UK's Beijing medal hopes •

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby t_monk » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:14 pm

preston wrote:
t_monk wrote:She actually chose Haiti and then reverted from Haiti to the US... She even competed at the Olympics in 2008 for Haiti... So why choose Haiti in the first place if she was going to switch back?

And I don't think she is remotely a consistent or going to be a consistent 11.0x runner. Her fastest time to date in the 100 is an 11.14... in Clermont.... in +2.0w >_< I would think that Alexandria Anderson, Jeneba Tarmoh, Lauryn Williams, Miki Barber, Muna Lee, Solomon and even Moore would be more likely to make the team than her.

I can't say why she chose, but maybe the first time was because she knew that it was the only way she could go to the Olympics. But, after having competed for Haiti and recognizing the difference in organization/benefits, etc. felt more desirous of being branded "American". Again, is this not exactly what Sandra Farmer-Patrick did? She ran for Jamaica at the '87 World Champs and then tried to compete for the USA in '88 (it just so happened that she was the best "American").

I never said that you have to be consistent that's why I purposely referenced Hill - you only have to be top 3 on one day in the USA trials system. But, based upon history, none of the women that you have named above fit the criteria, either. And, when considering Pierre, her indoor times are an indicator of 11.0x, which for the time being (because it's early), puts her ahead of her competition - and this is important, on pace. I'd say the same for Madison. One more thing, of the women you mentioned only WIlliams has run under 10 more than twice, or in more than one season. Though I wouldn't be surprised to see a return to form by Williams It wouldn't shock me if none of these women ran sub-10, which would be sad because Alex Anderson sure looks like (on paper) she could be an absolute STAR!! (Solomons singular time under 11 also took place at the Clermont track; Tarmoh needs a lot of work and Barber is a "more veteran" version of Pierre and Madison)

Makes sense! I would guess it had something to do with the earthquake maybe and the support from the state maybe. All in all though I don't think it was a very good idea for her because I honestly doubt she will make the US team in any capacity. If we looking at a relay situation I find it hard to think they will deviate far from their 2011 team. So the only change that can potentially be made there IMHO is Knight on the first leg. In the 100 I would say Jeter, Myers, Lee/Anderson/Williams/Tarmoh. In the 200m Felix with Jeter, Solomon, Knight, Lee or one of the collegiates
t_monk

Postby Flumpy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:40 pm

Typically classy response from a Daily Mail reader.

"How about this has been just shutting up! Who wants his opinion on anything? probably been told what to say by his boyfriend anyway.
- SirMikeTheRight, in a once Christian England, 16/3/2012 13:57
"
Flumpy

Postby Speedster » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:29 pm

t_monk wrote:Makes sense! I would guess it had something to do with the earthquake maybe and the support from the state maybe. All in all though I don't think it was a very good idea for her because I honestly doubt she will make the US team in any capacity. If we looking at a relay situation I find it hard to think they will deviate far from their 2011 team. So the only change that can potentially be made there IMHO is Knight on the first leg. In the 100 I would say Jeter, Myers, Lee/Anderson/Williams/Tarmoh. In the 200m Felix with Jeter, Solomon, Knight, Lee or one of the collegiates

I hope that LSU allow Kimberlyn Duncan the chance to run at the Trial this year again. I really think she's a future star and could make the 200m team. She has 11.09/22.24 PBs at 21 and she's got nice relaxed technique, reminds me of a young Merlene Ottey.
Speedster

Postby Daisy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:59 pm

Flumpy wrote:Typically classy response from a Daily Mail reader.

I don't even understand the comment.
Daisy

Postby NotSoOrdinary » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:44 am

As far as sprints go I'd say maybe the women's 4x400m. Their running order is going to be essential and they've got to get it right in order to medal. The U.S is undoubtedly taking gold though.

I can't really see it for any other sprinting event on either side, tbh.
NotSoOrdinary

Postby t_monk » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:04 am

NotSoOrdinary wrote:As far as sprints go I'd say maybe the women's 4x400m. Their running order is going to be essential and they've got to get it right in order to medal. The U.S is undoubtedly taking gold though.

The US, Jamaica and Russia are a lock to me in the 4x400m W. They can stake an attempt at the 4x400m M and the 4x100m M/W (because chances are someone will drop the baton).

100 - No
200 - No
400 - Possible in the female
800 - No
LJ - No
TJ - Idowu
100mH - Porter
110mH - No
t_monk

Postby NotSoOrdinary » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:46 am

t_monk wrote:
NotSoOrdinary wrote:As far as sprints go I'd say maybe the women's 4x400m. Their running order is going to be essential and they've got to get it right in order to medal. The U.S is undoubtedly taking gold though.

The US, Jamaica and Russia are a lock to me in the 4x400m W. They can stake an attempt at the 4x400m M and the 4x100m M/W (because chances are someone will drop the baton).

100 - No
200 - No
800 - No
LJ - No
TJ - Idowu
100mH - Porter
110mH - No

If I may ask t_monk, exactly who do you think will be coming out on top this year iin the W4X4? Going for Russia for the 3rd time? :D
NotSoOrdinary

Postby t_monk » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:02 am

NotSoOrdinary wrote:
t_monk wrote:

100 - No
200 - No
800 - No
LJ - No
TJ - Idowu
100mH - Porter
110mH - No

If I may ask t_monk, exactly who do you think will be coming out on top this year iin the W4X4? Going for Russia for the 3rd time? :D

lol....

Quite frankly.... as much as it pains me to admit... I have to go with the US.

SRR, Felix, McCorory, Hastings, Beard, Dunn... I'm sorry... Unless something serious happens I see no reason why they shouldn't win.
t_monk

Postby mump boy » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:49 pm

It has been proved time and time again that even with an inferior (on paper) team the US will win the 4x4w, they are quite simply better relay runners.

RUS and JAM have also time after time under performed in the 4x4, i think UK are very much in the mix on home ground and especially now that TBO seems to have grasped the importance of the relay. She was crying after the race and CVC has made a point of praising her as one of the performances of the meet in Istanbul. UK have the possibility of 3 runners who can run sub 50 in the team and none of them being the reigning olympic champion :)

Of course we say the same thing every year but there has definitely been a change in attitude this year and we have amazing last leg runners so i am cautiously optimistic :?
mump boy

Postby NotSoOrdinary » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:31 pm

mump boy wrote:It has been proved time and time again that even with an inferior (on paper) team the US will win the 4x4w, they are quite simply better relay runners.

RUS and JAM have also time after time under performed in the 4x4, i think UK are very much in the mix on home ground and especially now that TBO seems to have grasped the importance of the relay. She was crying after the race and CVC has made a point of praising her as one of the performances of the meet in Istanbul. UK have the possibility of 3 runners who can run sub 50 in the team and none of them being the reigning olympic champion

Of course we say the same thing every year but there has definitely been a change in attitude this year and we have amazing last leg runners so i am cautiously optimistic :?

Ahh, t_monk has finally spilled the true tea. :shock: *Clap Clap* :D
NotSoOrdinary

Postby Gabriella » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:08 am

The GBR women's team definitely have a shot at a medal, but at this stage one assumes the USA will win. Russia haven't beaten the USA at a Worlds or Olympics since 1999 (other than 2003 when the US were DQ'ed in the heats) and now they have Felix in the team, she's made a huge difference in the USA's fortunes. Russia may have been close in 2008 but they just don't seem to have the same grit and too many of their runners go off either too tentatively or completely the oppositie; blast out and die.

If...and it's a big if...we had CO and Nicola Sanders at their best, then with the ever improving Shakes-Drayton and now Shanna Cox, we have the possibility of 4 really good legs, rather than 1 or 2 good legs and the rest mediocre. But we will have to be at our best to challenge Jamaica and Russia (like in 2007) and to even think about challenging the USA we'd need one of their women to mess up. I still think our running order is unsure; it worked in Istanbul but should that be our order in London? At her very best, Nicola Sanders is as good as anyone on that last leg, but would we prefer her on leg 2? I'm still unsure of which is the best order.

On CO's effort, the telling thing was her Channel 4 interview, where she said she wanted to get/keep us in third, but then thought she'd have a go at taking the Russian for 2nd, then decided she should try and go for the US runner too...this just underlines her lack of effort previously, her settling for lesser things and her habit of non committing in the early part of races. If she took her Istanbul attitude to every race I'm sure we'd see a sub 50 CO again and some good relay legs. Hopefully we'll now see the real CO.
Gabriella

Postby jjimbojames » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:33 am

If I'm honest, I expected a bit more from Shana in the 4x400m - I know she was tired, but thought she should have been a bit closer to the front. Unless she improves a great deal, Lee McConnell still has a chance to be on that final team, if she can at least replicate her 51.01 from last year.

My hope is that Shana gets a chance to run one of the middle/anchor legs at some point (e.g. Europa Cup etc) to see what she's like - she could well be a relay beast (some college observers on here might know...?!?), that's best served in battle, rather than lanes.
jjimbojames

Postby mump boy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:30 pm

jjimbojames wrote:If I'm honest, I expected a bit more from Shana in the 4x400m - I know she was tired, but thought she should have been a bit closer to the front. Unless she improves a great deal, Lee McConnell still has a chance to be on that final team, if she can at least replicate her 51.01 from last year.

My hope is that Shana gets a chance to run one of the middle/anchor legs at some point (e.g. Europa Cup etc) to see what she's like - she could well be a relay beast (some college observers on here might know...?!?), that's best served in battle, rather than lanes.

People should NEVER underestimate Lee she is our most reliable relay runner and always runs to her best but it will depend on what form she's in as to whether she gets to run in the final. , Shana has a relay best of 50.45 from 08 which is half a second slower than Lee at her best.
mump boy

Postby dunedine » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:20 pm

A good thing is that Britain look to have gained a solid 'bench' behind the first-choice quartet and can afford to rest one or two of the regulars in the heats in London without risking too much. I think Nadine Okyere could dip well inside 52 secs to make a good 'sub' and Marilyn Okoro can be available too.

Nicola Sanders didn't do any serious speedwork and came into the indoor season simply to break her winter training and get a measure of her preparations so there should be a lot more to come in this quarter. She's already off to LA for warm-weather training by the way along with a few other Brits.

My own best formation and order would be Ohuruogu-Cox-Shakes Drayton-Sanders if all four are fit and firing on all cylinders. USA are definitely the favourites but I reckon Britain can come in with a shout.
dunedine

Postby dunedine » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:22 am

Katarina Johnson-Thompson scored a superb UK U20 record of 4526pts in the pentathlon which was narrowly short of Karolina Kluft's indoor WJR of 4535 and emerges as a genuine contender for a place on the Olympic team. Her 1.88m in the high jump was the highlight, I think, in a card that contained four PBs out of five disciplines - not bad!

A little mention for very young, having not turned 15 yet, Morgan Lake who set 3953pts in the same competition in Cardiff.

Britain look set to be represented for the first time after years in the men's 50km race walking, an event where they have won three Olympic golds between 1932-1960, as Dominic King set a B standard of 4h06:34 in Dudince on Saturday. Funnily, it's not even a family best as his brother walked 4h04:49 four years ago!
dunedine

Postby mump boy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:48 am

dunedine wrote:Katarina Johnson-Thompson scored a superb UK U20 record of 4526pts in the pentathlon which was narrowly short of Karolina Kluft's indoor WJR of 4535 and emerges as a genuine contender for a place on the Olympic team. Her 1.88m in the high jump was the highlight, I think, in a card that contained four PBs out of five disciplines - not bad!

A little mention for very young, having not turned 15 yet, Morgan Lake who set 3953pts in the same competition in Cardiff.

Britain look set to be represented for the first time after years in the men's 50km race walking, an event where they have won three Olympic golds between 1932-1960, as Dominic King set a B standard of 4h06:34 in Dudince on Saturday. Funnily, it's not even a family best as his brother walked 4h04:49 four years ago!

Her HJ is amazing, Hurdles and Long Jump, 200m good, JT ok 800 poor and SP very weak.

Her current PB's total 6150 (which is in line with the scores of athletes with similar pentathlon pb's) and while we can't expect all pb's in an actual Hep these indoor scores show she is improving in all events so we can expect more in the summer. For example 8.48 is worth 30 points more than her 13.90 outdoor best and she has run 2 secs faster indoors over 800m than she did last year outdoors. So there is no reason why we can't expect 6150 at least :D
mump boy

Postby Jon » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:51 am

Great to see KJT make another big step forward (lots of her earlier progress was covered here). Had she equalled her long jump PB, she'd have smashed Kluft's record with 4576, but I guess PBs in the other four events is not too shabby!

Her SP is improving and not so bad when compared to the likes of Ennis at the same age. In fact, she's quite a lot better than Ennis was. Here's their comparative PBs at the same age (i.e. at end of indoor season during final year as a junior):
Code: Select all
Event....Ennis......KJT
800......2:17.34....2:17.24i
60H......8.43.......8.48
100H.....13.57......13.90
HJ.......1.83.......1.88
LJ.......5.64i......6.44
SP.......11.43i.....11.68i
JT.......28.04......37.88
Pen......4089.......4526
Hep......5542.......5787

The only edge Ennis had at the same age was in the 100H, but that's no surprise because Ennis is one of the best ever heptathletes over the hurdles. Given KJT is running 8.48 as a junior, I reckon she could be a 13.1/13.2 type hurdler when she reaches her peak as a senior. In the 200m, 800m and SP, Ennis and KJT are pretty much equal. They're all solid events for Ennis now, so if KJT progresses in the same way then she'll be fine in those events. And in all other events KJT is quite a lot better, so I'm not too worried about any of her weaknesses, because there's plenty of scope and she is still improving.

When KJT won the World Youths, I thought a lot of her success was down to being an early developer (especially as she's so tall) and that her progress after that may be very gradual, but her big improvement last weekend shows that there's still a lot of untapped potential. If she can benefit from the same smart coaching that Ennis has had, KJT will hopefully continue to build in strength, speed and technique across all events.

I also think her experience at last year's European Juniors (one of the best ever junior heptathlon competitions with a few of them going 6000+, and KJT finishing sixth) has given her a lot of motivation for this year. I reckon she's on course to score somewhere between 6100-6200 outdoors - anywhere closer to the latter figure could see her make the Olympic team, and she's said that that's one of her goals for this summer.
Jon

Postby mump boy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:58 am

Jon wrote:Great to see KJT make another big step forward (lots of her earlier progress was covered here). Had she equalled her long jump PB, she'd have smashed Kluft's record with 4576, but I guess PBs in the other four events is not too shabby!

Her SP is improving and not so bad when compared to the likes of Ennis at the same age. In fact, she's quite a lot better than Ennis was. Here's their comparative PBs at the same age (i.e. at end of indoor season during final year as a junior):
Code: Select all
Event....Ennis......KJT
800......2:17.34....2:17.24i
60H......8.43.......8.48
100H.....13.57......13.90
HJ.......1.83.......1.88
LJ.......5.64i......6.44
SP.......11.43i.....11.68i
JT.......28.04......37.88
Pen......4089.......4526
Hep......5542.......5787

The only edge Ennis had at the same age was in the 100H, but that's no surprise because Ennis is one of the best ever heptathletes over the hurdles. Given KJT is running 8.48 as a junior, I reckon she could be a 13.1/13.2 type hurdler when she reaches her peak as a senior. In the 200m, 800m and SP, Ennis and KJT are pretty much equal. They're all solid events for Ennis now, so if KJT progresses in the same way then she'll be fine in those events. And in all other events KJT is quite a lot better, so I'm not too worried about any of her weaknesses, because there's plenty of scope and she is still improving.

When KJT won the World Youths, I thought a lot of her success was down to being an early developer (especially as she's so tall) and that her progress after that may be very gradual, but her big improvement last weekend shows that there's still a lot of untapped potential. If she can benefit from the same smart coaching that Ennis has had, KJT will hopefully continue to build in strength, speed and technique across all events.

I also think her experience at last year's European Juniors (one of the best ever junior heptathlon competitions with a few of them going 6000+, and KJT finishing sixth) has given her a lot of motivation for this year. I reckon she's on course to score somewhere between 6100-6200 outdoors - anywhere closer to the latter figure could see her make the Olympic team, and she's said that that's one of her goals for this summer.

those are very interesting comparisons and puts KJT amazing achievements in perspective :D
mump boy

Postby dunedine » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:34 pm

In my view, Katarina will score over 6200pts this summer all things equal and opens up at 25 Multistars at Desenzano in about six weeks from now, where Kelly Sotherton is also down to compete as well. That is essentially a first and intriguing head-to-head between the trio that will be vying for the two places left alongside Jessica Ennis in London, the third being Louise Hazell.
dunedine

Postby mump boy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:54 pm

dunedine wrote:In my view, Katarina will score over 6200pts this summer all things equal and opens up at 25 Multistars at Desenzano in about six weeks from now, where Kelly Sotherton is also down to compete as well. That is essentially a first and intriguing head-to-head between the trio that will be vying for the two places left alongside Jessica Ennis in London, the third being Louise Hazell.

Oh shit, i'd forgotten all about Kelly !!

Even doing a conservative estimate on Kelly's score it looks like it might be Louise who is fighting for her place against KJT and to be honest i'd rather louise made it :-(
mump boy

Postby Gabriella » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:39 am

Some great marks from KJT. Her jumps are outstanding and among the better marks the elite senior women are achieving. As we have come to expect with British multi eventers of late, her throws are a little down on what some of her competitors can do, so here’s hoping she continues to improve.

It’s funny because if you look down the heptathlon medalists at world junior level since 98, only half of the actual champions have been successful ( Kluft and Chernova) while the majority of all medalists haven’t. Often the successful juniors to progress as seniors have finished further down the junior rankings and didn’t get junior medals. Ennis is a good example of this as she finished 8th at the World Juniors in 2004. Of the names above her then, some have been successful (Nana Djimou, Machtig) but obviously not to Jess’s level.

Laura Ikauniece, who was second behind KJT at the World Youths in 2009 went on to finish 6th at the World juniors in 2010 but has improved her PB to 6063. It would have been great if KJT hadn’t been injured in 2010 and we could have seen her against Schippers and Gambetta. As we know Schippers concentrated on sprinting in 2011 but has declared the heptathlon as her priority event still, while Gambetta went on to PB in 2011 with 6108. They each have their own strengths, Schippers is the sprinter, Gambetta is the thrower and KJT the jumper! Perhaps it will be Schippers, Gambetta and KJT that will dominate the event in the future?

I cannot wait to see how Sotherton does in Italy. She looked very powerful in the Istanbul commentary box and has obviously put on the upper body muscle she lost when doing the 400. She said she has focussed more on technique now she is older, so we’ll see soon how that’s gone. She also said she thought she was ‘up there’ with the women in Istanbul. I would think not and suggest that’s typical Kelly mouthing off. She’d need to be at her very best to even finish top 6, and I think she will struggle to break 6300*. Will it even be Kelly to be the one to miss out on selection? KJT will probably out-jump her, so Kelly will need to rely on her running and SP to compensate. But Sotherton has the experience and I think she really wants this, so as long as she gets the qualifying mark she should be in.

* 13.50, 1.80, 13.80, 23.80, 6.30, 33.oo, 2:10 adds up to 6251
Gabriella

Postby bushop » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:18 pm

Charles van Commenee: Plastic Brits is offensive . . . there’s no such thing
Mihir Bose 27 March 2012
"First of all, that is not a word I would use. I find it offensive,” van Commenee says. “In my eyes, there is no such thing as a ‘plastic Brit’. They don’t exist. “You’re British or you’re not. Sport in general and the Olympics in particular is about bringing people together. That’s how I look at it, so I’m astonished more than anything else.”

London 2012 Olympics: Turks and Caicos sprint sensation Delano Williams becomes latest Team GB recruit
Simon Hart 03 Apr 2012
"Williams’ situation is identical to that of Shara Proctor, the world indoor long jump bronze medallist, who switched allegiance to Britain from Anguilla – another dependent territory that is not permitted to send its own team to the Olympics."
Last edited by bushop on Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bushop

Postby Daisy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:22 pm

bushop wrote:so I’m astonished more than anything else.”

Astonished by how mud raking the tabloids are? I'd say its par for the course, unfortunately.
Daisy

Postby mump boy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:13 pm

Gabriella wrote:Some great marks from KJT. Her jumps are outstanding and among the better marks the elite senior women are achieving. As we have come to expect with British multi eventers of late, her throws are a little down on what some of her competitors can do, so here’s hoping she continues to improve.

It’s funny because if you look down the heptathlon medalists at world junior level since 98, only half of the actual champions have been successful ( Kluft and Chernova) while the majority of all medalists haven’t. Often the successful juniors to progress as seniors have finished further down the junior rankings and didn’t get junior medals. Ennis is a good example of this as she finished 8th at the World Juniors in 2004. Of the names above her then, some have been successful (Nana Djimou, Machtig) but obviously not to Jess’s level.

Laura Ikauniece, who was second behind KJT at the World Youths in 2009 went on to finish 6th at the World juniors in 2010 but has improved her PB to 6063. It would have been great if KJT hadn’t been injured in 2010 and we could have seen her against Schippers and Gambetta. As we know Schippers concentrated on sprinting in 2011 but has declared the heptathlon as her priority event still, while Gambetta went on to PB in 2011 with 6108. They each have their own strengths, Schippers is the sprinter, Gambetta is the thrower and KJT the jumper! Perhaps it will be Schippers, Gambetta and KJT that will dominate the event in the future?

I cannot wait to see how Sotherton does in Italy. She looked very powerful in the Istanbul commentary box and has obviously put on the upper body muscle she lost when doing the 400. She said she has focussed more on technique now she is older, so we’ll see soon how that’s gone. She also said she thought she was ‘up there’ with the women in Istanbul. I would think not and suggest that’s typical Kelly mouthing off. She’d need to be at her very best to even finish top 6, and I think she will struggle to break 6300*. Will it even be Kelly to be the one to miss out on selection? KJT will probably out-jump her, so Kelly will need to rely on her running and SP to compensate. But Sotherton has the experience and I think she really wants this, so as long as she gets the qualifying mark she should be in.

* 13.50, 1.80, 13.80, 23.80, 6.30, 33.oo, 2:10 adds up to 6251

Me and Flump had a long talk with Kelly in Istanbul she seemed very confident and i think she'll be ok, i'ma bit worried that it will be louise who loses out :(
mump boy

Postby 72 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:14 am

and does Sotherton expect to throw more than 30 metres in the javelin.?

Postby Gabriella » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:54 am

Well 72, whether she expects to or not, she needs to!

She really is a :?: at the moment as we've not seen her complete a heptathlon since 2008. Italy will be telling so let's see. Perhaps the 4 year break from multi's training has given her body the rest it needed and she'll be back near her best? But she's now 35 so it's very doubtful she will be. In her last few seasons as a heptathlete she under performed in her jumps, and I think she will do the same again. She has to be aiming for 1.80 in the HJ and 6.30 in the LJ if she wants to finish top 6. I think achieving both of these will be difficult. However, there's no reason why she shouldn't be throwing way over 14m in the SP. As long as the weight she appears to have put back on is quality muscle, she should still be able to throw far in the shot at her age. This is definitely one event where she shouldn't lose too much. Running wise, 13.3 would be ideal but with a PB of just insoide 13.2 I would imagine she'll be looking at 13.4. In the 200m those years over 400m will hopefully mean she hasnt lost too much, but she'll need between 23.5 and 23.9; she has to run sub 24. Over 800m I think she cna still run a 2:10 or under.
Gabriella

Postby mump boy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:58 am

72 wrote:and does Sotherton expect to throw more than 30 metres in the javelin.?

Yes she does :D

She says that now the pressure is off and people don't ask her about it 24/7 things are going much better
mump boy

Postby pakillo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:02 pm

How things are going with British team and European Champs this year? British trials are very close to Europeans. Jessica Ennis won't be in Helsinki, that's all I know.
pakillo

Postby mump boy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:33 am

nobody who is selected for London is supposed to be on the Helsinki team but i don't think it would do any harm for some athletes and i would especially like to see the relay teams compete at the euros.
mump boy

Postby dunedine » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:26 am

To me, the whole matter is whether Kelly Sotherton negotiates her javelin properly to throw decently well, she can definitely throw over 40m otherwise - and has done so in the long past. I think she is going to do fine in the running events, relatively well in the jumps but where the two question-marks lie will be with her throws since she was away from those quarters for quite a while, so could suffer in the technical aspect as well.

I reckon that all three, Sotherton, KJT and Hazell, are going to score over 6200pts and it's going to be tight to decide who are going to be the two to join Jessica Ennis in London.
dunedine

Postby 72 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:36 am

[quote

She really is a :?: at the moment as we've not seen her complete a heptathlon since 2008. Italy will be telling so let's see. Perhaps the 4 year break from multi's training has given her body the rest it needed and she'll be back near her best? But she's now 35 so it's very doubtful she will be. In her last few seasons as a heptathlete she under performed in her jumps, and I think she will do the same again. She has to be aiming for 1.80 in the HJ and 6.30 in the LJ if she wants to finish top 6. I think achieving both of these will be difficult. However, there's no reason why she shouldn't be throwing way over 14m in the SP. As long as the weight she appears to have put back on is quality muscle, she should still be able to throw far in the shot at her age. This is definitely one event where she shouldn't lose too much. Running wise, 13.3 would be ideal but with a PB of just insoide 13.2 I would imagine she'll be looking at 13.4. In the 200m those years over 400m will hopefully mean she hasnt lost too much, but she'll need between 23.5 and 23.9; she has to run sub 24. Over 800m I think she cna still run a 2:10 or under.[/quote]

well I will be very surprised if KS achieves more than 6200; I would go for Louise if she is fit and qualifies. Isn't KJT going to concentrate on Barcelona this year?

Postby pakillo » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:17 am

mump boy wrote:nobody who is selected for London is supposed to be on the Helsinki team but i don't think it would do any harm for some athletes and i would especially like to see the relay teams compete at the euros.

I hope it won't be that bad, but I can expect Dwain Chambers in Helsinki.
pakillo

Postby mump boy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:54 am

pakillo wrote:
mump boy wrote:nobody who is selected for London is supposed to be on the Helsinki team but i don't think it would do any harm for some athletes and i would especially like to see the relay teams compete at the euros.

I hope it won't be that bad, but I can expect Dwain Chambers in Helsinki.

Fingers crossed
mump boy

Postby gh » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:05 am

I've been told that field eventers, and maybe relay runners, will be in Helsinki. Did I hear correctly?
gh

Postby dunedine » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:12 am

As far as I know, KJT's main target is London and, secondly, the World U20 Champs.
dunedine

Postby nevetsllim » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:37 pm

pakillo wrote:How things are going with British team and European Champs this year? British trials are very close to Europeans. Jessica Ennis won't be in Helsinki, that's all I know.

That's right - although Chernova is apparently doing the Europeans.
nevetsllim

Postby pakillo » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:49 am

nevetsllim wrote:
pakillo wrote:How things are going with British team and European Champs this year? British trials are very close to Europeans. Jessica Ennis won't be in Helsinki, that's all I know.

That's right - although Chernova is apparently doing the Europeans.

Dobrynska looks forward to Europeans . Some teams will have Europeans as crucial for earning the place for London. E.g.Spanish Champs is, this year, after the Euros and after the London Games and performance at the Europeans could be decisive.
pakillo

Postby bushop » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:53 pm

Radcliffe eyes bronze
April 10, 2012 10:56am
"I'm the first to admit this isn't my best chance, but I still have a chance, and when you have a chance - whatever your goal - you just have to give it 100% and see what happens."
bushop

Postby IanS_Liv » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:02 pm

gh wrote:I've been told that field eventers, and maybe relay runners, will be in Helsinki. Did I hear correctly?

Yep. That's pretty much what we've been led to believe. Plus any others who're qualified but not likely to be selected for London. The Euros is a trial run for field eventers and relay teams. It is definitely NOT a high priority.
IanS_Liv

Postby mump boy » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:58 pm

mump boy

PreviousNext