Change The Olympic 1500 To The Mile.....

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Change The Olympic 1500 To The Mile.....

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:55 am

.....to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the 4:00 mile. Ya think the IOC would change it? Do you think the athletes would like it? How much would it cost to change the event now? Just a suggestion. Peace.

Re: Change The Olympic 1500 To The Mile.....

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:14 am

The mile in my opinion is still more legitimate than the 1500 meters.

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:50 am

The 1500m start is down a long straightaway that safely accomodates a larger field. The mile would start very near the first turn with potential for collisions unless the field was reduced to eight runners in lanes with a staggered start in the manner of 800m.

Another consideration: Inamuch as the 1500m has been a part of the modern Olympics since they began in 1896, building a lot of history and tradition, change now to the mile seems unlikely.

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:00 am

Makes no sense. The mile is mostly archaic now, supported only by nostalgia buffs.

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:15 am

Talk about Anglo-centric chauvinism! Yeah let's make the 98% of the world do the bidding of the 2%.

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:07 am

The Roger Bannister 4:00 mile may be the most important event in the history of middle distance running. I only propose the change for Athens, and not for any future events. Athens + 50 years makes for a good commemoration. Just my opinion. Peace.

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:58 am

"History" is the operative term here, not "present" or "future".

Bannister's sub-4:00 has nothing whatsoever to do with the Olympics.

Postby Vince » Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:34 pm

Great idea. Shoot for NYC if they get the Olympics. Meets with all metric races are boring to the public. That 2% figure is phoney, the U.S. accounts for more than 2% of the world population alone. These same naysayers probably want to change the Marathon to 20000. metres.
Vince

Postby tafnut » Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:50 pm

"the U.S. accounts for more than 2% of the world population"

you are so right

US pop: not even 300,000,000
World pop: over 6,000,000,000

that's 5%.
tafnut

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 01, 2003 6:07 pm

>Great idea. Shoot for NYC if they get the
>Olympics. Meets with all metric races are boring
>to the public. That 2% figure is phoney, the
>U.S. accounts for more than 2% of the world
>population alone. These same naysayers probably
>want to change the Marathon to 20000. metres.

I would only want it during Athens because it's the 50th anniversary. The mile race may have no significance in 2012. Just my observation. Peace.

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 01, 2003 6:21 pm

The mile has a certain tradition and cachet to it. I guess it is all part of the mythic aura around man's quest to break the 4-minute mile. Some believe speculation about breaking a 4-minute mile began during the late 19th century when English runner Walter George set a mile record of 4:12 in 1886. It was 67 years later that Roger Bannister finally broke the magical 4-minute mile. During the time between Walter George's 4:12 mile and Bannister's famous run many experts believed it was impossible for any man to maintain a 15+ mph pace for one mile. Some rather humorous comments in the 30's said a man's lungs would burst like a balloon if a four-minute mile was attempted. Another report stated that a four-minute mile would pose "a great risk to the cardiovascular system". Some just stated man would never break a four-minute mile.

In short the 4-minute mile represent one of mans most profound athletic accomplishments.

Interesting to note that the world fastest women mile runners are now close to Walter George's 1886 time. Could the first female sub-4 minute mile be a half-century away? I believe a women will someday run a sub 4-minute mile. When it comes to breaking a 4 minute mile the naysayers have always proven to be wrong. It would be unwise to mock the possiblity of any women breaking a 4-minute mile within the next fifty years.

I believe the next great Track and Field event will happen when a women runs a 4-minute mile, and it will happen within the next fifty years. I think the history of the mile run backs up my thesis

Postby tafnut » Mon Sep 01, 2003 6:42 pm

I have always thought the 4-minute mile 'mythic aura' was rather silly. The mile is an arbitrary distance. The quarter mile track is arbitrary. The whole thing is just a long series of coincidental happenstances. Getting to the top of the world's highest mountain (same year?) is much more monumental. Sorry.
tafnut

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:19 pm

>That 2% figure is phoney, the
>U.S. accounts for more than 2% of the world
>population alone.

Yeah, but less than 2% of the world's track fans.

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:20 pm

>Meets with all metric races are boring
>to the public.

Meets with the mile included are boring to the public. Nothing to be gained by adding the mile.

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:18 pm

The mile is the premiere event at any track meet.
One sportcaster used to call the mile the lion of all track events.

You could call the mile the main feature of any track meet. Everything else is just a preview.

Who the heck cares about the shot put. Watching a guy throw a metal ball is hardly exciting.

The drama and excitement of the mile will never be topped. I like watching the strategy develope during a good mile race. The 100 meters just happens to fast.

Postby Per Andersen » Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:41 pm

>Getting to the top of the world's highest mountain (same year?) is much more monumental.

How monumental can it be for you if you don't even know the year. Everest was May 29 '53 and the 4min mile was on May 6 1954. Come on! Bannister's run was more monumental. Are we track fans or what? Besides I happen to believe that Mallory and Irvine made Everest in the 20's.
Per Andersen