Interesting article from The Guardian

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Interesting article from The Guardian

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:04 am

Written by Simon Wariso, a one-time sprinter for Britain.

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/athletics/s ... 48,00.html

Illuminates some problems inherent in the system that are beyond the control of IAAF or USATF.

Re: Interesting article from The Guardian

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:25 am

Interesting, to be sure. Too bad it's so long on message-board gossip and so light on hard facts. Typical Brit US-bashing.

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:05 am

So, who would be the last sprinters one could be sure were "drug free"? Hines, Greene, Tommie Smith, Bob Hayes, Henry Carr; and on the women's side, Wyomia Tyus, Wilma Rudolph? - though it is widely said Evelyn Ashford was always "clean"

Postby ndamix » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:11 am

It's interesting this gentleman only cites U.S. athletes. Why didn't he look closer at home? Mark Richardson, Jason Livingston, and even that instance with Linford Christie come to mind.

I'm not bashing. However, if we're looking at who is benefit from the results of taking performance-enhancing drugs, don't just look at the US athletes.
ndamix

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:11 am

It's well known that members of the '64 and '68 Olympic teams used steroids. Why not, they were legal. I have no idea if any of the people you name used them, but they certainly could have, leading to the wonderful gray area of clean vs "clean"