UK's Beijing medal hopes •


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby mump boy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:41 pm

IanS_Liv wrote:
mump boy wrote:More than i can say for Krivoshapka who i would suggest is highly unlikely to match her recent 49.40 in London

I know it's unlikely but I would love AK49 to win (if TBO doesn't that is). Purely to buck the trend.

Oh, and that article is right I think, Bushop. I have a feeling this is going to be a fairly new team. MLF and Devonish are unlikely to make the relay squad.


I don't really expect any of the people mentioned to be on the team but i would ALWAYS have Marlon on the 3rd leg of the relay we have no one to compare
mump boy
 
Posts: 5636
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby John G » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:54 am

fromage wrote:Nothing like the usual OTT about our athletes chances, before a WC/OG. :)

On what convincing grounds this year so far can one state that CO is a medal chance. Where is the justifaction..... 50.69??? who knows what the next weeks will bring, but to tell us that CO is a medal chance... is far fetched, in my opinion, based on this years rankings . But the CO groupies keep telling us that her times are similar to previous years when she won by the narrowest of margins her Goldies. Does not follow that this year will be the same as 4 and 5 years ago.

A Jamaican, SRR , Montsho and Krivoshapka to mention 4 athletes or even at a pinch McCorory, have as much or more right to be called "medal chances" than Ohuruogu.


Presumably, had you been Finnish in the mid-70s you would have writing off Viren as a medal chance for Montreal. There are some athletes who are proven big-time performers. Based upon past experience we know that if CO is running 50.6 before a champs, she's likely to be running 49.6 in the champs. That gives you a medal chance.

(Experience also tells us that Russians run low 49.x before a champs but rarely match that sort of time when it matters).
John G
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby peach77 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:09 am

Pity the fool who EVER writes off The Big O...
peach77
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:26 am

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby fromage » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:28 am

WTF does that mean " write off" Just because you and a few others are placing medals round CO' s neck means b*gger all to me.
She may get into the final but I and you dont know... And to think that John G knows she is likely to be running 49.6... and therefore is a medal prospect... how does anybody know such things???

It aint 2007 and it aint 2008 and my opinion is CO will not medal this time round.
fromage
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 10:31 pm

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby fortyacresandamule » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:32 am

The only sure medals for the UK is Mo Farah and Ennis. I reckon due to home advantage they will win 5 medals in total.

1. MO (x2)

2. J. Ennis

3. P. Idowu

4. 4x4 ( mens)
fortyacresandamule
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:24 pm

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby Flumpy » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:33 am

fromage wrote:WTF does that mean " write off" Just because you and a few others are placing medals round CO' s neck means b*gger all to me.
She may get into the final but I and you dont know... And to think that John G knows she is likely to be running 49.6... and therefore is a medal prospect... how does anybody know such things???

It aint 2007 and it aint 2008 and my opinion is CO will not medal this time round.


But precisely no one has predicted a medal for TBO. It's simply been suggested that she has a chance, which she does, along with many other people.
Flumpy
 
Posts: 3899
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby Flumpy » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:55 am

fortyacresandamule wrote:The only sure medals for the UK is Mo Farah and Ennis. I reckon due to home advantage they will win 5 medals in total.


Well if that's the case I don't think much of home advntage. We got 7 in Daegu last year :?
Flumpy
 
Posts: 3899
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby shivfan » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:53 am

The trials are June 22-24, aren't they?

Will the Beeb be carrying it?
shivfan
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:30 am
Location: Just outside London

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby Flumpy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:29 am

It's on Sat and Sun but not a lot.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/15971129

I'm guessing it's on the Red Button or something.
Flumpy
 
Posts: 3899
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby peach77 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:39 am

Flumpy wrote:But precisely no one has predicted a medal for TBO. It's simply been suggested that she has a chance, which she does, along with many other people.


THIS

As fans of GB Athletics, we're (I think I presume for many others here) are excited by the form of Christine this year as she's looked better than she has most years at this stage of the season. You should never write her off- I remember being on this forum in 2008 when so many were saying it just weeks before the Beijing Olympics and look what happened there.

We're FAR from saying she's a medal certainty, absolutely not, there's a mountain to climb yet, but is she a medal chance? ABSOLUTELY...
peach77
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:26 am

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby fromage » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:52 am

If chance means "opportunity" then a dozen have the opportunity of a medal; any fan can talk "chance" and "maybe", "can" and is "capable of"; how many of the UK fans here actually believe that CO will get a medal in the 400m at the OG.

If I am wrong I will be happy to eat humble pie, but the fans who make hyped up predictions, when they are wrong never say a bloody word. Like the notorious Isabre e.g.
Put your predictions on line, fans; I do not think that she will Medal and this opinion is permitted, I believe; please let us not turn TFN Message Board in to an AW MB, thank you.

What the heck is Viren in the 70s, who was blood doping almost certainly when it was not banned, to do with CO 's chances. Weird!!
fromage
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 10:31 pm

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby John G » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:18 am

fromage wrote:What the heck is Viren in the 70s, who was blood doping almost certainly when it was not banned, to do with CO 's chances. Weird!!


My next sentence read: "There are some athletes who are proven big-time performers". That's why you don't write them off - regardless of what they do in the lead up to the champs.
John G
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby John G » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:25 am

fromage wrote:If chance means "opportunity" then a dozen have the opportunity of a medal; any fan can talk "chance" and "maybe", "can" and is "capable of";

And that's exactly what has been the point of this discussion. The clue is in the title: "UK's London Olympic medal contenders" not "UK's London Olympic medal predictions".

If you want predictions, along with most others I think we're looking at Mo x 2; Jess; Phillips; Dai. Given the number of other contenders I think we'll grab a 6th - best bet Robbie Grabarz or M4x400.
John G
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby peach77 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:33 am

Having just received an email from UK Athletics (who SHOULD know better) in which it was encouraging me to buy Olympic Trials tickets just to see Adam Gemili, you then get ABSOLUTE NONSENSE articles like this on the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18527642

We're all excited about the boy, but come on, no wonder people burn out early and get too much pressure too soon... :roll:

It makes me SO angry!
peach77
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:26 am

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby norunner » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:58 am

peach77 wrote:Having just received an email from UK Athletics (who SHOULD know better) in which it was encouraging me to buy Olympic Trials tickets just to see Adam Gemili, you then get ABSOLUTE NONSENSE articles like this on the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18527642

We're all excited about the boy, but come on, no wonder people burn out early and get too much pressure too soon... :roll:

It makes me SO angry!
If he can't take the pressure now he won't be able to do so later. I wonder what jamaican newspapers wrote about Bolt after he ran a 19.93 at the age of 17.
norunner
 
Posts: 1284
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:21 pm

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby peach77 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:11 am

He's run 10.08- nowhere near the same level that Bolt's 19.93 was at and is completely inexperienced. Yet he is being touted as the saviour of British athletics by certain parties...give the kid a break and let's see how he develops!
peach77
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:26 am

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby fromage » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:38 am

Only thing worse than the Gemili stuff is the fact that the USAandJamaica Trials, the Europeans plus the DL in Paris are on and my dear witfe tells me we are on vacation during great part of this next fortnight.
fromage
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 10:31 pm

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby Flumpy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:48 am

But surely you plan your holidays around athletics meetings years in advance??? :?

Isn't that what EVERYBODY does?
Flumpy
 
Posts: 3899
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby andyjgt » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:44 pm

Flumpy wrote:But surely you plan your holidays around athletics meetings years in advance??? :?

Isn't that what EVERYBODY does?


My family do (or I make them) to the degree that my parents are joining me in Helsinki!

(Not that they're coming to the games)

Is anyone going? If so should we meet up the day before the games?

If no to the latter, I'll be wearing a Ukraine football shirt on the first day, and an England or Germany one on the second day depending on whether Italy lose on Sunday.
andyjgt
 
Posts: 833
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Deepest Polynesia

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby mump boy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:11 pm

fromage wrote:Only thing worse than the Gemili stuff is the fact that the USAandJamaica Trials, the Europeans plus the DL in Paris are on and my dear witfe tells me we are on vacation during great part of this next fortnight.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2o9-jmtNoU
mump boy
 
Posts: 5636
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby fromage » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:23 pm

Not after 50 years of connubial bliss :)
fromage
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 10:31 pm

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby shivfan » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:07 am

peach77 wrote:Pity the fool who EVER writes off The Big O...

She looked comfortable in winning the womens 400m at the trials.

Pity about jodie williams....
:o
shivfan
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:30 am
Location: Just outside London

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby shivfan » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:45 am

norunner wrote:
peach77 wrote:Having just received an email from UK Athletics (who SHOULD know better) in which it was encouraging me to buy Olympic Trials tickets just to see Adam Gemili, you then get ABSOLUTE NONSENSE articles like this on the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18527642

We're all excited about the boy, but come on, no wonder people burn out early and get too much pressure too soon... :roll:

It makes me SO angry!
If he can't take the pressure now he won't be able to do so later. I wonder what jamaican newspapers wrote about Bolt after he ran a 19.93 at the age of 17.

Well, to the great disappointment of certain sections of the British media, Chambers won in 10.26, Gemelli second in 10.29, and Dasaolu third in 10.31. Not particularly great times....

Ennis won the womens' 100m hurdles as Porter stumbled over the last hurdle.
shivfan
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:30 am
Location: Just outside London

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby mump boy » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:29 am

Good god these trials are shit

I have not seen one athlete of note raise their game :x
mump boy
 
Posts: 5636
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby John G » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:22 am

mump boy wrote:Good god these trials are shit

I have not seen one athlete of note raise their game :x


Josie, aged 5, watching her first live athletics disagreed with you.

John, aged 46, also disagrees. Aside from the fact Jess was sensational in horrible conditions, I don't think it's about the 'athletes of note' (I assume you mean the medal hopes). i think it's about the athletes for whom the crowning glory of their lives will be scraping into an Olympic team or even an Olympic Trials final. I thought there were some great moments yesterday. The W800 and M3000SC were cracking races. The men's 400 heats were unbelievably tense. I also thought Gemili, Judd, Weightman and Sharp all looked like future world class athletes. possibly Murray too. Can't wait for today's.
John G
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby fromage » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:26 am

well we can agree on that; a certain poster of repute tells us that the athletes in the UK trials did not really care anyway.

All about mentality, for me.
fromage
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 10:31 pm

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby fromage » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:34 am

My last post was to Mumps post; were you, John G , at the same trials as I watched. "The womens 800m was a cracking race ". :lol:

I will always recall this race as a sumptuous example of a so called top and experienced runner showing proof of the most inane stupidity possible. A ridiculous race.


The performances of all but Ennis as I immediately recall were ordinary verging on the poor or unconvincing ,with little or no people stepping up the plate signicantly for the OG Trials and dont tell me about the weather... it was cool, sure, just like Londons going to be. And Helsinki!!
fromage
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 10:31 pm

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby Speedster » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:49 am

mump boy wrote:Good god these trials are shit

I have not seen one athlete of note raise their game :x


Sadly I have to agree, where are the breakout performances? Are conditions that bad? Will Helskinki results select the final team?

Awful images of Jodie Williams breaking down during the 100m final, I didn't see the semi but she never looked comfortable in that race. Why would you let her run?

I'd hoped that's team of Abi, Jodie, Asha and one more could have challenged for a spot in the London finals but all have been struck with injury. Fingers crossed that Abi's twinge was just that and she'll be back in time.
Speedster
 
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: London

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby fortyacresandamule » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:54 am

The British press glamorized mediocrity in the sport. Just making the A standard is seen as a great achievement. No wonder,their standard is so low.Not to mention the over-hyping of junior athletes when they show a little potential. All of a sudden they are going to be the next Bolt or Allyson Felix.
fortyacresandamule
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:24 pm

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby nevetsllim » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:07 am

Well at least things have brightened up with the long jump. Proctor broke the 29-year-old UK record with 6.95m (0.1) and the competition was almost definitely the best ever on home-soil among domestic athletes. Lorraine Ugen set a PB of 6.74m (she's sort of fell off the radar a bit after her wind-aided 6.80m+ in the USA a few months ago) with Jazmin Sawyers setting a PB and world junior leading mark of 6.64m.

Ennis was a bit :? though after a super day yesterday. 6.27m isn't overly tragic but she was having all sorts of problems with her run-up and only had one decent effort out of six. She really needs to learn how to consistently bang out a good jump in one of her opening rounds though.
nevetsllim
 
Posts: 6261
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:54 am

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby mump boy » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:11 am

Speedster wrote:
mump boy wrote:Good god these trials are shit

I have not seen one athlete of note raise their game :x


Sadly I have to agree, where are the breakout performances? Are conditions that bad? Will Helskinki results select the final team?

Awful images of Jodie Williams breaking down during the 100m final, I didn't see the semi but she never looked comfortable in that race. Why would you let her run?

I'd hoped that's team of Abi, Jodie, Asha and one more could have challenged for a spot in the London finals but all have been struck with injury. Fingers crossed that Abi's twinge was just that and she'll be back in time.


Abi is fine buy precautionary to pull out, she'll be running 200m in Helsinki

Already today just in the wLJ we saw more great performances that the rest of the championships out together. I think they were inspired by the legendary Mary Rand being in attendance :D

Lorraine Ugen 1cm of A standard :cry: this is the kind of performance we haven't seen from anyone else, raising their game for 2012
mump boy
 
Posts: 5636
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby GP72 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:40 am

I think it is good experience for juniors to compete at the junior level and maximise their winning performances. At the senior level it becomes much harder to win medals.
Having said that I also think if an athlete is capable and willing they should compete at the senior level (while a junior) in major competitions eg worlds, europeans, commonwealth and even the olympics.
GP72
 
Posts: 393
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby nevetsllim » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:27 am

Bleasdale 4.71m at the UK Champs. Peaking at the right time.
nevetsllim
 
Posts: 6261
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:54 am

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby Speedster » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:17 am

mump boy wrote:
Speedster wrote:
mump boy wrote:Good god these trials are shit

I have not seen one athlete of note raise their game :x


Sadly I have to agree, where are the breakout performances? Are conditions that bad? Will Helskinki results select the final team?

Awful images of Jodie Williams breaking down during the 100m final, I didn't see the semi but she never looked comfortable in that race. Why would you let her run?

I'd hoped that's team of Abi, Jodie, Asha and one more could have challenged for a spot in the London finals but all have been struck with injury. Fingers crossed that Abi's twinge was just that and she'll be back in time.


Abi is fine buy precautionary to pull out, she'll be running 200m in Helsinki

Already today just in the wLJ we saw more great performances that the rest of the championships out together. I think they were inspired by the legendary Mary Rand being in attendance :D

Lorraine Ugen 1cm of A standard :cry: this is the kind of performance we haven't seen from anyone else, raising their game for 2012


Thanks for the update on Abi, great to hear. Much better second day with the 400mh, 400m, 200m and 110mh all gutsy competitive races.

FYI Mump/Flump, you both appeared on the Women's LJ coverage, on your phones no less!
Speedster
 
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: London

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby mump boy » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:21 pm

Haha i missed that

Todays trials were great mostly because Mary Rand hugged me :D :D :D
mump boy
 
Posts: 5636
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby fromage » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:38 am

Bearing in mind the comments I made numerous times about rushing Jodie last year and how wrong I thought it, I was interested to read Afilaka 's comments about Gemili in todays Telegraph with which I so agree; how inadvised it is to ruin careers by rushing young athletes into heavy senior competitions for which they are not mentally ready and his remarks about the number of young athletes who never recover from excessive pressure heaped on them by the notorious British media and others. Acc to Afilaka, Gemili was pooped by the pressures this w/e and the Juniors in Barcelona are priority numero uno.

sensible guy who seen it all before.

Hope Gemili concentrates on the the lesser task in the Juniors.
fromage
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 10:31 pm

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby mump boy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:20 am

i hope he concentrates 100% on Barcelona and then runs in london as an afterthought, he's earned his place and is not keeping anyone else of note out of the team
mump boy
 
Posts: 5636
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby Flumpy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:24 am

It's also an Olympics in his home country, an opportunity that will never happen again.

He should though avoid the relay aand all media so as not to feed the idiotic hype that is bound to surround him.
Flumpy
 
Posts: 3899
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby John G » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:10 am

fromage wrote:My last post was to Mumps post; were you, John G , at the same trials as I watched. "The womens 800m was a cracking race ". :lol:

I will always recall this race as a sumptuous example of a so called top and experienced runner showing proof of the most inane stupidity possible. A ridiculous race.


I thought Okoro's mistake just added to the drama. Great home straight battle between a veteran and a junior with a complete outsider coming through to take in the latter stages.

A lot of people think I'm quite strange, getting so much enjoyment from a minority sport. Didn't expect to get ridiculed for it on one of the sports own message boards. :lol:

Serious question, Fromage - why do you follow the sport?
John G
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby bushop » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:44 am

Aust targets six Olympics athletics medals
June 25, 2012
"Athletics Australia high performance manager Eric Hollingsworth has long flagged an ambitious target of six medals in London - a figure not achieved by Australia at Olympic or world championships level since Mexico City in 1968."

Jessica Zelinka, Dylan Armstrong head Canada's Olympic track squad
Jul 1, 2012
"Canada has targeted three medals in London and between six and eight top-eight finishes."
Last edited by bushop on Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bushop
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot] and 13 guests