What happened to Usain Bolt?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

What happened to Usain Bolt?

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 01, 2003 4:06 pm

Did he even run in WC03?

Re: What happened to Usain Bolt?

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 01, 2003 4:56 pm

>Did he even run in WC03?>

He was handed the 200m gold following the lobbying efforts of some of the contributors to this board.

Postby tafnut » Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:01 pm

The Jamaicans didn't want to embarrass the USA by having a boy beat them. On behalf of every American alive, I thank them. ;-)
tafnut

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 01, 2003 6:13 pm

>The Jamaicans didn't want to embarrass the USA by
>having a boy beat them. On behalf of every
>American alive, I thank them. ;-)

The "boy" didn't look too hot at Penn. He may be a prospect, but he has a looooooong way to go! Those who are making him the Kobe Bryant of track are a little premature with that action. Peace.

Postby DentyCracker » Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:50 pm

I think he would have made the final without too much trouble. Ricardo Williams was fifth in his semifinal and he beat Ricardo easily at National Championships. He apparently missed two weeks of training close to championships because he had viral conjunctivitis so they decided not to risk him.
DentyCracker

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:36 am

I think we should take a wait-and-see approach with Bolt.

He is obviously quite talented and could be great. But like I've said in several other threads, the track and field graveyard is littered with guys who were great early and fizzled out.

Most great sprinters are late bloomers rather than early ones.

Time will tell whether Bolt is Michael Johnson or Obea Moore.

Postby sl » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:31 am

I spoke with him the day before the meet started and he said that due to the conjunctivitis (pink eye) he'd had a decision would soon be made about whether he'd run the 200. He looked perfectly healthy, although he said something to the effect he was feeling "pretty good." He didn't appear super confident. I suspect the real story may have been that the Jamaicans decided he wasn't ready to medal and, thus, it was better not to put him under the spotlight in a "failing" effort.

If my hunch is right, I just hope they don't carry this protectiveness to the protracted extreme that Borzakovskiy's coach did with his young star.
sl