Testing SOP's

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Testing SOP's

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:03 am

What is the standard for testing in the US and at international competition? With the uproar over recent positive tests, it has me to wondering what is the testing proceedures?

Who performs the tests? Who verifies those tests? Who verifies that the testers do not have a conflict of interest? Who verifies the verifiers?

I understand that these tests are very expensive.

I can think of some bad scenarios. An athlete is very critical of his/her national track governing body and when they test him/her randomly the next month he or she tests positive.

The loud mouth American is bad mouthing the competition and certain countries at a major championships and then he tests positive for a banned substance by the testing agency of that championships which is hosted by a country who the athlete was bad mouthing.

I'm not saying this has happened but I'd feel alot better about the whole systems if their were a uniform system with plenty of checks and balances for everyone (athletes and testers).

If you are going to test then do it right so that no one can game the system and if you can't then don't test. Level the playing field one way or another. And if you can't accurately test for something don't ban it.

What you can't continue to do is let some countries not test their athletes while other countries do. The IAAF and IOC need to set a fair system that is applied uniformly everywhere and has very severe penalties, regardless of the country, club or governing body. If you can't do that then forget about testing because you are just making it unfair for many.

Re: Testing SOP's

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:13 am

What I mean by some countries not testing their athletes is that some do not appear to be performaning random testing or only testing with plenty of advance warning to the clubs and athletes.

Re: Testing SOP's

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:36 am

On the BBC website at:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athleti ... 194041.stm
there is an article about Kelli White's investigation just after it was announced. About halfway down the page, there is a link to 'inside a drug test' that gives a vivid (even humorous) step by step explanation of a test procedure.