Dan O'Brien

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Dan O'Brien

Postby abinferno » Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:36 pm

Has anyone heard anything on Dan's plans for next year. I know he's been claiming over the past couple of years to make a run at the '04 olympics. He even did a whole 8 events of a decathlon in the time period. Even his website is claiming he's going to challenge for an olympic spot. While I think he's deluding himself, does anyone have a further information?
abinferno

Re: Dan O'Brien

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:43 pm

Put your money on Ed Moses to be more successful

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:53 pm

Jimmy, you're not Greek. Only Brits call Edwin Moses "Ed."

>Put your money on Ed Moses to be more successful

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:59 pm

Are you related to the limey spotters that hang about in Trafalgar Square?

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:05 pm

I'll never tell. I may be a pigeon but I'm not a stoolie.

Postby asu » Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:19 pm

Dan O'Brien lives in Scottsdale Arizona at least some of the time. I have seen him running in a nearby park and spoken to him a few times. He told me last spring that he was competing in 2003 and would open up at Modesto. I have not seen any times, heights, or distances listed for him. I saw him at a Home Depot one Sunday afternoon and guess how many people recognized him besides me? The answer is the number of U.S. men who have broken 3:50 in recently.
asu

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:46 am

Based on O'Brien's scores through 8 events in the 2002 US Championships, it's likely that he could have scored in the 8200-8300 range. A great score, but well below his prior marks. At that point, I was thinking that he was as much of a contender for Athens as anybody. However, this year Clay scored over 8400 and Terek broke 8200 at US, and would've done so again at Worlds without a hurdles DQ. And O'Brien isn't getting any younger.

I have no clue as to his plans. I don't imagine that a former WR holder and Olympic gold medalist will make an attempt unless he has excellent odds. And, there is no chance that he can challenge Pappas right now.