Hicham El Guerrouj

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Hicham El Guerrouj

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:07 am

If he wins the 2004 1500 meters will he be considered the greatest miler of all time.????

Re: Hicham El Guerrouj

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:09 am

No, but he will be regarded as the greatest 1500 runner of all time! :-)

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:13 am

Yea I mean't the 1500!!!

Postby miler manque » Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:41 pm

Probably from his long dominance of the mile/1500, and taking the record down considerably from the prior record, he will be at the top if he wins an Olympic gold -- but it would be wrong to say he's the greatest simply because he is now the fastest in the world ever over those distances. Then it always would be a simple matter of picking the lastest world record holder as the greatest. All you can say is that the latest world record holder is the fastest ever, not the greatest.
Seb Coe, with two Olympic golds, world records (holding 4 at one time), and a long career, would be the "greatest" in my book -- perhaps even if El G wins Oly gold --
miler manque

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 01, 2003 1:32 pm

Was not that the title for Snell no Keino no Walker no Coe no Aouita no El Guerrouj no the next guy that comes along and string together a series of top notch 1500/mile times and win an Oly title plus a Worlds or two. In other words just enjoy the man and the moment and hold the anchovies, i meant the mantle "world's greatest ever"

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 01, 2003 1:41 pm

My vote: ALAN WEBB

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:25 pm

My vote Bionic bigfoot.

Postby Powell » Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:59 pm

>Seb Coe, with two
>Olympic golds, world records (holding 4 at one
>time), and a long career, would be the
>"greatest" in my book -- perhaps even if El G
>wins Oly gold --

I don't know about the 'long career' part... Coe was only world-ranked 7 times at 1500 meters (and was no. 1 only twice), while El G has now made the rankings 9 times, including 7 first places (OK, I'm including this year's rankings, which haven't been issued yet, but I think I can guess who'll be the no. 1). If you're talking about longevity at the very top, Morceli and El G are better than anyone else in history - and El G will most probably still improve on his record.
Powell

Postby Powell » Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:02 am

I forgot to mention that of El G's 9 ranking placings, none was lower than 3rd. Also, he's a 4-times world champ, and the world-record holder over 3 distances outdoors. He's definitely been more dominant, and for a much longer period, than Coe was.
Powell

Postby miler manque » Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:00 am

At the age of 33, Seb managed to finish 2nd to Bile at the World Cup 1989 (the leading international race that year -- and Bile elbowed him inside on the final turn to get the victory). Two Olympic golds also is an achievement relating to greatness over time.
miler manque