Women to compete in decathlon?


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Women to compete in decathlon?

Postby eldanielfire » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:23 am

ralmcg wrote:eldanielfire, I looked at the websites you suggested. Sure some females, like some males, will not be interested in sports. However, a good deal of discouragement for females to do sports, especially "masculine" sports, comes from society. If society puts more resources into female sports and change its attitude towards female athletes then more females would participate in sports that may make them more muscular, which nothing is wrong with that.


I agree, hence my praise of Ennis. But women shouldn't be told that their image doesn't matter. It's easy for men, an sports body is an idealised image across the board. However big muscly arms is not for women. By that I mean weight lifter size IMO, however many women have levels well below that as their limits.
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: Women to compete in decathlon?

Postby ralmcg » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:02 am

eldanielfire wrote:
ralmcg wrote:eldanielfire, I looked at the websites you suggested. Sure some females, like some males, will not be interested in sports. However, a good deal of discouragement for females to do sports, especially "masculine" sports, comes from society. If society puts more resources into female sports and change its attitude towards female athletes then more females would participate in sports that may make them more muscular, which nothing is wrong with that.


I agree, hence my praise of Ennis. But women shouldn't be told that their image doesn't matter. It's easy for men, an sports body is an idealised image across the board. However big muscly arms is not for women. By that I mean weight lifter size IMO, however many women have levels well below that as their limits.

Which brings me to question why their body image should matter, especially in sports. They can have big muscular arms if they want. I don't believe that they should take steroids to get them however.
ralmcg
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:30 am

Re: Women to compete in decathlon?

Postby aaronk » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:11 am

ralmcg wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
ralmcg wrote:eldanielfire, I looked at the websites you suggested. Sure some females, like some males, will not be interested in sports. However, a good deal of discouragement for females to do sports, especially "masculine" sports, comes from society. If society puts more resources into female sports and change its attitude towards female athletes then more females would participate in sports that may make them more muscular, which nothing is wrong with that.


I agree, hence my praise of Ennis. But women shouldn't be told that their image doesn't matter. It's easy for men, an sports body is an idealised image across the board. However big muscly arms is not for women. By that I mean weight lifter size IMO, however many women have levels well below that as their limits.

Which brings me to question why their body image should matter, especially in sports. They can have big muscular arms if they want. I don't believe that they should take steroids to get them however.


They take steroids.....and they won't have to even CONSIDER doing any more "masculine" events!!

Or feminine, for that matter!! :P
aaronk
 
Posts: 3362
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: Women to compete in decathlon?

Postby eldanielfire » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:57 am

ralmcg wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
ralmcg wrote:eldanielfire, I looked at the websites you suggested. Sure some females, like some males, will not be interested in sports. However, a good deal of discouragement for females to do sports, especially "masculine" sports, comes from society. If society puts more resources into female sports and change its attitude towards female athletes then more females would participate in sports that may make them more muscular, which nothing is wrong with that.


I agree, hence my praise of Ennis. But women shouldn't be told that their image doesn't matter. It's easy for men, an sports body is an idealised image across the board. However big muscly arms is not for women. By that I mean weight lifter size IMO, however many women have levels well below that as their limits.

Which brings me to question why their body image should matter, especially in sports. They can have big muscular arms if they want. I don't believe that they should take steroids to get them however.


It's not about the sport, it's the rest of their lives that influence their self image, which isn't just body image but perceptions they do something manish.
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: Women to compete in decathlon?

Postby ralmcg » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:12 pm

eldanielfire wrote:
It's not about the sport, it's the rest of their lives that influence their self image, which isn't just body image but perceptions they do something manish.

Which begs the question mannish by what standard? My answer would be society's arbitrary standards, which may have some basis in nature but are mostly what a lot of people think are suppose to be the standards of men and the standards of women (i.e. strength in men, grace in women). In other words the perceptions of women doing "manly" things are based on sex roles that have been in effect of centuries if not millenia, even if they are restrictive.
ralmcg
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:30 am

Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: rsb2 and 6 guests