USADA suspends retired miler Lukezic

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

USADA suspends retired miler Lukezic

Postby gh » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:37 am

See stories on front page about ham-handed handling of a "drug" case.
gh

Re: USADA suspends retired miler Lukezic

Postby lonewolf » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:47 am

Maybe the overly zealous collectors just like to watch men pee. :|
lonewolf

Postby guru » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:13 pm

While I have no doubt he's being truthful, he should have followed the protocol(filing the paperwork with USADA) that would have prevented the whole situation from taking place. It's there for a reason, and following it(to the end) is part of being a professional.
guru

Postby Marlow » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:22 pm

guru wrote:While I have no doubt he's being truthful, he should have followed the protocol that would have prevented the whole situation from taking place. It's there for a reason, and following it(to the end) is part of being a professional.

I'm of two minds here (hence the diagnosis of clinical insanity :D )

Mind 1: i agree with guru. I have been tested randomly throughout my professional life and my response has always been, 'you can have the pee you want; I'm done with it.' By 'standing on principle' he has shed some doubt on himself. Sure, they had no 'cause' to ask for it after retirement, but why NOT provide some closure on a good career? It just ain't that big a deal.

Mind 2: If USADA decides to never again test a retired athlete, because of the stink raised here, we have ourselves a good outcome for all.
Marlow

Postby Dutra » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:26 pm

Can't the knucklehead drug nazi's simply tell a person in the situation Lukezic is in that he can't compete until he clears a drug test rather than suspending him for a couple of years?

It's so stupid.
Dutra

Postby meninblack » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:19 pm

Irrespective of whether the correct paper work was filed/received, it was STUPID of the USADA to follow thru with a very public suspension of an obviously retired athlete.

Kudos to CL for taking a stand in the face of the drug testing nazis.
meninblack

Postby TrakFan » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:27 pm

It’s silly and very heavy handed of USADA. There should be some type of coordination between the 2 agencies. Its surprising that there isn't an automatic process that removes an athlete from testing if that athlete no longer competes under that governing body.

So...Hypothetically, someone like AJ could be suspended by USADA for 2 years if he didn't notify them of his retirement, and refuses to pee in a cup...even though USATF is aware http://www.usatf.org/news/view.aspx?DUI ... 0_18_55_35 ??
TrakFan

Postby TrakFan » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:49 pm

USATF Retirement Form (Pg 12)
http://www.usatf.org/about/governance/2 ... ction5.pdf

Ironically, it states:
"I understand I will be removed from USATF's Out-of-Competition drug testing program."

USADA's Retirement Policy
http://www.usada.org/files/pdfs/retirem ... erhead.pdf

It’s a bit redundant, and dare I say wasteful (government). Why require individual emails and faxes from numerous athletes, when USATF already has the official signed and notarized retirement form from the athletes if they've "officially" retired?
TrakFan

Postby doug5321 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:59 pm

i have read that some PED's give an athlete an advantage basically for an athletes career (the article was asking to get rid of 2 and 4 year bans and make them lifetime bans.
IF that is true shouldnt recently retired athletes especially recently retired YOUNG athletes be tested? so they dont say okay no olympics or globals this year, why dont i not compete this year and avoid being tested by announcing i am retired and then in a year or two or three years announce i am coming back.
i am not saying lukezic is or is not doing this, i have no clue, but what would you think of a 26 year old morrocan runner who has run 3:33 for 1500 who announces retirement at age 24 or 25 and then refuses to take a simple urine sample claiming he is now retired and shouldnt have to take the test.

not so sure about comebacks in track, but in boxing george foreman decided to make a comeback after about 10 years, ray leonard made a lot of retirement announcements and came back with his biggest coming out of retirement fight coming against marvin hagler after being retired for 5 years.
point is athletes can come out of retirement, and track really only being in the spotlight 1 year out of 4 would be a sport that could easily have preplanned temporary retirements so the athlete can train, not worry about testers, use PED's, then not having been tested announce a comeback.

again it is not wether i think or dont think chris lukezic is doing this, i just think an athlete or former athlete should have to submit to tests.
doug5321

Postby TrakFan » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:20 pm

doug5321 wrote:IF that is true shouldnt recently retired athletes especially recently retired YOUNG athletes be tested? so they dont say okay no olympics or globals this year, why dont i not compete this year and avoid being tested by announcing i am retired and then in a year or two or three years announce i am coming back.

Look at part 2 on USAFT's retirement form, and you'll find a decent answer to your question. There is a testing policy in place for those who "unretire". You must be re-enrolled and submit to testing during a 12 month period before being eligible to compete again.
TrakFan

Postby duckedup » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:34 am

oh thats awesome, what a smart and interesting way to ensure former world class american athletes continue to stay involved in the sport and give back. :?
if someone showed up at my house at 6:45am on a tuesday i'll tell em to turn around and get ready for a swift kick right in the kisser. absolute BS
duckedup

Postby Marlow » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:18 am

I guess all they had to do is tell him that if he did not submit for testing he could not unretire, after which, if he agreed, they simply proffer a form agreeing to that and they're done. Poorly handled.
Marlow

Postby gh » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:02 am

I understand that rules are rules, but once again the drug zealots are completely tone deaf. They could quite easily have filed a confidential note with USATF/IAAF/Lukezic and note that if he ever tried to compete again, then they'd go public with this "transgression."

If they think they're convincing the general public that witch hunts like this put our sport in a better light, they're sadly mistaken.

This did not belong in public view.

What's particularly galling is that even if did fail to file, his retirement was a high-profile very public thing. There was certainly no intent to deceive anyone.
gh

Postby Dutra » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:34 am

There's a feedback button on the USADA.org site.
Dutra

Postby Marlow » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:44 am

Dutra wrote:There's a feedback button on the USADA.org site.

Is 'puking' a synonym for 'feed-back'? :twisted:
Marlow

Postby DecFan » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:48 am

Dutra wrote:There's a feedback button on the USADA.org site.

I responded via this feedback button. Here is the response I received:

Thanks for your comments regarding, Chris Lukezic. Please note that we take comments from those outside of the organization seriously and we appreciate input on the organization.

In regard to your concern, the issue of retirement is one that has been addressed in our policies very specifically. In the case of Chris, the issue was not that we didn’t have a policy for handling a retired athlete, but that he did not in fact retire properly. The procedure for retiring is very clear, very simple and laid out specifically in both our protocols, and the ongoing education that athletes receive. Our protocols can be downloaded from the following location (http://www.usada.org/files/pdfs/usada-protocol.pdf). Additionally I have added in the section on retirement below.

Retirement Rules

In accordance with the USOC NADP, any Athlete or other Person enrolled in the USADA

Registered Testing Pool (“USADA RTP”) who wishes to be removed from the program

on account of retirement, must promptly notify in writing, USADA and the applicable

National Governing Body (“NGB”). Additionally, it is important for you to check

with your particular International Federation (“IF”) to ensure compliance with

any required IF retirement procedures or policies.

If you retire, you will be removed immediately from the USADA RTP. In accordance

with the USOC NADP, if you ever want to come out of retirement and return to eligible

status, you must enroll in the USADA RTP for at least six (6) months in advance of

regaining eligible status. Furthermore, pursuant to the USOC policies, all Athletes or

other Persons who are candidates for membership on the U.S. Olympic or Paralympic

teams must be enrolled in the USADA RTP for a period up to twelve (12) months

before the commencement of the Competition. Additionally, it is important for you

to confirm whether your particular IF has additional requirements in order for you to

regain eligibility after retirement.

I hope this helps you understand that these issues are not just handled on a case-by-case, or “judgments call” basis. We in fact have a very specific protocol that is followed each and every time. The overwhelming majority of athletes never have an issue.

Please let me know if you have any further questions
DecFan

Postby 26mi235 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:00 am

DecFan wrote:In regard to your concern, the issue of retirement is one that has been addressed in our policies very specifically. In the case of Chris, the issue was not that we didn’t have a policy for handling a retired athlete, but that he did not in fact retire properly. ...

I hope this helps you understand that these issues are not just handled on a case-by-case, or “judgments call” basis. We in fact have a very specific protocol that is followed each and every time. The overwhelming majority of athletes never have an issue.

Please let me know if you have any further questions

The problem is that they are utterly tone-deaf. Why should there be a public announcement about this situation, especially since he eventually filed the appropriate paperwork. They could, as noted above, simply kept it out of the limelight until an appropriate period had passed with no competition etc.

One problem is that someone may get brownie points for catching a cheater. The agency should not particularly get brownie points for catching someone; they should be completely neutral as to the outcome of the process, much like an official should be judging whether someone was over the line in a LJ.
26mi235

Postby rainy.here » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:44 pm

Decfan, that is almost exactly the same response I got.
rainy.here

Postby gh » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:27 pm

26mi235 wrote:... The agency should not particularly get brownie points for catching someone; they should be completely neutral as to the outcome of the process, much like an official should be judging whether someone was over the line in a LJ.

Such has always been my take also. They should be serving as the jury, not the DA-promotion-seeking prosecutor. Their whole job description is completely upgefukt.
gh

Postby El Toro » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:12 am

You think this is fucked up??? Try this WADA bullshit!! What a pack of fucking self important cunts whose actual worth is the inverse of their own self assessment. WADA proves intellectual deficiency
El Toro

Postby Halfmiler2 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:34 am

USADA has a tough and often thankless job. And Chris could have filled out the darn forms - there is a legit reason for them. That being said , I agree that USADA could have made the suspension privately unless Chris tried to come back out of retirement. This does not have the deterrent effect that a real drug bust has.
Halfmiler2