Happy Anniversary! One Month!

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Happy Anniversary! One Month!

Postby gh » Fri May 16, 2003 8:36 am

Greetings to one and all as Super Conference Weekend unfolds.

As they say, time really flies when you're having fun, and I'm stunned to discover that it has already been a month since we finally launched this message board. Hope you're all enjoying it as much as we at T&FN are. Even if it is negatively impacting our ability to concentrate on the job at hand!

On the behalf of the staff let me say that the board has far outperformed our expectations. The quality (and variety) of posts has been absolutely first-rate. And the day doesn't go by that some sharp new face doesn't appear on the scene.

We're also glad to note that we've had to ding almost no posts/threads. Hopefully we can leave things as they are, virtually unmoderated, yet without being stuffy.

One request I would make, being the anal sort (or maybe it's two requests):
1. Please try not to change the direction of a thread. If you want to go off on a tangent, simply start a new one.
2. Try not to introduce sub-threads. Like if somebody is talking about the greatest milers, don't say "I think Carl Lewis was best in the 100."

Thanks for joining us!

gh

ps--since this talks about stuff a month ago,should I have posted it on the Historical side instead?
gh

Re: Happy Anniversary! One Month!

Postby Guest » Fri May 16, 2003 8:52 am

I didn't realise (btw...I can spell, I'm a Brit in LA and spell in English English, not American English) this was so new. However, I'm going to have to go into some kind of T&F detox program next week in order not to get fired!

Postby Jefferson Buffalo » Fri May 16, 2003 8:58 am

>However, I'm going to have to go into some kind of T&F detox program next week in order not to get fired!<

Don't worry about that. I'm forming a addicts' support group for people who do get fired.
Jefferson Buffalo

Postby Guest » Fri May 16, 2003 9:05 am

In terms of behaviour (a little humour for marknhj here] modification, how about you ask the guy over on the Ryun/Keino thread (I won't embarrass him by mentioning his name) to stop eating up bandwith by copying huge portions of previous notes with his replies. Thenk you!

Postby jsquire » Fri May 16, 2003 9:09 am

>In terms of behaviour (a little humour for
>marknhj here] modification, how about you ask the
>guy over on the Ryun/Keino thread (I won't
>embarrass him by mentioning his name) to stop
>eating up bandwith by copying huge portions of
>previous notes with his replies. Thenk you!

OK. ;)
jsquire

Postby Guest » Fri May 16, 2003 9:13 am

OK, Mr. S, you're a good sport. Twas nothing personal.

Actually, I find that this board operates so quickly (at least on a dedicated line) that unless I'm reacting to something farther up the line there's no need to copy any words at all: the posts just flow from one to another seamlessly.

Postby Guest » Fri May 16, 2003 9:17 am

For the seriously addicted there is a similar forum on www.iaaf.org. Hit the community then forum buttons....oh damn there's my boss, gotta go!

Postby Guest » Fri May 16, 2003 9:27 am

Been there, tried that. While I really enjoyed the international feel, I felt that the whole thing has fallen victim to what happens to so many boards: a small group of posters turn it into a private conversation, which eventually chokes off all opinion but there own.

And you can go blind from all those stupid smilies! Thankgoodness this board doesn't have that function.

Postby Guest » Fri May 16, 2003 9:51 am

ps--was good to see one of the IAAF stalwarts Pavvka, recently make his debut here.

Postby 1.97hjsteve » Fri May 16, 2003 11:32 am

Jefferson Buffalo, I have the same problem ! I am supposed to be working for a living but I keep being drawn to this T&FN Message Board as if it were a GIANT magnet! I am going to eventually get in trouble for this !
1.97hjsteve

Postby Guest » Fri May 16, 2003 11:44 am

well, as long as everyone gets there job done without diminished performance....

if you're doing it doing lunch or breaks, then you should be ok...

or if your employer is a kind generous soul, then things should be cool..