UK's Beijing medal hopes •

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby 72 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:36 am

[quote

She really is a :?: at the moment as we've not seen her complete a heptathlon since 2008. Italy will be telling so let's see. Perhaps the 4 year break from multi's training has given her body the rest it needed and she'll be back near her best? But she's now 35 so it's very doubtful she will be. In her last few seasons as a heptathlete she under performed in her jumps, and I think she will do the same again. She has to be aiming for 1.80 in the HJ and 6.30 in the LJ if she wants to finish top 6. I think achieving both of these will be difficult. However, there's no reason why she shouldn't be throwing way over 14m in the SP. As long as the weight she appears to have put back on is quality muscle, she should still be able to throw far in the shot at her age. This is definitely one event where she shouldn't lose too much. Running wise, 13.3 would be ideal but with a PB of just insoide 13.2 I would imagine she'll be looking at 13.4. In the 200m those years over 400m will hopefully mean she hasnt lost too much, but she'll need between 23.5 and 23.9; she has to run sub 24. Over 800m I think she cna still run a 2:10 or under.[/quote]

well I will be very surprised if KS achieves more than 6200; I would go for Louise if she is fit and qualifies. Isn't KJT going to concentrate on Barcelona this year?

Postby pakillo » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:17 am

mump boy wrote:nobody who is selected for London is supposed to be on the Helsinki team but i don't think it would do any harm for some athletes and i would especially like to see the relay teams compete at the euros.

I hope it won't be that bad, but I can expect Dwain Chambers in Helsinki.
pakillo

Postby mump boy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:54 am

pakillo wrote:
mump boy wrote:nobody who is selected for London is supposed to be on the Helsinki team but i don't think it would do any harm for some athletes and i would especially like to see the relay teams compete at the euros.

I hope it won't be that bad, but I can expect Dwain Chambers in Helsinki.

Fingers crossed
mump boy

Postby gh » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:05 am

I've been told that field eventers, and maybe relay runners, will be in Helsinki. Did I hear correctly?
gh

Postby dunedine » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:12 am

As far as I know, KJT's main target is London and, secondly, the World U20 Champs.
dunedine

Postby nevetsllim » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:37 pm

pakillo wrote:How things are going with British team and European Champs this year? British trials are very close to Europeans. Jessica Ennis won't be in Helsinki, that's all I know.

That's right - although Chernova is apparently doing the Europeans.
nevetsllim

Postby pakillo » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:49 am

nevetsllim wrote:
pakillo wrote:How things are going with British team and European Champs this year? British trials are very close to Europeans. Jessica Ennis won't be in Helsinki, that's all I know.

That's right - although Chernova is apparently doing the Europeans.

Dobrynska looks forward to Europeans . Some teams will have Europeans as crucial for earning the place for London. E.g.Spanish Champs is, this year, after the Euros and after the London Games and performance at the Europeans could be decisive.
pakillo

Postby bushop » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:53 pm

Radcliffe eyes bronze
April 10, 2012 10:56am
"I'm the first to admit this isn't my best chance, but I still have a chance, and when you have a chance - whatever your goal - you just have to give it 100% and see what happens."
bushop

Postby IanS_Liv » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:02 pm

gh wrote:I've been told that field eventers, and maybe relay runners, will be in Helsinki. Did I hear correctly?

Yep. That's pretty much what we've been led to believe. Plus any others who're qualified but not likely to be selected for London. The Euros is a trial run for field eventers and relay teams. It is definitely NOT a high priority.
IanS_Liv

Postby mump boy » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:58 pm

mump boy

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:12 pm

Some will remember my rather critical remarks about "O" and the 4x400. The performance this last indoors had her in completely different mental form for the 4x400; in this case she ran better than her open race rather than like a journeyman runner on a second-tier team. That might not be enough of a difference, but I expect her to be a consideration in the 100 and if her new-found relay prowess is there, an inspired team at home might take several big scalps.
26mi235

Postby peach77 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:54 am

The Big O's gonna GETCHA!

I will be the first to admit I've had reservations about Chrissy in recent years but the thing is with the O, you can NEVER discount her and people here and in the media certainly have done that- surely that plays to her advantage? The pressure is entirely off her (at the moment) and the thing everyone seems to overlook is that she has been MASSIVELY injured every year since 2009. I hope she can at least be a contender again, I still don't think 49.6 comes close to her actual potential (that's a whole other thread...) and she is the one of the ultimate big time/clutch performers for me- and it doesn't come much more "big time" than at a hometown Olympics.

BRING IT ON!
peach77

Postby Flumpy » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:38 am

Where've you been???
Flumpy

Postby peach77 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:45 pm

Lurking mostly! When my last profile's week long ban for some spurious reason never got listed I couldn't really be arsed posting...I'm still very much paying attention, mind...!
peach77

Postby jlt » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:29 am

Just seen Paula's run in Vienna. What are her chances in London? I'm thinking she might be considered something like 8 or 10th favourite 'on merit'.......am interested what others think.....
jlt

Postby 72 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:22 am

I 'd say her chances are more as to whether she will be on the start line in London; but her run will be full of the usual drama before the race.
Today she looked a very ordinary runner and we can be sure that we will be reading about all the health stuff tomorrow in the British Press. Old(er) athletes are a bit like old soldiers ... just slowly fade away. Sad but inevitable that her greatness is well behind her.

Postby dunedine » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:12 am

Radcliffe has been affected by pleurisy lately so none should jump to any conclusions yet. There are still over three and a half months to go until the marathon in London and 72:03 is a place from where she can leap into sub 70 within short time if fully fit. I think gold is slipping out of her reach but she could still medal if she shakes off her current health issues.
dunedine

Postby 72 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:46 am

I will be very surprised if PR makes the top six in August. Her body has taken an enormous beating up over 20 years and all the signs are she will now struggle with the top East Africans and others irrespective of the next 3 months training and reasonable health.

Postby mump boy » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:59 am

72 wrote:I will be very surprised if PR makes the top six in August. Her body has taken an enormous beating up over 20 years and all the signs are she will now struggle with the top East Africans and others irrespective of the next 3 months training and reasonable health.

Unfortunately i agree with this, on a day in which 2 Ethiopians ran Sub 2.19 and sub 2.22 Paula couldn't run anywhere near that fast for half the distance :(

add to that Mary Keitany, Edna and Florence Kipligat, Lilya Shubakova, assorted other ETH, RUS, CHN, JAP etc etc

i'm not holding out much hope
mump boy

Postby Flumpy » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:57 am

And yet the last Olympic Marathon was won by 38 year old Constantina Dita :?

I'm not suggesting that Paula's going to do the same just that times often don't mean anything in championship marathons.
Flumpy

Postby nevetsllim » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:06 am

Paula didn't mention she was affected by any sort of injuries during the race so I guess that's a positive. She just said her legs felt heavy which was due to the bronchitis. I think I'd be more concerned if she was in the same situation as this time last year when she ran even worse over 10km in London and was complaining about her back.
nevetsllim

Postby Gabriella » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:39 am

Flumpy wrote:And yet the last Olympic Marathon was won by 38 year old Constantina Dita :?

39 yr old Irinia Mikitenko ran 31:42 over 10k on the road last week. She's not in her 2009 form but it's a good performance especially at her age and considering she's also had some injuries lately.

Both Dita and Mikitenko have shown that you can still run brilliantly well near 40. Paula's problem has been she has just pushed herself to the max so much, can she train smart and not go over the top leading up the London? I fear she'll just punish herself.

Still, if she completes the race and is smiling I'll be happy.
Gabriella

Postby mump boy » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:48 am

Flumpy wrote:And yet the last Olympic Marathon was won by 38 year old Constantina Dita :?

I'm not suggesting that Paula's going to do the same just that times often don't mean anything in championship marathons.

Everyone keeps going on about Constantina but but it was an aberration and everyone underestimated her, nobody is going to let Paula run off by herself.

Yes anything can happen in the Marathon but this is going to be the strongest OG field of all time and unfortunately i don't think Paula has the weapons to compete like she once did. Despite winning NY a couple of times she hasn't actually run an impressive marathon since 2005. There is no one i want to get a medal in London than Paula but at this stage i don't see it happening, i hope i'm wrong
mump boy

Postby John G » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:24 am

I love Paula but she can be frustrating at times. In her BBC interview yesterday she said of the Vienna run: ""I am at a loss to explain why it was quite so bad" and "The thing that worries me is that I did not feel myself out there while running. The danger is that it affects my confidence [for the London Olympics]." Then in the same breath: ""I know that racing on antibiotics isn't the best idea." This coming from the runner who lost a gold medal in 2004 because of the way her body reacted to antibiotics.

Clearly, she felt she had recovered well enough from the pleurisy and bronchitis to compete but surely a runner with her experience can recognise that she was wrong and put the performance down to the illness and loss of training. Of course the sensible thing would have been to drop out and avoid the risk of making herself ill but she felt she had to carry on: "The format of the race meant that I could not stop, even though I felt really bad, so I tried to just keep going".

This in turn begs the question why did an athlete with her record of injuries and illness sign up to an event that was totally dependent upon her participation?

I realise that without this single-minded approach and occasional disregard for her own health and well-being is just the flip-side to other personaility traits that resulted in "2:15". I just wish that at 38 she had a little more self-insight and perspective.

Let's hope she recovers quickly and yesterday's effort hasn't made her ill. I'm no doctor but I've had chest conditions, including pleurisy that I've made considerably worse by running and found very hard to shake off as a consequence.
John G

Postby nevetsllim » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:47 am

I don't think Paula should be too worried just yet because she has been known to turn around her form quickly. She ran even worse in the London 10km last year and had to miss quite a large chunk of training with a back injury but she still got herself into good shape for the Berlin Marathon. She was awful at the European Cup in 2005 but still came away with a world title and a 2:20 performance a few weeks later.

Like others have said, I don't think she'll take a medal in London because the event is moving on, as is Paula age-wise, but there's still enough time to get herself in shape to be competitive.
nevetsllim

Postby mump boy » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:47 am

i don't think paula has started or finished a race in the last 5 years without some kind of problem, i don't understand why she starts these races when not fully fit, it does her no favours in the long run John G is spot on
mump boy

Postby bushop » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:33 pm

Now the Games are so close things are getting scary for our athletes
Dean Macey guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 17 April 2012 18.01 EDT
"Now if you take our four best medal hopes – Dai, Jess Ennis, Mo, and Phillips Idowu, if I were in any of their positions I would love someone to say to me: "It is going to be tough for you, isn't it?" Because everything I am reading and hearing is making out like all four of them are going to win gold, as though it is a dead cert. They won't be thinking that way."
bushop

Postby 72 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:25 pm

So Lawrence Okoye throws 66.67 to win the Discus at Mt Sac meet. His worst recorded was a 48 metre effort and he also had a 64m plus. He has the talent possibly to go into the final in London or even get a freaky one out; or not even qualify. Consistency is tough.

Postby 72 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:56 pm

and a WL as well. :)

Postby John G » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:43 am

Most of us had written Rooney off but when a former OG finalist runs sub-45 in April, you have to consider him a potential medallist. With a normal rate of progression post -08 he should have been running close to the Euro record by now. 44.3 might just sneak a bronze.
John G

Postby 72 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:30 pm

If a week is a long time in politics , 3 months is a hell of a long time in track. Lets hope Rooney keeps fit and does not over compete.

Postby shivfan » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:19 am

bushop wrote:Charles van Commenee: Plastic Brits is offensive . . . there’s no such thing
Mihir Bose 27 March 2012
"First of all, that is not a word I would use. I find it offensive,” van Commenee says. “In my eyes, there is no such thing as a ‘plastic Brit’. They don’t exist. “You’re British or you’re not. Sport in general and the Olympics in particular is about bringing people together. That’s how I look at it, so I’m astonished more than anything else.”

London 2012 Olympics: Turks and Caicos sprint sensation Delano Williams becomes latest Team GB recruit
Simon Hart 03 Apr 2012

"Williams’ situation is identical to that of Shara Proctor, the world indoor long jump bronze medallist, who switched allegiance to Britain from Anguilla – another dependent territory that is not permitted to send its own team to the Olympics."

I find the behaviour of the Sun and the Daily Mail in particular very offensive in this regard. I'm disgusted, but not surprised, at these two newspapers....

How can they be labelling Shara Proctor and Delano Williams in particular as plastic Brits? THey come from Anguilla and Turks and Caicos, which are British colonies. As far as I'm concerned, once you are a member of a British colony, you are automatically a British citizen. Apparently, the Sun and the Daily Mail like the idea of having colonies of black people in the Caribbean, but don't like the idea of them calling themselves 'British'.

I'm sure they wouldn't have taken the same approach if Shara Proctor or Delano Williams came out of the Falklands....
:?
shivfan

Postby mump boy » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:51 am

I know she's not a medal contender but i thought it timely to remind a certain prolific poster on this thread that he was adamant the Sophie Hitchon wouldn't throw over 70m !!

Just saying :P
mump boy

Postby dunedine » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:38 pm

Personally, I reckon that Sophie is well capable of reaching 72m, maybe 73m, this season and making the final in London. Have watched throws of hers and she's much faster in the ring and a great deal improved in the release phase.

A new medal hope that seems to emerge is Martyn Rooney in the 400m, not only because he beat Warriner in a sub 45 secs so early but also of the way he won it coming from behind - you don't beat Wariner so easily there - and the way he executed his race throughout. I have never seen him so focussed and timing his effort so superbly. He's now won two out of two races which falls in sharp contrast with previous seasons.

Further, if they can pull their act together, the men's 4x100 could definitely come in with a medal shout, especially now that Chambers is going to be available and Richard Kilty looks set for a big breakthrough.

Simeon Williamson is back solid, Christian Malcolm is in his best early season shape I've seen in many years, Delano Williams could come in handy and there are also HAA, MLF, Marlon Devonish to draw on too.
dunedine

Postby John G » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:55 am

What encouraged me most about Rooney's run was that he looked really smooth. You coaches out there will know the correct jargon but to me he seemed to have lost much of the upper body sideways motion that IIRC was visible with him in the past.
John G

Postby Speedster » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:40 am

I thought the same thing, I assumed that an injury free spell had allowed him to get the running in to hold form when he's fatigued in the home straight. Its one of his top 10 times ever and for so early in the season its a great sign for him and the 4x400m relay.
Speedster

Postby dunedine » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:05 pm

I had hardly said it earlier than Sophie Hitchon set a new UK record and Olympic A standard of 71.61m at Chula Vista!
dunedine

Postby Flumpy » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:50 pm

WAHOO!!!

Can we have the Olympics every year please :mrgreen:
Flumpy

Postby nevetsllim » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:26 pm

Okoye went out to 66.25m yesterday although I think La Jolla is one of those discus-friendly events.

Rutherford 8.20m in San Diego too. :!:
nevetsllim

Postby mump boy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:04 am

Did everyone read this ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympi ... coach.html

it does make it harder to beat people when they don't even qualify for champs :?
mump boy

PreviousNext