Field & Track

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Field & Track

Postby tafnut » Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:05 pm

I hope that with e garry hill's undisguised prejudice towards field events (triple jumper that he was - or was it still the hop-skip-and-jump way back then?), this will be the first track board in history that is not dominated by geeky distance runners. Hey, anorexics, go elsewhere! Sprinters, hurdlers, throwers and jumpers, unite! We have nothing to fear now that we are in garry's protective (and large, I understand) embrace.
tafnut

Re: Field & Track

Postby gh » Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:23 pm

"large embrace"?!!!

I'll have you know I weigh about the same as I did in high school.

Of course it was in pounds then, kilos now. :-)

gh

ps--you can be a field eventer and be geeky. Who can ever forget Cordner Nelson's description of a Cal triple jumper in his coverage of the 1970 NCAA: "close-cropped anomaly Rich Dunn."

pps--what do you mean I'm only one of three people alive who was around for the 1970 NCAA?
gh

Postby Bob H » Thu Apr 17, 2003 6:07 am

>>pps--what do you mean I'm only one of three people alive who was around for the 1970 NCAA?<<

Well, let's see . . . there's you, and there's me, and . . . there must be a third out there somewhere, eh?
Bob H

Postby MJR » Thu Apr 17, 2003 6:29 am

... probably Walt Murphy ....
MJR

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 17, 2003 10:08 am

>ps--you can be a field eventer and be geeky.

Should we run that assertion by Charles Clinger and his socks?

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 17, 2003 10:14 am

field eventers of the world, unite !

Postby tafnut » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:56 am

I'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked, bronzed and put in a plexiglass exhibit - the FIRST-EVER tafnut thread! (of course, I may have just condemned it to Eternal Deletion!)
tafnut

Postby guru » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:12 am

Well, I've got to be a part of history!

By the way, who the heck is Guest? :wink:

guru

Postby trackstar » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:16 am

Count me as a geeky (but not as skinny as I used to be) distance runner who has become completely enamored with field events in my post-competitive days. I still love the distances, but every time I go to a meet, I immediately establish which seats will give me the best view of the high jump and pole vault. In fact, the only time I have ever covered a meet for T&FN -- the 2004 NCAAs -- the two events I covered were the men's HJ and javelin. Can't say I know a damn thing about the technical aspects of either event, but I sure enjoy watching.
trackstar

Postby mojo » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:22 am

What is the point of this thread???

Not that I am against it as a die hard" fielder" just wondering.....
mojo

Postby tafnut » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:28 am

It was initiated on the first day of this board, April 16, 2003. It was meant to acknowledge the existence of a REAL track & FIELD board in cyberspace. Darkwing was the closest thing to being real, but it was just a collection of e-mails, and believe it or else: I was a lurker there and never posted! (and it's too late to go back - so HA!)
tafnut

Postby maggot » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:38 am

If one is really into field events, one needs to buy multiple tickets to major meets.
The stands near the PV in Sacto were listed as general admission. I tried to get in to watch the women's PV but couldn't because I didn't have a general admission ticket. just one for a reserved seat.
maggot

Postby big mac » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:41 am

Thrower and proud here.
big mac

Postby marknhj » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:30 pm

I was a lurker there and never posted! (and it's too late to go back - so HA!)[/quote]

I find that incredibly hard to believe!
marknhj

Postby tafnut » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:36 pm

I find that incredibly hard to believe!

I can understand that, but it was a very weird dynamic that even I felt off-putting. What did others think of the difference between there and here? Why did gh or D-W-I-G-H-T leave?
tafnut

Postby gh » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:46 pm

I left Darkwing because the number of posters had shrunk to so few that it had become like eavesdropping on private conversations.

I don't want to put word's in Big D's mouth, but I THINK he bailed simply because his life is too busy to spend a significant amount of time on Boards, and when you're driven like he is, you do it right, or you don't do it at all.
gh

Postby Jnathletics » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:53 pm

tafnut wrote:It was initiated on the first day of this board, April 16, 2003. It was meant to acknowledge the existence of a REAL track & FIELD board in cyberspace.

What about Trackshark.com, that board covers a lot of topics and draws a wide range of posters. Or are you put off because they cover X-C in the fall?

X-C runner and proud. But, unlike some I love all the events. (pick 3 fav's even Letterman does a top 10 list every weekday night.) :wink:
Jnathletics

Postby tafnut » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:55 pm

What about Trackshark.com, that board covers a lot of topics and draws a wide range of posters. Or are you put off because they cover X-C in the fall?

Trackshark is GREAT! But it's mostly NCAA oriented. I'll cruise it all spring for collegiate stuff, just as I cruise dyestat for HS, but I get elite domestic and international here as well, i.e., the Total Fix!
tafnut

Postby polevaultpower » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:39 pm

I'm not sure Trackshark even had a message board in spring of '03, and at any rate, it is dominated by sprinters.
polevaultpower

Postby polevaultpower » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:41 pm

tafnut wrote: Darkwing was the closest thing to being real, but it was just a collection of e-mails, and believe it or else: I was a lurker there and never posted! (and it's too late to go back - so HA!)

It's not too late. Darkwing still exists, in a nearly comatose form.
polevaultpower

Postby fieldguy » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:13 am

Why is the long jump pit always on the side opposite the press box? Even at the Olympics, you needed "field'' glasses to really appreciate Carl Lewis.
fieldguy

Postby gh » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:57 am

Actually, it's not "always," although more often than not it is (believe we had a thread once where we delineated the positins of all the WC/OG LJs). Unless they change things, you can look for the LJ right next to the sprint straightaway at the '08 OT in Eugene.

The '03 WC in Paris actually had the LJ not only on the pressbox side, but also OUTSIDE the track, right up against the stands. Which, of course, created some line-of-sight problems.
gh

Postby EPelle » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:21 am

I'm with you guys here...

But the four walls which surround my nation - that is to say Klüft, Olsson, Holm and Bergqvist - are field eventers (for the sake of argument). Musse can steeple his way into the Olympics final, and then follow it up with a World Championships final berth. Awesome. Love to see the kid challenge the Kenyans.

But there is something more which I gain in watching...

:: Slesarenko, Bergqvist, Palomar in their medal wars
:: Holm, Bába, Freitag and Rybakov push each other higher and higher
:: Klüft, Barber and Sotherton walk a mile in each other's shoes
:: Olsson, Oprea, Gregório. Douglas and Davis duke it out down the stretch and into the sand pit.

Track is awesome... men, women - athletes - run fast and produce on-your-feet finishes. However, unlike field, 100m races doesn:t lend moments for other athletes to take leads, and up the anté for the rest of the field to make a move and push the leader out of the way. One race, one move, one-two-three at the finish.

Issy flies over a bar, there is still tension on the runway for second and third. There is anticipation in the stands for Issy to set a WR.

What it comes down to for me - a 1,500m die-hard - is that there are no rabbits in the field events. Each person pushes themselves and their competitors to their competitive and emotional limits... 2.40i (Holm over Rybakov at this year:s ECs) was a test between two battling foes, not someone who took them to 2.38 and decided to drop out to set up a great finish.

Long live track. Long endure field.
EPelle

Postby lonewolf49 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:16 pm

I may be a tad predjudiced, having majored in horizontal jumps as competitor and official but I believe jumpers and officials prefer to be near the stands, just as spectators interested in those events would like to be able to see the board and landing.
The only upside of being out of the heavy traffic on the finish side straight, that I can think of, is, it cuts down on people crossing the runway in the path of jumpers, despite ropes, flags and marshals.

My conclusion is that the horizontal pits frequently are laid out and designed by by someone with little knowledge of the event.

For instance:
1. Pits placed so close to the curve that jumpers running through the pit either have to put on the brakes or run onto the track
2. Runways in the "end zone" oriented perpendicularr to the straight are too short , particularly for TJ. Jumpers are forced to run onto track.
3. Pits parallel to track placed so close to track that pit rakers on the track side have to take care to not put a rake handle into the stomach of runners.
4. Double Wide Pits. I don't know who thought this was a good idea. Beautiful to behold. Very difficult to drag a leveling bar ( even if you are assigned four linebackers for that purpost) Difficult to accurately determine the landing area on the wide side. Difficult to rake or broom. Impractical for simultaneous competition.
5. No provision for watering pit. (This even happened at the World University Games, Buffalo 1993. State of the art pits, beautiful sand, had to form a 200 meter long sprinkling can brigade to get any water on the double wide pits. Two female offficials still wear gold sprinkle can lapel pins in fond memory of that fiasco.)
6. Sand build up around pits that do not have a perimeter sand grate/reservoir.
7. Take off boards that are difficult /impossible to adjust or replace.
8. Runways that cross Jav runwas or cross/share PV runway.
9. Pits in path of and within range of Discus and Hammer.
What am I forgetting?
lonewolf49

Postby lonewolf49 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:22 pm

Oh, yeah,
10. Parallel runway/pits so close together it is difficult to work simultaneous events
11. Parallel pit stagger that puts officials from the two pits on top of each other
when conducting two events simultaneously.
lonewolf49

Postby mike renfro » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:24 pm

The '03 WC in Paris actually had the LJ not only on the pressbox side, but also OUTSIDE the track, right up against the stands. Which, of course, created some line-of-sight problems.[/quote]

Not if you sat on god's/dog's side :-)
mike renfro

Postby gh » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:29 pm

lonewolf49 wrote:I may be a tad predjudiced, having majored in horizontal jumps as competitor and official but I believe jumpers and officials prefer to be near the stands, just as spectators interested in those events would like to be able to see the board and landing.
The only upside of being out of the heavy traffic on the finish side straight, that I can think of, is, it cuts down on people crossing the runway in the path of jumpers, despite ropes, flags and marshals. My conclusion is that the horizontal pits frequently are laid out and designed by by someone with little knowledge of the event....
What am I forgetting?

1. One big thing to consider is the paying customer, who gets to see the finish of no race from close up if he's on the backstretch.

2. Once you move out of the high school level, meet officials are likely going to want to stop horizontal jumping every time there's a straightaway race. This can make for a lot of delays in getting the horizontals off.

3. At the WC/OG level, they don't want to have to interrupt horizontals to do victory ceremonies.
gh

Postby mike renfro » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:32 pm

What am I forgetting?[/quote]

Maybe the most important point for LJ/TJ, does the runway/pit arangement gibe with the prevailing winds in the stadium? Many places have jumping into headwinds as standard. The knowledge of wind patterns applies to DT/JT as well
mike renfro

Postby Marlow » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:49 pm

10 years tomorra. Good on ya. To the disgruntlement of some, it's the day 'Twitter' was invented for this poor schlub. Sorry to the many, but it has brought me an outlet for my passion theretofore unattended. :D
Marlow

Postby runforlife » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:28 pm

Bob H wrote: there must be a third out there somewhere, eh?

It's me!! It's me!! It's me!!! I was there and saw my first WR, Pre's first NCAA title and the indoor HJ finals.
runforlife