No Drossin In Nationals 10K?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

No Drossin In Nationals 10K?

Postby Guest » Fri May 16, 2003 6:44 am

I just read on another site that becuase of the new tight window for USATF qualifying that she doens't have a qualifier so can't run in PaloAlto. PLEASE TELL ME THEY'LL FIND A WAY TO GET HER IN!!!!!!!!

Re: No Drossin In Nationals 10K?

Postby bubba » Fri May 16, 2003 7:00 am

she could run 33:50 (USATF A standard) in her sleep. why should USATF go to the trouble of giving her a free pass?

She probably went through 10k in London faster than 33:50.
bubba

Postby Guest » Fri May 16, 2003 7:11 am

Ridiculous! How can they call it the national championship without her? You'd think they'd find a way to get the 2000 and 2001 national champ. into the race.

Postby tandfman » Fri May 16, 2003 7:54 am

>PLEASE TELL ME THEY'LL FIND A WAY TO
GET HER IN!!!!!!!!<<

You don't have to shout. They'll find a way to get her in.
tandfman

Postby gh » Fri May 16, 2003 7:55 am

USATF Rule 10.3(b)1:

"Any athlete who has, in the current year or during the four previous calendar years, earned an individual medal in track & field in an Olympic Games orin an IAAF World Indoor or Outdoor Championship, or in the previous year won an individual USA Open OUtdoor Chamionship event shall be afforded automatic qualification into all USA Open Indoor and Outdoor Track & Field Chamionships and Olympic Trials..."

She doesn't meet any of those criteria (although I certainly think a XC medal should count), but the kicker is that until just a year or so ago (I don't have the old rulebooks with me) she would have been in becuase the 4-year window applied to national titles,not just the medals.

So, bottom line is that she needs to look up Anneka Sorenstam and find out how to get a "sponsor's exemption"!
gh

Postby sl » Fri May 16, 2003 10:59 am

Do we have any indication she's even interested in running the track nationals?

All a roundabout way of leading to a question I've had for a while: Why did they schedule the USATF Half-Marathon Champs the same weekend as the track nationals?

As I think about it, Deena probably does have track aspirations this summer since she has said she does not plan to run a fall marathon.
sl