Curtis Mitchell turns pro

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Curtis Mitchell turns pro

Postby westcoasttiger » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:37 pm

Word is Curtiss Mitchell has turned pro in the last few days, foregoing his final year at Texas A&M. Heard he is joining Lance Brauman's group in Florida and leaving his A&M coaches and training group which included Wallace Spearmon.
westcoasttiger

Re: Curtiss Mitchell turns pro

Postby gh » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:36 am

see news item now on front page
gh

Postby LH06 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:05 am

Hope Curtis does well in the Pro. I think he could be a real good one.

In regards to the news on front page, don't most athletes who do go pro early, end up finishing their degree during the off-season??.... A fair number of A&M athletes major in "general studies" so i'd imagine he can finish the degree up at any university.
LH06

Postby gh » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:22 am

LH06 wrote:... i'd imagine he can finish the degree up at any university.

"can" and "will" are two vastly different words. Ask anybody who has ever walked away from school (at any level) with perfectly good intentions.
gh

Re: Curtis Mitchell turns pro

Postby valleyrunner » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:52 am

Great article and quotes from Pat Henry. Gotta agree with his take on this. Seems this was a move by adidas to lock him up cheap and early before Nike picks him up in June. Mitchell's loss to take at least less than half the money he would have received in June. Also never good to burn a bridge with your college coach.
valleyrunner

Postby 2Focused » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:12 pm

valleyrunner wrote:Great article and quotes from Pat Henry. Gotta agree with his take on this. Seems this was a move by adidas to lock him up cheap and early before Nike picks him up in June. Mitchell's loss to take at least less than half the money he would have received in June. Also never good to burn a bridge with your college coach.

Its the allure of the game. If I was Pat, I would feel used and very upset as well. Curtis used the money, resources, and facilities of A&M essentially all fall that couldve gone towards another athlete that was actually going to represent and help the university out. Patience and timing are key with contract negotiations and someone really got in there and hustled him. I wish the best for him but it just wasnt an ideal move, especially switching training regimens mid year and trying to transition from collegiate to pro
2Focused

Postby polevaultpower » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:55 pm

LH06 wrote: A fair number of A&M athletes major in "general studies" so i'd imagine he can finish the degree up at any university.

Keep in mind that every University has different graduation requirements. Unless you stay in the same State University system, you're probably looking at a completely different set of gen ed requirements which will probably put you back at least a semester or two... and that's a semester or two of taking boring classes that have little relevance to the real world.

I should know... I transferred twice as an undergrad. I have a VERY well-rounded education, meeting all of the gen-eds at three different schools :shock:
polevaultpower

Postby nodnarb » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:52 pm

How many noticed that time in Fayetteville? - somebody without a degree and a weak contract is "looking like a fool".... I hope other young talented college runners will learn from his mistake...
nodnarb

Postby texas_speed » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:17 am

Hate to say I agree. He was strutting around Fayetteville prior to the race decked out in his adidas gear like he was the second coming.

Sad story IMO.
texas_speed

Postby 2Focused » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:50 am

What was the result?
2Focused

Postby texas_speed » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:25 pm

http://www.flashresults.com/2011_Meets/ ... ts22-1.htm

Men's 200 Meter Dash Final

Event Records
 Record Tag Time Athlete Affiliation Date 
Randal Tyson F 20.10 Wallace Spearmon   Arkansas   March 11 2005 
Meet M 20.19 Wallace Spearmon  Nike  2008 
NCAA Auto A 20.83      

Place Athlete Name Yr Affiliation Time           Heat(Pl)
 1 Maurice Mitchell JR Florida State 20.70   A        2 (1)
 2 Brandon Byram SR Florida State 20.74   A        1 (1)
 3 Tony McQuay SO Florida 20.88           3 (1)
 4 TJ Graham SO North Carolina St. 20.90           5 (1)
 5 Zye Boey SO Eastern Illinois 20.97           1 (2)
 6 Kind Butler JR Indiana 21.01           13 (1)
 7 Marek Niit SO Arkansas 21.02           3 (2)
 8 Waymon Storey FR Georgia 21.13           10 (1)
 9 Leonardo Seymore SO Florida 21.16           4 (1)
 10 LaShawn Butler SR Arkansas 21.18           2 (2)
 11 Rubin William Unattached 21.19           1 (3)
 12 Michael Tinsley Adidas 21.24           6 (1)
 13 Ben Major SO North Carolina St. 21.30           9 (1)
 14 Antonio Sales SR South Carolina 21.34           2 (3)
 15 Keenan Brock FR Auburn 21.35           9 (2)
 16 Gabriel Mvumvure SR LSU 21.36           5 (2)
 17 Mychal Dungey SR TCU 21.38           8 (1)
 18 Stanley Azie SR Illinois 21.42           7 (1)
 19 Curtis Mitchell Adidas 21.43           4 (2)
texas_speed

Postby 7-sided » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:08 am

"looking like a fool" is kind of harsh. 21.43 at the same track where he ran 20.38 should be cause for alarm - but not panic; given that he is now "pro" I won't worry too much. Plus, most messageboard/online posters give too much credence to early season results.

However, as of right now, I'm not that convinced that he's a 200m runner. Unless he can show sub-10 potential he might just be a really fast 400m runner.

A&M has done an incredible job recruiting the absolute best from high school (and JUCO) and managing those athletes collegiate careers, but I'm not as sold on their "pro" program. It wouldn't surprise me if Mayo, Lucas, Beard, Tarmoh, etc never won an individual medal at WC or Olympics (and all were top junior/high school athletes). And, it will be interesting to see if Spearmon or Lee - the most promising athletes of that camp - can win individual medals this year or next.
7-sided

Postby valleyrunner » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:32 pm

texas speed wrote:

"Hate to say I agree. He was strutting around Fayetteville prior to the race decked out in his adidas gear like he was the second coming.

Sad story IMO."

Also reported he was spouting off before the meet he felt ready for a big PR and a run at the world record. Did perhaps he get injured or stumble? Hard to run that slow in lane 6.
valleyrunner

Postby TxHottrack » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:21 pm

Hopefully, Mitchell next race he runs a sub 20. I think he is more of a 400/200 mtrs type of guy.I also think it would have been best for him to stick with A&M until his collegiate season is completed. However, I wish the best for him.
TxHottrack

Postby texas_speed » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:18 pm

Sub 20 indoors for Mitchell? You think he's capable of that in his next race?
texas_speed

Postby valleyrunner » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:10 pm

Txhottrack wrote:

"Hopefully, Mitchell next race he runs a sub 20. I think he is more of a 400/200 mtrs type of guy.I also think it would have been best for him to stick with A&M until his collegiate season is completed. However, I wish the best for him."

I assume you to think he next races outdoors to get that sort of time but realistically looking at the video of his 19.99 its worth noting the perfect monster quartering wind that aided him greatly through most of the turn and then pushed him down the homestretch as well some while not exceeding 2.0. One of the wind issues when trying to measure wind in the 200.I was at the race and felt it was a 4.0 or 5.0 tail wind. So all this pressure on Mitchell to hit that time next time out is not really going to serve him well.
valleyrunner

Postby Tracksta13 » Sun May 26, 2013 1:40 pm

Any idea where this guy is?
Tracksta13

Postby tandfman » Sun May 26, 2013 1:51 pm

Tracksta13 wrote:Any idea where this guy is?

Probably home, or on his way home from New York, where he finished 6th in the 200 at the Diamond League meet yesterday.
tandfman

Postby gktrack » Sun May 26, 2013 2:54 pm

Tracksta13 wrote:Any idea where this guy is?

I'm pretty sure he's training with Tyson Gay's group in Clermont, Pure Athletics group.
I believe Marvin Bracy just joined that group, along with N. Ashmeade, K. Bledman, A. Edward, R. McKenzie, G. Phiri, J. Harvey (most coached by Lance Brauman).

I seem to recall a sub-46 split for C. Mitchell earlier this season.
Last edited by gktrack on Sun May 26, 2013 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gktrack

Postby ATK » Sun May 26, 2013 3:10 pm

It's very disappointing to see where Mitchell is now. I feel as if his short success got to his head. Has he ever even run at a US championship?
ATK

Postby valleyrunner » Sun May 26, 2013 5:55 pm

Mitchell looked terrible yesterday. While entered in lane 8 he slipped/staggered/ran much of curve in lane 7 and still wasn't DQ'd but I didn't see any evidence of a turn judge official so the reason for no DQ. Technique looked awful while looking stiff. He is with Brauman group and has faced 2-3 injuries in past 18 months since turning pro.

Problem in many pro groups is lack of a coach who has the relationship that a college coach has to guide an athlete through the off the track stuff that can easily distract an athlete from success. Much like 1 and done guys in NBA who have a great frosh season of hoops then disappear in the league without that extra help they got in college.
valleyrunner

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun May 26, 2013 6:04 pm

The life of a pro track athlete isn't as glamorous and financially rewarding as some kids may think which explains why Leroy Burrell tried to get his son to keep his football options open. On the other hand, more and more pro football players are saying that they don't want their sons to play football due to the long-term medical risks.
jazzcyclist

Postby valleyrunner » Sun May 26, 2013 6:08 pm

Dead on jazzcylist. While we have many coaches in college trying to motivate their athletes through the "riches" of pro track when reality is fewer than 2 dozen live a great life as a pro. Most suffer many ups and downs and with the down economy in Europe the actual money to make in meets has gone down over the past 5 years as meets have dried up. A scholarship is a better deal for 99% of collegiate athletes out there than turning pro early.
valleyrunner

Postby ATK » Sun May 26, 2013 6:26 pm

And just to reiterate the article this original topic was opened off of, (cant seem to find it on the site any more) the quote from Pat Henry at the time:

I’m not unhappy with Curtis’ ultimate goal of being a professional athlete, but I do take issue with the timing and the manner in which this occurred.
It’s often assumed that athletes make this professional move due to academic ineligibility. Curtis was in good standing academically, with no problems what so ever, and was ready to go athletically as well. He leaves with a year of eligibility remaining and his education unfinished.
We have agents and management groups who prey on young people’s financial dreams and aspirations with no regard to the person’s education or even athletic growth. This particular situation borders on legal issues with respect to agents and state laws.
Of course I wish Curtis all the best, but I think the timing of his decision was misguided.
ATK