UK's Beijing medal hopes •

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby Flumpy » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:33 am

fromage wrote:WTF does that mean " write off" Just because you and a few others are placing medals round CO' s neck means b*gger all to me.
She may get into the final but I and you dont know... And to think that John G knows she is likely to be running 49.6... and therefore is a medal prospect... how does anybody know such things???

It aint 2007 and it aint 2008 and my opinion is CO will not medal this time round.

But precisely no one has predicted a medal for TBO. It's simply been suggested that she has a chance, which she does, along with many other people.
Flumpy

Postby Flumpy » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:55 am

fortyacresandamule wrote:The only sure medals for the UK is Mo Farah and Ennis. I reckon due to home advantage they will win 5 medals in total.

Well if that's the case I don't think much of home advntage. We got 7 in Daegu last year :?
Flumpy

Postby shivfan » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:53 am

The trials are June 22-24, aren't they?

Will the Beeb be carrying it?
shivfan

Postby Flumpy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:29 am

It's on Sat and Sun but not a lot.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/15971129

I'm guessing it's on the Red Button or something.
Flumpy

Postby peach77 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:39 am

Flumpy wrote:But precisely no one has predicted a medal for TBO. It's simply been suggested that she has a chance, which she does, along with many other people.

THIS

As fans of GB Athletics, we're (I think I presume for many others here) are excited by the form of Christine this year as she's looked better than she has most years at this stage of the season. You should never write her off- I remember being on this forum in 2008 when so many were saying it just weeks before the Beijing Olympics and look what happened there.

We're FAR from saying she's a medal certainty, absolutely not, there's a mountain to climb yet, but is she a medal chance? ABSOLUTELY...
peach77

Postby fromage » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:52 am

If chance means "opportunity" then a dozen have the opportunity of a medal; any fan can talk "chance" and "maybe", "can" and is "capable of"; how many of the UK fans here actually believe that CO will get a medal in the 400m at the OG.

If I am wrong I will be happy to eat humble pie, but the fans who make hyped up predictions, when they are wrong never say a bloody word. Like the notorious Isabre e.g.
Put your predictions on line, fans; I do not think that she will Medal and this opinion is permitted, I believe; please let us not turn TFN Message Board in to an AW MB, thank you.

What the heck is Viren in the 70s, who was blood doping almost certainly when it was not banned, to do with CO 's chances. Weird!!
fromage

Postby John G » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:18 am

fromage wrote:What the heck is Viren in the 70s, who was blood doping almost certainly when it was not banned, to do with CO 's chances. Weird!!

My next sentence read: "There are some athletes who are proven big-time performers". That's why you don't write them off - regardless of what they do in the lead up to the champs.
John G

Postby John G » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:25 am

fromage wrote:If chance means "opportunity" then a dozen have the opportunity of a medal; any fan can talk "chance" and "maybe", "can" and is "capable of";

And that's exactly what has been the point of this discussion. The clue is in the title: "UK's London Olympic medal contenders" not "UK's London Olympic medal predictions".

If you want predictions, along with most others I think we're looking at Mo x 2; Jess; Phillips; Dai. Given the number of other contenders I think we'll grab a 6th - best bet Robbie Grabarz or M4x400.
John G

Postby peach77 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:33 am

Having just received an email from UK Athletics (who SHOULD know better) in which it was encouraging me to buy Olympic Trials tickets just to see Adam Gemili, you then get ABSOLUTE NONSENSE articles like this on the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18527642

We're all excited about the boy, but come on, no wonder people burn out early and get too much pressure too soon... :roll:

It makes me SO angry!
peach77

Postby norunner » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:58 am

peach77 wrote:Having just received an email from UK Athletics (who SHOULD know better) in which it was encouraging me to buy Olympic Trials tickets just to see Adam Gemili, you then get ABSOLUTE NONSENSE articles like this on the BBC

We're all excited about the boy, but come on, no wonder people burn out early and get too much pressure too soon... :roll:

It makes me SO angry!
If he can't take the pressure now he won't be able to do so later. I wonder what jamaican newspapers wrote about Bolt after he ran a 19.93 at the age of 17.
norunner

Postby peach77 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:11 am

He's run 10.08- nowhere near the same level that Bolt's 19.93 was at and is completely inexperienced. Yet he is being touted as the saviour of British athletics by certain parties...give the kid a break and let's see how he develops!
peach77

Postby fromage » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:38 am

Only thing worse than the Gemili stuff is the fact that the USAandJamaica Trials, the Europeans plus the DL in Paris are on and my dear witfe tells me we are on vacation during great part of this next fortnight.
fromage

Postby Flumpy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:48 am

But surely you plan your holidays around athletics meetings years in advance??? :?

Isn't that what EVERYBODY does?
Flumpy

Postby andyjgt » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:44 pm

Flumpy wrote:But surely you plan your holidays around athletics meetings years in advance??? :?

Isn't that what EVERYBODY does?

My family do (or I make them) to the degree that my parents are joining me in Helsinki!

(Not that they're coming to the games)

Is anyone going? If so should we meet up the day before the games?

If no to the latter, I'll be wearing a Ukraine football shirt on the first day, and an England or Germany one on the second day depending on whether Italy lose on Sunday.
andyjgt

Postby mump boy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:11 pm

fromage wrote:Only thing worse than the Gemili stuff is the fact that the USAandJamaica Trials, the Europeans plus the DL in Paris are on and my dear witfe tells me we are on vacation during great part of this next fortnight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2o9-jmtNoU
mump boy

Postby fromage » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:23 pm

Not after 50 years of connubial bliss :)
fromage

Postby shivfan » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:07 am

peach77 wrote:Pity the fool who EVER writes off The Big O...

She looked comfortable in winning the womens 400m at the trials.

Pity about jodie williams....
:o
shivfan

Postby shivfan » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:45 am

norunner wrote:
peach77 wrote:Having just received an email from UK Athletics (who SHOULD know better) in which it was encouraging me to buy Olympic Trials tickets just to see Adam Gemili, you then get ABSOLUTE NONSENSE articles like this on the BBC

It makes me SO angry!
If he can't take the pressure now he won't be able to do so later. I wonder what jamaican newspapers wrote about Bolt after he ran a 19.93 at the age of 17.

Well, to the great disappointment of certain sections of the British media, Chambers won in 10.26, Gemelli second in 10.29, and Dasaolu third in 10.31. Not particularly great times....

Ennis won the womens' 100m hurdles as Porter stumbled over the last hurdle.
shivfan

Postby mump boy » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:29 am

Good god these trials are shit

I have not seen one athlete of note raise their game :x
mump boy

Postby John G » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:22 am

mump boy wrote:Good god these trials are shit

Josie, aged 5, watching her first live athletics disagreed with you.

John, aged 46, also disagrees. Aside from the fact Jess was sensational in horrible conditions, I don't think it's about the 'athletes of note' (I assume you mean the medal hopes). i think it's about the athletes for whom the crowning glory of their lives will be scraping into an Olympic team or even an Olympic Trials final. I thought there were some great moments yesterday. The W800 and M3000SC were cracking races. The men's 400 heats were unbelievably tense. I also thought Gemili, Judd, Weightman and Sharp all looked like future world class athletes. possibly Murray too. Can't wait for today's.
John G

Postby fromage » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:26 am

well we can agree on that; a certain poster of repute tells us that the athletes in the UK trials did not really care anyway.

All about mentality, for me.
fromage

Postby fromage » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:34 am

My last post was to Mumps post; were you, John G , at the same trials as I watched. "The womens 800m was a cracking race ". :lol:

I will always recall this race as a sumptuous example of a so called top and experienced runner showing proof of the most inane stupidity possible. A ridiculous race.

The performances of all but Ennis as I immediately recall were ordinary verging on the poor or unconvincing ,with little or no people stepping up the plate signicantly for the OG Trials and dont tell me about the weather... it was cool, sure, just like Londons going to be. And Helsinki!!
fromage

Postby Speedster » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:49 am

Sadly I have to agree, where are the breakout performances? Are conditions that bad? Will Helskinki results select the final team?

Awful images of Jodie Williams breaking down during the 100m final, I didn't see the semi but she never looked comfortable in that race. Why would you let her run?

I'd hoped that's team of Abi, Jodie, Asha and one more could have challenged for a spot in the London finals but all have been struck with injury. Fingers crossed that Abi's twinge was just that and she'll be back in time.
Speedster

Postby fortyacresandamule » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:54 am

The British press glamorized mediocrity in the sport. Just making the A standard is seen as a great achievement. No wonder,their standard is so low.Not to mention the over-hyping of junior athletes when they show a little potential. All of a sudden they are going to be the next Bolt or Allyson Felix.
fortyacresandamule

Postby nevetsllim » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:07 am

Well at least things have brightened up with the long jump. Proctor broke the 29-year-old UK record with 6.95m (0.1) and the competition was almost definitely the best ever on home-soil among domestic athletes. Lorraine Ugen set a PB of 6.74m (she's sort of fell off the radar a bit after her wind-aided 6.80m+ in the USA a few months ago) with Jazmin Sawyers setting a PB and world junior leading mark of 6.64m.

Ennis was a bit :? though after a super day yesterday. 6.27m isn't overly tragic but she was having all sorts of problems with her run-up and only had one decent effort out of six. She really needs to learn how to consistently bang out a good jump in one of her opening rounds though.
nevetsllim

Postby mump boy » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:11 am

Speedster wrote:

Sadly I have to agree, where are the breakout performances? Are conditions that bad? Will Helskinki results select the final team?

Awful images of Jodie Williams breaking down during the 100m final, I didn't see the semi but she never looked comfortable in that race. Why would you let her run?

I'd hoped that's team of Abi, Jodie, Asha and one more could have challenged for a spot in the London finals but all have been struck with injury. Fingers crossed that Abi's twinge was just that and she'll be back in time.

Abi is fine buy precautionary to pull out, she'll be running 200m in Helsinki

Already today just in the wLJ we saw more great performances that the rest of the championships out together. I think they were inspired by the legendary Mary Rand being in attendance :D

Lorraine Ugen 1cm of A standard :cry: this is the kind of performance we haven't seen from anyone else, raising their game for 2012
mump boy

Postby GP72 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:40 am

I think it is good experience for juniors to compete at the junior level and maximise their winning performances. At the senior level it becomes much harder to win medals.
Having said that I also think if an athlete is capable and willing they should compete at the senior level (while a junior) in major competitions eg worlds, europeans, commonwealth and even the olympics.
GP72

Postby nevetsllim » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:27 am

Bleasdale 4.71m at the UK Champs. Peaking at the right time.
nevetsllim

Postby Speedster » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:17 am

mump boy wrote:
Speedster wrote:

Abi is fine buy precautionary to pull out, she'll be running 200m in Helsinki

Already today just in the wLJ we saw more great performances that the rest of the championships out together. I think they were inspired by the legendary Mary Rand being in attendance :D

Lorraine Ugen 1cm of A standard :cry: this is the kind of performance we haven't seen from anyone else, raising their game for 2012

Thanks for the update on Abi, great to hear. Much better second day with the 400mh, 400m, 200m and 110mh all gutsy competitive races.

FYI Mump/Flump, you both appeared on the Women's LJ coverage, on your phones no less!
Speedster

Postby mump boy » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:21 pm

Haha i missed that

Todays trials were great mostly because Mary Rand hugged me :D :D :D
mump boy

Postby fromage » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:38 am

Bearing in mind the comments I made numerous times about rushing Jodie last year and how wrong I thought it, I was interested to read Afilaka 's comments about Gemili in todays Telegraph with which I so agree; how inadvised it is to ruin careers by rushing young athletes into heavy senior competitions for which they are not mentally ready and his remarks about the number of young athletes who never recover from excessive pressure heaped on them by the notorious British media and others. Acc to Afilaka, Gemili was pooped by the pressures this w/e and the Juniors in Barcelona are priority numero uno.

sensible guy who seen it all before.

Hope Gemili concentrates on the the lesser task in the Juniors.
fromage

Postby mump boy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:20 am

i hope he concentrates 100% on Barcelona and then runs in london as an afterthought, he's earned his place and is not keeping anyone else of note out of the team
mump boy

Postby Flumpy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:24 am

It's also an Olympics in his home country, an opportunity that will never happen again.

He should though avoid the relay aand all media so as not to feed the idiotic hype that is bound to surround him.
Flumpy

Postby John G » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:10 am

fromage wrote:My last post was to Mumps post; were you, John G , at the same trials as I watched. "The womens 800m was a cracking race ". :lol:

I will always recall this race as a sumptuous example of a so called top and experienced runner showing proof of the most inane stupidity possible. A ridiculous race.

I thought Okoro's mistake just added to the drama. Great home straight battle between a veteran and a junior with a complete outsider coming through to take in the latter stages.

A lot of people think I'm quite strange, getting so much enjoyment from a minority sport. Didn't expect to get ridiculed for it on one of the sports own message boards. :lol:

Serious question, Fromage - why do you follow the sport?
John G

Postby bushop » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:44 am

Aust targets six Olympics athletics medals
June 25, 2012
"Athletics Australia high performance manager Eric Hollingsworth has long flagged an ambitious target of six medals in London - a figure not achieved by Australia at Olympic or world championships level since Mexico City in 1968."

Jessica Zelinka, Dylan Armstrong head Canada's Olympic track squad
Jul 1, 2012
"Canada has targeted three medals in London and between six and eight top-eight finishes."
Last edited by bushop on Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bushop

Postby bushop » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:45 am

Final British team named for European Championships
Who are the 17-18 possible medalist?
bushop

Postby fromage » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:42 am

John G,
Anybody who thinks that pleasure from Track and Field is strange is weird; its a great sport relatively untainted by the crazy excesses of national team sports , vast amounts of money, ridiculous egos , etc, etc. the world over, especially professional ball sports such as soccer, and the corrupt stuff in another country! Minority sport , be buggered. A great sport.A centre piece of the OG.

I follow our great sport more in my seventies than I did since the 48 games ,as I have more time and the tv and computer connects me all over the world with whats happening, and instantly.

I profoundly disagree with your estimation of a great race in the womens 800m at the w/e with a lot of moderate talents afraid to even follow through to a sub 2 mins result and the crazy running of Okoro.

I abhor the attitude that we are all bound to say nothing but wonderful( so called "positive") things about our own countries athletes, even when unjustified and unrealistic; sadly, a lot of track fans around, especially in ones own country, think that love of our sport translates to little interest in Track and field around the globe merely at home.

Frankly, I am at least as interested, or even more, in many cases in the American Olympic Trials than the milk and water stuff over the w/e in Birmingham.
fromage

Postby bushop » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:54 am

mump boy wrote:
norunner wrote:The british 4x100 women just kicked themselves out of the olympics[at the European Championships]. Poland and Switzerland made it into the top 16 and Australia and GBR are out.
I'm furious about the 4x1
UK have made absolutely no attempt to qualify until today total, incompetence and apathy
:evil:
bushop

Postby bushop » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:35 am

British Olympic team
July 3, 2012

British Olympic team
WOMEN
100m: Anyika Onuora, Abi Oyepitan
200m: Margaret Adeoye, Onuora, Oyepitan
400m: Shana Cox, Lee McConnell, Christine Ohuruogu
800m: Lynsey Sharp
1500m: Lisa Dobriskey, Hannah England, Laura Weightman
5000m: Julia Bleasdale, Barbara Parker, Jo Pavey
10,000m: Bleasdale, Pavey
3000mSC: Eilish McColgan, Parker
100mH: Jessica Ennis, Tiffany Porter
400mH: Eilidh Child, Perri Shakes-Drayton
Pole vault: Holly Bleasdale, Kate Dennison
Long jump: Shara Proctor
Triple jump: Yamile Aldama
Hammer: Sophie Hitchon
Javelin: Goldie Sayers
Heptathlon: Ennis, Louise Hazel, Katarina Johnson-Thompson
20kmW: Johanna Jackson
4x400m: Child, Cox, Emily Diamond, McConnell, Ohuruogu, Marilyn Okoro, Nicola Sanders, Shakes-Drayton

MEN
100m: Dwain Chambers, James Dasaolu, Adam Gemili
200m: James Ellington, Christian Malcolm
400m: Nigel Levine, Martyn Rooney, Conrad Williams
800m: Andrew Osagie, Michael Rimmer
1500m: Andy Baddeley, Ross Murray
5000m: Mo Farah, Nick McCormick
10,000m: Farah, Chris Thompson
3000mSC: Stuart Stokes
110mH: Lawrence Clarke, Andrew Pozzi, Andy Turner
400mH: Jack Green, Dai Greene, Rhys Williams
High jump: Robbie Grabarz
Pole vault: Steve Lewis
Long jump: Greg Rutherford, Chris Tomlinson
Triple jump: Phillips Idowu
Shot: Carl Myerscough
Discus: Abdul Buhari, Brett Morse, Lawrence Okoye
Hammer: Alex Smith
Javelin: Mervyn Luckwell
Decathlon: Daniel Awde
50kmW: Dominic King
4x100m: Chambers, Dasaolu, Ellington, Gemili, Mark Lewis-Francis, Malcolm, Danny Talbot, Simeon Williamson
4x400m: Richard Buck, Green, Greene, Luke Lennon-Ford, Levine, Rooney, Rob Tobin, Williams
Last edited by bushop on Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
bushop

Postby Flumpy » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:47 am

bushop wrote:British Olympic team
July 3, 2012
"Other events, meanwhile, were left open as athletes were given a chance to chase further qualifying marks in the lead up to the deadline."

What does this mean? Who?
Flumpy

PreviousNext