years . I am not holding my breath.


The future 5 and 10k talents are probably running 1500s in their mid-teens. Take a look at the all-time U-17 list for 1500. 7 of the top 13 ranked runners ran their times in 2010 - 2012. Shirley and McMurray are ranked #s 1 & 2. I know the conversion rate of young talent into successful seniors is low but I still see this as reason for optimism.

I think there are a bunch of teenagers in the sport as a direct consequence of London 2012 and I think there are grounds for optimism that 2014 -2020 will be a very successful period for us.
John G
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • [Eriksson back to Canada?]

Postby bushop » Tue May 14, 2013 7:43 pm

Peter Eriksson is ready to quit as UK Athletics head coach after just seven months in the role
14 May 2013
"Peter Eriksson is set to quit his job as head coach of UK Athletics only seven months after taking over from Dutchman Charles van Commenee, plunging the sport into uncertainty just days before the start of the domestic outdoor season."
bushop
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • [Eriksson back to Canada?]

Postby athlete101 » Wed May 15, 2013 4:33 am

UKA/british athletics are becoming something of a joke. Regardless of the reason he hasn even lasted a year!
athlete101
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:16 pm

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • [Eriksson out, Minichiello in?

Postby bushop » Wed May 15, 2013 7:12 pm

Jessica Ennis's coach Toni Minichiello interested in becoming the head coach of UK Athletics
15 May 2013
"UK Athletics chief executive Niels de Vos said the recruitment process for Eriksson’s replacement would not begin until after the World Championships in Moscow in August, but Minichiello said he intended to apply."
bushop
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • [Eriksson out, Minichiello in?

Postby eldanielfire » Wed May 15, 2013 10:19 pm

bushop wrote:Jessica Ennis's coach Toni Minichiello interested in becoming the head coach of UK Athletics
15 May 2013
"UK Athletics chief executive Niels de Vos said the recruitment process for Eriksson’s replacement would not begin until after the World Championships in Moscow in August, but Minichiello said he intended to apply."


Now that is a twist.
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • T&F News says 4

Postby bushop » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:29 am

Who are the eighteen Moscow medal contenders?

2012:
Olympic medalists:
01) Jessica Ennis (hept) gold
02) Christine Ohuruogu (400m) silver
03) Mo Farah (10k) gold
04) Mo Farah (5k) gold
05) Greg Rutherford (LJ) gold
06) Robert Grabarz (HJ) bronze

Olympic top-12:
01) Dai Greene (400m h) 4th
02) men (4x400m) 4th
03) Yamilé Aldama (TJ) 5th
04) Steve Lewis (PV) 5th
05) Chris Tomlinson (LJ) 6th
06) Holly Bleasdale (PV) 6th
07) Shara Proctor (LJ) 9th
08) Lisa Dobriskey (1500) 10th
09) Laura Weightman (1500) 11th
10) Lawrence Okoye (DT) 12th
11) women (4x400m) 5th

T&F News Moscow World Championship medal picks:
01) Mo Farah (5k)
02) Mo Farah (10k)
03) men (4x100m)
04) Jessica Ennis-Hill (hept)
bushop
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • T&F News says 4

Postby bushop » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:36 am

Who are the eighteen Moscow medal contenders?

2012:
Olympic medalists:
01) Jessica Ennis (hept) gold
02) Christine Ohuruogu (400m) silver
03) Mo Farah (10k) gold
04) Mo Farah (5k) gold
05) Greg Rutherford (LJ) gold
06) Robert Grabarz (HJ) bronze

Olympic top-12:
01) Dai Greene (400m h) 4th
02) men (4x400m) 4th
03) Yamilé Aldama (TJ) 5th
04) Steve Lewis (PV) 5th
05) Chris Tomlinson (LJ) 6th
06) Holly Bleasdale (PV) 6th
07) Shara Proctor (LJ) 9th
08) Lisa Dobriskey (1500) 10th
09) Laura Weightman (1500) 11th
10) Lawrence Okoye (DT) 12th
11) women (4x400m) 5th

T&F News Moscow World Championship medal picks:
01) Mo Farah (5k)
02) Mo Farah (10k)
03) men (4x100m)
04) Jessica Ennis-Hill (hept)
bushop
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • T&F News says 4

Postby eldanielfire » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:25 pm

Who are the eighteen Moscow medal contenders?



T&F News Moscow World Championship medal picks:
01) Mo Farah (5k)
02) Mo Farah (10k)
03) men (4x100m)
04) Jessica Ennis-Hill (hept)
I would add the women's 4x400m as contenders, Holly Bleasdale if she learns to jump outside, Christine Ohuruoghu is heating up nicely, Grabarz after an indifferent early season is regaining form (but I doubt he will medal given the most HJ'ers of this season), one of our 1500m or 800m girls are always an outside possibility in the right race and an outside chance for Julia Bleasdale?
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • T&F News says 4

Postby iain » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:41 pm

I think as a possibility add Shara and men's 4x4 as these are two events where anyone could medal on the right day
iain
 
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:50 am

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • T&F News says 4

Postby jjimbojames » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:00 pm

iain wrote:I think as a possibility add Shara and men's 4x4 as these are two events where anyone could medal on the right day

Plus PSD in the 400mH and Rutherford in the mLJ - looks to be starting to get things together and things haven't moved on as much as I thought they might this year
jjimbojames
 
Posts: 747
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:16 am

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • T&F News says 4

Postby norunner » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:09 am

I think the w4x4 has a good chance of medaling. TBO and PSD around 50.5, Onuora 51.4 and Child should also be able to run around 51.5. To me that's a relay that can go below 3:20 and medal.
norunner
 
Posts: 1288
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:21 pm

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • T&F News says 4

Postby mump boy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:36 am

norunner wrote:I think the w4x4 has a good chance of medaling. TBO and PSD around 50.5, Onuora 51.4 and Child should also be able to run around 51.5. To me that's a relay that can go below 3:20 and medal.


It's great team on paper but i worry that i only contains 1 'relay' runner, someone we know will raise their game and run sub 50. When we ran 2.20.04 it was solely because Nicola dropped 48.7 and Lee ran a 50 flat blinder.

Although our potential team this year is better, they are going to have to turn that potential into a relay 'team' performance

Fingers crossed
mump boy
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • T&F News says 4

Postby bushop » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:31 pm

Who are the eighteen Moscow medal contenders?

2012:
Olympic medalists:
01) Jessica Ennis (hept) gold
02) Christine Ohuruogu (400m) silver
03) Mo Farah (10k) gold
04) Mo Farah (5k) gold
05) Greg Rutherford (LJ) gold
06) Robert Grabarz (HJ) bronze

Olympic top-12:
01) Dai Greene (400m h) 4th
02) men (4x400m) 4th
03) Yamilé Aldama (TJ) 5th
04) Steve Lewis (PV) 5th
05) Chris Tomlinson (LJ) 6th
06) Holly Bleasdale (PV) 6th
07) Shara Proctor (LJ) 9th
08) Lisa Dobriskey (1500) 10th
09) Laura Weightman (1500) 11th
10) Lawrence Okoye (DT) 12th
11) women (4x400m) 5th

T&F News Moscow World Championship medal picks:

no changes

01) Mo Farah (5k)
02) Mo Farah (10k)
03) men (4x100m)
04) Jessica Ennis-Hill (hept)
bushop
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • T&F News says 4

Postby lionelp1 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:09 pm

eldanielfire wrote:Who are the eighteen Moscow medal contenders?



T&F News Moscow World Championship medal picks:
01) Mo Farah (5k)
02) Mo Farah (10k)
03) men (4x100m)
04) Jessica Ennis-Hill (hept)
I would add the women's 4x400m as contenders, Holly Bleasdale if she learns to jump outside, Christine Ohuruoghu is heating up nicely, Grabarz after an indifferent early season is regaining form (but I doubt he will medal given the most HJ'ers of this season), one of our 1500m or 800m girls are always an outside possibility in the right race and an outside chance for Julia Bleasdale?


HB is not in Moscow team; Grabarcz ... not this year . The standard is way too high for him.. Julia Bleasdale has not run this summer .. presumably injured as we can expect from a wide range of Brit athletes.I do not see Jess being fit to enter, who knows.?

Medallists are, imo, Mo twice; possible 4x400m women. CO possible only this year. Cannot see any chance for our 1500m women and certainly not Okoro in the 800m. Rutherford may be in Moscow but there are guys fit and ready for 8.30 who will medal.
lionelp1
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:48 am

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • T&F News says 4

Postby mump boy » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:29 am

Perri
mump boy
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • T&F News says 4

Postby bushop » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:35 am

UK Athletics director: forget Olympics, the team for Moscow is better
Sean Ingle Sunday 4 August 2013
"We are without question, genuinely, in a better position going into the world championships than we were before London 2012," UK Athletics' performance director, Neil Black says. "We are better prepared. We are more focused. And we are even more excited in the potential that will come from this competition."
bushop
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • T&F News says 4

Postby eldanielfire » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:37 am

bushop wrote:UK Athletics director: forget Olympics, the team for Moscow is better
Sean Ingle Sunday 4 August 2013
"We are without question, genuinely, in a better position going into the world championships than we were before London 2012," UK Athletics' performance director, Neil Black says. "We are better prepared. We are more focused. And we are even more excited in the potential that will come from this competition."


He is talking rubbish. However I'm sure it will all get spun with some positives afterwards about most semi's made or something before they kick injured athletes off funding in December.
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 19 guests