My Oslo pictures

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

My Oslo pictures

Postby trackstar » Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:34 am

I can't remember if I previously posted these, so my apologies if you've seen them before. These are my pictures from my Oslo vacation this summer, which took in the Bislett games. The actual track meet pictures are in sections 2 and 3, but I encourage everyone to look at them all -- Norway is an stunningly beautiful country. Please be kind -- I am NOT a profesional photographer (not even close). The geek in the "Texas Track" shirt is me; the geek in the "Stanford Track" shirt is my good friend Bret Bloomquist, a former UT teammate and now the sports editor at the San Angelo Standard-Times.

http://babycenter.shutterfly.com/osi.js ... 527c05e465
trackstar

Re: My Oslo pictures

Postby trackstar » Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:35 am

P.S. Yes, I really was sitting that close to Sebastian Coe and Lamine Diack.
trackstar

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:40 am

Hey, these look great! Nothing to apolgize for! It's been a few years since I attended Bislett, but it really is a magical place. The stadium is (was) wonderfully intimate; the climate is just perfect in the summer; and the people are totally into it. A great, great place to see a meet.

Postby gh » Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:11 am

Ahh, shots from the glacier train between Oslo and Bergen! A side trip everybody should take if they do Bislett. Speaking of which, my spies tell me that the '05 Bislett (introducing the new stadium) may well be right after the Worlds in Helsinki. Great combo trip to plan.
gh

Postby tafnut » Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:24 am

If I'm Greta Waitz, I'm having some pretty mixed feelings about the statue. Thanks for sharing though - that trip is one on my Hot 100 that I doubt I'll get to do.
tafnut

Postby trackstar » Thu Oct 02, 2003 1:45 pm

>If I'm Greta Waitz, I'm having some pretty mixed
>feelings about the statue.

In case you're wondering, no, I don't know the good-looking blonde in front of the statue, nor was I trying to get her in the picture. In Oslo, if you take pictures, you constantly run the risk that a beautiful blonde will randomly walk in front of your camera. (Ladies, the place is also crawling with hunky guys.) I later saw her inside the stadium.

Without wanting to start a political conversation (please don't), the Norwegians tend to share my liberal leanings and my love of good mass transit. I told my friend, "They have socialized medicine; they have a great rail system; the women are beautiful ... and the beautiful women go to track meets! It's an ideal society!" :-)

If you go to the renewed Bislett, there is bar right across the street from the stadium that I recommend for pre-meet beers. Can't remember the name, but you'll spot it. But a warning: Oslo is also one of the most expensive cities in the world, and beers will run you about $8 a pop. I kid you not. We never even contemplated getting a pitcher.
trackstar