World Championships Finals were Awesome!

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

World Championships Finals were Awesome!

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 31, 2003 4:32 pm

Being a middle distance runner myself, I always pay special attention to these races when they come on the tele, but I found just about every competition to be very interesting to the end. Of course the 10k and 1500 at the beginning of the week got me going, with my "favs", but the drama of the sprints, jumps and (hard to say), throws was equally inspiring.

Today's womens 1500 upset and the men's 5000 (photo lean) were worth the anticipated wait!!

All in all a great set up for Athens!!

One thing for sure, I am definitely an El G fan for life! He wins with class and loses (not often) with even more class!! US sprinters take note.

ty

Re: World Championships Finals were Awesome!

Postby trackstar » Sun Aug 31, 2003 6:42 pm

I agree. This was a heck of a meet. The LJ and 200 marks were obviously pretty weak, but the distances and several field events were just awesome.
trackstar

Postby Randy Treadway » Sun Aug 31, 2003 8:58 pm

Part of the reason the middle distance and distance races seem so awesome, is because they are contrasted against recent World Championships and Olympics which have been contested on rock hard tracks.
The Paris track surface was obviously 'set up' to favor these runners, so performances were more like we've seen on the best of the GP circuit the last few years.

As it should be!- but then I'm admittedly prejudiced in favor of middle distance runners, given the short shrift they get in the U.S. to typically sprint-centric fan & media focus. :)
Randy Treadway

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 01, 2003 4:57 am

Great Meet. The 5000 may be the best since Coe v. Straub v. Ovett in Moscow 1980.

very competitive 4x4s. Great upset in the women's 1500.

I don't think the Paris track had anything to do with the slow sprints. The sprint times were reflective of this year. Just a down year for fast sprint times.

You don't see the big world records as in recent years, but you do see a lot of great competition and close races. Peace.

Postby DentyCracker » Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:20 am

I believe the track was soft. Great for distance good for noo injuries, but slow
DentyCracker

Postby Jon » Mon Sep 01, 2003 6:54 am

I don't think the Paris track had
>anything to do with the slow sprints. The sprint
>times were reflective of this year. Just a down
>year for fast sprint times.

I agree. The women's sprint times were testimony to the fact that it was a pretty quick track (10.85, 10.93, 10.99 / 22.05 / 48.89).

The men's equivalent to the female winning times are 9.86 / 19.85 / 43.48, according to the mercier scoring tables. Goes to show just how down the men's sprints are this year.
Jon

Postby tafnut » Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:05 am

Or, as I said before, the women's lighter frames were not slowed as much by the spongy track as the men's heavier frames were. Who is going to 'sink into the track' more? I ain't no physicist, but the relationship seems pretty obvious.
tafnut

Postby LightningStrikesTwice » Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:24 am

Sure wasa nice champs this time. They cleaned up the area around the stadium which they normally don't do for (European) football. The dog doo doo so common on all the sidewalks in Europe was not to be seen. Security was very lax, I guess the French feel they are immune from world events. It rained only for a short while on Saturday (as I recall). And the highlight for the locals was of course L'quippe winning it's first gold medal. Drummond and Montgomery didn't shine, Acuff did as usual, AS DID PAPPAS !
LightningStrikesTwice

Postby LightningStrikesTwice » Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:24 am

Sure was a nice champs this time. They cleaned up the area around the stadium which they normally don't do for (European) football. The dog doo doo so common on all the sidewalks in Europe was not to be seen. Security was very lax, I guess the French feel they are immune from world events. It rained only for a short while on Saturday (as I recall). And the highlight for the locals was of course L'quippe winning it's first gold medal. Drummond and Montgomery didn't shine, Acuff did as usual, AS DID PAPPAS !
LightningStrikesTwice

Postby rmayes » Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:08 pm

Wasn't this the same track that Tim Montgomery ran the 100m world record on last year? Have they replaced the track since then? If not then it can't be that slow even with the 2 m/s tail wind that Tim had.
rmayes

Postby DentyCracker » Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:09 pm

No, it was a different stadium in Paris
DentyCracker

Postby Petros » Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:48 am

I've always wondered if air quality makes a difference. This meet was in one of the most congested metropolitan areas on earth. It's sea-level air, but it ain't very fresh. Szabo, who can ordinarily do 14:45 in her sleep, barely (by about half a second) cracked 15:00. Ayhan ran the same pace she ran for her 3:55 the week before, but this time she ran out of gas down the stretch, and it seemed to be as much of a surprise to her as it was to the rest of us. Was it the track? The air? The water? The wine? What?
Petros

Postby ndamix » Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:07 am

These were probably the most unpredictable championships ever (and I'm not just saying that because I didn't do so hot in the prediction contest). I haven't seen this much uncertainity since the 1976 Olympics.

However, despite alot of the uncertainity that abounded (and the off-track drama with Jon Drummond, Tim Montgomery, Maurice Greene, and Kelli White), this definitely has to rate as one of the best championships ever.

Kelli's 100/200 double, Guevera's sub-49 second win in the 4, Phillips' come-from-behind win in the LJ, Young's upset over Washington in the 4, and Capel's vindication in the 200 were some of the most memorable images I'll take with me going into 2004.
ndamix

Postby 6 5.5hjsteve » Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:18 am

I have post-WC depression !!!
6 5.5hjsteve

Postby gh » Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:26 am

>I have post-WC depression !!!>>

me too--no more beer and foie gras breakfasts! :-)
gh

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:45 am

>I've always wondered if air quality makes a
>difference. This meet was in one of the most
>congested metropolitan areas on earth. It's
>sea-level air, but it ain't very fresh. Szabo,
>who can ordinarily do 14:45 in her sleep, barely
>(by about half a second) cracked 15:00. Ayhan ran
>the same pace she ran for her 3:55 the week
>before, but this time she ran out of gas down the
>stretch, and it seemed to be as much of a
>surprise to her as it was to the rest of us. Was
>it the track? The air? The water? The wine? What?

The heats. She isn't use to running qualifyers. That makes a difference. Look at Borzakovskiy. He probably could have sustained his kick a bit longer without rounds. He should have held steady around the curve, then blasted the straight, but he kept pushing and paid the price. Great 800 final though. Tough running there, same with the final straight in the 5k and 1600 relay. Great stuff.

Postby Petros » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:14 am

Ayhan looked like she needed a hug after her race. She looked shattered. Maybe it was the heats that did her in. But speaking of heats - and impressive performances - I noticed another girl in that race, a dark-haired Russian with a short upper body and long legs. Hadn't I seen her in another race? Turns out I had.
Her name is Zadorozhnaya (or something like that). She ran:
- a 1500 heat Tuesday
- a 5000 heat Wednesday
- another 1500 heat Friday (passing Jacobs to eliminate her)
- then the 5000 final Saturday
- and the 1500 final Sunday.
She's a horse!
Petros