Webb back in action

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Webb back in action

Postby MJD » Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:53 am

In my attempt to lobby for a completely separate forum dealing with all things Alan, he is supposed to be back in action this week-end here:

http://www.baa.org/MayorsCup/Default.asp
MJD

Re: Webb back in action

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 23, 2003 5:20 am

Consider this a threat, track fans: Alan Webb will be running this weekend.

Postby MJD » Thu Oct 23, 2003 5:30 am

>Consider this a threat, track fans: Alan Webb
>will be running this weekend.

What is your threat? Increased Webb traffic or his potential performance:-).
MJD

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 23, 2003 5:45 am

Oh, definitely his performance.

I actually find the traffic pretty amusing.

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:21 am

if everyone who ever replied in a webb or gabe thread just to push it back to the top of the board would just post right now... mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha! could we bring the internet to its knees?

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:14 pm

Well, Webb is doomed. He's apparently ignoring all the advice on a previous Webb thread that he shouldn't compete in cross country --

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:50 pm

The point of the previous thread was that training for and racing numerous seasons a year was not advantageous to a miler. Hopefully, Webb is using this as a time trial - not to be taken too seriously.

If he attempts to do more than a few xc races I think it will be a mistake. But to do this one and maybe a couple more short ones (ie. nationals short course) would be appropriate and can fit into a miler's training.

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:16 pm

<<Well, Webb is doomed. He's apparently ignoring all the advice on a previous Webb thread that he shouldn't compete in cross country -->>

That was actually EL G's advice. Thus it should be written in stone.

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:00 pm

That
>was actually EL G's advice. Thus it should be
>written in stone.

There is alot of truth to this. A miler cannot dismiss "The Greatest Miler of All Time" without careful consideration. However, not everyone is alike and while El G thinks xc is a waste of time, I think Webb is simply going back to the formula that worked for him a couple of years ago - the formula that made him the best US prep ever.

A few hard and SHORT xc races - to keep training interesting and measure progress. A few races used as time trials is alot different than training for and competing in an entire collegiate season of 10s.

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:31 pm

You just crossed everything you've been trying to claim on this board in the past couple months. It's good that you've finally admitted that you don't have all the answers. It's also a good thing real coaches don't change training philosophies in such a schizophrenic manner.

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:28 am

Little Webb should bow at the knees of EL. G. Everyone should obey EL. G track commandments. When EL. G says not to run cross country you should cut it out of your schedule.

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:54 am

>You just crossed everything you've been trying to
>claim on this board in the past couple months.
>It's good that you've finally admitted that you
>don't have all the answers. It's also a good
>thing real coaches don't change training
>philosophies in such a schizophrenic manner.

If you're referring to me, you obviously haven't read my posts very closely.

Postby abinferno » Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:33 am

I don't run cross country but my best 1500 time is only 4:37, hmmmmm. Actually I'm a decathlete so it's ok.
abinferno

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:56 pm

No, it's you who hasn't.

If you're referring to me, you
>obviously haven't read my posts very closely.

Postby MJD » Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:10 am

>Consider this a threat, track fans: Alan Webb
>will be running this weekend.

Haven't seen any results yet but here is some stuff:

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read. ... ead=245356
MJD

Postby tafnut » Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:12 am

tafnut

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:25 am

>No, it's you who hasn't.

Roger-

Then state where I "crossed" myself.

I've stated numerous times that overtraining and overracing are the problems. The collegiate schedule demands XC, indoors and outdoors. This was also El G's point in why XC shouldn't be run by milers. Many time this is demanded of athletes to keep scholarships.

Focusing on too many competitive seasons is a big problem. If a milers runs XC for timetrial purposes - and race a few competitive SHORT (5K) XC races - no harm done as long as they are training like a miler should with the spring summer season as the focal point. When a miler trains seriously to compete seriously in numerous fall 10k xc races they are asking for problems not the least of which is injury. Milers and 10k guys should be trained diffently. IMO.

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:50 am

Roger--you are out in "left field", Cyril's postings have been cogent, consistent and , in my opinion, right on the money.

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:45 pm

Alan Webb good job!.

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:03 pm

Both Lynn and Cyril conveniently forget his numerous posts decrying XC as the death of ALL American milers and that it would be better if they, especially Webb, avoided it completely. Most of the rest of us have a hard time forgeting because Cyril said it over and over and over and over.

I think it's funny, really.

Postby MJD » Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:13 pm

Excuse the interruption of the Webb debate but here are some actual results and news that go slightly beyond message boards:

"Kelly, 26, who resides in Providence, Rhode Island and who represents New Balance, beat runner-up Alan Webb, 21, of Fairfax, Virginia (Nike), by 36 seconds. Kelly’s time of 23:19..."

http://www.bostonmarathon.org/News.asp?id=82
MJD

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:21 pm

http://www.baa.org/News.asp?id=82

For complete results in the youth, championship and open competitions, go to www.coolrunning.com.

Weather conditions:
55-degrees, overcast.
Breezy; 10-12 mph, swirling winds.

MEN
1. Keith Kelly, 26, New Balance, 23:19 ($500); 2. Alan Webb, 21, Nike, 23:55 ($250); 3. Paul Mwangi, 36, Westchester Track Club, 24:02 ($150); 4. John Mortimer, 27, B.A.A., 24:08 ($100); 5. Vinny Mulvey, 25, unattached, 24:21 ($50).

MEN’S TEAMS
1. BOSTON ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION, 69 points ($500); 2. BRYN MAWR RUNNING COMPANY, 73 ($250); 3. PHILADELPHIA TRACK CLUB, 134 ($150); 4. REEBOK BOSTON, 158 ($100); 5. WESTCHESTER TRACK CLUB, 194 ($50).

WOMEN
1. Kate O’Neill, 23, Nike, 16:33 ($500); 2. Amy Rudolph, 30, adidas, 16:35 ($250); 3. Kathy Newberry, 25, adidas, 16:37 ($150); 4. Ann McGranahan, 24, Zap Fitness, 16:43 ($100); 5. Laura O’Neill, 23, Nike, 16:54 ($50).

WOMEN’S TEAMS
1. BOSTON ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION, 66 points ($500); 2. REEBOK BOSTON, 95 ($250); 3. WESTCHESTER TRACK CLUB, 157 ($150); 4. GENESEE VALLEY HARRIERS, 162 ($100); 5. ATHLETICS EAST, 174 ($50).

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:06 am

>Most of the rest of us have a hard time
>forgeting because Cyril said it over and over
>and over and over.

I think it's funny,
>really.

Roger-

No, what is funny is that you speak for "Most of the rest". And, that you know what I said better than I do.

For the final time - XC is not the problem. Overtraining and overracing are the problems. Training for and racing 10k cross can create problems for milers trying to run well in spring and summer track. Middle distance runners should focus on what is important. If track is important the year's training should be tailored with middle distance running in the spring and summer in mind. If a few xc races fit into the plan, great! But xc should not be a serious focus for middle distance runners or problems will very likely result.

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:36 am

Roger-

No, what is funny
>is that you speak for "Most of the rest". And,
>that you know what I said better than I do.
>

For the final time - XC is not the problem.
>Overtraining and overracing are the problems.
>Training for and racing 10k cross can create
>problems for milers trying to run well in spring
>and summer track. Middle distance runners should
>focus on what is important. If track is important
>the year's training should be tailored with
>middle distance running in the spring and summer
>in mind. If a few xc races fit into the plan,
>great! But xc should not be a serious focus for
>middle distance runners or problems will very
>likely result.

The BS just gets deeper and deeper with this joker. Like you've never acted like you speak for everyone else? And yes, you singled out XC again and again as the prime culprit in your overtraining and overracing claim. You said that middle distance runners should not run XC, period. Quit acting like you don't remember that. I'm going back to lurking, you're just one of those trolls who likes to talk in circles.

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:52 am

Thank you for leaving.

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:41 am

<Both Lynn and Cyril conveniently forget his numerous posts decrying XC as the death of ALL American milers and that it would be better if they, especially Webb, avoided it completely. Most of the rest of us have a hard time forgeting because Cyril said it over and over and over and over.

I think it's funny, really.>

However, it is so true. There is no other real explanation on why top US milers are 4 to 5 seconds slower than their counterparts 15-20 years ago. In the early 80's after England the US was the world's top mile producing power.
Something grave happened to US mile running after Steve Holman retired. We thought Krummenacker was the answer but he is now a top level 800meter runner. Folks Krummenacker is not going to run the 1500 in the trials next year.

Lets cross our fingers and hope that either Lunn or Berryhill make the finals in Athens.

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:50 am

pictures of results

http://www.pixel-run.com

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:51 am

I'm impressed. After the appendix things this summer Alan is showing some strong fitness this fall. A 23:55 8k cross country race for a 21 yr old miler is very good. Kennedy and Falcon would be proud of him.

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:18 am

>
I'm impressed. After the appendix things this
>summer Alan is showing some strong fitness this
>fall. A 23:55 8k cross country race for a 21 yr
>old miler is very good. Kennedy and Falcon would
>be proud of him.

Yes, while not a great time, it is a solid effort which indicates that Webb's health is back - that is what is important at this early date. Hopefully he trained through this one using it as a hard 24 minute "training" run. Track season is still 6-7 months away.

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:25 am

"while not a great time".

Hey, Todd Williams won the Southeast Conference (SEC) cross country championships with that time in 1989 on a fairly flat golf course at Auburn.

For a miler its pretty solid for October.

For a 5k/10k guy I'd agree "not a great time".

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:32 am

For a miler its
>pretty solid for October.

For a 5k/10k guy I'd
>agree "not a great time".

No arguement. I don't think time is even an issue. The important thing is that he is obviously healthy and fit. Hopefully he has his program structured so that he will be in great miling shape in the summer - I really don't care how fast he's running in October.

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:01 pm

>Thank you for leaving.

Kiss my ass, bitch.

Postby magpie » Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:16 pm

good run for webb - good run for kelly!

looking at times in xc is a rather pointless exercise, imho.
magpie

Postby MJD » Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:31 am

MJD

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:18 pm

>The collegiate schedule demands
>XC, indoors and outdoors. This was also El G's
>point in why XC shouldn't be run by milers. Many
>time this is demanded of athletes to keep
>scholarships.

Didn't seem to hurt a few guys named Lacy, Scott, Chapa, Centrowitz, Prefontaine, Liquori...

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:44 am

I dont think it matters what alan does for training.He should not listen to El G just because he is El G. Alan is alan and he should do whatever will get him back in the game he apears to have peaked that one day at the pre classic but if XC helps him get back in the game its his choice

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:49 am

He shouldn't listen to Cyril either.

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:57 am

Didn't seem to hurt a few
>guys named Lacy, Scott, Chapa, Centrowitz,
>Prefontaine, Liquori...

We've been here before. No need to go around with that again.

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:08 am

>He shouldn't listen to Cyril either.

No, Alan don't do what the best middle distance runners in the world are doing. Don't listen to the best miler in hisory, don't listen to the current best US middle distance runner.

Continue to do what has worked SO WELL well for the US milers over the past 10 years - maybe it'll work as well for you.

Postby ltd » Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:09 pm

>>He shouldn't listen to Cyril either.

No, Alan
>don't do what the best middle distance runners in
>the world are doing. Don't listen to the best
>miler in hisory, don't listen to the current best
>US middle distance runner.

Continue to do what
>has worked SO WELL well for the US milers over
>the past 10 years - maybe it'll work as well for
>you.

Don't forget that El G. is arguably the strongest, most talented miler in history, who doesn't need XC. In addition, he runs a more grueling outdoor schedule than almost anyone. Maybe his success says that there are other means, but I think it just indicates his God-given gifts (or drugs).

Anyhow, Webb skipped XC for the first time last year and it didn't help. El G could be running XC meets in the fall and he'd still be the best.
ltd

Next