UK's Beijing medal hopes •

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby bushop » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:06 pm

Plastic Brits are cashing in... but there's no Lottery money for the likes of Kelly
17th October 2011
Five athletes dubbed ‘plastic Brits’ by their critics will have their Olympic campaigns funded by the National Lottery while British-born contenders have been dropped 10 months from the Games...
Sentiment does not come into it for van Commenee. He coached Sotherton to her 2004 Olympic heptathlon bronze but told Radio 5 Live: ‘Personal feelings are not relevant. The main criterion needed is that they have a strong chance to make the top eight in the Olympic Games, and given the development of Kelly’s performances in the last couple of years it doesn’t appear she can.’
Last edited by bushop on Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bushop

Postby dunedine » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:37 pm

There have been many controversial cases going either way in the making of the final funding lists for the Olympic season but Kelly Sotherton had unfortunately a very thin case to lay any claim on. I think it would have been a surprise if she had stayed on for one more season since she didn't make the world champs squad nor obtained any qualifying standard on the way.

The most striking cases of those overlooked were maybe the likes of Jemma Simpson, Martyn Bernard, Louise Hazell, Helen Clitheroe, Charlene Thomas and Barbara Parker while I cannot grasp this latest 'wrath' on the high jumpers, or even the male milers in the second place.

Further, several athletes named in the top tier would have better fitted into the relay group (Pickering, Strachan, Levine) so that there would have been more open places for athletes with more medal or top eight potential about them - the above mentioned plus Lawrence Okoye (only Development tier) or Jo Pavey.

Tiffany Porter has got an English mother, Shana Cox has British parents, Yamile Aldama is married to a Scot for ten years now and Shara Proctor comes from a country that is a British dependent territory, so all qualify well and have got far more grounds to merit a share in funding.
dunedine

Postby peach77 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:23 am

Why do people even vaguely "listen" to stories in the Daily Mail (or the Daily Fail as I prefer to call it)? That article is not even borderline racist. It's out and out xenophobia! There is no way Sotherton deserves funding this year (and she more or less agrees with that if you read her Tweets...) and the likes of Porter etc are proving to be absolutely world class and potential medallists/champions for 2012 and beyond. It's a "Look at our poor Brits who have served this country well"...pathetic!
peach77

Postby mump boy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:16 am

There are lots of things to complain about in this funding round but the fact that Kelly Sotherton isn't funded certainly isn't one of them :? :?
mump boy

Postby 72 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:57 pm

Remember that great "British" runner Malachi Davis, another funded athlete from the States who was "British" cos his mother was. Born in the USA and never came here until the Trials for the 2004 Olympics, so I read ;got his passport as a British athlete a few weeks before the event and announced by UKA as another of our "British" surprise competitors; I wonder where he is and how often he comes here. :lol:
So many naive twerps in the UK who cannot see naked financial and competitive oportunism by both the athletes in question and our beloved "medal mad" UKA; quite legal of course, but absolutely no moral different from the Quataris and Bahrainis of this world buying 'em in with their oil money. They have Brit citizenship...wowee!!!!!
The athletes referred to are so pleased to represent UK ... I wonder which of our so called Brits would be getting the financial, medical,travelling support in the their own countries assuming that they actually know which they are/were.will be.

Perhaps we could entertain the idea of athletes entering great competitions only as individuals with no nationality connections. :lol:

BTW,The Daily Mail is more relevant to peoples real views and concerns, despite its nationalistic viewpoint, than the so called "progressive" BBC / Grauniad/Mirror rubbish;

Postby PCSExponent » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:11 am

72 wrote:Perhaps we could entertain the idea of athletes entering great competitions only as individuals with no nationality connections. :lol:

I realize why it can never happen, but in my utopian world, this would be no. 3 on the list after world peace and financial security for all. I don't know why people think it is funny :?
PCSExponent

Postby shivfan » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:12 am

Of course, it adds fuel to the Daily Mail diatribes when athletes such as Ofili tweet on July 4 that she wishes she was back in the US on that day, but adds that she's there in spirit....
:roll:
shivfan

Postby jjimbojames » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:59 am

shivfan wrote:Of course, it adds fuel to the Daily Mail diatribes when athletes such as Ofili tweet on July 4 that she wishes she was back in the US on that day, but adds that she's there in spirit....
:roll:

Why? It's a day of celebration that anyone living in that country buys into because of the sheer scale of it - and just because there isn't really a day to celebrate being British in the UK isn't a reason for Tiff O-P to not celebrate the day members of her family and friends will be celebrating. A few friends of mine studied in the USA on soccer scholarships having been born and bred in the UK until they were 18. Even now, they wish they were in the US with their university friends on that date, despite only living there for four years of their 30+, as their US friends are enjoying the day - it doesn't make them any less British

If the Daily Mail can't see that, they (and their readers) need to expand their horizons somewhat :roll:
jjimbojames

Postby dunedine » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:59 am

I totally agree on the concept and background of 4 July celebrations, I would like to experience it myself once, and your comments on Daily Mail and their pathetic 'campaign' against certain athletes that have switched allegiance to Britain, JimBo.

After all, Tiffany has lived her whole life in the States so has got every right to feel that way and express her feelings on the day.

But Daily Mail and their like will overlook her comments when she steps up to compete for Britain as it suits them the other way round.
dunedine

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:02 am

What about those plastic Swedes, those hurdlers; they are no more Swedish than Ofili is British...
26mi235

Postby dunedine » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:19 am

By the way, the competition for heptathlon places for London hots up as Kelly Sotherton has made a shock return to the multi-events after spending a year in the 400m!

http://www.espn.co.uk/london-olympics-2012/sport/story/117727.html?CMP=OTC-RSS
dunedine

Postby bushop » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:49 pm

Proud moment for Paula as marathon girl to become first athlete selected for Team GB
16th November 2011
Chief coach Charles van Commenee confirmed that world record-holder Paula Radcliffe is certain to be chosen when the selection of marathon runners is made early next month.

Michael Johnson warns of home 'disadvantage' at London 2012 Olympics
Thursday, 17 November 2011
"People assume there is an advantage with the home Olympics, but there isn't," Johnson told BBC Sport. Being too familiar with where you are may relax you a little bit too much."
bushop

Postby IanS_Liv » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:56 pm

Hmmmm. Michael Johnson's usually right. But the British media spotlight has just turned on to Britain's athletes in all sports, who are featuring heavily in sponsor's ad campaigns right now. It's going to take some serious PR management on behalf of the BOA and the various sports' governing bodies to give athletes the chance to relax.
IanS_Liv

Postby bushop » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:49 am

Cram - One gold needed
November 18, 2011
"So I think it is going to be a really good Games for athletics and I hope at least one of the guys can convert it into a gold medal. We do want to win at least one gold medal but with a bit of luck and a fair wind it could be two or three, if not more."
What Brits have shot at gold?
Jess Ennis
Mo Farah
Dai Greene
bushop

Postby dunedine » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:08 am

To my mind, Britain look to have five to six good gold medal shots at the moment provided they're all fit and healthy:

Mo Farah (5000 & 10000m), Phillips Idowu (TJ), Jess Ennis (Hept), Dai Greene (400mh) and, why not, Paula Radcliffe (marathon).

From there on, I think that the duo of Hannah England and Lisa Dobriskey have very much as good a shout as anyone in the women's 1500m as things look at the moment.

My potential surprise packages of next season? Jack Green (400mh), Yamile Aldama (TJ), Greg Rutherford (LJ) and maybe Holly Bleasdale (PV).
dunedine

Postby mump boy » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:27 pm

dunedine wrote:To my mind, Britain look to have five to six good gold medal shots at the moment provided they're all fit and healthy:

Mo Farah (5000 & 10000m), Phillips Idowu (TJ), Jess Ennis (Hept), Dai Greene (400mh) and, why not, Paula Radcliffe (marathon).

From there on, I think that the duo of Hannah England and Lisa Dobriskey have very much as good a shout as anyone in the women's 1500m as things look at the moment.

My potential surprise packages of next season? Jack Green (400mh), Yamile Aldama (TJ), Greg Rutherford (LJ) and maybe Holly Bleasdale (PV).

I also think there are 3 relays with a possibility of a medal, Tiffany Ofili, a hungry and very local PSD and i would never count out TBO (in a stagnant event)
mump boy

Postby 72 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:08 am

real rational, objective stuff from the British experts :lol: I suppose that there are a few great athletes from elsewhere who may get in the way of the 5/6 Gold Medals mentioned??

Surprise package .. what pray does that mean.... that they medal or make final or what?

The special trick of the AW flaggies is to state that all Brits may do better than we have a right to expect from a cool examination of their current levels of performance, on the basis that they can crow/brag if one comes through. Known as the art of "Isabring".

I could just as well state that every athlete in the British team next year will do a PB and amaze us all on the basis that one at least will do so and then I can ignore all the underperformances and brag about how knowledgeable I am, like at least one well known fan

Postby dunedine » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:07 am

Gold medal chances cited is something substantially different to gold medals predicted in London next summer, which is striking out a mile above.

Second, by 'surprise package' I meant people that I think could even strike gold next year. Again, that doesn't mean any number of golds predicted.

Personally I think that Britain will win three, and maybe even four golds there and around 10 medals overall.

Finally, as concerns the one-PB-to-boast-thing, that doesn't bear on reality even by a light year and you know that yourself very well.
Last edited by dunedine on Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
dunedine

Postby dunedine » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:08 am

By the way, Mara Yamauchi came the fifth Briton to gain the Olympic A qualifier in the marathon as she placed third in 2h27:24 in Yokohama, going through the halfway mark in 73:03.

Louise Damen dropped out very early just after the 10km so apparently wasn't feeling well.
dunedine

Postby Powell » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:07 am

26mi235 wrote:What about those plastic Swedes, those hurdlers; they are no more Swedish than Ofili is British...

I hope you're speaking of Ludmila Enqvist, coz if you mean the Kallurs, then what you wrote makes no sense at all.
Powell

Postby IanS_Liv » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:02 am

What's the latest on the Kallurs anyway? Haven't heard anything about them for ages.
IanS_Liv

Postby Speedster » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:14 am

IanS_Liv wrote:What's the latest on the Kallurs anyway? Haven't heard anything about them for ages.

Jenny - retired, injuries.

Susanna - on the come back trail again.

The thoughts of a healthy Lolo, Susanna and Sally in one race would be incredible.
Speedster

Postby bushop » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:35 am

Greene questions desire of some GB athletes
November 23, 2011
"The 25-year-old [Dai Greene] believes some athletes have underachieved in their disciplines, either because they just don't set their sights high enough or because they crumble in the face of pressure and expectation."
bushop

Postby John G » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:33 am

bushop wrote:Greene questions desire of some GB athletes
November 23, 2011
"The 25-year-old [Dai Greene] believes some athletes have underachieved in their disciplines, either because they just don't set their sights high enough or because they crumble in the face of pressure and expectation."

Interesting thoughts from him also on the affect of getting too much funding too soon and the unfairness of relay squad members receiving full funding.

It may be coincidence but the three athletes who have surprised me most since the last Olympics have been Jenny Meadows, Helen Clitheroe and Andy Turner. All, at various points, came off funding and yet seemed to become hungrier than ever.
John G

Postby bushop » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:58 pm

Cram Says Funding System Will Bring Brits Glory
24 November 2011
"The talented athletes have always been there. The funding helps to keep them in the sport, to get them into the right events, to identify the talent. We have the best high-performance system in the world, on a pro-rata basis."
bushop

Postby dunedine » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:21 am

Talking of London contenders, first selections on the team are due next Monday with the marathon panel meeting for the first of two times. Paula Radcliffe appears set to be named, as I gather Scott Overall should on the men's side.

Andrew Lemoncello runs in Yokohama and he could snatch a spot himself just on the eve of the meeting, putting in an encouraging late run in Portsmouth

From there on, there is a number of options for CVC to take. Here are some throughts of what could happen on the women's side which is more competitive for places at the moment.

http://athleticsstargate.wordpress.com/2011/11/25/marathon-dilemmas-facing-van-commennee/
dunedine

Postby nevetsllim » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:48 pm

Paula Radcliffe set a course record of 32:05 in a 10km race in Monaco. It was a last-minute decision to compete as she just got back from a training stint in Kenya.

http://www.iaaf.org/news/newsid=63147.html

It would make my year (well, decade actually :P ) if Paula took a medal next year.
nevetsllim

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:14 pm

Powell wrote:
26mi235 wrote:What about those plastic Swedes, those hurdlers; they are no more Swedish than Ofili is British...

I hope you're speaking of Ludmila Enqvist, coz if you mean the Kallurs, then what you wrote makes no sense at all.

A bit of sarcasm. However, the difference might not really be all that big, even if the cases feel rather different. From what I remember (and the memory is vague), they may have been born in the US and spent a lot of time here. You likely remember/know a lot more of the particulars.
26mi235

Postby 72 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:24 am

The Kallur women are dual nationality cos daddy was playing ice hockey in the USA at the time they were born.They went to school and college in the States but they are not similar cases to certain "British" athletes like our short hurdler who competed for USA at Junior level, I believe, and our new Triple Jumper, who represented Cuba, Sudan and now UK.

Postby Powell » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:00 am

72 wrote:The Kallur women are dual nationality cos daddy was playing ice hockey in the USA at the time they were born.They went to school and college in the States

I believe they only lived in the US for the first few years of their lives, until their father retired from the NHL. They started their running careers in Sweden, and have been training there pretty much ever since, except for a brief stint in the NCAA (AFAIR they only spent one year in college in the US). Questioning their Swedishness is utter nonsense.
Powell

Postby John G » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:29 am

I've just read Gerard Hartman's excellent autobiography. As most of you will know he has been the physio to Radcliffe, Holmes, O'Sullivan, Kiptanui .. .. .. . the list goes on and on. It's an inspiring book which leaves you feeling that with perseverance and belief in yourself anything is possible. Really uplifting. He writes a lot about his relationship with Paula (he worked with her 25-30 hours a week during her training camp prior to London 2003). In the context of so much positivity however, his comment on her chances for next year seemed really bleak: " She will need belief beyond belief to succeed and plenty of luck." Perfectly realistic of course, but as a Paula fan I was hoping for more cause for optimism!

Disappointed that she didn't have a bash at the Euro XC but the 10k win at the weekend was encouraging.
John G

Postby dunedine » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:22 am

Not actually a medal contender but an interesting return to the fray nevertheless; Jade Johnson, seventh in both the last two Olympics in Athens and Beijing.

She ran 7.87 secs in a low-key 60m last week, her first sprint race in nearly two years.

http://athleticsstargate.wordpress.com/2011/12/26/the-return-of-jade-johnson/
dunedine

Postby dunedine » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:50 pm

More welcome returns to the fold as Simeon Williamson and Tyrone Edgar are back fully fit and will be competing indoors this winter.

http://athleticsstargate.wordpress.com/2011/12/29/williamson-aims-to-return-with-a-bang/
dunedine

Postby bushop » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:29 pm

Charles van Commenee: Van the man guiding home nation's hopes
"Since Beijing, Farah, Greene, Ennis and Idowu have [won] titles at the last two Worlds. Van Commenee's concern is that not enough fringe contenders have graduated to medal-winning status... Van Commenee is too pragmatic a soul to rely on the Wilkins Micawber principle of something turning up. From his own experience as a one-to-one coach, however, he knows that Olympic medals can emerge from the most unlikely sources.
bushop

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:51 am

Powell wrote:Questioning their Swedishness is utter nonsense.

Did I question their Swedishness (BTW, I am essentially of 100% Swedish/Danish descent)?
26mi235

Postby Powell » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:18 am

26mi235 wrote:
Powell wrote:Questioning their Swedishness is utter nonsense.

Did I question their Swedishness?

You certainly did, unless someone broke into your account and posted the below posing as you:
Powell

Postby Flumpy » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:28 am

Talk about a sense of humour failure :roll:
Flumpy

Postby dunedine » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:45 am

Rob Grabarz has got off to a sound start this season as he cleared a world indoor qualifier of 2.29m, doubling as a total PB, in the high jump from the off at the High Jump Gala at the HiPAC in Birmingham today. He also had a narrow miss at what would have been an Olympic A qualifier at 2.31m (you can see it in a short video on the link below).

http://athleticsstargate.wordpress.com/2012/01/07/grabarz-nails-world-qualifier-from-the-off/
dunedine

Postby dunedine » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:56 am

Incidentally, Julien Raffalli's Katie Byres set a total UK U20 record of 4.36m at Aulnay in France last night as she eclipsed Holly Bleasdale's mark of 4.35m outdoors in Blackburn in 2010.

http://athleticsstargate.wordpress.com/2012/01/08/byres-sets-new-uk-u20-record/

That's just 4cm off the B olympic standard though she is effectively going to need the A (4.50m) to make the British team but nothing can be ruled out.
dunedine

Postby nevetsllim » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:38 am

That's a good performance and she moves quite high on the world junior all-time lists too. Looks like the UK is gradually catching up with the rest of the world in the pole vault. :!:
nevetsllim

PreviousNext