Shot put Olympic Competition

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Shot put Olympic Competition

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:36 am

Re: Shot put Olympic Competition

Postby gh » Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:53 am

What a lame-brained idea! Screw the customers a little more why don't you? In case nobody has noticed, it's already going to be the thinnest Olympic program ever, since they've adopted the no-rest-day format that plagues the World Championships, meaning that things are spread out over one more day than ever before.

Note also that it says that the shot is a 2-day competition. Women's is, men's isn't. And the men's final is one of only two on the first evening of competition. How to make for a really appealing package, make people think track is an exciting sport.

If they feel compelled to do this, move the Q-rounds out of town, nothing else.
gh

Postby dl » Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:06 am

Don't do it! It sounds like a cool idea, but it'll cause many track fans, who already bought their tickets, to miss the competition. What they should do is hold a SP competition at that alternate site earlier in the year to promote the Athens GP.
dl

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:20 am

Yeah, dumb idea from just about any point of view. The irony, of course, is that there's a (small) chance that ALL the events will be "moved out of town" if Athens doesn't meet their construction schedule. Let's see, where's the next oldest functioning Olympic stadium...? See you in Stockholm!

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:32 am

Are they going to compete naked, the way they did in ancient Greece? If not, what's the point?

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:43 am

I read this in the LA Times also...what a stupid idea. What about the competitors Olympic experience? There's nothing like competing in front of 10's of thousands of spectators. It also said they were considering using the original marathon route....duh...10 months out and they just thought of that?!

Postby tafnut » Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:48 am

Yup, it's another idea that sounded cool at the time, but there's so many things wrong with it, that I wouldn't know where to begin expalining all the problems it would create. Trash it.
tafnut

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:55 am

I think it's a great idea, especially if it's for the discus throw. It would underline the historical link to the original Olympic Games. Plus by being the only event that would be going on in the stadium, the athletes would be in the limelight far more than they are now, since most spectators do not follow the throwing events closely.

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:22 pm

You're kidding right? This would be a FIASCO!

Postby Pego » Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:35 pm

Sounds like a media circus to me. You know, M. Johnson-Bailey 150 m race. The Playgirl is right. They should make all those male/female shot-putters or discus throwers compete naked. What a sight for the NBC cameras! WOW!
Pego

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:41 pm

Well, OK, now someone is finally talking some sense. I can visualize the possibilities...

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:47 pm

WAIT! On second thought, I visualized the possibilities and it scared me. Women shotputters naked? Nooooooooooo....

Postby Pego » Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:52 pm

You got it, brother :-)))
Pego

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:39 pm

>WAIT! On second thought, I visualized the
>possibilities and it scared me. Women
>shotputters naked? Nooooooooooo....>>

You can get anything you want at... a google search!

http://www.robbscelebs.co.uk/oops51/oop ... rnuss.html

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:42 pm

Cool, lots of responses... should we forward the thread to athens2004.org? They would like to hear your feedback. I agree, it is not a good idea; rather naive and impractical (although I kind liked the naked aspect of it).

Cheers

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:26 pm

I made the mistake of checking out the web link above. In order to cleanse my brain, I'll spend the next few weeks reading that definitive, 8-volume classic, "The History of Bulgarian Race Walking." Yeeeeech!

Postby hammer forever » Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:29 pm

the hammer throw has been put outside the offical stadium so often that I'm surprised that it wasn't the choice. Why not enact the ancient games, with wrestling, etc., in the ancient stadium, and leave the "modern" Olympics alone?
Hi, Louise!!
hammer forever

Postby Jnathletics » Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:47 am

I agree that ticket holders should not be cheaped by losing an event final. But the naked jokes, wasn't that done in the 1890's to De Cubertin? I believe it is a good idea to incorporate the 2004 olympics with the original stadium. So, I am not totally against it.

I thought I read that the original olympic stadium was going to house archery?

As for events if you have ever been to the stadium only a limited amount of events could be housed there with the shot put being the easiest.
Jnathletics

Postby Pego » Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:32 am

<Why not enact the ancient games, with wrestling>

You mean naked mud wrestling, of course, don't you? Co-ed perhaps, like John Candy in "Stripes"?
Pego

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:42 am

>I agree that ticket holders should not be cheaped
>by losing an event final. But the naked jokes,
>wasn't that done in the 1890's to De Cubertin? I
>believe it is a good idea to incorporate the 2004
>olympics with the original stadium. So, I am not
>totally against it.

I thought I read that the
>original olympic stadium was going to house
>archery?

As for events if you have ever been
>to the stadium only a limited amount of events
>could be housed there with the shot put being the
>easiest.

I think Athens2004 (Ms Daskalaki-Angellopoulos in particular) was referring to the ancient (2500 years old) stadium in Olympia, not the one in Athens from 1896 (which is built on top of the ancient Athens stadium). Olympia is 500-600 miles from Athens. Greek Archeologists already are furious about the idea. The Panathinaikon Stadium in Athens from 1896 will indeed be sued for the Archery (which is really cool) and for the Marathon finish.

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:50 am

Typos.... Olympia is also 250 miles from Athens more or less.... not 500.
Cheers

I think Athens2004 (Ms Daskalaki-Angellopoulos in particular) was referring to the ancient (2500 years old) stadium in Olympia, not the one in Athens from 1896 (which is built on top of the ancient Athens stadium). Olympia is 250 miles from Athens. Greek Archeologists already are furious about the idea. The Panathinaikon Stadium in Athens from 1896 will indeed be used for the Archery (which is really cool) and for the Marathon finish