Edwin Moses Comeback

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Edwin Moses Comeback

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:28 am

Anyon see the report yesterday that Edwin Moses is making a comeback. He says he is just going to compete in age group races but hopes to make the 50.5 qualifying time needed for the trials. He says he has no dream of making the Oly team again but thinks he might be able to make the trials.

If it is possible I think Edwin would be the one to be able to do it.

Re: Edwin Moses Comeback

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:33 am

Hey, I guess everyone needs a hobby...

Postby MJD » Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:34 am

>Anyon see the report yesterday that Edwin Moses
>is making a comeback.

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/tfn/di ... hread=1709
MJD

Postby Alan » Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:37 am

Reminds me of Mark Spitz trying to make a swimming comeback for the '92 Olympics, a full 20 years after winning his seven gold medals in '72. Spitz might have been more serious than Moses about contending for a medal, however. Spitz claimed to be swimming faster times than in '72, as I recall; the only problem was that other swimmers were bettering his old marks by even more. I recall watching a made-for-TV match race between Spitz and Tom Jager. I found the following blurb on the web in an ABC Wide World of Sports archive (April 13, 1991):

"Mark Spitz begins his very public comeback to competitive swimming with a spot on the 1992 Olympic team as his goal. In this 50-meter butterfly match race, he is soundly beaten by Tom Jager."

http://espn.go.com/abcsports/wwos/milestones/1990s.html

I believe Al Oerter might also have been recording PR's during his 1980 comeback, but I'll defer to the many highly knowledgeable commentators on this board to set the record straight on that one.
Alan

Postby MJR » Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:45 am

Comeback successful or not, its pathetic that the 6th largest newsrag in the US (Newsday) gave more print space to a 48 yr old has been, no matter how great he WAS, than to the entire week of the meet, even with the White drug issues and dq of Drummond.
MJR

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:35 pm

I hear Jim Ryun is making a comeback.