Tergat WR

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Tergat WR

Postby miler manque » Wed Oct 01, 2003 1:28 pm

>Ahnold's success aside, immigrants with accents
>don't do well in the U.S. when it comes to making
>anything but "direct money." A gold for KK
>would accrue virtually no benefit. He's far
>better off--in terms of bucks--being a road
>whore.

I agree about the difficulties immigrants face. It would take marketing skills, but it's not impossible that he could be big. Athletes of many colors score big in the U.S.
KK will surely get more appearance-fee money as Olympic champ. And he only has to give up 1, maybe 2 races to go for the Olympics.
miler manque

Postby MJD » Wed Oct 01, 2003 1:58 pm

>KK will surely get more appearance-fee
>money as Olympic champ. And he only has to give
>up 1, maybe 2 races to go for the Olympics.

Ignoring the glory aspect which I am not minimizing but it is just so subjective, let us assume that a gold is worth 1 million and let's further assume that he has a 10% chance of winning it. The marathon can be very cruel. I don't know if that % is accurate but I am just using it for purposes of the calculation. He would compare 10% of 1 million to the certainty of appearance money at 2 races and a % of the prize money level of the each of the top positions at the 2 races he is running.
MJD

Postby Pego » Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:28 pm

I am not sure, but I think that the "immigrant baggage" is being exagerated here. Was Sidney Maree discriminated against? Or Meb?
Pego

Postby miler manque » Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:59 pm

First, I think KK will go for the glory; after all, it's got to be a major motivation for him. But looking just at the financial part of it, I think on balance he'll think it a good investment. While surely the Olympics is more chancy than Chicago, winning a big non-Oly race is no sure thing either. He could cramp, suffer injury, be out of the prize money. The attention he'd get in the run-up to the Olympics (cover of SI? T&F News?) would be invaluable to him in establishing a name beyond the narrow world of track nuts.
miler manque

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:52 pm

>>Tergat is "A" favourite.
>That
>can't be
>disputed. So you can't quibble
>with the
>NYT
>there. You are just saying that
>you
>don't
>think that he is
>"THE"
>favourite.>

Which is not what the
>NYT is
>saying.

That was the point I was
>making.>

Which I fully understood. Maybe if we beat into the Neuro guy he'll get it.

jd