Celebrity sighting!

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Celebrity sighting!

Postby trackstar » Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:34 am

At the Austin City Limits Festival (humongous annual music festival here) I ran into Amy Acuff for the second year in a row. This year, she was accompanied by fiance Tye Harvey. Always weird to run into people like that out of context. Kind of like the first time you realized your elementary school teachers were real people with real lives, not just robots who were turned off at night when you left school. :-)
trackstar

Re: Celebrity sighting!

Postby 6 5.5hjsteve » Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:06 am

I bumped into Bob Kennedy at an NCAA basketball tournament doubleheader last year the same way. I am sure virtually nobody but me recognized him.
6 5.5hjsteve

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:27 pm

In the fall of 1990, I eat dinner with George Kersh (#5 Ranked in 800m that year) and the rest of the Ole Miss Cross Country team at a cafeteria in Jackson, MS. While we were there Calvin Smith (#6 in the 100M that yr and former WR holder) came in and stopped by to chat (he was living in the area). No one in the cafeteria or the mall recognized it was in recognized either of them (in what is essentially their hometowns). Pablo Sierra (marathoner from Spain) was with us and could not believe it, said in Europe those two would have been mobbed by autograph seekers and could not have a peaceful meal together. Here in the USA in their hometown they went un-noticed.

Postby MJR » Mon Sep 29, 2003 2:33 pm

I met Captain Lou Albano in a Sizzler!!!
MJR

Celebrity sighting!

Postby bushop » Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:27 pm

This afternoon, after chatting with 2-time Olympic long jumper Jong-Il Kim, I chased 2-time Olympic steepler and bronze medalist Brian Diemer after he said I smelled (did not catch him, he will get his, he can't get to far on the bus).
bushop

Celebrity sighting!

Postby bushop » Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:28 pm

correction ... Diemer ... 3-time Olympian
bushop

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 30, 2003 4:56 am

thats nothing. i had coffee talking with Obadele Thompson (worlds fastest man EVER (with wind)) yesterday at the Barnes and Nobles. Then I ran into Scott Henning (US PV indoor champ1999) at the movies. Sandra Farmer Patrick Patrick Farmer Great and I were in check-out line at the grocery store and she was short 3 pennies so I had an extra nickle and feeling rather magnanomous I can say that she owes me a favor. Look, great athletes live very regular lives. They are everywhere. thats the beauty of track.

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:08 am

Track Guys and Gals tend to be low key and fairly modest for a couple of reasons I think.
1. Track is not real popular in the US and they do not have "posses"
2. Even though World class track people are. I think, the best athletes, (recall how well they ahve donein the Superstart) The competition is so vicious at the world class level, you can drop from number 1 in the world to not even ranked the next year very easily. I think this affords some level of modesty...although recently..certain USA track guys have been less than classy.
3. Track people are considerably smarter than football and basketball players.

Postby trackstar » Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:25 am

Funny thing -- about six hours after making my original post about Amy yesterday, I ran into her again at my neighborhood bicycle shop. Good god, she's tall. I'm 6-1, and I was looking up at her. I decided not to pester her this time -- I wouldn't want her to think I was stalking her. And believe me, if I ever ended up in court for stalking Amy Acuff, my wife would testify against me. :-)
trackstar

Postby jhc68 » Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:47 am

Montreal, 1976... watched the long jump finals, ate dinner and got on the subway to go back to our rental and ran into Randy Williams with his medal around his neck still dressed in USA sweats and holding his little good luck stuffed bear in the mobs waiting for a train... it was a different world then!!!
jhc68

Postby Powell » Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:28 am

Well, last year I saw Reyes Estevez on the subway in Munich a day after he won silver at the European Champs. Maybe the world hasn't changed all that much ;-)
Powell

Postby sl » Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:24 am

Reminds me of what seemed to me to be a telling contrast at the Atlanta Olympics, where money talked louder than at any other Games I've ever attended. I recall walking past a club where the U.S. basketball Dream Team was partying one night, and they had security swarming around the place (Atlanta cops, as I recall; who knows who was footing the bill) and limos lined up outside (at USOC expense?) so that any player who decided to call it a night would have immediate transport back to their hotel.

The great contrast was seeing Mark Croghan, after he had just placed 5th in the steeple, leaving the stadium on a MARTA train and no one even offering him a seat.

>Well, last year I saw Reyes Estevez on the subway
>in Munich a day after he won silver at the
>European Champs. Maybe the world hasn't changed
>all that much ;-)
sl

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:14 am

Two things: running (actually, walking) into Geb on the street at Zurich one year was just the best. He was happy to stop, shake hands, chat a little, etc. He's in a league entirely his own. Second: sitting next to Gwen Torrence a while back at an awards ceremony. She is simply wonderful--the most delightful, friendly, low-key person imaginable.