Lagat's B sample negative!!!

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Lagat's B sample negative!!!

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:16 pm

<<Is a false negative on the B test a possibility?>>

Sure it is, just as a false negative was also possible on the A test. However, I'm guessing a false negative is even RARER than a false positive. So, the B test comes back negative -- it's time to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Drug testing is never going to be perfect. If Lagat is not using, then he's an innocent victim of a not-perfect system. If Lagat was using, then he got lucky and if he's smart he'll stop using. If not, he'll get caught eventually.

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:49 pm

actually, urine tests are the more expensive ones (see letsrun's article on don catlin, head of the UCLA lab). as someone who has spent a bit of time with kip, i hope this is just a mistake (the false positive "a") and he really wasn't doping. it does make me feel slightly better to hear this news, but also can't help but wonder about theories like, "could the time lapse between a and b sample testing produce different results?". i guess we'll never know, though we'll probably have a good idea if he never comes close to 3.26 again.

high roller

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 02, 2003 6:36 am

be careful what you ask for. Athletes will probably be seeing blood tests in the very near future ( i have that from a very good source) and also there is the hair folicle testing procedure. Very accurate, but prohibitively expensive given the numbers of athletes to test.

The problem that I continue to see is that IAAF publicizes or somehow cons the athlete into public disclosure prior to the actual b sample testing and then uses any incriminating statement made in response to the IAAF leak, against the athlete in subsequent determination (see the Kelli White case).

Postby gh » Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:24 am

If you want to better understand both the science and protocol of the testing, this piece by Jim Ferstle on RW today is a must-read:

http://www.runnersworld.com/home/0,1300 ... WS,00.html
gh